The Secret's In The Telling...

By DesiAllen5

here's another one I found on fan fiction that I know you'll love. story by Sakuri can be found on fan ficti... More

chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
Chapter 14
chapter 15
Chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
Chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38
chapter 39
chapter 40
chapter 42

chapter 41

410 13 0
By DesiAllen5

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 41: Demonstrations Of Loyalty

xxx

Harry slipped and slid down the hill towards the high street of the small village, forcing himself not to glance back to where he knew Draco would be standing, staring after him with a look of betrayal. He was doing what he had to, he told himself. He couldn't let Draco come with him. He just couldn't. The werewolf would try and protect him, just as he had that time against Ron, and in a battle like this it would only get him hurt, or worse.

And, more than that, Draco was... He was...

No. He couldn't let himself think of that now.

His friends hurried to keep up on the slippery terrain, their wands out and eyes searching for any sign that they'd been noticed. From their higher vantage point, they could see Snape ducking behind any form of shelter he could reach in an attempt to avoid the attacks he was already attracting. Harry supposed he sometimes forgot how skilled a wizard the man was, but he was forcefully reminded of the fact now as he watched him fire off a spiel of various curses that made a larger dent in the number of Death Eaters present than many of the Hogsmeade inhabitants had managed in the last half an hour.

"Main priority is finding Remus," he instructed through panting breath. "Don't get involved in a dual if you can help it. Try not to be noticed at all, if you can help it."

As they finally reached flat ground, skidding to a halt behind one of the shop buildings, out of sight, Ron turned to him. The redhead reached out and grasped his arm, gesturing wildly back towards the Shack where they'd left the Slytherin. "Mate, what the hell...?"

"Not now," he muttered, trying to pull away. "You can yell at me for bad taste after we –"

"Not that," Ron interrupted, though he did wrinkle his nose and look slightly revolted. "No, I mean... Leaving him up there? What the hell did you do to the git, that he actually listened?"

Hermione bit her lip worriedly. "Ron –"

"And weren't you the one going on about what a bloody fantastic wizard Malfoy is? It didn't occur to you that he might be a bit useful, for once in his life...?"

Harry scowled. "Yes, Ron, it occurred to me. I just –" He cut himself off, realising there was no reasonable explanation he could give right now. "Never mind. Look, make sure the two of you stick together. Remember the dual back in the Room of Requirement? You're safer if you have a partner."

Hermione stared at him incredulously. "But – Wait! Harry! What about you?"

He started to back away from them. "I'll be faster on my own. Trust me, I'll be fine. Promise." And with that, he turned and darted into the battle, following Snape's footprints so he could use the same shelters. Belatedly, he realised they'd all forgotten to bring the Cloak down from the hilltop, where the enraged Potions Master had tossed it to the floor. He could have used it right now as he attempted to sneak unseen past a hoard of Death Eaters, his eyes wide and alert for any signs of Remus.

Harry was glad, now, that he had had Draco describe to him some of the Dark magic he knew and had heard of. Otherwise, he might have been shocked by the display of vicious curses and hexes that were being thrown every which way all around him. The Death Eaters were not limited to Unforgivables, the Slytherin had explained, and now Harry understood what he meant. They were much more creative.

Blinding curses. Flaying hexes. Fire. Pain. He closed his eyes and had to gather himself for a moment, taken aback. He'd been wrong. Practice with the DA, even with Draco present, had not prepared him.

He darted from one hiding place onto the next as soon as he was sure he wouldn't be seen, looking for his next destination. Ron and Hermione slunk from one shop building to the next across from him on the other side of the cobbled street, peering into the frosted windows when they could afford to in an attempt to spot the missing werewolf. He mirrored their movements as best he could, but it was difficult to search effectively while trying not to be seen.

Ahead of him, one of the masked figures was fending off the haphazard attacks of a civilian with ease. A few flicks of his wand sent the other man's spells spinning off in random directions – much in the same way Draco did to his opponents, Harry thought, before realising he really had to try and put the Slytherin out of his head. Then, as the Gryffindor looked on, the Death Eater calmly flicked his wand and sent his victim spinning through the air. Harry bit his lip and cringed as the wizard landed hard, his fall somewhat pillowed by the snow.

He'd already aimed his wand, expecting to hear the first syllables of the Killing Curse and ready to try and stop it, before he realised the Death Eater had lost interest and was already turning away. He backtracked hurriedly, ducking out of sight behind the corner of the nearest building.

