Chapter XIX

Act II of Devotion: Endurance
Chapter XIX: Long Live The New Age

‘Have you ever seen wildfire, reader? Of course, you haven’t. It’s quite common in King’s Landing, even as a prince, it was a marvel to foresee at court when Baric Dondarrion and his red priest from Myr light those swords of theirs with the vile thing. I despise it with my own heart, this vile thing. It was beautiful to see, aye.

But the damage it could cause, it would ruin you and everything completely. Rendering it to dust and nothingness in an instant. Not considerably beautiful now, right? My luck is unfortunate because I had known it here inside the Citadel too, where we study it and carefully learn to understand it.

Not like it’s my department though.

That’s me saying such a thing when that was the reason I earned a maester’s chain for one of my subjects.

Ironic.

But dear reader, as you read this, I could guess that you have never seen it. After all, people do tend to stay away from the league of those pyromancers knowing they could just be annoying bastards. But if you have seen it, then you have witness it’s captivating beauty inside a small bottle.

However, it would be different if you probably have never seen a mad king make use of it to be ‘reborn into a dragon’…to allow the flesh to become the ashes, from the very people he as king had sworn to serve and protect. All because of his pride, all because of his madness, all because of the wish to escape the fate he himself was about to have.

I assure you however, the white queen and the white knight had the unpleasant experience of seeing and knowing it.

The commands being screamed to the pyromancers, the king forcing his hand upon Leila Lannister as Jaime Lannister, her brother, sworn to protect the king, rushed with a blade coated in blood. Defiant and knowing of his broken vow, fearful for his sister’s life, he undertook what no man had to endure.

My mother and my uncle….
They undertook such fearful experiences with no means to escape it. With no power but haste and rightful choices.

And in the end, both of them…

Undertook the moment to the bitter end.

They knew that it was the beginning of the end.’

-Maester Maekar, Chapter V of the White Queen.