Something about 1%

By urjitasheth

"There is no possibility for me to fall in love with a ruthless business man like you Mr. Jacob Miller there... More

Author's note
1. The one where everyone is clueless
2. The deal is sealed
3. Strictly business relationship
5. Just the way you are
6. A treasured memory
7. Stay by my side
8. The night of confessions
9. Life of my dreams
10. Two steps back
11. My perfectly not so perfect fit
12. Broken trust and broken heart
13. The world of money and selfishness
14. Follow me until the end?
15. Love worth fighting for
16. 'Bad guys need angels the most'
17. Its time to say goodbye!

4. Past catching up

202 6 0
By urjitasheth

Mia's pov:

Its mid week already which means its been days since our last date but I still can't forget him.... his kindness for that kid and him changing a little from a rude asshole to an irritating person who keeps making fun of me but his irritating version is a lot better than the rude one.

My kids bring me out of my world and tell me they are done watching the video of the solar system. The school authorities have been so thankful to me for bringing some great changes to this school, because of me the school quality has upgraded a lot but its Mr. Miller who should get the credits and not me.

"Alright kids since the school is about to get over, I'll give you guys some break and will let you watch cartoon for sometime okay?" They scream in happiness and I switch some of their favorite cartoons for them. This is why I love kids, they are so innocent. They find happiness in such little things and teaches me alot without even knowing it.

The school comes to an end and all of them now leave school on time because they have a bus. Smallest of things reminds me of, I hit myself on the forehead for thinking this much about him. Stop Mia!
Its an elementary school so my work isn't too difficult but handling them can be quite difficult sometimes.
"Miss Mia are you coming for our practice?" One of my students comes to my class and asks me.
"Sure, I'll be with you guys in sometime." Some of the students have taken part in inter school dance competition, I am not a great dancer but I stay behind to cheer them.

I enter the dance and music room and realize how small it has become because of the things Mr. Miller has provided. There's a drum set, guitar, piaono, music system and one side of the wall room covered with mirror. I sure am very thankful to him for this favor. The students start the practice on the song 'closer' and I dance along with them for moral support.

I leave school an hour later and immediately go to my best friend's store to meet her. Its lunch time so there are less customers at this time. I smile at Annie who is helping a customer and silently tell her I am waiting at the back office, she winks and tells me she'll be there in sometime.

I open Instagram to pass my time, not a regular user but when I am bored I surf it. Until Annie comes I decide to check it out and I suddenly get an idea. I search Jacob Miller on the search option and his profile immediately appears. He is quite social because he has too many followers or he has to be because of his business maybe? There are many posts... some from his trip to Europe and some from the events he must have attended. There's a picture of him kissing a dog which automatically brings a smile on my face and I take a screenshot of it. I see few more pictures and the stalker in me suddenly wakes up. A girl has constantly commented on all his pictures except the latest ones. Her name is Ammac... weird user name.
"My handsome Jay <3"
"Hottie :*" and many more similar comments. I am about to check her profile when Annie calls out for me. I decide to check it later and go out.

Jacob's pov:
It's only middle of the week and still few more days to go for our next date. Its the first time in years that I feel something different about a girl. Along with my work, I am thinking of her. Her getting irritated when I mention the kiss, our walk in the rain.
"Sir... should we discuss this idea with the main company?" Mr. Ben gets me out of my thoughts or should I say her thoughts.
"I like the ideas we discussed today. Let's make a proper presentation and we'll pitch it to the board of directors in a week. The inauguration is a month away so let's do it as fast as we can." All of them agree and we end the meeting there.