What had happened there? Why hadn't the masked wizard cast Avadka Kadavra, instead of simply leaving his opponent where he was and allowing him the chance to recover...?

Automatically, he checked the position of the sun, and in doing so answered his own question.

In a flash of Hermione-like intuition, he knew why they're brought Remus here. They were going to set him on the villagers – not just to kill and do their job for them, but to turn as many as he could. Harry blanched. Voldemort wanted werewolves, and Remus was going to unwillingly create them for him. The Death Eaters weren't killing anyone because they were waiting for the moon to rise. After all, dead people couldn't be infected by a werewolf bite, now could they...?

Harry shivered, repulsed by the idea. Immediately, his urgency to find the wolf increased tenfold, and he looked around wildly. All around him, he now noticed that whatever curses were being thrown, however hazardous, however malicious, none of them were lethal.

He found himself turning one way and then another, losing any sense of a plan he might have started out with. His mind spun in circles. Where were the other Order members? Why hadn't they stopped this yet? Where had Snape disappeared to? Were Ron and Hermione still okay? He couldn't see them. Oh God, what about Draco? What if someone found him up there, alone and trapped by the compulsion that had been placed upon him...? What if–

Stop.

He realised suddenly that his panicked thoughts had carried him away entirely. He'd stepped forward, away from his hiding place, with some half-formed intent of desperately finding Remus there and then.

Now, returning to relative sanity, he hurriedly whirled back around, remembering the importance of staying out of sight.

Too late. Looming in black robes and haunting white mask, a Death Eater had stepped into place behind him, blocking his escape route. Harry stopped dead, stunned by how fast he'd made such a stupid mistake. Automatically, he raised his wand, but something stopped the spell on the tip of his tongue.

White blonde. Harry blinked, oddly uncomprehending for a moment, simply unable to relate the familiar shade with the danger he was looking at.

Finally, though, realisation dawned.

Lucius Malfoy was stood before him. Harry knew it was him, though the pale mask covered his face. He recognised the white blonde hair that escaped the concealment of his hood, and there was no mistaking the eyes that pinned him furiously, or the familiar, serpent-headed wand that was currently pointed his way.

Acting purely on instinct, Harry dropped to the ground, just in time to avoid the attack that sailed over his head. He scrambled backwards as a succession of spells sprayed up snow in his wake, Lucius stalking after him, his intentions obviously dangerous.

The voice that emerged from behind the mask was colder than the ice beneath his hands.

"Potter. So this is the bane of the Dark Lord, on his knees in the dirt." Casually, he flicked another curse from his wand, making Harry roll desperately to the side. "What, exactly," Lucius continued, "is it about you that could possibly have convinced my son to side with the Light...? Do tell. I'm finding it hard to understand, myself."

Harry found himself struck silent. His thought process had simply ground to a halt as he stared up in horror at Draco's father, whose wand was now levelled at his head.

"I suggest you attempt an explanation, Potter, lest I grow tired and kill you now." He reached up and removed his hood and mask, turning the full force of a lethal glare on the Gryffindor. "You and your precious Headmaster have done some truly stupid things in your time, boy, but this...! Did you really think I'd let you tear my family apart without a word of protest?"

"I –"

"Silencio!" he barked out, evidently changing his mind about an explanation.

Harry froze, panic descending on him as the silencing spell took effect. He couldn't speak, and therefore couldn't use magic to defend himself.

Lucius sneered at him, maliciously satisfied at the fear he saw in green eyes. "Oh, I shall enjoy this. I dare say the Dark Lord will be disappointed that he won't get to do this himself, but I'm sure it's a forgivable offence, considering..." He smiled cruelly. "Do you think you can survive yet again, Mr Potter?"

Harry couldn't have given an answer even if he wanted to. He clutched his throat helplessly and glared back. Suddenly, he understood why Draco had insisted that everyone work with a partner back in the harmless DA sessions. Had someone else been with him, they could have at least ended the charm that prevented his voice from working...

Abruptly, an idea came to him. Something that didn't require an incantation.

Desperately, he began the Animagus transformation, willing it to speed up. Immediately, he felt magic lash around him, changing his form. He felt himself gain mass and height, the world changing perspective around him, his very senses altering all in a sudden rush.

Lucius reeled back in shock, not at all expecting to see the great looming dog appear before him, unnerved enough to lower his wand for a split second.

