As A Friend

Per istolethecookiez

College is supposed to be different from high school, yet here I am living almost exactly how I was back then... Més

Prologue
1: There Goes My Party Virginity
2: Have you seen my frisbee?
3: You Slept with His Sister
4: You Rejected Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
5: Drunk Texts
6: Splat
7: Unsatisfactory
8: An After Prom Experience
9: Maritza's Little Crush
10: My Blue Heart
11: Nova, the Piece of Shit
12: How a Guy Should Treat You
13: Horses Are Creepy
14: And Dessert!
15: You Have My Number
16: Was it with a guy?
17: So how was it?
18: Midday Naps
19: My Gift to You
20: Accidentally
21: Tailgating
22: Nox
23: My Old, New Friend
25: Thanks, Arnold
26: A Birthday Celebration
27: Beat You at Your Own Game
28: That Dreaded Holiday
29: A KitKat Just to be Safe
30: Friendship Mode Activated
31: West's Night
32: Drunk Card
33: The Big Reveal
Epilogue
Dominic's Perspective: Chapter 15
Dominic's Perspective: Chapter 16
Dominic's Perspective: Chapter 32
Dominic's Perspective: Last Few Days of Senior Year

24: Date

11.3K 832 183
Per istolethecookiez

Click the link to the side and admire a cover that @-destiel- made for me :D She doesn't make covers by request but I really liked this one so I figured I'd show it off to y'all. 

"Are you going to talk to him?" Kat presses as we sit in the dining hall. Dominic, West, and Jack are a couple tables over and they're speaking a little over regular volume. I glance at them and offer Kat a shrug.

"I'm not going to be the first one to speak to him." It's stubborn and it's stupid but I reached out twice and I got no response.

"Now you're just being petty," she responds with a sigh.

"He's already gone five days without talking to me. He clearly doesn't care anymore," I inform her.

"He's probably over there thinking the same thing about you," she mutters. "I know you say you did nothing wrong but I think you really hurt his feelings. You made it clear that you don't tell him everything and then you ditched him for Eli." I push my food away and sniffle a bit. She's not wrong.

"He hurt me, too," I remind her as I sink further down into my seat. He was being hypocritical and basically called me a slut after being the one to encourage me to go out and experience life.

"Talking to him is the first step in getting over that." She looks at her phone and sighs. "I'm going to be late for class again."

"You can go; I'll clean this up," I encourage. She smiles at me before it transforms into a pointed look. She discreetly points in Dominic's direction as she stands.

"I mean it Nova, talk to him." I roll my eyes and clean up the remnants of our early dinner. I suddenly wish she didn't have class at 5 so I'd have someone to hang out with. I already hung out with Eli twice this week; I don't want to monopolize his time. As I'm throwing away the trash, I see the guys leaving. I decide to swallow my pride and follow them out, putting a couple meters of distance between us.

I think about what I'm going to say as I walk behind them. West parts ways with the other two and heads in the direction of the library, leaving only Dominic and Jack. I continue to trail them as they walk to their dorm. We slowly approach my building and I look around for a rock. I find one and toss it around in my hands a bit. I aim and throw it, maybe a little too hard, in their general direction. It soars past Dominic's head and he turns around with an aggressive expression plastered on his face. Maybe that wasn't a good idea. His annoyance drops quickly when his eyes land on me. I cross my arms and come to a complete stop. He looks at Jack, who nods and continues walking. Slowly, he approaches me.

"So how long did you plan on not talking to me?" I mutter when he stops a few feet away.

"As long as it took for you to talk to me." I narrow my eyes at him and he sighs. "If you didn't say anything by Friday, I was going to talk to you."

I let out a quiet huff as I assess him. I hate myself for caving. Any anger I ever feel for him dissipates the longer I'm away from him; it just turns to me missing him. "Oh."

His face falls flat when he realizes I'm not going to say anything else. He sighs and tucks his hands into his pockets. "You know, we wouldn't even need to be having this conversation if you had just stayed in the car," he explains with a slight attitude.

"We wouldn't have even started this argument if you hadn't been a hypocrite and called me a slut," I mumble as I stare at the ground.

"I didn't mean it, Nova. You know I didn't mean that. I just meant that you liking him didn't make a difference in what you did with him. So you saying you didn't like him wasn't a good enough argument for me to believe that you wouldn't let him hurt you again," he informs me. "And if you would've just stayed in the car on Friday, we could've talked this out. But instead, you chose Eli."

I narrow my eyes at his phrasing. "'I chose Eli.' What's that supposed to mean?"

He stares above my head for a moment in a way of gathering his thoughts. He exhales quietly before rocking back and forth on his heels. "In that moment, you chose Eli over me," he expresses.

"What are you talking about, Dominic?" I stare at him with an inquisitive look in my eyes.

