Sunlight

By fayesomermorgan

*This is not my story any shape or form, this story is one of my favourites fanfics from fanfiction.net but... More

Readers reviews
Chapter 1: Something Isn't Right
Chapter 2: Soul Meets Body
Chapter 3: New York, New York
Chapter 4: Big Jet Plane
Chapter 5: St Petersburg Part 1
Chapter 6: St Petersburg Part 2
Chapter 7: Take The A Train
Chapter 8: Oh Vienna Part 1
Chapter 9: Oh Vienna Part 2
Chapter 10: Oh Klaus' Vienna
Chapter 11: Viennese Waltz
Chapter 12: Good Morning To You
Chapter 13: Paris, Je T'Aime
Chapter 14: Fragile Heartbeats
Chapter 15: Fierce and Fragile
Chapter 16: Welcome Stranger
Chapter 17: Fun with the Mikaelsons
Chapter 18: La Bellezza al Ballo
Chapter 19: The Morning After
Chapter 20: Merry Klausmas
Chapter 21: What Are You Doing New Years Eve?
Chapter 22: New Adventures
Chapter 23: Road Tripping
Chapter 24: Lazy Days in Pakistan
Chapter 25: Awkward Driving
Chapter 26: Indian Wonders
Chapter 27: Family Matters
Chapter 28: Almost Home
Chapter 29: We Run This Town
Chapter 30: Bloody and Bruised (For You)
Chapter 31: Thoughtful Thinking
Chapter 32: Final Stand
Chapter 33: Breathless Preparations
Chapter 35: Merry Klausmas 2: Return of The Grinch

Chapter 34: Forever

2.2K 75 24
By fayesomermorgan

Caroline had been plucked, pummeled and powdered. She had been relaxed and prepped and yet nothing could contain the excitable jitters in her stomach. She paced back and forth in her old bedroom, knowing that when she walked out the door, she would be leaving her old life behind her. She ran her hands over the trinkets on her dressing table, smiling at the memories they brought. She gathered up some of the items she wanted to keep – the album the girls had made, the first teddy her parents had given her, Klaus' drawing. She had no idea where she would keep them, but she needed to keep them somehow.

A knock at the doorway made her spin around to see Bonnie and Elena, dressed in their pale aqua bridesmaid dresses. They smiled happily upon seeing Caroline.

"You two look amazing!" Caroline exclaimed, pleased at how the color had suited both of the girls. She had made a good call in choosing bridesmaid dresses of the same color but different cut. Plus she liked the idea that the pale aqua carried: the unity of stormy green of the sea and pale light blue of the sky. It suited her and Klaus to a t.

"Pshh, forget about us, you're gorgeous!" Elena waved off the compliment, coming over to hug her.

"You look beautiful, Care." Bonnie added, walking over to hug her as Elena fixed the veil that hung from Caroline's elaborately plaited hair so it draped properly across where her hair dropped into curls.

Caroline patted the beading on her dress, fidgeting with everything despite the fact that it was perfect.

"Its fine, Care." Bonnie clasped Caroline's hands in hers warmly.

Caroline exhaled slowly. "I know." She smiled at her two best friends before enveloping them both in a tight hug. "Thank you, both of you."

"We love you, Care." Elena murmured where she pressed against her shoulder.

"Which is why we're going to let you go before we wrinkle anyone's dress." Bonnie nodded, and they all broke apart with a laugh, smoothing down their dresses.

"Did you ever think it would end up like this?" Caroline asked them.

"Maybe not like this." Elena admitted. "But I'm happy that it is, cause its easy to see that you're happy."

"We all knew you'd be the first to get married out of all of us anyway." Bonnie smiled. "Each dance you planned was like a practice run of your wedding."

"True, but they rocked." Caroline shrugged, giggling with the girls.

"And I have every faith it will be the same now." Elena said, offering her hand to Caroline. "You ready?"

She took a deep breath. "Yeah. Lets go."

The three girls linked hands to walk out of her old bedroom for the last time.

Rebekah was waiting for her at the foot of the stairs, in another variation of Bonnie and Elena's dresses. Eva stood next to her in a soft chiffon navy dress, and Gwen was beside her in dark purple silk. Without meaning to, they had all managed to fit together. Caroline smiled at their reactions despite the fact that they had seen her get her make up and hair prepped only an hour previously.

Rebekah smiled sincerely, blinking a few times.

"Is that a tear I see, Beks?" Caroline teased, and the girl tried to frown.

"No. its just the light hitting the ridiculous amount of beading on your dress and stinging my eyes." Her words were not half as hurtful as they could have been because she irritably brushed at her eyes. "And its ruining my make up." She smiled and hugged Caroline. "You look fabulous, as I knew you would."

"She's right." Liz's voice sounded from behind Caroline, and she turned to see her mom with the proudest expression on her face. It brought tears to Caroline's eyes. All she had wanted to do was make her mother happy, and this was the best reaction she had ever received from her.

"Mommy," Caroline bit back her tears and hugged her mom tightly. Liz wasn't the type to cry, but she did look like she almost could have.

"You look beautiful, honey." She pulled back to kiss her daughters cheek. "I'm so proud."

