Haven

By DarleneMilner

A sentient planet draws a selected Earthlings to be saved from their own doomed world. This series starts wit... More

Chapter 1 Aftermath of a Crash
Chapter 2 First Morning
Chapter 3 Wreckage?
Chapter 4 Waking Second Morning
Chapter 5 Worriers
Chapter 6 Exploring
Chapter 8 Indoor Holiday
Chapter 9 The Next Trio
Chapter 10 Last to Awake, First to Bed
Chapter 11 Three More to Sleep
Chapter 12 First to Awake, Last to Sleep
Chapter 13 Romance Blossoms
Chapter 14 Three Groups Share
Chapter 15 The Golden Girls
Chapter 16 Something Whispered
Chapter 17 Reception
Chapter 18 Old Geezers
Chapter 19 ADOLESCENTS
Chapter 20 IN THE CAVE
Chapter 21 INHUMANITY
Chapter 22 INTEGRATION

Chapter 7 Gassed

3 0 0
By DarleneMilner

"Stop kidding around!" Henry said, but Anna was already down on the floor with Adam trying to rouse him.

"Something is wrong!" Anna called. "Look at his color! He is clammy and cold!"

Judy had put down the bowl she was carrying and checking Adam's eyes and looking him over. "He is grey as a ghost!"

Anna patted his cheek and hands. "Come back to us, Adam. What happened to him, Robert?" She began to wonder if it could have had to do with the thawing process. Maybe she had not done it right.

"We had just finished the last home and were sitting on the ground drinking coffee. Haven whispered to us to come here, that you needed us. She did say to hurry. But I thought that it meant that food was ready. Just as we got here, there was a very funny smell." While Robert was talking, they were moving Adam to Anna's bed, and Anna went about picking up this instrument and that.

"Well, he's still breathing. Pulse is thready. He seems in shock. Where's that tank of oxygen, oh, here it is." Anna was searching in the first aid closet and found all she needed. Robert saw she had more than she could carry and helped her back to the bed with it. Judy placed the oxygen mask over Adam's nose and mouth and started airflow for him. Beth remembered how the scan worked and ran it and read the numbers to Anna as she got to them.

"Adam seems to have been gassed!" Anna stated. "Robert, what has happened? If you smelled it, why didn't you faint?

"I was way in here when I got the whiff. I feel slightly woozy but not too bad, really."

"Run the scan on him too, Beth." Anna paused and thought, 'I wonder if this is what Haven wanted us to avoid?'

The scan on Robert was a little off, and so Anna had him lay back on Judy's bed. She found another oxygen tank, and the girls set him up with it.

"Let's take a look at the internal specs and see if there is any gas still in here."

Judy found the air sensor on the wall and read the specs from that. "Looks like we're okay in here. Adam must have been out there just a moment too long. Oh, look, his color is coming back now." Judy said.

Anna went and felt his face. "Yes, his skin is much better." Adam, how are you feeling?"

Adam groaned a bit and seemed a little dazed at first but soon was focusing on the group. "Actually, I feel pretty good now. I'm famished!"

"Suck just a bit more oxygen to equalize that gas, and we'll go eat," Anna said as Beth took another scan of both Adam and Robert.

"They are okay now," Beth stated. "So what was it you had to tell us, Anna?"

"Let's go back into the kitchen and eat."

***

Once they were all up and eating, Anna took time between bites to tell them about her adventure with Shea and how she was sent away so quickly.

"It wasn't as though Haven told me what was happening or how bad it was going to be; just that we needed to hurry and go home to be safe. And you were told just to get here, thinking that Haven just wanted us to eat together?"

Up till now, this planet had surprised them with how she could heal or fix things for them. But this particularity puzzled them all. Why wouldn't she have made sure to make them move faster or stop whatever it was that caused the gas to happen? Adam had suffered due to something on her. What could it mean? Would there be any long-term effects? They sat and discussed these questions. Each one had a theory, and each one had another problem to disprove it. But soon, the food was gone. They were satisfied; the kitchen cleaned up.

"Well, now what?" Anna asked. "When do you suppose it is okay to go out there?"

***

The group was tired of sitting in the kitchen and so wandered into the bedroom. There they saw a partial answer. There were a sofa arrangement and extra beds with plenty of comforts for all. It was a little crowded, but it was apparent that the guys were to spend the night at least. There was a cube table in the middle of the sofa set that contained games, puzzles to work with, and books to read. They deducted they were going to stay there for a while. Haven was still doing her best to keep them safe and comfortable. Haven must have her reasons, and they must trust. And the lesson learned is that when she says move it, you move it as if your life depends on it! They knew Adam was alive despite himself and because of her.

***

"So what do we have here?" Henry asked. He always seemed to be the first to have fun. In fact, that had always been the problem between him and Anna. Anna had always wanted to be serious, try to make sure everything was perfect, done correctly. Henry could get away with murder, and people would love him. He could charm Angels to help him do the dirtiest evilest act. Of course, they were never really morally wrong, just sometimes slightly bent ethically.

