Devotion (GOT Fanfic)

By mono-niji-kayu

Leila Lannister was the devoted child, the one who surrendered youth for a life she didn't wanted and joy for... More

Devotion
Act I: Love
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Act II: Endurance
C H A R A C T E R S A N D S O U N D T R A C K
Chapter I
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
ASOIAF Fanfic Awards
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
ACT III
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X

Chapter II

9.2K 276 94
By mono-niji-kayu

Act II of Devotion: Endurance

Chapter Two: The Courtier

"Leila Lannister spent at least three weeks in the capital as a member of the king's court. Leila's purpose there was to distract the king in order for legislations to be passed here and there as was the wish of her lord father. She not only successfully managed to make the king forget about his hatred for lord Tywin but managed to charm the entirety of the court, making them bend to her will in a manner of a smile. But those three weeks were the hellish Leila Lannister had been in her entire life. Too much had changed then and there for her. And all because she had to go to be at the court of deceit, pain and jealousy that was of Aerys II Targaryen's capital."

-Maester Maekar, The White Queen, Chapter IV

LEILA LANNISTER WAS RELIEVED THAT HER FATHER HAD NEVER FOUND OUT OF HER OUTING ALONE IN THE CITY. The gods knew she already had enough nagging from her uncle Gerion and her own sworn sword Mors Manwoody. The morning before, Leila had decided that she was going to go out into the capital of the Seven Kingdoms alone and had decided to go and fish at the nearest area of the Blackwater Bay without people to ensure the safety of her person. Leila had not been worried about that at all when she went to bribe her guardsmen. But when she sat down in the chair in the middle of her uncle's chambers with Mors angrily glaring at her with his hands upon his chest, she knew she was in trouble. Deep never ending trouble.

"To bribe your guards like that!" Gerion Lannister huffed out loud as he glared at his young niece. "Then leave without informing anyone of your decision to have an adventure. No notes! You could have at least taken a guard with you to look after you in a distance. But no, you decide to go out without informing anyone after bribing your guardsmen and went off alone streets full of dirty bastards who would do anything to get what they want from a young girl like you. Leila, you are no fool! You know how dangerous King's Landing could be. To think that you are the most brilliant woman in all of Westeros and here you are, disobedient and ignorant of this place's danger especially to women like you."

"I know.." She mumbled under her breath.

"You know but you did not even remember it while you bloody fish in the middle of a fucking city filled with thieves and cutthroats." Gerion Lannister had never been truly angry. In fact, he has only ever been angry three times, counting now. Once when his brother told him that Joy Hill did not belong in Casterly Rock despite her lion blood, the second when Tywin wanted to throw away his own young son into the Sunset Sea for being a dwarf and now when Leila decided to follow her own will despite the dangers it entailed without someone to protect her. "I am very very disappointed in you, Leila. This is not what Lannisters do!"

"I'm sorry, uncle." Leila whispers to him as she fumbled with her fingers, her green orbs unable to even look at her uncle's eyes. She felt ashamed that she didn't inform her uncle of her plans. Her uncle Gerion was the most understanding person in the family and she knew he only worried for her safety knowing she was young and his own blood. He worries constantly for her and she returned it by worrying him. She did not regret anything from her trip but the fact that she made her family worried, that she was ashamed of. "It will never happen again, I swear to it."

"That's right." Gerion exclaims harshly. "It will not happen again. Mors Manwoody has recovered and from now on, he will not be leave your side. He will be reporting everything you do from now on, Leila. Be thankful  that your father will not hear of this at all."

Leila had held her tongue there instead of causing her uncle's hand. Instead, she sat and listened to him speak for another half an hour, trying to avoid the rolling of her eyes as she listened to him speak and speak. She tried to remain civil too, knowing that Mors was here. She knew that he too was going to be badgering her with his own feelings about her running off on her own. Leila did not mean for them to feel like they've been betrayed. But she too had her own will and life. She wondered why it was not simple to be who she was. 

But when has there even been a simpler time? Leila sighed as her thoughts drifted to Dorne. 'That was where simpler times had been,' she thought. 'That was where I could walk freely without question, that was where I could be who I wanted to be without criticism. I could be me. I could be Leila without needing to blind others from that fact. To them, I was Leila of House Lannister and nothing else. I will only ever be my father's daughter.'

The soldiers had began to remove all the items within the inn and quickly into the streets, with the men loyal to her family prowling the streets keeping the people from disturbing the work of loading the things into carts and litters that would bring everything into the Red Keep. The unwanted attention was what Gerion was keeping at bay, knowing some nobles have some spies that would surely like to disrupt the advances they have to make. 

Leila had decided to wear the colors of her house, gold and red with some gems of silver and blue to come with it. The long red gown had wide long sleeves with short necklines in the manner of a square design, lined with weaves of pure silver and gold blending together in designs of sun disks and lions dancing together in the magnificence of her long down. It was lavish to one's tastes, mostly her own. But she knew her father wanted for her to feel the pride that was well within her rights and status of birth. 

Leila watched as she fixed the sleeves on her wrists, looking at the magnificent gems brightly gleaming. All about her was jewels, some even belonging from her mother which was given to her after her mother's death. None of which were of the ones her mother owned as Lady of Casterly Rock but was bought with her own money. Nevertheless, they were magnificent pieces.

Her ears were pierced when she had gone to live in Dorne, which earned much criticism with her letters at home. Leila didn't care, though. She wore the bright silver diamond earrings that had been gifted to her by the lord of Starfall, who had it made from one of the burning stars that they had found in Starfall. Leila was delighted with them as they were made from stars which she was sure she was always going to wear. 