"Thanks." Caroline half chuckled. "You look great too." She was fairly certain it was one of the few times she had seen her mom wear a dress, and Liz didn't look too out of place in the simple dark grey dress. Regardless, her mom wasn't used to the compliment, and she waved it off.

"We're going to be late if we stay any longer." Rebekah reminded them all, before opening the door. Caroline stepped out and gasped at what was parked out the front of her house. A horse drawn carriage. Of course.

"Don't look at me, this was all Nik." Rebekah said, before smiling. "Though I might have had a little bit to do with it."

They carefully climbed into the open top carriage, and the driver began the short trip through the streets. Caroline watched as Gwen and Bonnie chatted quietly – the two had hit it off and she knew that Gwen would be a big influence to bring Bonnie back to the light side of witchcraft. Rebekah and Elena were reminiscing about the trip to New York, intending on making a return trip together sometime. Eva made Liz feel comfortable with her charming small talk and polite questions. Life was fitting together somehow. Life was perfect.

And it was about to get even more so.

The carriage came to a stop out the front of the Mikaelson mansion, and the ladies climbed out just as carefully as they had climbed in, ensuring that their dresses didn't catch. Caroline laughed as they practically lifted her down from her perch to make sure nothing ripped or snagged.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." She assured them, and they all walked up the steps to the house. It was pandemonium in the hall, but Caroline still was entranced by the lanterns strung everywhere and the sheets of white chiffon draped down the banisters. It already looked magical, and it would look even more beautifully dark once the ceremony had finished and the reception began. Caroline caught her breath as the ceremony came back to the front of her mind, and she touched the engagement ring that now rested on her right ring finger, leaving her left ring finger bare and ready for the wedding band that was still hidden from her. She had agreed with Klaus to not disclose the rings to one another, both stating that they had creative meaning behind their decision that could wait till the day of the wedding.

Well, that day was now.

She tuned back in as she spotted Rebekah ranting at the poor florist who had arrived to place more fresh flowers in the space.

"Those flowers go in the back, as indicated by the floral chart that you had plenty of time to memorize." Rebekah exclaimed, and Caroline laid a calming hand on her shoulder.

"Can you please put these flowers in the back? If you can't remember where they are meant to go, I made a few spare copies of the charts that should be on the table by the front door." Caroline said sweetly to the flustered girl. She smiled gratefully at her, and nodded.

"Of course, miss. You look incredible."

"Thank you." Caroline smiled, before taking Rebekah by the shoulders as the girl left. "Its going to be fine."

"But the caterer is running behind and there are a couple of string light bulbs that have already blown, and – " Rebekah huffed, before shaking her head. "No. You're right. Its fine."

"Thanks, Beks."

"We're going to go see the groomsmen before the ceremony starts." Gwen interjected quietly, before slipping her arms around Caroline's waist and giving her a gentle hug. "You look amazing, as I'm sure everyone's already told you. Klaus is going to be the luckiest man alive today."

"And every day." Eva interjected with a smile to the witch before gripping Caroline's hand, her excitement only heightening Caroline's. "Nervous?"

"Gee, just a little, Eva, thanks." Caroline said sarcastically.

"You have no need to be." Eva assured her.

"But you already know that." Gwen added with a small smile.

"We'll go keep Klaus in line. His stress levels are going to be high today, and it'd be nice if no one died." Eva joked, squeezing Caroline's hand reassuringly one last time before she and Gwen walked through the halls towards the garden.

"Bouquets are here." Elena piped up, passing the smaller bunch of cream roses to Rebekah and the large arrangement of cream and pale pink roses to Caroline.

"Its time to start moving towards the aisle." Bonnie reminded them quietly, and Caroline felt a sudden wave of nerves sweep down her arms and legs, twisting her stomach into knots.

"Care? Here, let me fix your veil again." Elena said, eyeing the blonde knowingly while she took her hand and led her over to one of the mirrors in the hall.

"Something wrong?" She asked Caroline quietly, knowing that this was as private a conversation as they could have right now.

"I'm fine." Caroline lied, and sighed as Elena gave her a knowing look. "I'm just suddenly very aware of the fact that I'm going to be walking down an aisle in front of everyone I know very soon."

"Everyone supports your decision, Care." Elena assured her. "I support your decision."

"Really? He did awful things, 'Lena." Caroline said, her brow wrinkling with worry.

Elena smoothed the lines with her thumbs. "And we did awful things too, Care. No one's completely in the right anymore. I don't know if I can forget what happened. But I can forgive him for some things. Because he makes you happy, Care. Its why we're all here. It's the best reason for it too." Elena smiled, straightening the veil again. "Got it?"

"Got it." Caroline said, her stomach still in knots. "I don't deserve you."

"Hey," Elena frowned. "I don't want to hear you say that again, promise?"

"Promise."

"Love you, Care."

"Love you too, 'Lena."

The pair walked over to where they were waiting by the doors to start the walk down the aisle. Caroline stood with her hands linked to Bonnie and Elena's until the Mikaelson brothers in suits and matching pale aqua ties appeared from the double doors.

"Wow,"

"You are a vision, Miss Forbes."