Using the only weapon still available to him, Harry lunged forward and found himself barrelling into the blonde wizard, his now greater weight landing Lucius on his back with an outraged cry. Sharp, powerful canine teeth closed around the man's wrist, clamped down hard and drawing blood. Fighting not to gag at the sensation of the warm liquid in his mouth, Harry steeled himself and bit again, desperate to make Lucius drop the wand.

The Dark wizard swore in pain and bucked beneath him, trying to escape. His knee connected with the Gryffindor's ribs, but Harry didn't let himself relent. One large paw pinned down his opponent's left arm, making it impossible for Lucius to transfer the wand to his other hand. Harry knew he wouldn't escape if the Death Eater regained control of the situation. This was his last ditch attempt at survival, and if it didn't work...

Yet even as he was thinking this, to his horror, he saw from the corner of his eye that Lucius was miraculously managing to twist the wand into position. Too late, he looked down to see grey eyes alight with pain and cold, furious satisfaction.

"Crucio!"

Harry let go against his will, his jaws opening in a yowl of agony. Lucius rolled out from beneath him just before he collapsed heavily, twitching in the snow as the curse tore through him, setting every nerve alight. He curled up on himself as if to hide, but it did nothing. Like the time he had endured this once before, he felt abruptly as if he would die simply from the pain.

"You half-blood little freak!" the blonde wizard was shrieking in anger, though his voice sounded a great distance away. His mutilated wrist was pressed protectively to his chest and wand held in his left hand, still pointed squarely at the writhing Animagus at his feet. Face contorted with rage, he maintained the curse for what felt like forever, pouring every bit of spite and malice into the torture.

Finally, he snapped his wand downwards, and Harry felt the world crash down around him as the torment suddenly ended, the harsh relief almost as terrible as the pain in those first few confused seconds. He found his canine muzzle half buried in the snow, inhaling the icy powder in deep, desperate gasps, sending shocks of cold through him with each breath.

Lucius moved to stand over him, face the picture of carefully controlled fury, his breath audible as it rasped from between gritted teeth. "I would dearly love to spend longer in your company, Mr Potter. It has been... invigorating, to say the least." He cast a glance along the high street. "But duty calls. Goodbye, Mr Potter." He raised his wand. "Avadka Ka–"

"No!"

Before either of them fully understood what was happening, there was another flash of blonde and spray of snow as Draco skidded into place between them, landing awkwardly on his knees so that Lucius's wand was pointed directly at his chest.

The older wizard almost choked in an effort to cut himself off, staring in wide eyed perplexity at the unexpected appearance of his son, thrown protectively between him and his target.

Harry struggled to sit up, growling and attempting to ignore the simultaneous scream of protest from each of his muscles. He was astonished to see the Slytherin all of a sudden, and even more so when Draco turned and shoved him unceremoniously back into the snow, kneeling over him defensively.

"Move," Lucius ground out, teeth bared in pure anger as the situation spun rapidly from his control.

Terrified by his own defiance, Draco clenched his jaw and shook his head, battling down the instinct that urged him to jump to his father's command. Instead, he pressed himself further back against the damp, matted fur of his mate, which rose and fell with frightened breathing.

"Draco. Remove yourself this instant." His tone was that of the master who fully expected to be obeyed.

And yet, once again, Draco shook his head. "...No." Behind his back, his fingers clenched convulsively in Harry's fur, demanding strength of both himself and the Gryffindor.

Lucius visibly hesitated, obviously unused to the disobedience. Draco imagined the rather clueless expression he wore was the same as when Narcissa had found herself facing his wand after her defiance. He didn't know what to do – sense of duty clashing with family loyalty. Draco, who had just experienced a similar inner-conflict, felt a twinge of sympathy.

Still, there was nothing in the world that would make this any easier. Lucius had chosen his side and Draco had chosen his, and the proverbial line between them had never been so deeply etched.

"Just move," his father said again, and later would never admit that his voice might have held the slightest note of pleading.

Draco knew, then, that whatever he did next, Lucius would not stop him. He couldn't bring himself to curse his son, just as he hadn't been able to curse his wife, even when ordered to.

This in mind, Draco steeled himself and met his father's cold eyes. "...Sorry," he offered uselessly, and then called up his magic, jumping into Apparation and dragging Harry's dead weight with him.

Left alone too fast to protest, Lucius stared at the disturbed snow all around him, spoilt by paw prints and skid marks and stained with his own blood. Draco was nowhere to be seen, and if he'd ever taught his son anything, he would not allow himself or Potter to be spotted again tonight.