I go back to my office to finish some work when my phone rings.... It's Leah,
"Leah.... all okay?"
"It's me.... Rebecca. I know you are too busy but you always take Leah's calls so I thought to call you from her phone."
I pause for a second... Jacob talk to her normally, "How are you doing aunt Rebecca? Everything fine? Do you need something?" It's after a long time that we are talking.
"Actually it's about Leah.... she wants to study in states now and I thought it would be best if she would stay in Seattle since you'd be there to look after her. I called to request you to do this for me, can you?"
"Sure, Don't worry.... she can obviously call me for anything. What about her accommodation and fees? Want me to do something?" I ask her.
"Everything is already done just look after her from time to time. She's only eighteen. I feel better since her older brother would be there for her." I don't say anything about that and there's an awkward silence on the phone.
"How is Danis?" I ask her to make it less awkward.
"He has an exhibition in Seattle this weekend. If you have time go and check it out."
"Sure.... I am sorry but I have to go. Don't worry about Leah... I'll make sure she's okay here."
"Thankyou son.... goodbye." Son?

Next minute one of my employees, Alice comes and hands me the minutes from our meeting and I get myself busy with work.

Mia's pov:
"The lunch will be here soon." Annie tells me but my concentration keeps going to my phone.... I want to open and see but I also don't want to care about it because its only a contract.... we aren't actually dating so why am I caring so much?

"What are you thinking so much?" Annie gets me out of my thoughts. I shake my head and whisper nothing.
"Is it about Jacob Miller?" She asks me.
"Who is Jacob Miller?" Someone interrupts our conversation, when I look at the person who asked us.... it's Annabelle's brother and my ex boyfriend Aiden.
"Why do you care and what are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in hospital right now? Don't you have a day shift?" Annie asks her in irritation and looks at me with a sorry expression.

He still looks the same... handsome Aiden whom I fell in love with in high school. After our breakup Annie has stopped talking about her brother to me, she makes sure we don't bump into each other at all because she didn't want to hurt me.
But I always knew that I was the only one in this relationship... he was never there. He will always be my first love but also my reason to close myself down from people.
I decide to stay normal with him and stand up to shake hands with him, "Aiden, long time since we met. How are you doing?"
He clears his throat and looks at me weirdly but does the same, "Mia, I am good just really busy in the hospital." He tells me awkwardly. Aiden is a doctor in a hospital and one of the reasons for me to like him so much was because he is just not handsome but was great in studies as well and he always had his priorities set.
"Anyways, Annie I'll leave, it's getting late... Kevin must be waiting for me."
"But lunch?"
"Some other time okay?" I tell her and she still looks at me with a sorry expression.
I hug her and say bye to Aiden and hurriedly leave from there. Its been years to the breakup but it took me time to get out of it. He was my first love.... my first kiss and my first heartbreak.

I and Kevin go to the Ngo together to meet the kids and they get really happy to see him.
"Mia, thankyou for doing so much for Kevin because of you he will now make his dreams come true. He doesn't have parents but sure has a great elder sister like you." The owner of the Ngo, Mrs Parker tells me with tears in her eyes.
"Mrs. Parker.... don't thank me... the work is done by some other angel. I just helped him as much as I could." She hugs me and cries a little.
"Why don't you bring that angel here? So we could thank him personally."
"I will try ma'am." Mrs Parker has been taking care of all these kids from last 15 years and she's close to everyone especially Kevin.

I spend some time with the kids and head back home in evening. I reach home, get changed and sit down to read some of concepts to teach my kids tomorrow when my phone rings. It's Annie,
"I am sorry for today. I didn't know he was coming."
"Why are you apologizing Annie? Besides its been 4 years since everything ended. I think we should forget about it and be normal again. He's your brother and was my close friend too."
"Is this the Jacob Miller effect?"
"Shutup!"
"Are you free this Saturday to catch a movie?"
"No... I have to meet him."
"I am so jealous of you right now. Fresh and new love in the air. I just wish this wasn't a contract and you guys were actually dating."
"Are you crazy? I can't stand that guy for more than six months." I lie and try to show her that I don't care but I have started to care a lot.
"Fine whatever you say."
"Let me read now." I tell her.
"Okay mimi, see you soon. Bye, love you." With that we end the call.