"Thank you, Elijah." Caroline smiled, but the appearance of her two soon to be brother-in-laws made her nerves grow. "And I'll take that as a compliment, Kol."

"You should." The younger Mikaelson brother grinned.

"How's Nik doing?" Caroline asked, her brow wrinkling again. This time, Bonnie was the one to touch it so she stopped.

"He's doing just the same as you." Kol said honestly. "Flying high as a kite and then worrying."

"He'll be at ease the sooner he sees you." Elijah assured her.

Stefan popped through the doors. "Everyone ready?"

"Almost." Elijah nodded, before offering his arm to Elena. She smiled one last time at Caroline before letting go to walk with the charming Original.

"My lady." Kol said dramatically to Bonnie, who rolled her eyes with a smile to Caroline before taking Kol's arm.

"You're beautiful, Caroline." Stefan beamed at her, and she smiled at her old friend, enveloping herself into his arms for a much needed hug. "Everything okay?" He murmured, careful to ensure that her veil didn't crinkle under his touch.

"Caro-pop?" Rebekah asked her quietly, and she clutched onto the Original Blonde's arm.

"I need a moment."

Rebekah watched her face with wide eyes, nodding and moving the bride over to one of the nearby armchairs dotted around the main hall.

"Beks, I'm so scared right now, and I don't know why." Caroline confessed in an undertone.

"I can't blame you. You're marrying my brother. This is the man who terrorized your friends, who has been cruel to every member of his family at least once during his existence. He's never been a good man, Caroline." Rebekah waited until Caroline's eyes met hers before she continued. "But he wants to be one for you. And he tries so hard to do that for you. He has become the man we all knew him to be under the surface – stubborn, irritable, and conceited, but also caring and loyal – and that's all thanks to you. You bring out the best in him, and I know that's scary because it also means you have to face the worst in him, but isn't it worth it?"

"It is." Caroline exhaled, her stomach losing some of its nervous tension. "You're right."

"I know I am." Rebekah smirked, returning back to her older ways now the crisis was averted. "And besides, then we'll be real sisters. It'll be nice to have a girl in this insane family."

Caroline laughed, and hugged her. "Thank you."

"Ready, honey?" Liz asked, waiting a polite distance away from the two girls. Caroline nodded, settling her dress one last time before standing up and joining her mother for the long walk down the aisle.

.

Klaus hadn't anticipated this.

He had been fine. He had been happy. It was a welcome idea, marrying Caroline and ensuring that she would be by his side forever, his queen as he ruled the world. And yet he didn't anticipate the sudden burst of nervous energy in his stomach as the small gathering of people who knew Caroline and the very few invited guests from his side all sat down in their seats. It only grew as Kol and Elijah left him to go take the bridesmaids down the aisle.

"You alright, Klaus?" Stefan, his best man, asked him.

"Fine, mate." Klaus replied stiffly.

"You sure? Cause you look like you're about to break something." Stefan said, a hint of worry in his tone.

Klaus shot him a deadly look. "I am fine." He said darkly, his very tone indicating that he was not actually fine at all.

"Caroline will be coming down the aisle in less than five minutes. Everything will be okay."

"I'm well aware of that, thank you very much." Klaus snapped, before inhaling slowly and exhaling with even more languorous breath. "I apologize."

"I understand." Stefan said, the wordless acknowledgement passing easily between them. Klaus was wrapped around Caroline's finger, completely at her mercy, and it was a petrifying thought for any man. Especially one who relied on his power and fearsome strength to get by.

"Just remember that you are a king." Stefan murmured encouragingly, before warmly clapping Klaus once on his shoulder and leaving to collect Rebekah to walk down the aisle.

Klaus was left infinitely and utterly alone.

But he knew it wouldn't be for long.

For his queen was on her way to see him, and she would never leave his side again.

The sun shone down warmly on the ceremony. The guests could admire the expanse of the green grass and blooming gardens, yet they all alternated between watching Klaus and watching the double doors that led from the mansion out to the garden. The justice of the peace, for the pair had agreed that anyone from the church just went against who they were now, stood nearby.

Finally, the doors opened. The wedding party made their way down the grassy aisle.

First came Elena and Elijah, walking in sync down the aisle. Klaus felt a smile grow at the sight of his brother with the doppelganger in such an idealistic scene. Elijah shared a small smile with Elena before they parted ways at the end of the aisle, Elijah going to stand on Klaus' side.

Next came Bonnie and Kol, with the former holding back laughter at a comment the latter had made. They nodded to each other as they parted ways, and Klaus caught sight of Kol winking at Eva sitting with the guests when he came to stand beside his brother.

Finally Stefan and Rebekah walked down the aisle, the best man and the maid of honor. Despite their attempts to keep the focus on the guests, the pair still managed to share a small, secret smile with each other no less than six times before they stood on opposite sides of the aisle.

Klaus didn't know if they continued to do so, for he only had eyes for the woman who followed them.

