The Legendary Female Strategi...

By Celestial_Immortal

Eight years after the Great War, the world is now ruled by four kingdoms. On the surface, there is peace and... More

Chapter 1 - A Simple Peasant Girl
Chapter 2 - Facing fate with Steam Buns and Candied Apples
Chapter 3 - Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
Chapter 4 - With Silver Needles Comes Great Responsibility
Chapter 5 - The Faint Bitter Scent of Tea
Chapter 7 - Anything Can Happen During an Emperor's Banquet
Chapter 8 - The Person Called Hui Yi
Chapter 9 - The Meeting of Two Individuals
Chapter 10 - The Beginning of the Emperor's Game
Chapter 11 - A Morning in the City
Chapter 12 - Captured Once Again
Chapter 13 - Oranges and Food Brings Forth Friendships
Chapter 14 - A Familiar Face
Chapter 15 - The First Night with the Emperor
Chapter 16 - A Bright Sunny Day Often Brings Bad Memories
Chapter 17 - A Tale of Two Birds
Chapter 18 - Ru Qiang's Deal with the Devil
Chapter 19 - Fruit Dessert is Best Served Last
Chapter 20 - A Hint of the Calm Before the Storm
* Information List (Chapters 1 - 20) *
Chapter 21 - Behind a Mask Hides Another
Chapter 22 - A Dagger Hidden Within the Darkness and One's Heart
Chapter 23 - The Truth Behind Her Mask
Chapter 24 - The Illusion of Escape
Chapter 25 - The Lie of a Liar
Chapter 26 - Planning for Destruction
Chapter 27 - A Way to Trick Them All
Chapter 28 - Dutifully Carrying Out a Paid Service
Chapter 29 - Onward They Continue
Chapter 30 - Even the Quietest Man Can Be Quite Stubborn
Chapter 31 - Being A Potato Has Its Benefits
Chapter 32 - New Territory Always Brings New Troubles
Chapter 33 - Even the Scent of Flowers Can't Mask the Coldness of Winter
Chapter 34 - A Puzzle Without Its Pieces Are Unsolvable
Chapter 35 - The Color Of Black Hides Many Secrets
Chapter 36 - From A Fellow Stubborn Individual To Another
Chapter 37 - For Foodies Like Us
Chapter 38 - A Complete and Utter Mess
Chapter 39 - A Faint Flicker of the Past
Chapter 40 - The Self-Proclaimed Assassin
Chapter 41 - The Veiled Young Master
~Announcement~
Chapter 42 - A Fateful Encounter in a Small City
Chapter 43 - A Lonesome Heart
Chapter 44 - Poison of the Past
Chapter 45 - The Wandering Village
Chapter 46 - Secrets Buried Deeply in the Night
Chapter 47 - A Race Against Time
Chapter 48 - The Truth Intertwined with Despair

Chapter 6 - When the Dragon Calls, There is No Choice But to Answer

37.8K 2.1K 292
By Celestial_Immortal

By the time that Feng Yao had finally managed to walk out of the red-light, she realized one important piece of information.

I seem...to be lost.

She sighed, letting her eyes wander around aimlessly around the empty streets. The sun was just beginning to rise and coated the surroundings in a soft orange light. It looked like she was still in the Wei Kingdom although she had no idea how to get back home.

This must be what I get for napping while I was getting kidnapped...

Feng Yao slapped herself on the cheeks while mentally condemning herself to a life of stupidity.

Oh well. Guess I'll just keep walking. If push comes to solve, I can always try kidnapping someone for money...

Nah, let's scratch that idea. I have morals! I have self-respect! Unless I really don't have money. Then, maybe I'll try out that kidnapping idea...

Picking a completely random path, Feng Yao began to walk. As time passed, the streets slowly became more crowded as merchants woke up and began setting up. Servants were also already beginning to run around completing errands for their masters.

Feng Yao's thoughts turned back towards that man she'd met earlier at the Red-Lantern courtesan house. A cryptic smile appeared on her lips. She had no doubt that someone smart like him would understand what she'd been hinting at.

The Thousand-Year tea he'd been holding had been the same one she had attempted, but unfortunately failed, to taste that fateful day a few weeks ago. The whole reason why she had decided to enter that tea house instead of the others was because of such a beautifully sweet smell coming from inside.

Yes, that same sweet smell that was coming off of the Thousand-Year tea.

She let out a chuckle as she turned a street corner.

Sweetness also hides a dangerous poison.

The moment she smelled it weeks ago, she had already suspected that there was an addictive poison brewed in. Too bad she couldn't taste it then to confirm it. When she was finally able to smell it a second time at the Red-Lantern, she finally had her suspicion confirmed.

But thinking any further about that conspiracy wasn't something she was interested in.

I'll leave that to those secret investigators.

Suddenly, she felt her body collide with something. Looking up, she came face to face with a local guard. Although...there was something about him that looked familiar.

"My apologies to the Young Miss. I was preoccupied and failed to see you in time." He bowed slightly.

