Tears of Avalon

By erincasey09

Ilyia has spent her entire life living far away from her fairy brethren. This doesn't stop her from finding h... More

Chapter 1: Waterfall Mischief
Chapter 3: Tears of Avalon
Chapter 4: Tavern and Tricksters
Chapter 5: A Mother's Love
Chapter 6: A Clash of Hearts
Chapter 7: Three Brothers
Chapter 8: The City of Trees
Chapter 9: Stalking Shadows

Chapter 2: The Stranger

75 17 45
By erincasey09

The cry of pain sounded again as Ilyia and her mother ran towards where it was coming from. Ilyia was nervous, but she couldn't deny the excitement that filled her either. It was the first time her mother had allowed Ilyia to follow her on a rescue mission instead of sending her home. She reached down and undid her strip of belt, which could serve as a slingshot as well. She held it in one hand and the dagger in the other.

As they came upon the scene, Ilyia staggered back with a gasp of surprise.

A giant raven slashed his vicious talons at a white-haired fairy. The fairy, dressed in gold and brown, fought valiantly to keep the avian off of him, but Ilyia could see blood flowing down his right shoulder. He blocked a peck with his sword while he danced around a broken spear at his feet.

Her mother hissed something under her breath. A water orb started to build around her fingers and spread until it turned into a liquid whip. Ilyia had seen her mother fight before, but she wasn't the strongest in battle. She was more of a defensive fighter, though the watery whip would suggest otherwise.

"Ilyia, stay-"

"I know, I know, stay behind you," Ilyia grumbled. She crouched down and ran her hands along the earth until she found a smooth stone.

Her mother spun the whip then lashed out, sending a wave of water at the bird. Part of it struck the beast in the eye.

The raven squawked in surprise and pain, giving the other fairy a chance to slash him across the breast feathers. The bird hopped back a step.

Ilyia watched then tilted her head when she noticed a sudden glint on his neck. It was hard to make out, but she thought she saw a silver cord with a green gem in his feathers.

"Stay back!" the other fairy shouted at them.

The raven flared his wings and knocked the man through the air. He crashed to the ground and rolled, his yellow wings bending underneath the weight of his body.

Her mother dashed forward, putting herself between the fallen fairy and the raven. She struck with another water tendril.

Ilyia stuck a stone in her sling and started to swing it around.

The man huffed as he pushed himself up. "What did I tell you?" he rasped at her mother. "You don't understand-"

"I know what that gem means," her mother hissed back. "Now help me destroy it."

Ilyia had no idea what they were talking about, but the raven was about to rip them apart with his talons. She waited until the last second, when the bird was inches away, before she stepped forward and released the stone.

The raven bowed his head.

The rock clanked hard against the side of his skull. He staggered sideways and fell with a pained sound.

As one, her mother and the man turned to stare at her.

Ilyia shrugged then shouted. "Look out!"

The raven surged forward, but instead of attacking the two fairies, he flapped into the sky. His talons brushed so close over her mother's head, Ilyia couldn't help by cry out in fright. But the bird just flew off, leaving all three panting and staring after him.

A moment later, the new fairy fell to his knees. He clutched his shoulder, his sword thumping to the earth beside him.

Ilyia rushed forward. Before she could get to him, her mother caught her arm. Ilyia tried to struggle free. "I have to help."

"I know."

"Then let me go to him!"

"Ilyia," her mother said in a hushed voice. She swung Ilyia around and held her firmly in front of her. "He can't know what you can do." She pulled a small vial from a pouch on her belt and held it out. "Place your tear in here."

Ilyia wrinkled her nose. What was so wrong aboyt using her power to heal someone? Every fairy had magic. Hers was a little different since it came from her eyes instead of her hands, but what did it matter? "But, Mother..."

"If you want to help him, then give me your tear."

Ilyia snatched the vial away. She pressed the opening to her cheek and focused. It wasn't hard to make a tear come. All she had to do was think about something sad, or how she had almost died in the water.