Caroline walked down the aisle with Liz in place of her father. And she was truly a vision. A gift from heaven. He knew the dress would suit her well with its elegant strapless cut, the dress clinging to her every curve before fanning out above her knees to allow her enough ease of movement, and he knew she would be attracted to the detail and elaborate beading. He never could have predicted quite how mesmerizing she would look in the dress, however, and he was happy to have his expectations completely exceeded. He noted with pride the necklace she wore, the bead bracelet she had on one hand and the diamond bracelet she wore on the other – all gifts he had given her. He met her light blue gaze that hid beneath her thin veil, and he was lost and found all in the one breath. Klaus smiled so brightly at her.

Caroline returned it, suddenly giddy with happiness. Klaus looked impossibly dapper, dressed in a tux similar to the one he had worn at the Mikaelson's ball over a year ago. Everything from the deep dark black of his jacket to the different white tie, from his dimpled smile verging on a smirk to his burning gaze, it all sang out to Caroline in a way that was dangerous and dark and yet completely all for her. And all good for her. He was good for her. He was the only one for her. No other.

Caroline turned to her mother at the end of the aisle, kissing her cheek through the almost transparent veil, before Liz placed her hand into Klaus' outstretched palm and joined Eva and Gwen in the front row.

The congregation sat down and the justice of the peace began the ceremony. It was all a slight blur as Klaus and Caroline gazed at each other, caught up in a moment that they knew would last forever.

Finally it came time for the vows.

"I, Caroline Forbes, take you, Niklaus Mikaelson, to be my lawful husband. I love you for yourself. I promise to give you the best of myself. I choose you above all others. to share my life with me in marriage, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for as long as we both shall live."

"I, Niklaus Mikaelson, take you, Caroline Forbes, to be my lawful wife. I love you for yourself. I promise to give you the best of myself. I choose you above all others. to share my life with me in marriage, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for as long as we both shall live."

"Do you have the rings?"

Stefan and Rebekah stepped forth to present the couple with the rings. Caroline went first, slipping a dark ring streaked with thin veins of gold onto Klaus' left ring finger.

"With this ring, I thee wed."

Klaus carefully placed a ring on Caroline's finger that made her gasp. It was his daylight ring, the ring that he had worn for over a thousand years, resized for her small ring finger.

"With this ring, I thee wed."

"Niklaus and Caroline have declared their love and commitment to each other by the giving and receiving of the rings. In the sight of this congregation you have vowed to remain together till the end of your days. By the witness of these people, and by the power vested in me by the state of Virginia, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss."

Klaus drew Caroline tenderly towards him, lifting the thin veil that lay between them and tilting her head up to meet his in a kiss so sweetly adoring that it took her breath away. She broke the kiss and looked up at him for a long moment before smiling and kissing him again, fiercely, her hands tugging slightly at the lapels of his jacket. The guests cheered.

.

After the long reception line as the guests congratulated the newly wed couple,the wedding party had their photos taken and made their way inside, where the ballroom of the mansion had been transformed into an elegant dining area lit by bright candlelight and lanterns. While the party broke off into conversations, Klaus and Caroline finally got a moment alone in the hall before they were announced into the room.

"I love you,"

"I love you,"

They grinned wordlessly at one another before Caroline held up her left hand.

"I cannot believe you gave me your daylight ring!"

"I remembered how much you appreciate sentiment." Klaus smiled at her. "And I like the idea of giving you something that aided my existence for so long, for without that, I might not have lived to meet you. And now it can be a little reminder of how I will protect you forever."

Caroline held him close, words not being enough to describe her emotions.

"May I ask for the thought behind my ring?" Klaus enquired.

"I'll allow you to take it off just this once." Caroline smiled, wiping away the tears that had sprung to her eyes. Klaus wiped away one she had missed, kissing her cheek dry too before slipping off his ring.

"The outside represents your soul, and the inside represents what you only show to me." Caroline explained.

Klaus noted the faint lines of gold that streaked across the dark metal of the ring. The inside was a brighter gold color, gleaming even in the faint light.

"Read the inscription." She said quietly.

His sharp eyes picked it out instantly. Forever. So simple. And yet that, combined with what she truly thought of his gold soul, set a lump in his throat that made it hard for him to swallow. He looked upwards, away from Caroline for just a moment, not wanting her to see him affected like this. But her hands against his stubbled cheeks made him meet her gaze again, and he saw how grateful she was to draw the emotions from him, and how she appreciated him not turning away from her, showing her his full self.

"I love you," She murmured.

"You are everything to me." Klaus answered, for nothing he could ever say would effectively convey the full-hearted love he felt for this one girl, and he knew he would try every day until their last days together to show her just how much she consumed him.

They kissed, their emotions being conveyed through their actions for a moment, until the call came.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present for the first time, Mr and Mrs Mikaelson."

The two walked out hand in hand to the applause of the party and took their place in the centre of the floor for their first dance.

You, you, you, you

Klaus spun her out before bringing her back to hold her close against his body, swaying them in time to the slow music.

You send me
Darling you send me
I know you send me
Honest you do

Caroline closed her eyes, her fingers weaving and interlocking with Klaus', never to part. He rested their entwined hands above his heart, knowing just how much she enjoyed his steady heart beat under her hand, a reminder of the one piece of humanity reserved solely for her.