Then about her neck was a stunning gold necklace consisting of bright white pearls, green sapphires and red rubies magnificently made with the end of it being a lion in a round space of gold with small pieces of pearls circulating it beautifully. Her wrists with similar bright gold pearls that were specially made for her by Oberyn himself.

Perhaps the only simplicity was over in her hair and choice of shoes. Her long blonde hair was weaved together in neat tight braids with ribbons filled with beautiful silvery patterns like white roses in three levels as her hair was too long.

The last strands of her magnificent hair was let loose, which allowed people to see the brilliant curls that made the Lannisters have well known curls. Then her shoes were plain silver, without decorations or elaborations and was tight as it was broadly squared about her toes. It was tied wonderfully over her knees, which was gladly hidden by her dress.

When she finished, she washed her face with water filled with red roses, honey, lily water, rosewater, lemon and almonds and afterwards, placed her rings in her fingers as she watched them glisten against the bright rays of the sun. Leila stood up and eyed herself in the glass mirror, spinning about trying to see how she looked. She was shocked that she managed to make herself look much better than what her lady's maids usually made her look like. Usually, they made her look respectable, yes.

But Leila found that sometimes they made her look more like one of the most expensive whores rather than a respectable lady and mostly due to their skills in making sure she followed the trends of the era. Leila had no time for that, though. She prefers to dress to suit her comforts, not what they think would make her likable. Leila decided that she would only put creme on her face today, uncertain that she wanted to look like a mummer in front of her lord father and the king.

"Ye done there, Leila? We hae to lea in a few moments." Mors Manwoody knocked on her door as Leila looked to the door, walking to it when she finished placing creme over her face and opened the door for him. Leila watched the looks he gave her, from face to toes. "Ye look nice, lass."

"Thank you, Mors." Leila smiled at her companion, feeling his Manwoody height make her feel like a dwarfling.  She saw him lean over the poster of her bed, causing her to frown. He had his serious look on. "Oh dear Seven, you are going to lecture me too? I thought we have to go?"

"Lass, I hae enough time to I ken ye dinna like it but ye canna dae what ye will all the time, Leila." Mors exclaimed to her, causing her to roll her eyes. "Lass, dinna roll yer eyes on me. I dinna like it."

"You're older than me by a few years, that's it. Besides, I didn't do anything wrong by leaving. You and my uncle both got the rest you needed, I got my adventure." I even met a prince and fished him off the Blackwater.

"But I protect ye, ye wean." Mors replied back to her as she slouched over her chair, not caring for the wrinkling of her gown. "Ye are my responsibility, whether ye care or no. What if something happened to ye? I dinna care if you wanted to have an adventure but ye ken that ye could have asked us to come wit ye, lass. We don't scold ye to feel like ye did something bad, we scold ye so ye understand that we care fer ye. I worry for ye very much lass, yer like a sister I dinna have. I care for ye a lot, lass and if something happened to ye, I would blame myself. I just want ye to know that if ye wanna hae adventures, ye can tell me. I willna stop ye, so long as I'm there to protect ye, alright lass?"

"I know." She mutters as she looks at him, her arms over her chest. She felt bad that they "I'm sorry, for worrying you. I promise I'll make sure your here with me, always."

"Well, wer done with that, stoatin' fer us, no?" He smiled at her as he walked over and gave her his hand as he helped her up from the chair.  "Noo, let's get ye to the Red Keep properly, so no more slouching, lass. Yer dress is bonnie. We dinna want yer father to see ye in a bowfing dress noo?"

"No, I don't think he'll be happy with me." Leila agreed with a laugh. "He'd probably send me to the dungeons of Maegor the Cruel."

Mors laughed, "Well, at least ye'll manage to look bonnie in front of the rats and cockroaches, no?"

"Oh, I'll make sure you are going to be there too, you mean red man." Leila chortled at him, causing him to grin.

"Say all ye want lass, but with rags and dirt, I still look like a magnificent god with red hair. I doubt yer father wants to start an uprising of my devote followers." Leila laughed.

"Oh, shut your mouth you blasphemous fool." Mors choked in laughter as he and Leila excited the room, hand in hand as they hoped for the best today.

But of course, happiness does not last very long.

LEILA WAS EXCITED TO SEE THE CITY AGAIN, THOUGH SHE WAS SAD SHE WAS NOT WALKING ALL AROUND IT. Leila instead was asked to sit in a litter as the Mors and her uncle Gerion led on horseback on large palfreys of the magnificent colors of white and grey with exquisite saddles of the lion of Casterly Rock screaming furiously across the red velvet leather. Leila supposed that her litter was comfortable enough to be complied with. There were green and red pillows with lions knitted in gold threads, sheets of beaming sunlight gold Myrish silk so comfortable that she might have fallen asleep for a moment there as the trip was taking too long. She supposed she wouldn't have fallen asleep if she had any companions inside but Gerion forbade the idea of Mors being inside of the litter alone with her. She was after all a female and engaged to wed a prince. There was no way Gerion would allow any enemies of house Lannister to be able to have something to slander them with, including Leila's virtues. Of course, he did not know that her virtue already belonged to her future husband but Leila was not going to say anything. 

The litter two windows from both sides covered by light lace curtains, a small window opening behind her to bring more air and in front of her was the doorway, closed tightly and opened only from the outside. Of course, the litter was not a horse drawn one like the ones she and Oberyn had in Dorne. The streets of King's Landing were too narrow and complexly packed, so only men carried it. Two on each side carried the litter upward, meaning with four sides there were eight men walking and carrying the litter. 

On the sides of the litter were marching Lannister soldiers entrusted with protecting Leila Lannister from anyone who dare threaten her as their journey continued. Holding long heavy spears with swords safely sheathed about their waists and their long shields with the rampant lions making the people sweat about the streets knowing that this was the force that would risk their lives for the lion. Each soldier here is loyal to Tywin and his family alone. That was a test many of these men always had to have repeatedly because Tywin does not want disobedience and he showed that in Castamere.