Henry pulled out the cube items one by one, games they haven't played since childhood. "Well, which one first? Is everyone in?"

"Sure."

"Why not?"

"How about Monopoly? Can't go wrong with THAT!" Robert piped in. "But I get to be the spaceship!"

One by one, they chose their piece; the dice were tossed for predicting plays' order.

"Yeah! Me first!" Henry crowed in triumph as if he'd already won the game.

***

Anna groaned but was a good sport and played along. She was glad to see that her brother was not only alive but in such good spirits. She realized what a hole it would be in her life if he weren't along and knew it would devastate her if something had happened to him. She knew she needed his playful spirit to keep her from herself. Obviously, Haven thought so, too.

At first, the game was just about moving their little piece from this square to that, then buying this plot or that. As the third go-around occurred, it was beginning to get quite competitive.

Judy and Beth had never been of competitive natures, so they soon sold out to others in the game. Adam was still feeling a little woozy, so he bowed out. That left Anna battling it out with Robert and Henry.

***

Adam sat on a chair in another part of the room. He leafed through a book he had found in the cube.

Beth and Judy walked into the kitchen to get some snacks. "What do you think of all of this, Judy?"

"Beth, there have been so many weird things happen since we got here; I am beginning to try NOT to think about it and just let it flow."

"Why do you think that the gas only affected Adam? Do you think he is okay? He seems a little ill still."

"We probably need to watch him. Here, help me with this tray. I'll get the other. When we settle down, let's grab some entertainment for ourselves and sit where we can see him. Okay?"

"Don't you think it is amazing how Haven knows what we need right down to letting out our crazy partying selves?"

"It sure is!" The two were walking back into the main room as the noise level jumped a few decibels. Henry had just bought out Robert and was gloating.

"Look at those two! I don't think I've ever seen such sibling rivalry!" commented Judy.

"And yet such deep love for each other!" Robert said as he came to help the girls with the trays. They made sure there were plenty of snacks in front of the remaining players and then set the rest in the little conversational area.

"Well, there's another stretch!" Robert said. "This room has gone from a small bedroom for three to three full and separate rooms, and none of us noticed the change!"

***

Each seat of the conversational pit had a table to hold snacks and enough room for whatever each occupant wanted to use for the duration. Robert, Beth, and Judy took turns rummaging through the tables for things they wanted to do.

Then it was Beth's turn; she let out an "Ooooh!" She pulled out sheet music for her new instrument. As she brought it to the chair she chose, she saw that her new musical instrument also laid there. How could she resist?

The others in the room were delighted to have the music playing; even if she was still learning and had to go back and practice phrases, it was a beautiful sound that brought a certain peacefulness to the room.

Even so, the Monopoly battle continued, changes around the combatants unnoticed. Meanwhile, Robert found a book that he had promised himself to read someday, so he got cozy in a chair and eased into the literary world.

***

Judy found a large journal and colored pens and pencils. The lightly lined journal made it so that she could write or draw accordingly; it was perfect. She curled up in her chair and started drawing. First, she drew their landing area on Haven. Then she drew another of their first morning with two suns shining. She drew a picture of a before and after of High Council. Then the small city as she remembered it before their swim.

Now she decided to narrow it all down to the suns and how they looked at different times. Then their home itself, from the front door to the showers and canteen and how it had changed now.

Judy was fascinated. Their whole environment changed and adapted to each of them in less than a week. She spent time writing her memories and how it felt and realized how important it was to record this.

She thought of her days back on Earth, and her days in school were how her grandfather taught her to love plants and animals. He pointed out nature's quirks as he walked her through his gardens and on trips through the zoo. He was so influential on whom she was to become just by who he was.

She thought of the first time he showed her carnations and their many varieties and how wonderfully they smelled. She marveled at how often carnations had played during significant events of her life, including his funeral.

How amazing, she thought, that Haven picked that flower from her brain to welcome her that first morning. She started drawing the flowers as she remembered them around their new home. She drew different angles of individual flowers and petals from her memory. Then she saw the differences from the "real" carnation from Earth. She realized then that if Haven had plucked them from her brain solely, there would not have been these differences. Were these plants natives growing as plants did on Earth? Were these copies pulled from all their minds?

At any rate, she recorded her thought and feelings. Then she drew depictions of as many flora and fauna as she could remember on their walk to the beach that morning.

Then Judy thought of the conversations between High Council and the Mobile Earthlings, and the few direct communications with Haven herself. She remembered that their answers lay in just touching the ground and asking. She wondered why they had not done that when Adam first fainted. Nor did they bother to ask how long they were to remain inside. They had assumed Haven was caring for them and would let them know when they ran out of things to do. Or when they thought to ask? Could it be?

***

She ran to the kitchen as she did not want to disturb the others in their reveries and games. In the kitchen, she knelt down and then sat right on the floor. "Haven," she asked. "How long are we to stay in here?" Haven quickly put into her mind 'two days.'