Slowly, he turned and began to walk away – spitefully jinxing anything that got in his way, friend or foe.

xxx

As soon as he'd left the group of teenagers, Severus had allowed his instincts to take over, sliding into the mindset of the veteran he was.

In the orange light of dusk, Hogsmeade looked aflame. He was forced to squint as the churned snow blazed with reflected colour, the picturesque view at odds with the violence surrounding him.

Hurriedly, he headed for the centre of the village, sure that they would try and release Lupin at the most crowded area. On his way, he kept his eye out for other members of the Order, sure they would be arriving soon. The civilians were able to hold their own, but they wouldn't last much longer without sufficient help, he guessed.

He'd already attempted to advise those he passed to flee towards the castle, but many of the witches and wizards were fiercely defensive of their village, determined to stay and see it to safety themselves. Severus had been exasperated by the foolish loyalty, but quickly realised he didn't have the time to spare arguing with them. It could be left to Minerva and the others to drag them away kicking and screaming if they had to – he had his own priorities.

Cursing two Death Eaters who blocked his path out of the way, the Potions Master moved forward with confidence, feeling almost satisfied that he was in a position to fight back against those who, not so long ago, had chased him from the Dark Lord's inner circle with malicious laughter ringing in his ears.

Now, it was with icy efficiency that he picked them off one by one, moving unseen between the quaint little shops that lined the street, eyes moving over every small detail. Like Harry, he'd noticed the lack of lethal spells being used by the Death Eaters, and guessed the reason for the tactic, so it was only occasionally he risked drawing attention to himself by intervening to protect some of the more defenceless civilians.

It was as he was coming towards the end of the highstreet, where the shops gave way to houses, that it happened.

He froze when he saw commotion beginning in the middle of the street, as a series of loud cracks split the air signalling yet more Apparation. He watched, riveted, as a fresh collection of Death Eaters materialised in a group, and between them was suspended a sizeable metal cage, held aloft by their wands.

In it was Lupin.

Severus, his thoughts turned cold and sharp and clear, not yet allowing for emotional observations, guessed immediately that the metal bars were probably infused with confining charms, otherwise Lupin would already have Apparated away, or found some alternative way to escape the cage.

As it was, the werewolf looked beyond the ability to help himself any longer. Even from his distance, Severus could see that wide golden eyes, already the colour of the wolf, were far too bright and wild, terrorised by what was happening and what was no doubt about to happen. He stared out unseeingly at those who surrounded him. Pale hands gripped the bars, but the grip was slack, all fight gone from him. His clothes hung from him where he'd lost weight rapidly in this last week. Severus felt something twinge as he guessed the man had been starved in preparation for tonight, in the hope of spurring on the wolf he would become.

Without thought, he raised his wand and cast. The spell flew with pinpoint accuracy, hitting one of the Death Eaters square in the back. The masked wizard screamed as his robes ignited instantly, and promptly stumbled sideways into the others. Chaos spread as the group attempted to extinguish the catching flames and looked around for their attacker. As each one lost their concentration on their levitating spells, the cage suddenly landed with a crash. Severus winced for the rather fragile looking werewolf it contained, but his sympathy was short-lived as the multiple Death Eaters turned on him and he was forced to throw up hasty defences against the bombardment of curses that came his way.

"Lupin!" he shouted when he could, over the sound of yells and destructive magic. He had to get the other man to snap out of the daze he seemed to have entered. "Lupin, for Merlin's –! Sectumsempra!" His trademark curse cut down two of the masked wizards, used much more effectively than Draco's clueless attempt.

He thought he saw the werewolf blink a few times and glance around, but couldn't be sure as one of his opponents chose that moment to get a spell past his shields. Only just, he avoided the brunt of it, but it still clipped his right leg, which buckled beneath him.

One of the Death Eaters, having been waiting for the opening in his defences, was almost upon him before he could think of a suitable curse to respond with. So instead, he fell back on instinct.

"Legilimency!"

Instantly, he was catapulted into yet another alien mind, one which resonated shock and fright at his intrusion. He didn't hesitate, even while registering his own distaste, in forcing his way deeper.

Lupin might not know or appreciate it, but Severus had generally been as gentle as he could be during their sessions – with the exception of his one loss of control. Now, he abandoned any thought of taking that same care, and tore along the threads of thought viciously, ripping at them, and not relenting until he heard the distant scream of pain.