As they passed through streets, Leila felt her heart sore with pity. There were people lined in the streets starving and begging, all different people as she kept passing by. Some were old people who could have served the king in his wars, some were youths who probably were orphans and did not have people to support them. Leila felt like the barriers were shattered between her and the people who were not of her status. She felt like this too when she had been in her lands in Dorne. Some were homeless, jobless and even former convicts. 

Leila knew that they only deserved a chance, Oberyn agreed with her of course. Leila was for the first time in a while given the determination she had lacked since her beloved had left. This could be why the gods had called her to King's Landing, why her father had called her here. To help these poor people. They needed her here. Promised herself that she would do all these people glad. They will have a voice in court through her.

About an hour later, Leila and her entourage finally reached the Red Keep's large outer gates. Leila had been sitting down but she could see every aspect of the Red Keep itself. The large stone parapets with the large iron spikes where she read the heads of the king's enemies were to be placed with tar to keep it from rotting.

The outer gates were large, not as tall as the Lion's Mouth in Casterly Rock where it was so massive that companies of men can ride over it like an invading army in the field. As they entered, Leila saw the fluttering banners of the three headed dragon in red as they screeched in the field of black. It was everywhere, from the tower of the Hand to the Tower of the White Swords. Leila could understand the pride that Aerys Targaryen wanted to show the world outside his own palace. They too did that in Casterly Rock, proudly where the lions roamed free without the watchful eye of the dragon.

Leila felt the litter stop as she looked out through the windows, wondering where they were now. Leila was uncertain who would welcome her as soon as she got down. She knew her father was too busy of a man to even welcome her and she understood that. Hand to the King and Lord of Casterly at the same time, that task requires his attention.

The door creaking open, the two split doors making her see the redness of the castle walls. Mors came to the view and surrendered his hands to her to help her come out of the litter carefully. Before then the face she was too familiar with showed.

Tygett Lannister was dressed in red velvet, from his doublet to his tight militaristic style of pants. A medallion of a golden lion filled with sapphires and rubies ringing about his neck up to where his heart could be, shining beautifully like his bright Lannister curls over crowning his tall muscular head.

Leila found that her father and uncle Gerion look more alike than she would have hoped. They have the same inherited features, from their jaw's shape to the ears on the sides of their faces. One would think they were twins. But in fact they were years apart. That fact angered her uncle who wanted nothing more than to be separated from his brother, a man who desired to be his own man.

"My dearest niece." He exclaims aloud as she, still escorted by her dear friend hand in hand, walked up to meet her uncle's taller figure.   He dropped his head to bow to her. "I welcome you on behalf of your lord father and my dear brother, lord of Casterly Rock and the Westerlands and our dear lord hand to the king."

"I am most thankful that you took the time to ensure me your warmest of welcomes, uncle of mine, on behalf of my lord father the lord of Casterly Rock and the Westerlands and our dearest king's most trusted hand." She curtsied then after letting go of Mors' hands.

"Brother dearest, I thank you for receiving us on behalf of our dearest brother." Gerion Lannister bowed his head to his elder in a moment and flashed a grin over his high handsome face. "Our dearest Tywin was generous enough to give us both of your warmth and affection."

She could hear her uncle Tygett scoff humourlessly inside. "There is nothing to be thankful for dearest brother. Now, let me introduce you to some of the king's court."

Leila covered her face with smiles despite the fact that she had no interest in meeting some of the people in the king's court. Most notable of whom was Mace Tyrell who was visiting from Highgarden with his wife and sons and the king's blood, sons of his cousin Steffon, Robert and Stannis Baratheon who were there while their parents were gone across the Narrow Sea. Leila was enchanted with Robert and Stannis far more than fat Mace Tyrell.  Robert was loud and funny while Stannis was serious and stern.

Leila wanted to talk more with them. Robert seemed deligted with speaking to her even for just a small moment and Stannis seemed alright with her presence primarily because she did forget to include him in the conversation. But Tygett had told her that she was expected by her father and she knew her father would see her as soon as she arrived despite whatever state she was in. Robert frowned but she vowed she would talk to them later at the banquet where she was sure she would be presented to the royal family.

"This place gives me unwanted feelings, lass." Mors exclaimed to her as his eyes watched the centuries old stones, as if wondering what secrets they could tell had they been able to talk. "I dinna like that."

"Calm down, Mors." Leila whispers to him in reply as they were escorted by guards in through the palace with both her uncles in the lead, occasionally Leila would hear uncle Gerion laughing and uncle Tygett gritting his teeth. "You will not meet my father, I will. I am supposed to feel that discomfort, my dear friend."

"Ye lived with yer father all yer life, of course yer going to feel reassured about the feeling of seeing him again."

"It is fine, I swear to you."

The entire entourage stopped at a large dark door, where four Lannister guards stood in two sides of the door dressed in the proud lion armor that Leila had always liked. Tygett and Gerion turned to her as she turned to her own companion with red hair. He sighed and nodded at her.

“I will wait for you here.” He swears at her, looking at the four guards and glared like a viper would to a prey.

Leila nodded and allowed her uncles to lead the way to the door, with one of the guards on each side opening it for them. Leila was the last to enter, giving precedence to her elder and male relatives. As soon as they entered, Leila eyed the entire room’s simplicity. The simplicity that only her father was allowed to have she thinks. The wide room was filled with tall round columns of golden marble, papers neatly stacked in various desks and where a round table was filled with a few seats.