A milky-white tear flowed down her cheek and slipped into the bottle. Ilyia blinked a few times then handed it to her mother. "Here."

"Thank you," she replied, and Ilyia could hear the softness in her tone. "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to belittle you. I'll explain one day."

"I hope you will," Ilyia muttered.

Her mother carried the vial over to the man and knelt down. Ilyia decided it was best to stay back, but she leaned forward so she could hear them.

"Thank you for your assistance," the fairy murmured weakly. "I thought I was done for."

"It's fortunate I heard you," her mother replied. She held out the vial. "May I? I've learned to craft healing potions with my water magic. I can help relieve your pain."

He glanced at his shoulder, chuckling. "I don't know how much good it will do, but thank you." With a grimace, he pulled down the sleeve of his tunic. "My name is Taren."

"Elpis," her mother replied. She poured the tear slowly onto his shoulder. The magic was instant. One moment there was a gaping hole in his flesh. The next, the skin was healed, leaving behind a line of blood, the only sign he'd been injured.

Taren looked at it in shock. "By the Goddess...where did you learn such magic? With a healing elixir like that, our army could stand up against Lord Merwellian."

Ilyia frowned. Army? Lord Merwellian? What was he talking about?

Her mother stiffened and shook her head. "I'm sorry. That was the last of my supply. I can't offer any more."

"What?" Taren asked. "Then come with me and make more near the battlefield! Your magic could mean the difference between victory and defeat!"

Her mother pushed herself to her feet firmly. "Your battle is not mine. I have my own to look after." She gestured to Ilyia.

Taren glanced over at Ilyia then back with a frown. "Shouldn't you want to defend the fairy tree in order to save your daughter? Merwellian is drawing closer to the heart of the fairy glen every day. Medira's Tree is at risk of corruption. If The Tree falls, then so will the rest of the fairies."

"No." Her mother corked the vial and placed it back in her pouch. "You're healed. Now, please, be on your way."

"Wait!" Taren shouted. He scrambled to his feet and ran after her mother. But a wall of water suddenly formed in front of him, knocking him back a step. He retreated a little then glared. "How can you turn a blind eye to our people? We're supposed to help each other!"

Her mother jerked to a halt, her wings flaring in anger.

Ilyia took a timid step back.

"Our people?" her mother spat and rounded on Taren. "Our people banished me long ago for casting magic to try to cure fairies without wings. Our people severed me from The Tree, so I had to find my own way. I had to raise my daughter alone. I had to endure watching my own husband give up his life to protect me as I fled with our child. Our people." She curled her fingers, wrapping the water around the fairy. He grunted in surprise and struggled to free himself.

"Mother!" Ilyia cried, but another tendril of water sprang up to push her back.

"They are not my people," her mother said. She jerked on the water wall and pulled Taren close. "And neither are you." With a grunt, she hurled her hand and sent the fairy flying backwards. She freed him of her magic, and he started to fall.

"No!" Ilyia tried to fly after him, but her wings were still wet. He'd die with damp wings!

But instead of crashing into a bush, he spread dry wings and flew away, faint golden magic trailing him.

Ilyia blinked in surprise. "You didn't get his wings wet..."

"Of course not," her mother replied and started back towards the kingfishers. "I didn't want him dead, I just wanted him gone."

Ilyia hurried after her, though part of her longed to follow the strange warrior fairy. "What was he talking about? What war? Who's Merwellian?" She narrowed her eyes. "And what do you mean that you were banished?"

Her mother sighed heavily and pressed a hand to her face. "Not now, Ilyia."

"No!" Ilyia snapped. She stopped and clenched her hands at her waist. "If not now, then when? You always say that! Not now. Not now. Why don't you ever have time to explain things to me?"

"Because you don't need to know." Her mother sighed. She looked back, and Ilyia suddenly saw the age lines on her mother's face. She looked so exhausted, as if hiding the truth had paid a great toll on her. "We still have to help the kingfishers." And with that, she left Ilyia standing alone, still shaking with anger.