"When things got bad with me, you ran to Eli," he clarifies. "That really hurt; I'm not going to lie."

I stare at him for a few seconds as I grasp the point he's trying to make. "You think I chose Eli over you?" I stare in shock. I didn't think he actually felt that way.

"That's what it seemed like." His response gets a quiet laugh of disbelief from me.

"You're an idiot," I concur, which earns a look of surprise from him. "I'm mad at you so I don't even want to say this but no one could ever replace you Dominic."

"I know," he replies as he fights off a smirk. "But that doesn't change the fact that you ran to Eli...mid-argument might I add."

"I ran because I was mad and I didn't want to say anything to hurt you. As for who I ran to, would you have gotten that mad if I had ran to Kat?" I interrogate. He hesitates before shutting his mouth and that's enough answer to prove my point. "Then why are you so upset about Eli?"

He sighs noisily and glares at me. "Because it's Eli." He doesn't explain himself and just kicks at a stray pebble instead.

"So your problem isn't with me running away; it's with the fact that I ran to Eli." He shrugs in response to that.

"Yeah, I guess," he concludes.

"Why?" I place my hands on my hips as I stare at him. He narrows his eyes at me and shoves his hands in his pockets. I don't back down so we stare at each other for a minute and he looks away.

"I'm not answering that. That's a stupid question." Fair enough. I'm not going to start another argument after we just got out of one. 

"Okay."

"Did you sleep with him?" Dominic blurts, which catches me off guard.

"Huh?"

"Eli...you know, the other night," he clarifies.

"No." I hope it makes him feel better knowing this.

"Are you just saying that because we're not allowed to talk about relationships anymore?" He eyes me nervously and I scoff and shake my head.

"Dominic, I didn't sleep with him," I assure him.

He slowly nods and keeps his eyes trained on the ground in an attempt to appear casual. "Did you kiss him?"

"Dominic," I call.

"Am I not allowed to ask that?" He feigns innocence this time as if he wasn't just throwing up the relationship clause in my face just the other night.

"Are we good?" I change the subject and he nods slowly.

"Yeah, I guess," he shrugs. "I mean, you didn't really apologize but it's fine."

"What didn't I say?" Admittedly, the words 'I'm sorry' never left my mouth.

"You skipped the whole 'Dominic, you're attractive, smart, and funny and I love you. Please forgive me,' but it's fine." A large grin falls onto my face and he matches it. "I'll take what I can get."

"Would a hug fix it?" I propose and he opens his arms. I fall into them like quicksand and practically absorb his warmth. I hold his waist tightly like a child as he pets my hair.

"So...was that a yes for the kissing Eli question?" he mumbles as his chin rests on my head.

"Shut up, Dominic," I retort with a small laugh.

+++

I fall back into the pattern of hanging out with my best friend for the rest of the week. When Eli texts me about a movie marathon on Friday, I decide to ask Dominic if he'd like to hang out to give him a fair chance. I dial his number and wait patiently. When he answers, I perk up a bit. "Hey."

"Hey," he responds without skipping a beat. The sound of his voice is enough to calm me down and it makes me feel a little pathetic.

"Whatcha doing?" I ask as I lay back on my bed.

"Getting ready..." I furrow my eyebrows. Okay, so he has plans tonight.

"For?" I prompt.

"Actually...I kinda have a date." My stomach and jaw drop to my ankles as I absorb his words. What happened in the last five days that he's out here going on dates?

"Oh." I don't even try to hide my surprise. I try to think of some words of encouragement but nothing comes to mind.

"It's not really my date. It's a double date. West asked this girl out and she said she couldn't go because her friend was staying with her this weekend, so he said he'd bring a friend," he explains. "So I didn't ask her or anything. I'm just tagging along."

"Oh." It makes me feel a bit better to know that he didn't plan this but I still feel a little shocked. Why couldn't Jack go? "Well...have fun."

"I probably won't," he assures me. "But if you want to do something after..."

"No, no, no it's fine. I want you to have fun," I insist, swallowing the lump in my throat. "Besides, I don't want to cut your date short if you decide to want to stay out later or you know...do anything."

"I don't be doing anything; I can promise you that. Can I just drop by when I get back?" I hope he isn't doing this to save my feelings.

"Yeah but I might not be in my dorm so you'll have to text me," I explain.

"What are you doing tonight?" He sounds nervous, like I was a moment ago.

"Movie night with Eli," I answer dryly.

We're both silent for a second before he breaks it. "Have fun." My chest clenches at how this conversation went.

"Well, I'll let you get ready. Text me how it goes." I hang up and sit on my bed with a frown on my face. I respond to Eli's text and solidify the plans as a sour feeling grows in my stomach.

I try my best to enjoy the night with Eli, indulging in the pizza and ice cream we ordered. It's difficult to focus though when the only thing I can think about is Dominic out on a date with a girl that will undoubtedly think he's attractive. When 11 o'clock rolls around and I get a text from my best friend asking if I want to hang out, I force myself into a yawning fit. Eli notices and slowly shakes his head.

"You literally suck," he groans. "It's barely 11 and you're already tired."

"I studied all morning," I explain myself, which isn't a lie.

"I'll get my keys." He heaves himself from the blanket fort we've created. I also get myself untangled from the quilts and slip on my shoes. In a matter of minutes, we're in the car and on the road to my dorm.

I let him put all his focus into driving and instead, text Dominic to meet me at my building in ten minutes. We pull up to my building and Eli tells me to sleep well before driving off. Only a few minutes later does Dominic appear, dressed in jeans and a flannel shirt. I admire his appearance from afar as he approaches. He looks so good. Noting my gaze, he strikes a series of poses with every couple steps he takes and I let the smile on my face broaden.

"You were staring so hard," he teases me with a large grin. I roll my eyes and fight back a laugh. "Do I look good?"

"Yeah." I open the door to my building, motioning for him to enter. I put on a teasing smile as I tilt my head. "I don't know why you tried so hard for a girl you claim not to like."

"Nova, I didn't even know her before tonight." He dismisses my statement with a roll of his eyes.

"So how was it?" I question casually before butting in. "Only if you feel comfortable telling me."

"It was fine, I guess," he replies after shooting me a quick glare for my comment. I can tell he thinks the relationship clause is bullshit but he doesn't complain. I know he wants to say something about it but he's probably a little unsure as to why I initiated it. He doesn't know if it's because I get hurt when I hear about his dating life or if I want to keep mine private. Because of that, he keeps his mouth shut.

"Was she cute?" I nudge him playfully. The corner of his mouth turns down as he offers me a slow shrug.

"She's okay. She isn't exactly my kind of girl," he comments, which earns a confused look from me. "Our lifestyles are different from what I heard tonight. She did tell me she wants to see me again, though."

"What'd you say?" I inquire as we get on the elevator. I try to keep a calm expression on my face as I await his response.

"I told her to just message me but I'm not going to respond though. Is that bad?" He gives me a slightly uncomfortable expression and I offer him a shrug.

I feel happiness creep into my system as we reach my floor. "No..." I try my best to remain casual. "If you weren't interested, you weren't interested. So..."

"So?" he leads and I tilt my head at him.

"Did you kiss her?" He laughs and shifts his head from left to right.

"No. I did not kiss her." That's what I like to hear. I decide to continue teasing him though.

"Did you make her Lucky Number 15?" I smile and he rolls his eyes at me.

"So how was your night with Eli?" he switches the topic. 

"It was fun." I spent most of it worrying about him being out on a date but the short glimpses I saw of the movie were interesting.

"Did you guys actually watch movies or...?"

I glance at him as I unlock my door. "We did."

"Just asking," he insists as I roll my eyes. He yanks off his shoes and jumps onto my bed. I excuse myself to the bathroom, where I change and freshen up for the night. I return to my room and join him on my bed.

"Today was so long." I close my eyes as I relax my body.

"I don't like dates... Correction: most dates." His smooth voice makes me sleepier but I manage to fight it.

"Which ones do you like?" I prepare to take notes on what his ideal date is. Maybe I can try to remake it for him.

"The ones with you." His response is casual, as if saying that aloud is no big deal. I feel my stomach jolt and I want to groan into my pillow.

I decide to redirect the conversation. "Are you sleeping here?" I flip onto my stomach and struggle to keep my eyes open as I wrestle with sleep.

"I can if you want me to," he answers quietly with his eyes locked on me. 

"Yes please." I missed sleeping with him (in the innocent way). Also in the not innocent way, but I won't tell him that. I allow my eyes to close as I snake my arm across his chest.

"Okay, I'll have to go change." He moves to get up and I allow myself to groan.

"No..." I practically latch myself onto him in hopes he'll just remain where he is.

"I can't fall asleep in jeans, Nova." He laughs at me and I say the first thing that comes to mind.

"Then just take them off," I grumble before opening my eyes. "Not like that. I just mean that I've seen it all already so you might as well get comfortable."

He grins at me in a smug fashion before he slips out of bed. I watch as he unbuttons his shirt and tugs it off, revealing a grey t-shirt; it hugs his body nicely. I wish I was hugging his body. He moves on to his jeans and I tell myself to stop being a creep but I can't help it. He locks eyes with me as his fingers reach to unbutton them and he opens his mouth in a slight gape. "You're literally a creep." He laughs at my focused gaze but continues to unzip them. We maintain eye contact as they drop to the floor. I feel my stomach tighten with desire as I stare at him but I know better than to act on it.