At first I thought it was infatuation
But its lasted so long
And now I find myself wanting
To marry you, and take you home

Caroline placed her head on Klaus' shoulder, resting her lips against his neck to feel his pulse and his breath right under her skin and his. His fingers stroked the curls that fell down her back from her half plaited hairstyle, brushing against the edge of her dress as he did so.

You thrill me
I know you thrill me
Darling you thrill me
Honest you do

Klaus' hand tugged lightly on the ends of her hair, and Caroline opened her eyes and lifted her head to look at him as they slowly spun across the floor under the affectionate gaze of the people they knew. It was all still a blur to them. It didn't matter. All that mattered was them, the connection that could never be broken between them, the love that bound them and the fire that would never be lost or tamed.

At first I thought it was infatuation
But its lasted so long
Now I find myself wanting
To marry you and take you home
You send me
Darling you send me
I know you send me
Honest you do
Honest you do

Klaus dipped Caroline as the last notes echoed through the room, and she pressed her lips lightly against his before beaming as they returned to a standing position.

"Lets here it for the happy couple!" Kol announced, leading the applause. He handed the microphone to Caroline, who with Klaus by her side, cleared her throat.

"We just wanted to take this opportunity before you take advantage of the open bar to thank you all for being here today." She laughed lightly along with the guests. "Its been a wild journey to get here, and I have no doubt that it will be even wilder from here onwards, so I would like to thank everyone who has stuck with us for the adventure. Hope to see you for many years to come."

"In particular, I'd like to acknowledge the sacrifice of our families." Klaus added sincerely. "Liz, you have graced this earth with the most incredible woman I know, and I'd like to thank you for allowing me to know her. As to Caroline's close friends, I want to thank you for your understanding and acceptance. It means the world to Caroline, and it means even more to me." H nodded at the Mystic Falls crew respectfully before turning to his family. "Finally, I would like to thank my family for welcoming Caroline with open arms, and encouraging me to love, despite all the odds."

Caroline bit back a laugh and pressed closer against his side, handing him a glass of champagne to finish the toast.

"Cheers." They said in unison, raising their glasses to their guests.

"Now please everyone enjoy the delicious meal. There's plenty more in store after dinner." Bonnie announced, allowing the noise of polite chit chat to fill the room once more as she turned to Caroline.

"You're impossibly sweet." She shook her head with a smile, embracing her and sparing a careful thankful smile for Klaus before leading the pair over to the table.

In between countless courses of delicacies, it seemed as if everyone they knew had a few words to say in a toast to the newlyweds.

"I don't know what to say." Kol chuckled. "Aside from the fact that I still don't understand how my brother – my irritating, infuriating, inconsiderate brother – ended up with Caroline – one of the kindest, sweetest, loveliest people I know. Not to mention that she's out of his league. Actually, darling, why are you with my brother?" He paused as the guests laughed, and Caroline coaxed a smile out of Klaus. Kol spotted it instantly and pointed it out. "See? That's why. Because your kindness brings out his better temper. Your care brings out his care. And your light moderates some of his darkness. Just some," He emphasized, before smiling at them. "But its enough. And when a pair works like that, well, why wouldn't you want to give it your best shot in the chance that you might end up as ridiculously happy as you both are today?" Kol's eyes flitted over to Eva for a beat and they shared a heart-stopping smile before he raised his glass. "To the ridiculously happy couple."

"I've known Care since we were five." Bonnie began. "She was the one in the sandbox bossing people around, but delegating the toys so everyone got a turn with the cool shovel. Not much has changed since then." She smiled. "Now, on the other hand, when I met Klaus...it wasn't quite as, well, picturesque. But plenty has changed since then." She addressed the guests, her gaze zeroing in on Jeremy for a moment as she reflected on her words. "I never would have guessed that you two would hit it off, or that we would end up where we are today." She looked back at Klaus and Caroline, sitting together with their hands linked like they would never let go. "But just one look at you, Care, and how much you are glowing right now, and I wonder how this didn't happen sooner. Either way, I'm glad it did." Bonnie kept her eyes locked on Caroline's. "I'm glad it did."

"Caroline, ever since you came into the world, I knew you were trouble." Liz began. "I've watched you grow into the strong, smart, beautiful woman that I knew you would be from the moment you were born. And it's a very bittersweet thing for me to experience, witnessing you finally become a woman and a wife and seeing you pass from my care to Klaus' care. But at the same time, I know that he will love you unconditionally. Klaus, I have given you my one and only daughter, and I ask that you take care of her. I also advise you that I am a sheriff, and I know how to use a gun." The guests laughed, and Klaus smiled, but nodded to Liz, conveying his message perfectly. He would protect Caroline with his life, and she knew that. "Care, honey, I am so glad that I am here to see this day. And I know that your father is here to see it too." Caroline bit her lip, and Bonnie on her other side gripped her hand to show her that indeed, Bill Forbes stood beside Liz on the small stage. "And I want to wish you all the happiness in the world from both of us."