She guessed this is where her father conducted the business of running the realm with the small council he had to work with. The smell of dried parchment and wet ink filled the air as they got closer where two sides of the pathway to the main desk her father sat upon roared two lions in dark metal. She wondered why her father did not choose gold but she was sure it was to inspire fear upon the people who would enter her father’s presence.

Tywin Lannister was no man to cross after all.

Her father was there, sitting upon his chair like he always was when he was not training in the courtyard with his men and wrote in silence. Her father was a fond lover of silence, though Leila recalled she enjoyed it as much as he did. Leila walked behind her two elder uncles and ended up a few feet away from her father’s desk. He did not look up to them at all, in fact he kept writing and occasionally dipping his quill back into the golden ink bowl while they continued to stand.

Her father was always like this. How amazing it was for Leila to see the power her father had over all he knew, even his own family by making them wait for him to speak.  They curtsied to him, though he hardly took notice. But she knew he saw them. He was just going to make them wait for his word.

Tywin stopped writing and settled the quill with his other ones in the round casing away from him and closed the ink well. Her father then opened his small casing of dried sand and spread it across the wet ink, blowing it away when it was completely dry. Following that was him burning the red sealing wax he had on his spoon in the hot candle near him.

Allowing it to drop in the folded parchment, he allowed it to drop as the smoke still rushed from it. Moving his hand slightly, he found his seal that he was to use when it was the business of the Hand of the King instead of the lord of Casterly Rock.

“I see that you’ve arrived.” Was the first words her father had muttered, removing the seal from the wax once it had hardened over the parchment. “You have my gratitude for welcoming them, Tygett.”

“I did as I was asked brother.” Replied the younger brother to his elder brother. “I am glad to be useful to our family.”

“As you should be, otherwise you would not be considered my brother.” Tywin exclaimed, setting aside his sealed letter and eyed his family with his eyes cold and silent. He eyed Gerion. “Was the voyage met without trouble, Gerion?”

“Yes, brother.” Gerion exclaimed in reply, a small smile on his handsome face. Tywin was not delight with his smiling. “Nothing was wrong, the waters was very kind to us.”

“I should expect that no trouble happened.”

“None at all.” Gerion admitted, trying to bite his tongue about what had happened today and how they had arrived a day early. He grinned harder. “Except the women in the ship, they are the feistiest women the sailors have had in a while.”

“That will be all.” Tywin cut of his youngest brother, disgusted with what he had said. “You will not say such things out loud again, Gerion. You both may leave.”

“Of course.” Tygett coughed to clear his mouth as he eyed Gerion but Gerion merely smiled at him. The two younger brothers bowed to their liege lord and elder brother and walked backwards, lowered heads as their brother watched them leave with cold eyes as Leila stood tall as she was supposed to.

When they left through the doors, Leila and Tywin were now alone for the first time in almost two years.

“Father.” Leila curtsied to her father once more as he took to putting his hands over his desk connected in one locked fist. “I am very glad to be in your presence again.”

“Sit.” He commanded to her, softly raising her head to face her father’s seasoned stone hard face. She did as she was told though, seating herself gently as she fixed the edges of her red dress. “How was your voyage?”

“It could have used some thrill.” Leila exclaimed with her hands resting over her knees. “Though, the only interesting thing that happened in the trip was my sworn sword having the sea illness.”

“Your sworn sword, he is the heir of house Manwoody and he pledged himself to you knowing his prospect are to his house.”

Leila smiled. “It was his choice to do such thing despite me telling him that it was not necessary. But the Dornish are as stubborn as Northerners.”

He scoffed. “They must match the honor of the Starks then?”

“Not quite, but they are very true to their word when it is needed."

“Your lands, have they fully been dealt with as well?” Her father questions as she nodded at him. “Sunfire, is it?”

“Yes,” She confirms to him. “The Red Mountains is the view of my lands. They seem like a fire against the sun, so thus the name.”

“How much are the people have settled in your lands?”

“At the very least eight thousand now,” Leila tries to recall for her father. “Why do you ask? Is there to be a war?”

“No.” He bluntly responded, leaning slightly against the backrest. “But should there be, there must be more people. Your lands is still ruled by a Lannister.”

“Martell when I am to wed.”

“You will still be bounded by the law of blood, daughter.” Tywin huffed in retort to her. “Martell or Lannister, my blood will still run through your children with the Martell prince once you wed. They are still needed to support our house in times of conflict.”

“I understand.” Leila says as she pursed her lips. “Then you would have me persuade Doran to declare Dorne for your wars as well?”

“If the situation requires it, then you must do what is needed for the survival of house Lannister.”

Leila wanted to tell her father that she was to be a Martell, that her allegiance to her house was not to matter to her once she weds Oberyn. Perhaps her allegiance had already shifted. But she held her tongue. She knew better than to challenge her father in such matters.

“I shall send more people from Lannisport and the lands of the Westerlands to your lands to continue enlarging the population quickly.”

“Won’t that displease some of your lords, father? Taking people from their own lands..”

His cold green eyes bore against her warm ones like a cold blade stabbing through her. “Not unless they wish their house name to be forgotten.”

“Is that all you wished to say to me, father?” Leila asks to him in a clear yet watchful tone. She dare not raise her tone at this furious lion. “Or is there more to my presence here at court?”

“You are to woo the king.” He answers without any sugar upon that bitter news. Her eyes widened at his words. “Not to be his mistress, Leila. I have much more sense than to send you to be his whore. There will never be a Lannister, especially my own blood, warming the bed of such a man.”

She sighed in relief at her father’s words. He hated whores, of course. Her own grandfather, lord Tytos Lannister had been a mocked man all over the Westerlands and her father thought that it was not only his weak demeanor but his inability to control his sexual desires.