Feng Yao's eyes slightly narrowed as she began to remember where she'd seen him before. He was one of hidden guards at the tea-shop that one day. An imperial guard from the palace.

She quickly bowed and shook her head. Even though she wasn't dressed like a beggar at the moment, there was a small chance he could recognize her face.

"No apologies needed. If you'll excuse me, I'm in a bit of a hurry."

She smiled and tried to move, but he quickly stepped in front of her. When she stepped to the other side, he moved to block her again.

"Is there something else the matter, sir?" She furrowed her brows the same way that young respectable ladies did.

"I apologize again Young Miss. But could you happen to know a person called Feng Yao?" His gaze watched her intently, but her body language gave nothing away.

With a slight huff in her voice, she put her hands on her hips and said, "Now Sir, don't you think that's a bit rude? Don't you know I belong to a well-respected family? Blocking a young woman's path when she's extremely busy is incredibly distasteful on your part."

She pretended she was infuriated and tilted her head upwards indignantly. Again, he simply bowed calmly before moving to the side.

Feng Yao walked past him but as soon as she did, she realized something was off. The moment her body went numb and she began to fall backwards, she knew that the guard had already poisoned her.

There was no point in asking who Feng Yao was. He already knew my name the moment he intentionally bumped into me. There must have already been poison powder placed over his clothing.

She sighed as her vision began to blacken. Before she could hit the ground, she felt the guard catch her just like she knew he would.

Screw you and your fancy poisons! She wanted to yell, but she soon sunk into unconsciousness.

When Feng Yao woke up, there was a small headache pounding behind her forehead. With her eyes closed, she slightly moved her hand but instantly froze at what she was feeling.

Am I dead? Or is this real life?

She excitedly moved her hand again before confirming that what she was touching was a fur blanket of the softest quality she'd ever felt before. Feng Yao was so intrigued that she forced herself to peel open her heavy eyelids.

Instantly, she regretted her decision as a wave of sunlight coming through a window hit her in the face.

"Ow! Ow, ow, owww! Bad decision, bad decision..."

As she covered her eyes with her hands, she heard a familiar voice from beside her.

"Feng Yao! Are you awake now?"

That voice? The doctor?

Without removing her hands away from her eyes against the laughing sunlight, she called out into the air.

"Old man?"

His chuckle sounded out as she heard his heavy footsteps walk towards her. Soon afterwards, she felt his brief touch at her shoulder.

"Yes, little girly. It's me."

Feng Yao slowly moved her hands away and allowed her eyes to become used to light again. When she was finally able to see what her surroundings were, she was slightly stunned.

The room was a deep beautiful burgundy with golden accents scattered around on the walls. There was an exquisite table sitting in the center of the room with a tray of snacks and vibrant flowers. Rare decorations were also placed in well-chosen spots around the room. And if she looked out of the window, there was a large green courtyard with cherry and peach trees.

Everything looked to be incredibly expensive. Even the air she was breathing seemed to almost feel different than usual.

"How are you feeling? I told the guards not to treat you so roughly, but I should have known that the imperial guards wouldn't listen to me."

"So they made me inhale sleeping poison so that they could bring me here?" A wary look crept into her eyes.

The old man sighed deeply. "I had to beg the Emperor to let me find you and bring you here to the palace. You're like a little daughter to me. I can't let you run around out there in danger without me. "

She froze at his words.

I'm in the palace?

At that moment, she remembered something important.

The fur blanket!

Her gaze snapped downwards and her eyes instantly turned bright with glee. In one quick motion, she had already snatched the large, white fur blanket that was laying across her body and held it up to her face.

"Oooooo~ This is soooo soft! I've never felt anything so delightful to hold!"

The old man watched with speechless eyes at the suddenly hyper Feng Yao who was repeatedly rubbing her face into the fur.

At that moment, a knock came at the door making Feng Yao thankfully stop her strange behavior. An eunuch entered hesitantly after seeing stray strands of white fur sticking to Feng Yao's mouth and hair. He quickly decided to ignore her and bowed to the old man.

"Imperial Doctor. The Emperor wishes to see you. He says he would like to reward you for your efforts."

The old man's face brightened at his words. Hurriedly, he offered a low bow in response.

"Oh no, I wouldn't dare to! This humble servant only wishes to be of help to the Emperor."

The eunuch's face showed satisfaction at the old man's response.

After a slight pause, the old man hesitantly asked, "May my daughter also come with me? It is because of her that I was not beaten to death by those kidnappers."

Feng Yao looked around the room in confusion.

His daughter? Since when did he get a daughter?

After seeing both of their eyes land on her, she suddenly understood.

Oh. The old man means me.

"Wait. I'm not his--" But her words were cut off by the eunuch's nod.

"The Emperor says that you may bring anyone you wish."

In the end, Feng Yao was dragged along by the the excited old man. Her face was gloomy as she trudged along the flowery paths. She had been forced to wash up and get dressed in presentable clothing, but all she wanted to do was wrap herself in that white fur blanket and become a potato for the day.