"Klaus and I met a long time ago." Stefan said with a small smirk, skimming over the truth for the sake of the oblivious humans in the audience from Mystic Falls and Caroline's family tree. "But at times I swear it only feels like I just remembered it yesterday. He was harsh, dark, but still a king. And yet I knew he needed something. Turns out, all he needed was a queen. And he has found one in Caroline. I've only been friends with Care for a little while in comparison to my time spent with Klaus, but I know that she is confident, loyal, graceful, a true queen. And all she needed was a man to prove himself worthy enough to be her king. Its clear that they bring out the best in each other, and at times the worst." He smiled along with the crowd. "But one thing is for sure. The respect and care they show for one another is unparalleled, and I believe truly that Caroline is the best possible person for Klaus, and Klaus is the best possible person for Caroline."

"Care, you have always been there for me through thick and thin." Elena stated with a smile. "I remember back in the day when you and I used to complain and cry about boys in the fifth grade while eating our way through tubs of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and swearing that one day we would find them and marry them and our lives would be forever happy." The guests laughed, and Elena smiled with them. "Sadly we didn't find Ben or Jerry. But you found Klaus. He may not be the man I predicted you'd marry – because he doesn't own a delicious ice cream company for one thing – but he will give you more love than any dairy product will. Sometimes I don't even believe that fact for myself, but then I look around," Her eyes locked on Stefan, remembering his ripper days, and then Damon, remembering all the terrible things he did when he came to Mystic Falls. Her gaze returned to the couple. "and I see how our expectations aren't always what we thought them to be, and sometimes they're better. And I look at you two, and I see happiness, devotion, love." She smiled. "Even though you and I didn't find Ben and Jerry, I know that your life with Klaus will be forever happy."

"Ahh, where to begin." Rebekah sighed. "My dear brother Niklaus is a man of many faces. He is creative, passionate, temperamental, and for a very, very long time, loyal to his priorities that were ever changing. And then he met the lovely Caroline, and something changed. She became one of his priorities, and remained at the top despite everything that fate threw in their path. Now, being the complete egg head he is, he didn't notice this for a while," She teased, making a face at the look Klaus sent her way. "But once he did, it was easy to see how he let it change him. He let Caroline change him. And I can only assume its because he finally understood just how light she is. Caroline, you are a gift from the heaven I now know exists, and while I'll never understand what my charming brother has done to deserve a creature like you, I'm glad he is worthy, for it has brought him back into our lives, and you with him. I wish you both every eternal happiness."

"Despite what many could tell you, my brother Niklaus is the most loyal, compassionate, trustworthy men I know." Elijah said. "The reason for the confusion behind what others might think of this is that he only shows his true self to those who matter most to him. And the lovely Miss Caroline Forbes – forgive me – Mrs Caroline Mikaelson is clearly the person who matters the most to him. And for that, I know that she will always be protected and cherished. Caroline, you are his redemption, and we have spent what feels like countless lifetimes searching for you. Niklaus did not believe he would ever find such a celestial being for quite some time, and it led to his disbelief in family. Well, while I most likely do not need to remind you of this today of all days, brother, I will tell you again. Family is power. Love, loyalty, is power. We are the Mikaelson family, the one and only, the originals. The Original family. And we remain together, always and forever. Welcome to our family, Caroline."

.
The band started up music to dance again, and everything kicked into another gear. Caroline found herself in a whirl on the dance floor as Jeremy was with Kol who was dancing next to Matt who spun Rebekah, who was laughing with Bonnie and Elena. Stefan and Elijah stood with them, with matching broody looks, but still smiled slightly. Damon bumped hips next to Eva who managed to coax a couple of laughs from Gwen, and Caroline and Klaus was in the middle of it all, unbelievably happy with the moment that had managed to bring everyone together. They may hate one another at times, but just for this moment, everything was perfect.

Say yeah, lets be alone together
We can stay young forever
Scream it from the top of your lungs
Say yeah, lets be alone together
We can stay young forever
We can stay young, young, young, young

As the music slowed down, Klaus left Caroline with a lingering kiss before Elijah took Caroline's hand for one of the traditional dances with the bride.

"Did you enjoy the ceremony?" Caroline asked.

"Quite. In truth, I still can't believe this has happened." Elijah admitted as he led her elegantly through the other couples dancing. His hold kept her at an honorable distance that made her smile grow even wider. "I never thought I would see the day that my brother was not only happy, not only in love, but getting married." He looked her straight in the eyes and smiled. "I am glad to say that I was wrong in that assumption."

"Thank you."

"Do you feel as though you are officially part of our twisted little family tree?"
"Oh, Elijah," Caroline shook her head with a smile. "I've felt as if I was part of the family long before this day. I hope you know that."

Elijah smiled, breaking his composure for one second as he looked down at his shoes bashfully. "I am glad to hear that." He lifted his face once he had controlled his expression again, and studied her. "I do appreciate that you also have not lost that sunshine smile of yours for the whole night."

The smile Elijah spoke of grew on Caroline's face. "I can't stop smiling."

"And indeed why should you?" Elijah said softly, smiling fondly down at his new sister. He spun her once before the music came to an end and he nodded to her.

"Thank you, Caroline."

"Thank you, Elijah."

He glanced at someone over Caroline's shoulder. "If you will excuse me, I believe I must dance with Gwen, and you must dance with your other new brother." He smiled at her before spinning her once more as Kol took his place seamlessly.

"Good evening, darling sister." He grinned at her, and she laughed.

"I don't think I'm going to ever get over you saying that."