His last mistress had been a kitchen wench and as soon as her grandfather bedded her, she thought herself as lady of the Rock and even saw herself free to claim the jewels of the lady of Casterly Rock which had belonged to her grandmother. Leila knew her father had never forgotten the anger he felt about it.

Her father punished that girl brutally, making her go around naked in the entirety of Lannisport and other surrounding areas, holding a candle in hand and dressed only in her kirtle, day and night and punished her when she was not walking.

The most terrible part of that demeaning punishment was that she had to walk up to every man she saw and tell them that she was a thief to the lord of Casterly Rock and that she was dirty whore.

“Then what do you want me to do?”

“I need you to charm him.” He exclaims finally. “The king, he is growing paranoid with all those around him, including me. Jealous of what I could do. He forgets that he put me in this position to deal with matters that do not interest him. I do what I do because he had willed me to do them. But he forgets that. And now, he rejects every plan of reform I put on his face. My patience is very long. You know this. But if the king keeps making such childish acts, I will force him to release me from his service. I cannot serve him when he is preventing me from doing what I must.”

“You want me to ensure that he will agree to any plan you may present to him by charming him?” Leila asked, her father did not nod or said anything. He was not the man who repeating things twice.

"By playing such vile games these people who say only things that please the king and not his truth?”

“The king and I are not in the best of terms lately, Leila. He has his own troubles as I do have mine. But it would seem he thinks his is more worthy to remember than that of the kingdom he has entrusted me to govern.”

“Jealousy is not a great color on a dragon.” Leila exclaimed softly as her father kept silent. She was sure he would be laughing had he not wanted to be the stern man that he was. “Is that all I am to do? Charm him and flatter him, then get his favor in order to advocate you’re wished reform then what?”

“You may return to Dorne when you have done your purpose for the realm.” Her father says to her as she turned silent. “That is what you want to do, isn’t it? Return to Dorne? Do your duty and then you may do as you wish.”

“I shall do my best, father.” She swears to him. “I will not disappoint you or our family.”

“You will not.” He agrees with her, standing from his chair and domineered at her youthful figure. “You may leave, Leila. I will speak to you tonight at the banquet. You will be presented to the king and the queen there.”

“Of course, father.” Leila nodded as she stood from her chair. “What color must I wear?”

“Lannister.” He answers to her, causing her to snort and soon curtsied to him as she left, walking backwards as her uncles had done earlier. Knocking on the doors, it opened and soon with one last look at her father she left the room.

Mors looked at her and her eyes widened as he took hold of her arms and looked to her shoulders, then her hands as she saw the Lannister soldiers about to move. She shook her head at them as she slapped Mors’ hand causing him to hiss.

“Fer a small lass ye hit like a stallion, Leila.” He tells her as she bid farewell to the guards and pulled Mors away from her father’s chambers. “What? I was checkin’ if ye got hurt, lass.”

“My father may say hurtful words but he isn’t one to hit people with his own hand unless it was a battlefield.” Leila assures him. “My father had never hurt me physically, Mors.”

Mors frowned, “But he mentally hurts ye-“

“That is what he must do.” Leila tells her friend as they continued to walk through the stairs of the Tower of the Hand. “It is why our family works well in everything, he tells us the bitter truth. That is more desirable than sweet lies.”

“That must feel…lonely.” He says to her causing her to smile sadly. “That does not feel like a family at all, lass.”

“No, it does not. But that is my family, the one I have to deal with it.” Leila shakes her head. “Now, let us go on a walk after we finish with these horridly long steps. I want to have some fresh air!”

Mors knew that Leila was masking the sorrow in her.

So Mors felt it for her.

RHAEGAR TARGARYEN TRIED TO FEEL LIKE HE WAS AWAKE. But of course, he feels like he was drowning and that there was no air to be felt. That was what he has been feeling since he arrived in Dragonstone that morning. He has yet to sleep for he could not sleep. Usually, the prince of Dragonstone had the pleasure of being asleep when he smelt the sweet salty smell of the calm waters that drifted his ship. But he found that his mind was not shutting off and for some reason, he could not stop thinking about yesterday. Yesterday was still fresh in his mind, yesterday was still present in his mind as if it was still happening.

He sighed heavily as he dropped the parchment he was reading over unable to feel any interest in the contents of it.  The prince was much too sure of the importance of the contents but no matter how hard he tried he couldn’t find any importance in it. In his mind, the things he found important was too far from the ones he finds every single day that related to his duty. Leaning over the backrest of his large wooden chair, he closed his eyes and tried to find solace and relief.

But all he saw was those beautiful green eyes.

He wasn’t sure what shade of green they were. He was still debating whether they were like the seafoam green he would see at the endless waters that surrounded his domain or whether they were the greens of the sapphires he would find in countless jewels or whether they were that of fresh green grass that blossoms beautifully across the vast fields of Highgarden. But the prince was sure that those green orbs had to be the most delightfully welcomed eyes he has seen in a while.

King’s Landing took a lot on him, took too much of his joys. If he got to decide, he would find that his joys were his music and his freedom from all the weight of the world on his shoulders. But he knew that he could not leave his duty, not when tensions rose between his father and lord Tywin. Not now. But for a while, he began to think that those green eyes had made him feel some calm, a joy he was sure he had never found before. They contained adventure, hope, love. Love, such a foreign word for a man as melancholy as him. But he knew so much love was within her eyes. Yes, they were the first ones he had noticed to contain such thing so freely. So bright and eternal like the sun’s beams.
But he was sure her beautiful golden hair, long and well cared for was also one of the things he could not stop thinking about. It was the most perfect shade of gold he had ever seen. Perhaps more beautiful than the gold in the vaults of Casterly Rock.