It didn't make sense. Her mother had never mentioned anything about creating a spell to heal wingless fairies. She didn't know that was even a problem! And how long had this war been waging across Medira? How could her mother think it wasn't of importance?

Ilyia threw her hands up in the air in frustration. She wanted nothing more than to fly after Taren or demand more answers of her mother, but her desire to help heal the kingfishers won over. So, pushing her anger deep down, she walked after her mother.

The kingfishers were still present, and her mother was back to tending to the female. As she worked, she looked up at the father.

"What kind of bird attacked your mate?"

"A raven," he replied. "He came as if out of nowhere and tried to grab her."

Her mother bowed her head. "Were you, perhaps, around a golden fairy recently?"

The kingfishers exchanged looks before the female spoke. "Yes...he was giving us a report about the war. And then not long after, I was attacked."

The male shifted on his feet and ruffled his feathers. "Battle is drawing closer to us, Elpis. We can't keep hiding. Soon, all of Medira will have to be involved."

"No," her mother said, shaking her head. "I will not be dragged into their war. Not after what they've done."

The male puffed. "But with your magic-"

"I don't care." Her mother stood up and dusted dirt from her hands. "Your mate should be able to fly shortly. I bid you both good day."

She started to leave, but this time, she was the one to be blocked. The male kingfisher spread his wing and stopped her. He tilted his head, one eye looking her over.

"You can't always run, Elpis."

"Yes I can," the fairy replied and lightly pushed his wing away. "It's apparently the only thing I'm good at." She looked over at Ilyia and jerked her head to the side, giving the order to depart.

Ilyia swallowed hard and started to follow. She wasn't used to other creatures speaking to her mother like this, as if she was a coward. Elpis had always been the bravest fairy in Ilyia's mind. So to learn that she had been running from a war, from helping people, all this time...it hurt. And it disappointed her. Maybe the world wasn't a safe place, but wasn't it their responsibility to try to make it better?

As she walked, her wings started to dry off. She flapped them lightly and finally was able to fly into the air. She followed her mother's blue magic trail back towards their home.

It was a lovely place that her mother had built long ago. Beside the base of a mountain stood a small tree stump with a little oaken door. Blue flowers circled the roof of their home, while a fresh spring created a sort of moat around it.

They'd built a garden together which was ripe with fresh fruits and vegetables, ready for the picking. Ilyia flew past it and landed outside the door. She glanced back over her shoulder then followed her mother inside. She was met by a cool breeze.

The scent of fresh herbs drying from strings in the ceiling filled her nose, bringing to her a sense of home. She passed magically burning sconces and walked through their little kitchen and dining area. Remnants of a mushroom breakfast still sat out on an even larger mushroom table.

She looked around for her mother but couldn't find her anywhere. It was the sound of fluttering cloth and objects moving that drew her to her mother's bedroom.

Her mother shoved pieces of clothing into a bag and reached for a small wooden flower that Ilyia had carved for her years ago on her birthday. Their home was full of so many memories. Painted pictures lined the walls and little crafts that they had made together sat on her mother's shelves or in the living room. It had always been Ilyia's home.

And she always thought it would be.

"Mother...what are you doing?"

Her mother glanced up, her eyes dark and sad. She bowed her head then reached for another piece of clothing.

"Go pack your things, Ilyia. We're leaving." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 534 24
[Sequel to Light of the Heavens] (Posting to RoyalRoad) The Phoenix Queen died in the ashes of her birth, they say, and all traces of her life remain...
180K 11.1K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...
3.2K 294 65
"So, you rode Azymondias? The Dragon King?" My dad asked, surprised. "Yup." "And you were the only one to acquire one of his scales?" "Yup." "But...
197 27 30
From the time she could remember, all she had known is the scene of the evolving world of nothing less the extraordinary. The world she was in, had c...