Ahh~ So warm~ So fluffy~

Before long, the eunuch in front of the both of them stopped at a grand building. Servants respectfully stood in wait outside of the golden double doors.

"This is the imperial hall. His majesty is inside waiting."

The eunuch went inside and they followed him. As soon as they went in, the eunuch announced their arrivals and both Feng Yao and the old man gave a full ceremonial bow towards the man sitting on the throne.

When Feng Yao's flickered upwards, she paused. The Emperor looked to be quite young, perhaps only a few years older than her. He was dressed in a beautiful and luxurious golden robe. In his strong hand held a delicate cup of tea. Currently, he was sitting in a relaxed pose against his throne above them.

"No need to do such elaborate things. Please rise." His voice was deep and smooth like velvet. Feng Yao could tell that there was a smile on his face from his tone.

"Many thanks to the Emperor!"

As they both stood up, Feng Yao finally got a glimpse of his face. He had smooth skin with a straight nose. His lips were turned upwards into a beautiful and enchanting smile. Strong brows framing a pair of piercing eyes glanced over both of them before he turned his full attention towards the old man. Instantly his eyes became warm.

"You've been here for a few days, yet I've been too busy to offer you personal thanks for what you did all those years ago. Please accept my invitation and join me in drinking some tea. Your guest is also welcome."

After a flurry of movement from the waiting servants, Feng Yao and the old man were seated at individual tables beneath his throne. A cup of tea along with a tea pot was set in front of both Feng Yao and the man. A unique smell suddenly wafted up from her cup and into Feng Yao's nose.

She bent down to allow her nose a better sniff. Without anyone noticing, her eyes slowly lowered until no one could read her thoughts.

In the meantime, the Emperor and the old man continued to chat.

"I'm so pleased we managed to find you, Imperial Doctor. After you had to flee under my father's rule, I was worried I wouldn't ever be able to find you again." The Emperor let out a rich chuckle as his eyes twinkled beautifully.

The old man also laughed as he took another sip of the tea. "As long as I am still alive, I'll forever be Your Majesty's loyal subject."

Feng Yao silently watched as she raised the tea cup towards her lips.

So the old man is actually the Imperial Doctor? The one who was rumored to have fled under the previous Emperor's rule in fear of his anger? No one actually did know why the previous Emperor was so angry with the doctor though...

The Emperor sitting in front of them smiled making everyone pause. He was just that handsome.

"You flatter me, Imperial Doctor." In a pleasant tone, he ordered, "Someone, come! Bring the Imperial Doctor to the palace garden and allow him to choose whatever herbs he wishes to take!"

The old man's eyes widened before he quickly got down and bowed.

"Thank you to the Emperor for your generous gift!"

As the old man was led out, only Feng Yao was left with the Emperor. The Emperor leaned back in his chair and casually sipped another drink of his own tea with elegant movements. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed her also take another sip.

An unreadable smile came to his lips.

"Is it good?"

Feng Yao paused at his words before giving a polite smile and a nod.

"Replying to your majesty, it is quite delicious."

The Emperor lazily swirled the tea around in his cup as he looked at her in disinterest.

"Be careful of getting a stomach ache. Drinking too much can cause you more harm than good."

Feng Yao finally looked up as her smile suddenly brightened. "I thank your majesty for the concern over this humble peasant."

His eyes suddenly narrowed to look at her in suspicion, but she simply sat there and continued to drink her tea in a calm manner. There was nothing strange about her movements at all.

In a loud voice, he called out towards a servant. "It is getting late. Come and help this guest return back to her room."

Feng Yao left her tea cup on top of her table before getting up. "Thank you to Your Majesty for allowing me to be here. I shall return now."

After she left, the Emperor's gaze swept around the room. As his eyes fell upon her teacup, he suddenly paused. After a moment, his eyes brightened and without warning, he began to let out a loud laugh.

It was the first genuine one all day.

The servants remaining in the room looked at each other in confusion before lowering their eyes towards the floor. They knew better than to say anything.

Meanwhile, the Emperor had already gotten up from his seat. He walked over towards her cup that she had intentionally left for him in plain sight to see.

A slow spreading smile appeared on his lips as he thought to himself.

This girl didn't even touch a sip of that tea. As if she realized the secret.

With a chuckle, he stated, "How amusing."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 7.4K 87
𝑰𝒏𝒅𝒖𝒍𝒆𝒌𝒉𝒂, a young cheerful girl from Kaliyug, is reborn as the sister of the Pandavas after she dies. She was the apple of their eyes, thei...
26.5K 1.7K 19
Once upon a time there was a man named Karna. He was born to a Kshatriya women and was adopted by a suta when his birth mother abandoned him. People...
Reborn As The Wretch By Grazy

Historical Fiction

31.9K 1.1K 47
Camille is a student at Venezia Academy who loves to read books, particularly novels. She is, nevertheless, a target of the school bullies. She fell...
26.5K 1.4K 68
true love never exists right?? or If it does than only give pain. "It's amazing how someone can break your heart, and you can still love them with al...