I close down the applications on my phone when I see my instagram open and remember what was I doing this afternoon. Should I check her profile? To know a little and to be prepared before hand is better right?
If I know he has someone I wouldn't care so much right? But I stop myself from doing it because our relationship hasn't reached to a point where we have talked about our past. I should let him tell me if this person is someone important to him and if he doesn't that means its not something I should concern myself with.

Jacob's pov:

Before I know another weekend arrives making me excited. I pick her up from her house and look at her attire. She's really simple with her clothes and make up which makes me happy. She's wearing a shirt and shorts. I am as always in one of my suits since I directly came from the office.
"So where are we going for our 3rd date?" She asks me with a smile.
"Its my turn to choose so I won't tell you... you'll see when we reach there."
"I hope not an another boring event and I'll do the same when my turn comes." She tells me cheekily and I laugh a little at her reaction.

We reach at the gallery and her face immediately changes to a bored one when we go inside. "Why is your company so boring? Having events like these?"
"Its not a company event. I know one of the artists here." She doesn't say anything further but when she hears the click of the camera she starts hiding her face and maintains distance from me.
"There are no photographers here."
"You Don't know that.... what if they post another article. I don't want to go through what I did during that musical event of yours." She tells me still mysteriously looking everywhere and hiding her face. I want to laugh at her cuteness. Should I tell her I made everyone block the news about her and paid money. Nah, its fun to see her this way.
"How are you a teacher? Growing up I didn't have a teacher who was younger than her students." I tell her jokingly.
"You weren't grown up properly. Your brain screws are definitely loose. I imagine what your teachers must have gone through."
"Do you kick your students like you kicked me?" I ask her with innocence.
"My kids don't behave like you do. They are really well behaved." She smirks at me.

She walks separately but I walk besides her and hold her from the arm, "we are dating after all." I tell her with a smile. She rolls her eyes at me.
I smile at our banter and continue looking at the paintings when Mia stops and stares at someone intently, when I look its.... a guy? Do they know each other? Why is she staring at him like that?

"Fancy seeing you here Mia." Mia looks at him awkwardly. She frees herself from my hold and get awkward. Both me and that guy wait for her to say something. This better be some brother of hers.

"Aiden.... you in a gallery? Has someone become artistic now." Mia tells him with a fake smile. They definitely know each other well and share a history looking at the way they are both behaving around each other. Even though he isn't saying much he's annoying me already.

I hold her protectively by her arms, "Babe, who is he?" She gets uncomfortable by my hold but I hold her even tighter showing this Aiden guy that she's mine.
"I am her bestfriend's older brother and a special friend of Mia." He tells me irritatingly looking at our position.
"Special? She has never mentioned you before so I don't think this is something special." I tell him with annoyance.
"You must not be dating her for long then."
"Long enough to know who is special and who isn't." Both of us have a staring battle and Mia pokes me lightly to stay quiet.
"She definitely didn't like you first."
"Its none of your business but since you're curious to know it was love at first sight." Mia widens her eyes and looks at me. I drag her ahead without letting her say goodbye to that asshole.

"Love? It wasn't love, it was pure hatred at first sight." She tells me irritatingly once we are at some distance from that guy. When I look back he's still staring at us. Why is he annoying me so much.
"Do you still like him?" I ask her annoyed by the whole encounter. I don't want to have unnecessary feelings and expectations.
"No I don't..... It was in the past." I take a sigh of relief but thinking about her with someone else bothers me.
"Never talk to him or bump into him like this ever again. Remember the new rule!" I tell her angrily, I am trying so hard to cover this jealousy but I just can't.
She looks at me with a blank face, "He's my bestfriend's brother, Ofcourse he would bump into me at times. How do I avoid that?"
"Ignore him." Simple.
"Seeing your dating history, I should ask you to avoid half of the girl population of Seattle."
"You're funny." I tell her sarcastically and she smiles a little which makes me happy and changes my foul mood from meeting that guy.
"You're exasperating." She groans.