They were perfectly soft, tied together in the most excellent knots. But it was simple, unlike the ones most women at court style. Elaborate and excessive, some even add large pieces of jewelry. But she was simple, she did not waste effort in trying to look beautiful for she was already wonderful. Perhaps the most blessed beauty in the world. The Maiden had given her love to the Dornishman’s daughter.

The prince felt a smile drift to his handsome pinkish lips. He could easily say that she might have been the most beautiful person he had ever met and she was not even trying to do much. She was so easy to talk to, so outgoing and so refreshing to his presence. He was not like the snobs of court, not like the people that surround his father who only try to gain his attention for their own gains. That was perhaps the only reason why Rhaegar had a hard time choosing friends.

He was not willing to let his friends step on him for their own gains. He desired someone who would be able to talk to him freely, someone who was easy to trust and would be able to keep his secrets. Someone he could tell his pains to without having to pretend. That was easily Lyra Marell to him.

Lyra Marell understood what he was going through, he could see it. She too was having problems with wishing to be herself because she was a woman and a daughter of her father. She too answers to other authorities who tell her what was appropriate and what was acceptable. He found someone who was struggling with things that he too was struggling with. Choices, allegiances. Lyra was the first person in his lifetime that perhaps truly understood.

“Rhaegar!” He opened his tired lilac eyes to see the same color of eyes to look back at him. He sighed and sat properly as Arthur Dayne chuckled hard at the sight of him, sitting down on one of the chairs in front of his desk. “Oh, you should have seen your face!”

“Shut up.” Rhaegar huffed back to his knightly friend, causing Arthur to chuckle more. The prince of Dragonstone rolled his eyes. “What do you want, my dear Arthur?”

“Nothing.” Arthur replied to his prince. “Just wanted to make sure you were still alive. You’ve been at the same chair for hours now.”

“I have to keep working.” The prince huffed back to the knight, taking one of the unopened parchments and waving it towards Arthur. “See? Working.”

“Hmmm, you haven’t been sleeping have you?” The Dornishman guessed as Rhaegar ignored him. “Is this about the girl Connington was yapping about? The Dornishman’s daughter?”

Rhaegar felt his mouth dried up almost in an instant as he stopped opening his letter. “Jon was talking about Lyra?”

“It was just drunken slurs last night at the ship, he didn’t tell everything to me!” Arthur chuckled louder as Rhaegar felt his cheeks reddened. “Oh dear gods, you’re blushing too!”

“She was just a merchant’s daughter who Jon and I managed to see fishing by the Blackwater-“

“Hmm, Jon specifically said she defiled you with her fishing skills.” Arthur grinned as Rhaegar blushed harder. “Ohhhh, it is true, then? She managed to fish you up? What a Dornishwoman, she is then. Managing to catch the future king of the Seven Kingdoms instead of the fish she meant to find.”

“Lyra was not at fault at that, she did not mean to get the fishing hook over my cloak, Arthur.” Explained the prince, trying to make Arthur believe his words. The white knight from Starfall was unfortunately too busy with making assumptions. “She did not mean to do something like that-“

“Ohhh, Lyra is her name!”

“Arthur, it was not like that.” Rhaegar sighed heavily at his friend. “She merely was in the Blackwater Bay to fish after seeing the city for the first time. Her father is a Dornish merchant, she was merely awaiting him to finish his business. That is all.”

“Oh, and then Jon said you commanded him to go.” Arthur says, intent of trying to know the truth he believes. “Did you and Lyra have a good time? I can tell you from experience, Dornishwomen are the best in bed-“

“I would never force women to warm my bed when they clearly do not want to.” Rhaegar makes it clear to his friend, as a small frown echoes over his handsome lips. “You know my father already forces my mother…”

“I apologize for upsetting you, Rhaegar.” Arthur says sincerely, his teasing features becoming that of a serious man. “I did not mean to push such a topic further.”

“You are forgiven, my dear friend. But I should hope that you do not force me to say such things like that again.”

Rhaegar was extremely guilty of not being able to stop his father from bedding his mother when she did not want to. Rhaegar knew his mother was too soft, too afraid of his father to say anything. She did not do anything to prevent it. But what made it worse was that the young prince did not do enough to stop it. Rhaegar had gotten into rows with his father about such a latter over the past year. But he was powerless to stop it. Rhaegar often pleaded with Tywin Lannister to do something about it, to give his mother some much needed relief from the pains of his father’s domineering attitude.

Rhaegar felt glad that his mother was pregnant now, finally finding some solace in the Maiden Vault where she stayed during her confinement. Rhaegar prayed every single day for his mother and his new sibling. He hoped that the child would be safe and that his mother would not suffer anymore. That perhaps she too will be happy. He prayed for those days to come.

But they were not to come yet.

“I swear, I will not do it again.” Arthur assures him as the prince nodded and got back to his work. “But if I may ask, what did happen yesterday, Rhaegar? You haven’t sleep, that could only mean that you have been thinking heavily.”

He sighed as he placed back the paper on the desk. “I cannot stop thinking about the Dornishwoman. Something about her…it draws me to her, Arthur. Lyra is unlike any of the other women I have met at court. I’ve only met her and I felt like she understood what I was going through. As if she knows what pains I deal with as a man with duty heavy on his shoulder. She knows. I would want to write to her but being a daughter of a merchant, I highly doubt there isn’t a day she travels. I should like to see her again, Arthur.” He scoffs for a moment. “Isn’t that odd, Arthur? I am so drawn to a girl that I would rather see her again than play my lyre alone at Summerhall. I would like to play it for her.”

“I think you’re in love, Rhaegar.” Arthur gasps as Rhaegar looked at him questioningly. “You are in love with this Dornishwoman!”

“Arthur, in love? That is preposterous. How can one fall in love with someone at first sight? You are supposed to fall in love when you absolutely know the person, not just when you met them.” Rhaegar tells his friend and sighed playfully. “I merely find that she understand my struggles. Unlike some people around me.”