He pulled back swiftly in time to see his victim drop to the ground, apparently unconscious, and only a split second passed since initiating the spell. The remaining Death Eaters hesitated, and he took advantage of their stunned inaction to lash out a Blasting Curse in their direction, using the distraction to dart from his crouched position in the snow and move as fast as he could with a limp towards the caged werewolf.

When Lupin finally noticed him, it didn't seem as if he recognised him for a moment. Golden eyes flickered unsurely, not showing anything of hope or excitement or... any reaction, really.

Severus grit his teeth, tried not to think of the implications of such despondency, and dug in his pocket for the potion vial he'd risked everything to bring here.

Another curse sped past his ear, missing him by millimetres. He spun around to see more black robed figures replacing the ones he'd already put down. He wondered exactly how many Death Eaters were present tonight, as they seemed never ending – but perhaps that was just his imagination. He supposed they'd have needed so much manpower to control the citizens and the werewolf they planned to set loose.

He made another move closer to the cage, but immediately several spells were flung at him, and he had to freeze and gather layered defence spells. There was no way they were going to let him near the wolf. They'd overwhelm him if he split his concentration trying to save Lupin. And they knew it.

So he did the only thing he could think of, under the circumstances.

He turned and threw the potion with as much accuracy as he could manage, watching only to see it landed safely a mere few inches outside the bars. Then, with the frantic hope that Lupin was still sane enough to recognise it and realise its importance, he looked away just in time to be met with the melee of curses coming his way.

xxx

Where the Slytherin had taken them, Harry didn't know. All he was aware of was that it was still outside, still within earshot of the battle, but sheltered enough that they were alone for the moment, without the threat of being attacked or caught in a crossfire. He closed his eyes for a moment, revelling in the escape, before he was startled into full wakefulness.

Draco's long fingers buried in the dark fur along the Gryffindor's side and chest, shaking him roughly. "Harry, change back. Come on, change back." His voice shook with urgency.

Obediently, Harry let magic drift around him, the transformation not as hurried this time. Draco's hands ended up clutching his shirt, tugging at the material until he relented and rolled over, groaning.

"Can you sit up?"

He nodded and tried to answer, too late remembering the silence that afflicted him. Gesturing helplessly to his throat, he stared at the other boy pleadingly.

Understanding, Draco swiped his wand impatiently and muttered, "Finite Incantatem."

Harry coughed experimentally, testing his newly released voice. "It's not that bad," he protested weakly, when he could. "I'm just... sore." Hah. Understatement. For a moment, he had to rely on the blonde's strength to get him upright, and then swayed when he found himself standing.

Draco stepped back hesitantly, watching to see if the Gryffindor would fall without his support. He didn't, and the werewolf let out a sigh of relief as he was finally satisfied that Harry was indeed unharmed, at least for the most part.

No sooner had that occurred to him, the full force of his outraged indignity hit him, like a delayed afterthought. "You stupid git!"

Harry's head snapped up in surprise at the exclamation, just in time to be met with a sharp blow to the mouth as Draco followed through on his private vow to knock some sense into his mate.

Caught off balance, Harry stumbled and returned to the ground, landing inelegantly in the snow on his backside and staring up with wide, shocked eyes at the blonde, his hand pressed to his bleeding lip.

Draco fumed, eyes already flashing arctic blue. "If you ever try something like that again, I swear to Merlin, Potter, it will be the last thing you do. I – God, you have no idea how much I want to hex you right now!"

Harry glared balefully and spat blood. "I'm getting an idea..." he muttered, clambering awkwardly to his feet once again. "How did you break the compulsion, anyway?"

The Slytherin sneered viciously. "None of your damn business," he snarled, and turned away.

Well, really, what else could he have said? Now was hardly the time or place to admit that the mere sight of Lucius bearing down on his mate had spurred him to such heights of fear that any hold the wolf had possessed over him had simply... snapped? He could recall, almost to the second, the feeling of it breaking inside him, as a rush of adrenaline to his heart had almost stopped it.

And in that moment, he supposed, he and the wolf had been truly united for the first time, because the situation had erased all possibility of mediation. Before, he had still been trying to hold himself back, so that, at the very least, he wouldn't be as badly hurt if and when Harry freaked out, which he suspected was inevitable. What had he called it before...? A 'half-experience', attempting to be with his mate without getting too emotionally attached.

Well, Draco had never been too good at doing anything by halves. It had just taken him a little while to remember that, was all.