"I don't think I'm going to ever get over saying it." Kol replied. "Its crazy that my brother married anyone, let alone someone as nice as you."

"I get the feeling that you're all going to keep saying that too." Caroline joked, gasping and laughing as Kol led her through a series of twisting spins and twirls.

"Where did you learn to dance like that?" She asked.

"A century in a box doesn't necessarily equal poor dancing skills, darling." Kol chuckled. "Though I'm sure my brother has picked up more moves than I have over the years."

"I doubt it." Caroline scoffed, not being able to believe that Klaus could move in any way livelier than a waltz. He may have been around for the swinging sixties, but he didn't seem like quite the dancer. She smiled at the words, remembering the ball over a year ago.

"What are you smirking at?" Kol asked.

Caroline came back to the present and shook her head. "Just at how its funny how things work out."

"Like you falling into the trap of being stuck with Nik for all eternity?" Kol nodded, teasing, and Caroline lightly punched his arm with a blow that would severely bruise a human.

"I kid." Kol said fondly. "I look forward to the rest of time with you and my brother. You do make him far more bearable."

"Aw, thank you." Caroline said sassily. "Eva does the same for you."

"Isn't she a gem?" Kol replied with the same sass, but there was a warmth in his voice, and she noticed his gaze wander to wherever the honey blonde may be.

"She is." Caroline agreed. "You had better take care of her."

Kol returned his eyes to hers in a rare moment of sincerity. "Oh, make no mistake, Caroline. I intend to."

"I'm glad to hear that." She smiled, laughing as he grinned and spun her fast again.

Caroline danced with Damon, Matt, and a quick rotation with Jeremy before she had a chance to catch her breath on the edge of the dance floor. Klaus was making the same rounds himself, having danced with Elena, Bonnie, Gwen, Rebekah, and even Liz. He was currently elegantly leading Eva around the floor, and Caroline could see her reserved expression from across the room, though Klaus had managed to almost bring a smile to the surface, as he was clearly in high spirits.

She watched the guests twirl around with their partners on the floor, and frowned as she realized that a familiar sleek blonde head was missing. Sure enough, after a scan of the room, Caroline spied Rebekah leaving the ballroom to follow a rugged-looking blonde man out to the gardens. Something about Rebekah's light step and the way she shared a glance with the man told Caroline that the mystery gatecrasher was Vaughn. She moved around the edge of the dance floor to see if she could follow them, but became side tracked as she spied Stefan leaning against the back of one of the chairs, his brooding expression stuck on his face.

Caroline sighed comically and leaned against a chair next to him.

"No one likes a wallflower."

Stefan glanced sideways at her with a hint of a smile. "Especially if it's the bride at her own wedding. How come you aren't dancing?"

"I was going to ask you the same question." Caroline said. "Any reason why you aren't out there?"

"You know me, Care." Stefan replied. "Unfortunately I have this little problem...when I party too hard, I end up killing people."

"Well I as your self appointed sober coach am going to keep an eye out for you, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun." Caroline nodded. "I mean, come on. You are the best man at a wedding, and you're sorta single, and you're, well, you." She bumped her hip against his teasingly, and Stefan smiled.

"Am I just meant to grab the prettiest girl in the room and take her out on the dance floor for a twirl."

"Naturally." Caroline agreed.

He tilted his head, considering the crowd, before nodding. "Okay." Stefan suddenly grabbed Caroline by the waist, spinning her as she giggled.

"I didn't mean me!"

Stefan set her down amidst the dancing crowd.

"Well you are clearly the prettiest girl in the room, being the bride and all." Stefan grinned, and she rolled her eyes at him with a stunning smile.

"Thank you, best man."

Stefan offered her his hand, and she took it with a smile, swaying with him to a lively beat.

"I see you found a dress?" Stefan smiled. Caroline looked at him questioningly, and he elaborated. "Rebekah told me about your many shopping excursions."

"Well then yes, I did find a dress. In fact, Klaus found it technically."

"Let me guess, you asked for his help?"

"Maybe."

Stefan grinned. "You know you have him wrapped around your little finger, right?"

Caroline blushed slightly. "Hopefully no one else can see that."

"Oh, I'm sure that no one else can see it." Stefan assured her, leaning in slightly so they danced cheek to cheek. "That is, until they see how he looks at you."

"You're teasing." Caroline smiled.

"I might be, but its true." Stefan said. "Even as we speak, he's looking over here with that calculating look. Its easy to see that he wants to get you back in his arms as soon as possible."

Caroline chuckled. "Then maybe I should dance a little longer with you."

Stefan laughed, but Caroline could feel his chest heave a heavy sigh right after. "Its easy to see just how in love the two of you are."

"You say that with just a hint of regret, Stefan. Want to tell me what's going on in that pretty head of yours?"

"I thought that what I had with Elena was real, but its easy to see that the whole ordeal is affecting me a lot more than its affecting her. And I've tried to move on, but I can't seem to shake her."

Caroline pressed her chin against Stefan's shoulder, rubbing his back comfortingly. "That's normal. You were in love, and that doesn't go away just because you declare that you're moving on. And launching into something with Beks isn't going to make any other feelings go away."