Mia's pov:
What was this whole encounter? What was Aiden doing here and why was he looking at me like that as if we are still dating. I have to talk to Annie. I look at Mr. Miller who is still holding me and not letting me go. I did get uncomfortable there but no one has ever been this protective for me. I feel some weird butterflies in my stomach making me feel giddy.

What is with this date though, in a gallery? Why? Why are we so different? And why is he always in a suit, it makes me feel like we are on some business.... but we really are really on a business. Stupid me!

We finally reach at the last painting and Mr. Miller stops there. He's staring the the painting with a sadness on his face. It's a painting of a mother cradling a baby. Should I ask him? Or should I stay mum?

We are about to leave the gallery when we bump into someone he knows. It's such a bumpy day. Its a middle aged bald man surprised to see Mr. Miller here.
"Jay, what a pleasant surprise. So happy to see you here."
"Uncle Danis, how are you. Didn't aunt Rebecca come today?" He leaves me to shake hands with him.
"All okay Jay, your mother couldn't come today but she misses you a lot." Mr. Miller gets a little uncomfortable hearing that but he smiles at him.
"All the paintings were really good, great work." Oh, so he knew his uncle here. But if he's calling him uncle and aunt... why did he say his mother misses him?
"Anyways, we will take a leave." We smile at him and leave. He looks a little upset when we are walking to the car but recovers and holds me again.
"Stop holding me like that." I tell him.
"You are my girlfriend Ofcourse I would hold you like that." He smirks at him. I don't protest much since I am liking his little gestures.

"I am sorry we can't go for dinner, I have some work to finish."
"You do have manners after all and it's alright." I tell him jokingly.
"I am a very nice person okay."
"Sure." I laugh a little at that statement but also know that he is a nicer than I expected.

We reach back to my place and see some of the neighborhood women standing there with a police van parked there.
Mr. Miller opens his window, "Robber took a lot of valuables." One of the women tells the other one and I gasp a little.... robbery? In this neighborhood? Its the first time I am hearing that. Instead of stopping the car in front of my building, he parks it at a distance and gets out of the car with me.
"What are you doing?"
"I'll drop you till your apartment."
"You don't need to."
"I want to." He tells me with a serious tone.
"I'll be fine." He doesn't say anything and gestures through his hand to lead the way.

He follows behind me and since my flat is on the first floor we take the stairs. We walk into the corridor in silence and finally reach to my apartment.
I don't open the door immediately and turn back to look at him, "Thanks for dropping me till here."
"Open the door. Get in come on." I open the door and stop at the entrance to say goodbye but he enters inside the apartment uncalled.
"Studio apartment with a small balcony, looks nice." He comments.
"Don't you.... have work to do? Why are you..." I am stammering and when I stammer I am nervous. His presence here in the apartment and both of us being alone is making me nervous. Will he kiss me again? What if he does... should I just go along with it? Why am I thinking so much.

I go to the kitchen to get some water for him to when I turn back he's standing in front of me. He takes a step closer to me, I take a step behind. He takes another step closer to me but I can't go back anymore since there's no place behind. I look away from him but he holds my face lightly to make me look at him. He's getting close and closer until our noses our touching.
"What are you doing?" I ask him.
"Kissing you." He whispers and get closer.
He's about to kiss me when I turn my face and the kiss lands on the cheek instead. Next he kisses me on the forehead, "Won't do anything that you don't want me to do." He whispers and takes a step back.

"You should get a proper lock for your balcony. Its broken, anyone can get inside from there."
"Will keep that in mind." I recover from our moment and tell him.
"Lock the doors properly once I leave." He instructs me like a mother instructing her child. I smile and nod at him.
I go with him to say goodbye to him. Once he leaves I sit on the floor in shock. I did well.... I did well I know. I keep a hand on my fast beating heart. I touch my cheek where he kissed me and smile. Jacob Miller what are you doing to me.

Jacob's pov:
I have never had this slow progress with anyone but I am liking this slow pace and discovering little things about her. Austin and I meet at our usual place since he had some work he wanted to discuss.
"Jacob Miller sure is changing." Austin comes and sits opposite to me with some files in his hand.
"I missed dinner with her for you. What's this important work you wanted to discuss?"
"I am hurt, your grandpa accused me of being a double agent."
"Such a hypocrite, does he think I don't know about Mr.Ben going to him every weekend and telling him everything?" Austin shakes his head in exasperation.
"Anyways, the meeting you had with that korean company wanting to invest in one of our projects has also been approved by your grandfather. Let's party man!" He tells me excitedly but I don't really get that happy.
"Is he doing all this because I am dating a girl of his choice?" I ask him.
"No Jacob, I saw all the deals we lost in last six months and there were many which had problems and wouldn't have been good for the company. Your grandfather is really experienced and he found out before you did so it was for your good only." I hear to everything Austin says and it does really make sense. I know that he loves me in his own way and I do in my own way.
"And will you please stop taking your girlfriend to classical music concerts and art galleries. Make some progress in your relationship please."
"We did make some progess... we kissed and we'll eventually get there too." I scratch my scalp awkwardly and Austin gives me a death glare.
"I feel so bad for Mia... so so bad. Jacob, things like normal couple do. Watching a movie, going out for fancy dinners.. stuff like that you dumb ass. Do you even text or call her or buy her flowers? Or hold hands with her, just walk and talk about anything or everything?" I don't have an answer for it because I haven't thought of all these things.
"You're pathetic man." He tells me.

We finish dinner and I go home. I change and come to my study to finish work but think about what Austin told me. Should I text? Instead of texting I do something unexpected.... I call.

Mia's pov:
It's pretty late so I decide to head to bed when I hear my phone ring.
When I check... its 'the devil'. I get a little excited seeing his name but get myself together and casually pick it up.
"Do you miss me already?" I tell him teasingly. I can do the same Mr. Miller.
"I miss the thing we did on our first date." He's teasing me again, trying to remind me of that kiss.
"Why are you calling at this hour?" I change the topic and ask him.
"Since we are doing all kinds of things couples do, I thought why not this?" I smile hearing that.
"Another reason to get close to me?" I tease him some more.
"Close, the kind of close we got today?" He tries to tease me again but I don't let him affect me this time.
"Yeah.... like that close."
"Someone seems to like the closeness part."
"I love it Mr. Miller." I tell him sarcastically.
"What is with this Mr. Miller? I am 5 years older to you stop giving me so much respect and call me Jacob."
"Should I say Jacob Grandpa?" I tease him.
"Haha, what an amazing joke. I really think you're a 5 year old in a 25 year old's body."
"You should always be a kid at heart don't you think?"
"And end up making such lame jokes? Sure!" He tells me sarcastically.
"Atleast I am not a 80 year old in 30 year old's body. We had two dates of your choice, one in a classical music concert and one art gallery. So romantic Jacob."
"What did you say?"
"What?"
"Say my name again."
"Jacob...."
"Again."
I laugh a little, "Jacob" I can feel him smiling on the other end too.
We are having another friendly banter when I hear someone trying to open my door.
"Mia... why did you get quite? What's wrong?"
"I think someone's trying to get inside my house."
"Don't panic and get something hard to hit like a frying pan.... I will call the police right away. Just keep talking to me and don't panic." I run to the kitchen to get the frying pan when someone opens my door and comes inside.... it's Annie. Oh god I forgot she has my keys.
"Jacob.... don't call the police. It's Annabelle my bestfriend."
"Oh thank god.... you scared me." He's sigh of relief for me makes me smile and Annie smirks at me.
"I will talk to you later. Bye and goodnight." Before he could reply I end the call and stare at Annie, irritated with her surprise entry.