Arthur rolled his eyes playfully. “Oh, is that it? You appreciate her more than you appreciate me? The man that protects you in your every single living moment? I feel betrayed at the moment, Rhaegar Targaryen!”

Rhaegar chuckled at his friend. “Well, she has a prettier face than you.”

Arthur stood up and playfully left as Rhaegar continued to chuckle at his friend. “I am not going to look at you right now, my prince! I will see you at the audience hall!”

“I shall see you later, drama queen!”

He took a small sigh as he was finally alone.

He did wish to see her again.

TYWIN LANNISTER DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO FEEL AS HE READ THE PARCHMENT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. He could truly not believe it deeply within him that such a thing would be possible. But he knew from the beginning that it was always in the man’s nature to be sleep with other women, regardless of their status. Whores and wives other lords, their daughters too. Tywin knew that some lords were naturally that way. But he could not ignore this. He could not ignore the very fact that this happened to his own blood. It was unforgivable. He looked up to his brother Gerion and Tygett as they sat over in the vacant chairs that were blocked by his large mahogany desk. He crumpled the parchment and threw it behind him, the hearth burning hot as the night drew closer and closer. The parchment burnt and he turned to his brothers.

“How could Loreza Martell not know that exiling her foolish son will lead to this?”

Tywin had rarely been angry but now he was. He was deeply anguished. Nothing had ever been spared from him in this earth. He had seen his father drag the great name of his family through the mud, he had people rebelling against his family, he had seen royalty be ungrateful from him doing his duty, he had seen people he had known die. Nothing was spared from him in this earth.

“How could she not know that he would bed another woman, hm? Most especially a septa! And now, she tells us she apologizes for the fact that the damn septa is pregnant! That man is to marry my eldest daughter and he shames her honor by bedding another woman? A woman of the damn Seven!”

“It has happened, brother.” Tygett exclaimed to his brother as Tywin glared at him. “Now we must figure out a way to respond. Calmly.”

“Tygett is correct.” Gerion agrees with his elder brother with a rare look upon his face. He was serious. “We must figure out a way to respond properly and calmly. This is not a light matter, brother. This involves an alliance. A war is not what the probable answer. Leila is a lady of Dorne despite this, that means we would be fighting her to.”

“Leila is a lady of Casterly Rock first.” Tywin exclaimed with a slam of his fist on the desk. “And she has been disrespected. That means that the entirety of our house has been disrespected! I will not tolerate such acts against our house, Gerion.”

“Then end our alliance with Dorne.” Tygett tells his brothers, causing them to look at him. “Tywin, Gerion is right as young and idiotic he is at times. There is no need for a war. There is no need to waste resources we could keep for our people to be well fed. There is no reason to fight a war. Just end the alliance, brother. Show them that when we do end the alliance that we have the king’s backing. You brought Leila here for a greater purpose, my brother. You brought her to be the king’s new favorite and that would show Oberyn Martell and his entire family that Lannisters always pay their debts.”

The entire room was of silence, most especially Tywin. The two men were not afraid to speak their minds to their elder brother. He may be a dangerous man to cross but he was very considerate to his family. He actually listened to them and with the look he had on his face, he was thinking if they were right. Gerion did not want another war even if he had not been to war before. He was too young to have joined his elder brothers during the War of the Ninepenny Kings. But he did not want to go to war.

He did not want to see people die or starve or suffer. He was not one for war. Tygett was different. Tygett distinguished himself in war like Kevan and Tywin. But he was not going to decide to wage an unnecessary war.

This matter was something that could be solved properly without a war. It was a diplomatic matter and Leila and Oberyn could perhaps even talk it out if they have the chance to see each other again. But the look on his eldest brother’s face said otherwise.

“I need you both to call for the High Septon.” Tywin exclaimed to his brothers commandingly.
The two younger brothers eyed each other but Gerion looked to Tywin. “Now? Brother, the king is holding a banquet tonight-“

“I have no intention to attend the banquet tonight, tonight is Leila’s duty.” Tywin told his brothers. “Now, both of you. I need to speak to the High Septon.”

The two of them did not know what would come to be that night.

But it would be big.

A big change.

LEILA WAS NERVOUS AS SHE STOOD THERE, AWAITING THE PRESENCE OF THE KING OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS. Mors stood beside her, dressed in black and white to showcase the pride he had for his house. Leila did the same, dressing in green and gold which matched the beauty of her eyes. Leila Lannister privately was not one for the large extravagant parties at court.

She was the kind of person who would have enjoyed the intimacy of having a few people around to talk with her about things that actually interest her. But alas, Leila had to put her thoughts aside for the sake of duty.

People kept coming to Leila, trying to curry her favor with much energy. Why wouldn’t they try? She was Tywin Lannister’s daughter, one of the most powerful men in the seven kingdoms.

They wanted to use her as a gateway to inherit power. But Leila was not one to cave in to other people’s wishes. They were not her liege lord or her father. They meant nothing to her but annoyance. Leila tried to smile them off her, feeling uncomfortable with their presence.

Leila tried to think of things that would please her more. Her beloved Oberyn, her beloved Sunfire. Her beloved Nymeria and Meria. Her beloved Elia and Ashara. Her beloved future stepdaughters. Her beloved Tyrion.

She kept repeating those things in her head as the music continued to be louder and the chatter more unbearable in the sights of these debouche and joyless people. Leila though found slight entertainment in watching Robert and Mors interact. Mors was very happy to interact with a fellow hunter like Robert, drinking together and laughing while she and Stannis spoke of the books that they have read and spoke of hawking.