"Well then what do you suggest I do?"

Caroline sighed, contemplating. "I don't know. I think that someday, you'll be talking to someone, and you'll just fall madly in love, and you'll have moved on without even realizing it."

They swayed for a few beats before Stefan chuckled. "That sounds a lot like you and Klaus."

"It happened once with you and Elena. Is it so crazy to think that it could happen again?"

"With her?"

"With anyone."

Stefan pulled back to study her face. "You really believe that?"

Caroline scoffed. "Come on, Stefan, you're you. You remember way back when I first met you? You had every girl at school falling at your feet, myself included."

"And now look. You've moved on and fallen for Klaus."

"And you see how happy I am?"

Stefan smiled, a slight reflection of the beam of joy that hadn't fully left Caroline's face the whole day. "You'd have to be blind to miss how happy you are."

"Mind if I cut in, mate?" Klaus' smooth accent made them both turn to see the hybrid smiling wickedly at the pair of them.

"Of course not." Stefan grinned at them both.

"Just remember what I told you." Caroline said, hugging him tightly before turning her full attention back to Klaus. Stefan turned, twirling a girl from the crowd into his arms smoothly as he returned to the guests.

The newlyweds were in their own little world again.

Klaus spun Caroline back into his arms, and she sighed happily, pressed against his chest.

"Can I just not leave your arms for the rest of the night?"

"You can stay in my arms forever if you'd like." Klaus smirked.

"You know I would." Caroline smiled up at him.

"Are you happy, Mrs Mikaelson?"

"Everything about you makes me happy, Mr Mikaelson." She chuckled. "I'm never going to get used to you calling me that. But I love it."

"I love you." Klaus said for the thousandth time that day, and he knew he still hadn't said it enough.

"I love you." Caroline murmured, reaching up to kiss him. They broke away to smile softly at each other, and he spun them in slow circles as the music changed again.

We'll do it all
Everything
On our own
We don't need
Anything
Or anyone

"Do you remember what I said on the night of your eighteenth birthday?" Klaus asked her softly.

"Of course." She replied quietly. "But I want to hear it from you again."

He smiled at her, leaning in to brush his lips against her ear as they danced. "I'll let you in on a little secret, angel. There's a whole world out there waiting for you. Great cities, and art, and music. Genuine beauty. And you can have all of it."

Klaus smirked as he felt a shiver run through her entire body where it swayed temptingly against his.

"Well, you have travelled with me. You've seen some of the worlds art and music. And I hope you know that you are a vision of genuine beauty every day, especially today. And you can have all of the world, but most of all you can have all of me, forever."

"Forever?" Caroline asked breathlessly.

"Forever." Klaus repeated.

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?
Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life
All that I am
All that I ever was
Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see

As the song came to a close, the couple made the last few rounds to talk to the guests. All too soon, the cake was cut, and the final song was announced and played. Caroline and Klaus ended the night in a similar way to how it had begun, surrounded as the music surged around them.

Let us die young or let us live forever

Rebekah nestled into Stefan's side, and despite the two of them being pulled in opposite directions by their hearts, they found comfort and happiness in each other. Only time would tell what would happen there, but Caroline was happy to see that they continued to smile that secret smile at one another

Don't have the power, but we never say never

Eva stood with her arms around Kol and Bonnie. Bonnie in turn clasped Jeremy's hand. Gwen stood next to Jeremy while Elijah smiled down at her.

Why don't we stay young?

Elena and Damon were pressed together. Only time would tell what would happen there also, but Caroline could see that Damon had truly cared for Elena for longer than he admitted, and Elena was drawn to him in ways she couldn't explain. And that was certainly something Caroline could relate to.

Youth is like diamonds in the sun, and diamonds are forever

Klaus and Caroline stood in the midst of it all, happy with their decision of forever.

Forever young, I wanna be forever young
Do you really want to live forever
Forever, forever

Caroline made a quick change into a gorgeous dark gold dress with mesh back paneling before she and Klaus made their departure. She had absolutely no idea where they were going for the honeymoon, but she was happy to be going anywhere with him. And despite her love for her home town, she was happy to leave Mystic Falls again. She wanted to see the world, to experience it with her husband. She grinned at just the thought, and clasped Klaus' hand, waving to her family and friends as they drove away.

Klaus brushed a kiss against her temple. "I've already booked everything for our next destination, but I had a feeling that you would want control again." He grinned at her and she nodded.

"That's right." She agreed.

"So after our first stop, where do you want to go next, love?" Klaus asked.

"I want to go everywhere." Caroline smiled. "Literally every single destination, every inch of this Earth. And I want to go everywhere with you. Forever."

Klaus shared her smile. "Forever."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.8K 89 17
what if kazuma was abused as a child and after transferring to the other world the girls unknowingly abused him? fine out here (warning contains, abu...
111K 2.9K 35
Starting from season 4 episode 13 we see an AU where the story changes completely with an act of kindness from Caroline to Klaus. Caroline had set ou...
137K 4.1K 100
*Read the Auction first* It's the start of a new era, not only for the Mikaelsons but also for New Orleans. It's been 6 months since Niklaus Mikaelso...
1.1M 48.9K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC