The Element: A Shift in the W...

By bonnie_a_clyde

"In nature, water decides when it starts and when it stops. The storm goes where it wants and it's power come... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1- All Roads Lead Home
Chapter 2- True Mate
Chapter 3- Reunited
Chapter 4- Dormant
Chapter 5-Broken
Chapter 6- Bacon Hangry
Chapter 7- Hanger
Chapter 8- To the Moon
Chapter 9- Angel
Chapter 10- Bath Bombs, Boots, & Bluegrass
Chapter 11- Someday
Chapter 12- Welcome Back
Chapter 13- Everly-sit
Chapter 14- Charlie's Diner
Chapter 15- Danny Knows
Chapter 16- Art By Fire
Chapter 17- Pack Meeting
Chapter 18- Hot Cocoa and Batman Pajamas
Chapter 19- Healing Grounds Book Cafe
Chapter 20- Costume Shopping
Chapter 21-Music Magic
Chapter 22- Safe & Sound
Chapter 23- Halloween Fest
Chapter 24- Monsters
Chapter 25-The Devil Claws
Chapter 26- Secrets Untold
Chapter 27- Grand Slam
Chapter 28 -Lemon and Lavender
Chapter 29- Beneath the Skin
Chapter 30- She's Gone
Chapter 31- Her Wolf is Here
Chapter 32- Origin
Chapter 33- She Has Awoken
Chapter 34- Mountain Sound
Chapter 35- Dirty Paws
Chapter 36- From Across the Stars
Chapter 37- Love & Magic
Chapter 38-Tattoos, Twerking and Something Tasty
Chapter 39- The Water Element
Chapter 40- Once a Hero, Always a Hero
Chapter 41- I Lullaby Love You
Chapter 42-Momma
Chapter 43- Revelation
Chapter 44- Hope
Chapter 45- Free Will
Chapter 46- The Mark
Chapter 48- Second Helpings & Second Chances
Chapter 49- From Ashes
Chapter 50- To Life
Chapter 51- Wedding Crashers
Chapter 52- Thousand Eyes
Chapter 53- Like a River
Chapter 54- Holy Moly
Epilogue-After the Storm
From Me to You

Chapter 47- Thanksgiving

2.3K 157 22
By bonnie_a_clyde

Be thankful for what you have.
Your life, no matter how bad you think it is,
is someone else's fairytale.
-Wale Ayeni

Zeke

The blade of my knife slices delicately through the thick flesh of the tomato. "How did you want these cut up, Dan?"

My best friend is hovering near the oven, checking the turkey's internal temperature, "Cut, gut, and chop into bite-size pieces."

Muffled laughter comes from Trent who is sitting at the kitchen island. He's struggling with the can opener trying to maneuver the device around an aluminum container of jellied cranberry sauce. Danny and I both stop to look at him, surprised by his rare public display of humor.

He glances up at us and stops. "Inside joke," he shrugs. "Had to be there." Shaking my head at his crudeness, I get back to the task at hand.

Danny has been cooking up a storm for our Thanksgiving dinner. Undertones of butter and rosemary mingle with the overtones of turkey, ham, and ménage of other spices. It's such a welcoming aroma that feels like a familiar hug.

Enlisting the help of the pack, he's given everyone a task. Trent and I are helping prep food, while Mason and Micah are setting up the table and chairs. Everly is helping Mom decorate the lodge with gourds and pumpkins.

Booming cheers erupt from the den, where Dad and Charlie are watching football. Trent groans as he looks in that direction, "Can I be done now? Cans are opened and the goop inside is sliced and plated, as per your instructions."

Danny closes the oven and wipes his hands along the floral pattern of his borrowed apron. Walking over to Trent's side, he examines his work, "Good job. Don't go far though, I'll need your knife skills when it's time to carve up the turkey." Trent chuckles to himself as he shuffles out of the kitchen.

"How about that?" Danny bemuses. "Got two almost laughs out of that asshole." I look at him and his face becomes somber before he adds, "It's a Thanksgiving miracle." We both laugh as we continue preparing dinner.

"Well," a recognizable, Irish lilt chimes. "Isn't this a picture to remember." Caylin is standing nearby, holding up her phone and chuckling, "Smile, Danny Boy! That apron really does bring out the color of your motorcycle boots."

Laughing at her antics, I watch as Danny begins to fume, "Piss off, Caylin." And I laugh harder when Caylin just smiles bigger, a fire of amusement flickering in her malachite eyes.

"Danny Anderson," Charlotte scolds as she walks into the kitchen, followed by the gaggle of other Elementals, "watch your language!"

I can't help but smile to myself as Danny's expression morphs into one of pride. He's been wanting his mother back in his life for so long. I imagine even her reprimanding him brings a bit of joy to his heart.

Thea and Bel step up to the island and place covered dishes on the counter. "What are these?" I question.

Bel places her hands on her hips and I catch the caption on the t-shirt beneath her green and black checkered flannel: Thankful, Blessed, and Mashed Potato Obsessed. "Well, Zeke," she says, "Thea here is a vegetarian and I have a strict
'no eating things with wings' policy." Leaning forward she stage whispers, "Kinda feels like cannibalism."

"Its an avian shifter thing," Seri explains.

"Right," Bel continues, "So, Thea made some meatless casserole and Caylin made pies."

Charlotte peeks into the covered dish, "Looks yummy. Girls, let's go find Everly and Bev. We'll let these two foul-mouthed heathens finish our supper."

"Hey, I didn't say anything," I clarify.

She smiles over her shoulder and replies, "No, but you thought he was funny."

Mason and Micah pass the ladies as they leave the kitchen, "Oooo pie!" Mason says as he sits at the counter. Lifting the lid, he examines the food Thea prepared, "What the hell is this?"

I laugh at his disgusted expression, "It's vegetarian."

Micah leans over and takes in the grain and mushroom concoction, "Well, at least Trent will have something else to eat."

Closing the lid, Danny scoffs, "Don't even get me started on that. I get Bel's reasoning for not eating poultry, she's basically half bird. I even understand Thea not eating meat. She's the Earth Element and she's like half fae. But Trent? How many shifters do you know that don't eat meat?"

"Just Trent," I shrug.

"Exactly," the three of them reply in unison.

A loud, high-pitch squeal erupts from the entryway, "We're here! Come give your Gram some sugar!"

As if we have travelled back to our adolescence, I meet the eyes of the others, all widening with shared excitement. We clamor towards the hall. Pulling and shoving each other as we race towards the most beautiful woman in the world.

Debbie 'Gram' Jackson is not just my grandmother, she's all of ours. Her love transcends bloodline and pours out from her like a beacon of light. No matter what life presents or mistakes we make, Grams is there with a kind smile, a hug, and a stiff kick in the ass if needed.

I stay back and allow the guys to greet her first. Her salt and pepper curls hang loosely down her back as she reaches up to hug each of the guys. "Oh my heavens! How I've missed my boys," she gushes.

A firm clamp on the shoulder pulls my attention away from Gram and towards the mischievous twinkle of my grandfather's chestnut eyes. "Ezekiel," his resonant voice greets.

"Pop," I reply.

His thick, silver mustache hides his lips, but the creases near his eyes deepen providing proof that he's smiling. Pulling me into a hug, Pop wraps his lanky arms around me and pats my back. His familiar scent of wood chips and Old Spice are etched into my memory like my own name.

"Hand him over, J.J.," Gram demands.

Pop releases me and looks down at his wife, "Woman, let me say 'hello' to my grandson." Chuckling at her lifted eyebrow, Pop leans down and kisses her forehead. "I forgot, 'never get between a grandma-wolf and her grand-pup.'"

Gram steps into my space and embraces me tightly. I return her hug and kiss the top of her head. The perfume she wears comforts me as it encircles me with memories from my childhood. "A little birdie told me that you have found your true mate, Ezekiel," leaning away, she stares into my eyes, "Where is she?"

"I'm here," Everly announces from behind me.

Turning, I beam at my mate who radiates happiness. The entry space is overflowing with people now. The entire pack and the Elementals have joined the welcome of my grandparents. I join them as we watch Gram step over to Everly. The two petite woman stand at equal height and determination.

"Everly Anderson," Gram sings. "I've been praying for this moment."

"For Zeke to find his mate?" Everly asks.

Shaking her head, Gram cups Everly's face in her hands, "No, my dear. For you to come home."

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
Y'all...this update took way too long. If you read my Confessions of the Rambling Writer post then you are aware that the last few weeks have been tough. I lost my father and uncle in one week and writing had to take a back burner. Then, every time I got a moment to write...I couldn't. Words just failed me. I am thankful for this outlet of expression, but sometimes you just need to be still and be present.

Anyways, I'm back to writing and hope that you will stay with me! Just a reminder: all my updates are unedited. If you see a mistake, please point them out. I will be eternally thankful.

As always, thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please leave a comment and don't forget to vote.

This chapter is dedicated to lily56678. Thank you for reading and voting!!!

Again, please vote, comment, and share my book. I will love you forever and like you for always!!

Remember:  your words fuel mine! X O X O

Your friend and Member of Avian Shifters Against Poultry Consumption (ASAPC- Eat More Beef™️),
Bon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 142 36
Earth, Fire, Water and Air the four elements would be the key. Four wolves will awaken there powers to fight against the dark hunters hellbent on des...
55 1 34
Kairos is the name, just your average magically gifted Guardian running from her problems... Years ago I walked away from my home, Empire Island, and...
63 22 18
This is the first story in the Elemental Wolf Series. Kalama Edwards spent her childhood being alone. Despite being the only child to her packs, Alph...
314 38 21
Vampires , Werewolves , Dragons , Demons , Witches.. These Kingdoms always seem to be peaceful on the surface but under the covers , vampires and wol...