Robert came into the conversation later on, inviting Leila to Storm’s End sometime to have a hunt with him and his father and brother. Leila took him up with that invitation, hoping to write to Oberyn to tell him to come.

But then that was cut short.

Leila heard the trumpets roar and thunder as the sound of the heralds speaking the king’s titles. The king entered with the pregnant queen, dressed in the most magnificent garbs of the most fantastic silks that Leila had ever seen. They must have been Myrish silk, but the detail of on the creation of it was just brilliant. Leila, like the rest of the courtiers and nobles of the realm in the room curtsied to the king and the queen as they walked through the red velvet carpets of the throne room.

The king sat stiffly at the Iron Throne, perhaps he must have hurt himself again yesterday.  Queen Rhaella sat carefully  on her own chair just a few steps away from the Iron Throne with the help of the lord commander of the kingsguard, ser Oswell Whent and Leila from where she stood with Robert, Stannis and Mors, saw the tired beauty in the smile the queen gave.

Maester Pycelle began the evening by addressing the important things and details before the banquet was to happen, including Leila’s arrival. Leila felt all the eyes turned to her as her name was called by the old Maester with a hint of pride in his tone. He must have an admiration for her family name, she thinks. But she cannot trust this man. Not with her life.

Robert offered his hand to Leila, deciding that since her uncles and her father could not be there to present her to the king and the queen, he would do it on their behalf. Leila knew that he was the king’s nephew as the king and his own lord father lord Steffon Baratheon were dear cousins. Leila agreed with a small smile. Robert would recall for the rest of his life that if he had not been engaged to Lyanna Stark and she not engaged to Oberyn Martell at that time, he would have hoped to have wed her. She was that kind of woman that every man desired and every woman envied.

Robert was stronger and taller than her but regardless of that he tried to be gentle with her as he helped her up through the pathway and both of them curtsied in front of the king and the queen, causing whispers and murmers to come about.

Even curtsies are to gossip about, she thought annoyedly. Can’t they find anything else to speak off?
Perhaps books or something worth talking about.

“Your grace,” Robert bowed to his uncle and then turned to the queen.” My queen.  I am very delighted to see you both well and healthy as always.”

“Dearest Robert, it gladdens me that you are as well as your father and your mother, the seven bless them.” The king exclaims loudly as Leila thought of the king’s voice commanding but trying to hard to be heard. He looked to Leila’s bowed figure.  Though, Leila thought that he looked like Rhaegar. Older and tired. Perhaps filled with never ending grief. More than Rhaegar. “I believe you have someone to present to us, dearest nephew.”

“That I do, your grace.” Robert nodded his head as he gave way to Leila to show her face, causing the king and the queen’s eyes to widen slightly. “Your grace, I would like to present to you on behalf of house Lannister, Leila of House Lannister. Daughter of the lord Tywin of House Lannister, your grace’s most dedicated Hand and his dear wife, the late lady Joanna of House Lannister.”

“I..” The king felt his throat feel dry at the sight of the young woman.

The daughter of Joanna Lannister. By the gods, the daughter looked like the mother. Leila was just the same figure as her mother though her eyes, her eyes were cold and unknown as that of her father. The man he considered as his friend. He stood from the Iron Throne as Rhaella looked at her brother and husband as then her eyes flashed to Leila Lannister. The night was haunted. Leila continued to curtsy as the king approached her.

“M-my lady…the queen and myself, the court of King’s Landing, welcome you.”

“I am most glad to be welcomed by the kindness of your grace and the queen’s.” Her gentle smile was that of yesterday to the king. The smile was the same as Joanna Lannister’s, filled with true innocence and beauty. “I am most humbled that you have allowed me to join your grace’s..wonderful court. The thanks of my household too for the comforts you have provided us. I truly am thankful for the wonderful rooms you have given me.”

“You need not curtsy any longer, my lady.” The king tells her as she smiled and with the king’s help, Leila turned back to the standing position. The older man was taller than her slightly. Her father was slightly taller than the king, she judged. “I must tell you, my lady. You are a welcomed sight in our court. A breath of fresh air, perhaps.”

“My king, if I was a great breath of fresh air, then I perhaps single-handedly cured the foul smells of your capital.” Leila jested to the king as the smile on his lips disappeared. Rhaella had a look of panic and the court once more turned to gossip. Leila did not worry, continuing to smile. She was not a sheep. She was lioness and she would not fear the lion. Leila was not afraid.

But then the laughter bursted out of the king.

The court too laughed as Robert laughed too. Everyone was laughing at the jest she had made. She giggled, causing the king to smile widely. For the first time, this was the most genuine smile the court had seen the king show the entire of his nobles for a very long time.

Leila looked to the queen and was given the eye of pity. It was as if the queen predicted the outcome of every single thing that would be going on in her life like a seer.
Leila thought that nothing could ruin her that night.

And she was right, nothing went wrong last night.

But she was not going to be very right for long.

This is the beginning of the end.

I apologize for making you all wait guys!

And sorry for this chapter!

And for the next one!

I'm about to break your heart more next chapter :^)

Be prepared :)))

I love you guys

Xoxoxoxo Author

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.5K 1.7K 55
Sansa Stark always wanted the lush and lavish life, Jae Gatsby had it. But the king had others plans for her in westeros. Can Gatsby save her from t...
4.1K 134 9
'Oh Lord, Oh Lord, what have I done? I've fallen in love with a man on the run Oh Lord, Oh Lord, I'm begging you please Don't take that sinner from m...
32.4K 1.7K 49
Jaime made a deal for Tyrions life. Tywin has come to collect. Rieka didnt sign up for marrying both Lannister brothers within a few moons yet here f...
313 23 10
Sannah Baratheon, the only legitimate child of Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister, is about to become 16 years old. In her journey of becoming a w...