He was still perfectly aware that the Gryffindor reserved the right to run a mile when eventually confronted with what Draco had to tell him, but that no longer mattered, as the lightning bolt of terror seemed to have just proved. He supposed he could accept the fact that he was irrevocably linked to the boy, even if the sentiment wasn't mutual.

And that was what the wolf had wanted from him, he realised.

"...Draco?"

Snapping out of his thoughts, he glanced towards the Gryffindor, who was watching him solemnly.

"It... it won't work anymore if I order you to do something, will it?"

The Slytherin paused to think about it, silently asking the question of the wolf inside him.

It took him a moment to realise he could no longer pinpoint the separate entity of the curse. He cast around for it in confusion, searching for the shadowy spot at the back of his mind from which came all the animalistic urges that had plagued him since being bitten. But sure enough, it was no longer there.

He wasn't fool enough to think he'd been cured, by any means. But the alteration perplexed him. What...?

And then, in a flash, he understood.

Oh yes. It made sense now in a way all the books had failed to put into words. The wolf could no longer control him with compulsions because it was no longer an individual mind, working against his own.

Now, it was truly part of him. Diffused into his own mind and motives, adding yet another layer of Darkness to his person – as if he hadn't been questionable enough, he thought wryly.

So this was the consequence of true acceptance.

It could be worse, he mused idly, after a while. He wondered if Lupin had ever experienced this... this merging. The man had never admitted to it, if he had. Gryffindor that he was, he probably found the acceptance more shameful than the original curse

Remembering the question, Draco shook his head. "No, it won't work anymore." His eyes narrowed. "Why? Disappointed?"

Strangely, Harry smiled. "No. And... I'm sorry about... y'know. Compelling you."

"You bloody well should be," the blonde shot back promptly, unforgiving. "I think I gave myself whiplash, for God's sake, trying to come after you! And you're damn lucky I didn't give up right then. One second more –"

Harry stepped forward and hugged him forcefully, effectively ending the tirade as Draco froze, blinking in surprise over the Gryffindor's shoulder.

"This is hardly the time or place..." he began uncomfortably after a few seconds.

The other boy released him, without even the decency to look abashed.

Draco glared, then rolled his eyes. "Well, if you're quite finished, maybe we can do this properly now."

"...You're still willing to help?"

The blonde let out a long suffering sigh. "Don't think I haven't considered knocking you out cold and dragging you back to the school, Potter." He looked pointedly at the sky. "But I don't have enough time left."

Harry followed his gaze, eyes widening as he realised for the first time exactly how dark it had grown, the first few stars pinpricking the shadowed horizon.

Draco had already turned away, and was pointing his wand towards the sound of the fray. "Accio Invisibility Cloak!"

Harry stared at him, wondering dumbly why he hadn't thought to do that after realising he'd forgotten it. It didn't take long for the required object to come sailing through the air into the Slytherin's outstretched hand. Harry might not have noticed it except for the slight distortion of the air it caused.

Draco tossed it at him, with a look that plainly accused, Idiot. Then, he held out his wand as well. "Here. Mind this for me."

Harry took it and slipped the length of ebony into a pocket, oddly hesitant. He had the urge to say something, but couldn't for the life of him decide what, and so only ended up biting his lip mutely, standing back as the transformation began.

xxx

"Confringo!"

Severus's spell collided with his nearest opponent, sending him catapulting backwards into two others with a loud bang, and the three went down in a disorganised pile. He waited a moment, watching to see if they stirred.

But for the moment, it seemed he was safe.

Whirling around, he made towards the abandoned cage – remembering his hesitancy only halfway there. He faltered, eyes scanning for the potion he had thrown in his urgency. It was nowhere to be seen, and he wondered frantically if it had been kicked aside, or spilled, or something else disastrous, before the werewolf could reach it.

He could see no glimpse of it, however. It seemed he was too late, anyway. Even as he looked on, the last glow of sunlight faded away from the horizon, sinking the village into an almost false calm. The moment seemed to pause as the last blush of sunset finally gave way to the sweep of silver light from the moon.

The Potions Master froze, feeling the ingrained fear beginning to rise in him, and having to battle the urge to turn and run.

"S-Severus!"

Lupin's voice shocked him. He snapped out of his apprehensive daze to see the werewolf huddled in one corner of his cage, trembling as the change took him. He edged closer, wand out and ready.

"...Did you take it?" His voice sounded far too faint for his liking. "Lupin. Did you take the Wolfsbane?"