"What happened to Adam? Is he going to be okay? Did anyone else get affected?" She felt the equivalent of a laugh.

"One at a time, child! To accommodate all the plants and animals here, I need to put out this gas to help some. Unfortunately, what helps some hurts others. It is the gas that enhances all. It prevented you from a crash landing as I could send it out just before gravity took effect. Because of that, you three were enhanced before you even became conscious. While gentling you and the explosion victims (High Council) down, I was able to sort through and chose you, Anna, and Beth as my leaders. Therefore you had the most exposure to the gas. Since you were unconscious, you didn't have to deal with the ill effects, at first, as Adam has had to."

"But what about Robert? Why did he only get a little?"

"He was exposed on the way down as the cryo-tank had cracked open slightly. I resealed it when I felt he had had enough."

"Well, Henry then; what happened to him?"

"Henry was already enhanced by Earth."

"Earth enhances?

"Long ago, she did. But when people started ignoring her spirits, she found that the enhancements merely made problems rather than solve them. So she reserved it for a very few who stayed in touch with her. Tree huggers, naturalists, and the more basic cultures and religions still received it and knew it. You knew it in your grandfather, his gardens, and zoos. You knew it as it came on you, but no one could tell you what it was. You are very special, Judy, as you are a double-blessed.

When this period of enhancement is over, High Council will call for another meeting. They will set up the missions for all of you. But I must remind you of what you already know, you, Anna, and Beth are my chosen ones. You are the ones in charge. As what happened on Earth, others will try to take that power or assume to know why they are better suited to take the lead, but none of you will learn all the reasons. I chose you three because of what I know. High Council will exalt, embrace, and support you. As Robert, Henry, and Adam have already learned to remain your guardians, friends, mates, and helpers; so each group of cryo's will learn your place and their missions. Namaste, Judy."

Judy was overwhelmed with all the news she had just heard. Still, she managed a most earnest, "Namaste, Haven."

***

Pulling herself up off the floor, yet feeling the inner warmth of Haven. Still, Judy realized she might be missed and needed to get back into the main room. She knew she wasn't ready to talk about what had just happened and needed some time to digest it all. She chose instead to whip up another tray of goodies.

As she came through the door, she nearly fell from the blast of a shriek and a crash. Anna and Henry were standing.

"Yahoo! That is the first time I have ever won with you!" Henry was ecstatic.

"Congratulations, brother, but did you have to soak me?" The game and all its pieces had crashed to the floor, and in that same moment, Anna found herself splashed with the cold drink she had been enjoying. The friends laughed so hard at this mock foray that they did not notice Judy come through with her tray. They did not see the glow around her either. But neither had she.

"Well, Anna, go clean up and come back for a refresher!" Judy managed to get out between chuckles.

Adam was up with the rest as they stood for a quick toast to Henry. Only Beth and Judy heard the inner wink from Anna. But they did not need that acknowledgment to know that Anna had let Henry win. Judy sent Anna a blessing as she knew that this was a change for the better for Anna. Anna knew she no longer had to be perfect or be known as the best at everything. The most important lesson for her was enjoying her brother and his wonderful personality.

"I am so blessed to have such a smart and fun brother! And don't tell him how handsome he is as it might go to his head!" She said during her quick speech.

"Here, here!" They all toasted.

"I know I will never be as smart as Anna, but I toast the challenge she has always given me and the sport with which she let me win this time!" He said as he held up his glass. The warmth between them seemed to melt away the years of rivalry, and they both knew their bond beyond blood. Their spirits united in a way usually saved for best of friends.

As the toasting and cheering died a warm death, the group sat in the conversation pit and spent a long moment just enjoying each other's company. There was a moment of silence where they all were exchanging glances. "What is it, Judy? What do you know?" Anna asked.

Judy, surprised by the spotlight suddenly on her, knew now how much telepathy they all now shared. "I just did as we Haven asked. I had questions, and I sat down and had a conversation with Her. She wants us all to do that, you know. She is very open to each of us and has a message for all." Judy took a moment to compose herself. She wanted to make sure she said it right. Then Judy conveyed the messages as received. Near the end, she looked at Adam. "Adam, Haven has now joined you to the rest of us. Welcome! Welcome to us all!" she said as she held up the nearly empty glass. The group emptied their drinks, and with a suddenly solemn attitude, they turned to each other as a group and as individuals and bowed. "Namaste!"

They said nothing else. All six individuals went about the business ofgetting ready to sleep. Within ten minutes, there were six people sound asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

282 30 10
How the stars have entranced the earthlings from the beginning of their time... Not all of the stars are luminous and kind. To become a star, you mus...
598 17 20
To save their home, they must destroy another home. To save their planets, they must destroy Earth. But, as the humans are nearing defeat, a girl wil...
239 45 22
This will introduce a world I have built upon for several years. Since I am sharing the book via audiobook through Youtube, I might as well the whole...
1.5K 59 20
This is a story of powerful beings with different abilities: control the elements, read and manipulate minds, defend others, control nature and have...