"Who comes like this at 12 in the night?"
"Who talks to guys at 12 in the night?" She mimicks me and smirks.
I smile and hug her and we sit on my bed, "Why are you here at this hour?"
"I can't take my parents anymore. I really need to move out. Just because they have a huge house doesn't mean they can stop me there anymore. They keep nagging for small small things. And you.... you are the reason for that actually. My brother was telling me about you and your boyfriend and my mother heard that and now she's nagging me to get married. I am only 26 for god sake."
"Your brother was talking about me and Jacob?"
"He met you guys right? He was trying to show his concern on how he doesn't like that rich devil of yours."
"Can you please ask him to mind his own business? He said such weird things to Jacob today, I wanted to get really mad at him. But Jacob handled it in his way."
"Have you told him about the history?"
"What's there to say? We dated in college, he was a player and he cheated on me and there has been nobody in my life since then. And my history has one person, his history is so long that I don't feel like bringing up this topic."
"Does him having a history affect you?" She asks me curiously and I get silent because I do not have an answer for it. She gets my unspoken answer and takes my phone casually.
"Who is this beauty with him? I feel like I have seen her somewhere. Is she that victoria secret model? Amy Macadams?"
My eyes widen in shock, "Victoria secret model?"
"Mia.... its ok I mean you're beautiful."
"I just don't get why his grandfather wanted us to date? Everything about us is so different?"
"Yet here you are falling head over heels for him... aren't you?" She asks me and her question shocks me but I too wonder if I really have?
"Annie..."
"You never once checked who my brother went out with before you.... you never got jealous of the girls he talked to.... it just hurt you that one of your best friends cheated on you not someone you love. But with Jacob you're so different and it's pretty clear why."
"I am scared.... we are dating on the basis of a contract."
"Which ends in five to six months Mi. This is your present, so live this day like its your last, you don't know what's going to happen tomorrow... it might work out for you two. Have as much fun as you can in these months you have."

Later at night Annie is sleeping peacefully besides me but I just can't because of the confession I made to myself. Should I really take Annie's advice and live in the present forgetting about everything else?

Next morning Annie and I go to her store. Since its Sunday I don't really have much to do. I am just checking out some clothes when I get Jacob's call. I tell him I am at Annie's store and he tells me he's in the same area. He asks me to come for lunch with him and Austin and I agree because I needed to say thankyou to Austin for what he did for Kevin.

"Annie, I am going to the restaurant across the street. Sorry we can't eat lunch together."
"Meeting Jacob?" I nod and she winks.
I go across the street and take the lift to go to the third floor since the restaurant is on the third floor. The lift gets really jam packed and I see Jacob and Austin entering the lift in the end. They can't see me yet.
"Tell me what is she like?" Is he asking about me?
"Mia, her style is very old fashioned and tacky man." Jacob immediately replies which really hurts me. The lift stops on the third floor and they leave first.

I stay behind and go back to the store not wanting to face them. When I tell Annie she gets really angry at him. "Well... Mi let's do the something to change that." I give her a questioning look but she drags me to the changing room and gives me a really short black dress with heels to wear. The dress is too revealing for my style.... but he said tacky and old fashioned? Let's see who's tacky now. Annie puts on some makeup on my face and jumps in excitement when she sees how I look.

I go across the street to now face him with confidence. When I reach at the restaurant to their table, Jacob first looks at me and looks down again smiling but then he looks at me with shock on his face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.7K 1.4K 42
Damon makes me feel more, he makes me feel loved, cherished, he makes me feel wanted. Even by the slightest action, I can tell, he is a caring and lo...
83.4K 1.9K 80
You & I are one big It's complicated Leon King a young CEO and also the hottest bachelor in NYC. Girls throw themselves at him some just to be in...
1.6M 34.6K 54
"Take it." He mumbled. I obeyed him. His lips were at one end while mine at the other. I felt the heat surround us. He slowly bit the stick leaning c...
90.9K 4.7K 44
𝙏𝙀𝘼𝘾𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙭 𝙎𝙏𝙐𝘿𝙀𝙉𝙏 𝙍𝙊𝙈𝘼𝙉𝘾𝙀 I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...