He got no answer from the man other than a grunt of pain that turned into something reminiscent of a bark. Yet again, he found himself watching the painful transformation he'd once witnessed come over Draco, no less unnerved a second time round. It shook him as a dozen or more Death Eaters couldn't; frightening on some primal level.

As the moon emerged fully from behind its cover of cloud, the low howl of the wolf cut through Hogsmeade.

Severus continued to stare, wide eyed, waiting for some sign as to whether or not the creature before him had retained its humanity. It seemed exhausted, lying curled up at the bottom of the enchanted cage with its eyes cringed shut.

Daringly, he stepped closer.

One golden eye opened just enough to peer listlessly at him, and there was no sign of either wildness or recognition in the glowing iris.

"...Lupin?"

Painfully slow, the wolf levered itself into a sitting position. It didn't snarl at him, or fight its confinements uselessly, or act in any irrational manner he suspected a vicious animal might.

Steeling himself, he crossed the final distance between them, stopping just short of the metal bars. And yes, there it was. The empty vial lying on the floor of the cage, drained of potion.

He felt a rush of relief, and allowed himself to release the breath he hadn't realised he'd been holding.

Still, it would be... irresponsible to open the cage without testing.

Not believing what he was doing, he watched his hand as if it belonged to someone else, reaching past the bars, held out in offering, ready to be snatched back if the creature moved too suddenly or threateningly.

Golden eyes fixed on him, blinking languidly, the wolf leaned forward and flicked a pink tongue over his fingertips.

Severus could not help but roll his eyes and sigh in exasperation, finally reassured. "That wasn't permission for you to take liberties with me, Lupin," he complained in annoyance, even as he stepped back and brandished his wand at the cage, snapping out a spell that made the cage door burst open with a clang.

The tawny coloured wolf inside rose awkwardly to its full height; the size surprising the Potions Master. He'd almost forgotten, in the long years since he'd last faced this creature, its sheer mass and power. Even now, knowing it was tame, he still felt the old shadow of horror passing over him.

And yet. This was Lupin. Logically, he knew it was Lupin, the same mild-mannered pest with his stupid Gryffindor morals and irrational little crush. What was there to be afraid of...?

He watched as the wolf limped towards him on three paws, another injury he'd evidently taken during his captivity. Expressionless, Severus flicked off a healing spell. It wouldn't be perfect, especially with the werewolf's trait of repelling magic, but it would have to do.

He beckoned impatiently, pausing only a moment before forcing himself to lay his hand on the wolf's shoulder blade, fingers buried in the coarse fur in preparation for Apparating.

Without warning, just as he closed his eyes to concentrate, Lupin let out a deafening bark and surged forward, away from the Potions Master.

Severus's eyes flew open in surprise, astonished to see the creature bounding towards the large mass of people that filled the highstreet. His first panicked thought was that he'd somehow been deceived and had just loosed an enraged werewolf on defenceless villagers and Death Eaters alike.

But no, Lupin darted past the first people he encountered without a second glance, obviously aiming for something specific.

Severus looked past him and quickly set eyes on the problem that had spurred the wolf to action.

"Salazar..." he whispered in disbelief and quiet fury – and then he was off in pursuit.

xxx

"Ever feel like we're not really needed...?" Ron grumbled sullenly, looking unimpressed.

Hermione nodded in vague agreement. She knew it was stupid, but she, like Ron, had grown accustomed to their presence being somewhat necessary in this type of situation. That Harry had run off on his own without even the smallest pretence of needing or wanting their help was a slight turn up for the books. She suspected they wouldn't be here at all if they hadn't caught him and Draco in the halls – and even now their role seemed to have been reduced to moral support.

It was... disconcerting, to say the least.

"Just keep looking," was all she said, however. "Remus has to be around here somewhere. Harry said he dreamed about him in a cage..."

"Harry's dreams have been wrong before," the redhead responded doubtfully. "You don't think he'd fall for the same thing twice, do you...?"

"Well, Snape obviously believes he's right," she reasoned.

Leaning back against the shop they were taking refuge behind, Ron shrugged. "You realise they could already be too late, even if they find him? Look. It's already dark, and –"

Adding uncomfortable weight to Ron's words, a howl resounded around them. Falling silent, they cast wide eyed glances at each other, standing motionless for at least a minute.

"Think they made it...?" he asked eventually.

She bit her lip for a moment, then turned and headed for the street.

"What are you doing?" he demanded incredulously, following her reluctantly. He was quite happy to rest a little while longer in the relative safety of their hiding place.

