ACT III

Act III of Devotion: Liberty

"My mother always said that a crown felt like a child over your shoulders. Your shoulders may hurt from carrying the child but you have a duty to carry them. My father even said that power felt like a knife, wield it well and fair and you do not hurt yourself but if you are not careful then you get hurt or even worse....dead.

And yet for many years both my mother and father carried the burden of both crown and power, something they despised in the end. I despised it enough to join the Citadel.

Dear reader, you might not realize it...but we are nearing the end of our tale. Rather sad, to think a book going to an end. But dear reader, you must not fear the end. You must not be afraid to end the tale for it is the part of our lives where we finally see how well we had lived our lives. At least that was what the white queen's belief. Perhaps it is also mine.

The journey of the white queen had been a long one and yet so short. So tragically short. Perhaps my mother knew that in the end. Maybe she always knew...

I must apologize in my lament over the matter. It is just...these years to come, these years that people would see as a golden age for the realm would be the tragedy for my family.

The end of a generation.

The robbing of a generation.

The end of the past.

The beginning of the future.

This is my ending to the tale, dear reader.

This is it.

This is the finale.

The great ending.

This is liberty.'

-Maester Maekar, Chapter VI of the White Queen

T H E R O Y A L F A M I L Y

T H E   R O Y A L   F A M I L Y