"Shows over peeping tom," he jokes as he turns off the lights. I cringe in the darkness, listening as he struggles to find his way to my bed. "Did you move things around in here?"

"No." He crawls into bed and stretches out beside me. I hesitantly touch his chest as he lays on his back. I suddenly wish I hadn't made the stupid rule of no more intimacy. I want nothing more than to do just that. I silently swear at myself as I simply drape my arm over his torso and snuggle up beside him.

"Goodnight," I mumble quietly.

"I love you, Nova," he whispers and I burrow myself deeper against his chest.

+++

The following morning, Dominic has to drive back home to spend the weekend with his parents. It's his mom's birthday and he promised he'd go out to dinner with them. He asks me if I'd like to go see my family but I quickly deny that invite and tell him I'll be fine back here. I see him off bright and early before returning to my room with strong intentions of studying. My plans of catching up on schoolwork are quickly disrupted when Kat bombards my phone with text messages.

Kat: Party tonight; want to go?

Kat: Please! We haven't gone out together in so long!

Kat: I know you don't like them but please!

I contemplate it. What else would I do tonight? I agree and pray that this time she doesn't leave me for a guy. I don't have Dominic to come pick me up if that happens. I get some homework done and by the time 8 o'clock comes around, I'm satisfied with my progress. I allot an hour to get ready and call Dominic as I contemplate an outfit.

"Miss me already?" he asks confidently as I put him on speaker.

"Nope." It gets a smile out of me, though.

"Well I miss you," he assures me.

"I know you do. How was dinner with your parents?" I grin at my phone before turning my attention back to the closet.

"Great, actually," he discusses, "we just got back. I ate so much cheesecake. We should go to that place. The food there was so good."

"I wouldn't be opposed to that," I confirm.

"It's a date then." The word date alone sends my heart into overdrive as I grip my closet door. "What are you doing tonight?"

"I'm going to a party." Maybe not if I can't decide on what to wear.

"Really?" He sounds a little surprised.

"Yes," I confirm. "Kat asked me and I said yes."

"Are you going to go get drunk and make out with boys?" he asks in a higher pitched voice.

"No." I decide to not even risk joking around about it.

"Are you sure?" he teases.

"Positive."

"Are you ready?" he asks.

"No, I'm having a hard time deciding what to wear," I respond. He's silent and I check my phone to see an incoming FaceTime request. I answer and put the camera on my closet. "I was thinking of this top." I hold up my pink shirt with straps cutting across the deep v-neck. "But this one is cute, too." I hold up my yellow off the shoulder top.

"I like the pink one." His gaze bounces between both shirts before he gives a confident nod in his decision. "It's more party wear."

"Which pants?" I pull out the two pairs I was considering. He assesses the light blue ones and then the ripped ones and he furrows his brows in thought.

"Ripped." Then I guess it's settled.

"Thanks," I coo as I return the rejected pieces of clothes back to their delegated areas in my closet.

"Try it on." I put the phone down on my desk as I grab each article of clothing. "You're not going to let me watch?"

"Don't be a creep." I laugh as I carefully pull on my jeans. I pull the shirt over my head and grab the phone to show him in the mirror.

He lets out a low whistle as he assess my outfit. "Gorgeous," he compliments and I repress my grin. "Are you sure you're not going to be making out with boys?"

"Why are you worrying so much?" I smirk at the camera. 

"Wouldn't want you to get mono," he explains with a knowing grin.

"Sure that's why," I tease as I get a text from Kat telling me she's on the way. I sigh as I stare at the screen. "I'll call you later. She's on her way."

"Have fun. Don't kiss too many boys," he sings. I roll my eyes as I hang up.

When she arrives at my dorm, I trek downstairs and get in the car. I feign excitement and she doesn't see through it. We drive to the party and she tells me about boys that will be there. "Who's throwing it?" I ask after listening to her go on and on about the guy who invited her.

"Baseball team," she responds thoughtlessly and I nearly groan aloud. That means West and Jack are going to be there. I definitely didn't plan on doing anything wild but if I slip up, my unassigned chaperones will see. This is definitely going to be a fun night. Note my sarcasm.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

Best of Friends Per sellaturcica

Literatura romàntica

185K 4.9K 45
""Kitten, you're worried about something, and you cannae lie. You're picking at your hands and looking around to clean up my room. Unlucky for you, m...
1.3K 20 21
COMPLETED!!! here's a snip bit ! "Hey Belle" he said with a cheeky smile. I look up and give him the fakest smile i can put on "did my constant haras...
Bittersweet Per alama

Novel·la juvenil

463 101 21
|| COMPLETED || I want to be ready for college, but I'll be leaving everything behind. I don't want to forget my mom, my friends, or the memories mad...
76 4 15
She's a Kathak dancer. He's a football player. She's in the top position for her Kathak classes. He's the captain of the football team. They're both...