"I have to see what's happening," she explained, glancing over her shoulder at him.

"But –"

She'd peered cautiously into the street, as always her curiosity ruling her, only to let out a shocked scream. He ran forward in alarm, appearing at her side in time to see exactly what had caused the reaction.

Remus Lupin barrelling towards them, great paws throwing up snow, teeth and eyes flashing.

Ron screamed and stumbled backwards, grabbing Hermione's arm to pull her with him. She lost her balance and tumbled into him, sending them both to the ground. Still pulling her with him, he continued to scramble in the opposite direction, head filled with thoughts of third year, the incident in which Sirius had bitten him, and how much worse it would hurt with a werewolf.

Something white seemed to appear from nowhere, streaking out in front of them and issuing a snarl. Ron's chest hurt with panic as he recognised it as another of the creatures, and he pulled out his wand with trembling hands.

Another burst of movement caught his attention, and he turned to see Harry whipping off the Invisibility Cloak as he rushed to join them. At the same time, Hermione grabbed his wrist, forcing his wand away from the white wolf.

"What are you doing–?"

"Ron, no!"

He received no more chance to object, as Lupin skidded towards them, and the paler wolf snapped at him until he backed up slightly. Still, it would be no match if the creatures fought; Lupin had height, weight and strength on the silvery wolf that stood between him and them.

And then, seemingly from nowhere, Snape appeared, reaching out and grasping the larger werewolf's dark fur and hauling him backwards as if he were nothing more than a disobedient dog. Later, Ron would marvel at the absurdity of the scenario, but for the moment he was too astonished to fully process the sight of the Potions Master throwing hesitancy to the wind and managing to drag a creature almost matching his height away from them.

"Lupin! For Merlin's sake, you're frightening the hell out of everyone!"

To their amazement, the massive wolf flattened its ears and sunk back against the Potions Master tamely, looking oddly... sheepish.

Similarly, the white creature that had appeared in their defence slowly rose from its crouched, protective stance. Though still as tense as ever, it now eyed the other werewolf with wary consideration.

Harry moved with equal caution, stretching to touch the smaller wolf's side. "Draco..." Blue eyes flashed his way, tension easing somewhat.

Ron blanched. "Malfoy?"

The witch was looking up at the Potions Master – completely unsurprised by the revelation, the redhead would note later. "You got him Wolfsbane then?"

Snape glared at her with more outrage than ever before. "I specifically told you all to go back to the school!" She flinched, and he turned on Harry. "You, Potter, are unforgivably stupid! I don't believe you'd– Oh, shut up, Draco!"

The wolf, who had been emitting a low growl, fell sharply quiet.

Severus took deep breaths, mentally scripting the rant he would inflict on the teenagers and Lupin at a more appropriate time, then looked around them. Yes, members of the Order were present in the crowd now, and it was only a matter of time before they were noticed – which, for all involved, would be better avoided.

The problem was, he couldn't simply Apparate them all out. There were too many for him to carry, and with Draco and Lupin in their current state, he was the only one capable of–

"...Professor?"

"What, Granger?"

She gestured towards the shop they were positioned next to. "Th-there's a passage... in the cellar of Honeydukes... It goes straight back to the school..."

Next to her, Potter was nodding earnestly. "We wouldn't be seen."

Severus resisted the urge to snarl at them. But damn it all, he couldn't think of a better idea, and could only grudgingly relent.

He watched as the three teenagers disappeared beneath Potter's infernal Cloak, and then stood back as their footprints led the way towards the entrance of the deserted sweet shop. Draco stayed close to them, tense and protective to the last.

The wolf at his side suddenly nudged him, and only then did he realise he seemed to have froze, his fingers still clenched in Lupin's fur.

Embarrassed, he let go quickly.

Golden eyes stared at him, unnervingly intense, before the creature began to limp after the others. Severus sighed, shoving down the irrationally powerful feeling of relief, and made sure to close the door behind them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

244K 6K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
745K 23.4K 32
*Completed Story* The class was assigned to brew a complicated ageing potion, and Harry was stuck with Malfoy as his pair. What happens when somethin...
179K 7.3K 16
Stiles Stilinski, fresh out of Culinary School, just got his dream job. A personal chef. When he gets hired to cook for a wealthy elderly couple in B...
6.1K 296 28
When Harry wanders into a brand new cafe that has just opened on the outskirts of Muggle London, he notices something peculiar about one of the worke...