Chapter 14 Three Groups Share

Give us a moment to get cleaned up, k? Barbara said, and she led the way to the showers. Moments later she and Laurie emerged from the girls side and Larry from the guys. Beth and Adam were amazed that they had not needed more than hand washing their work had not nearly been as grueling or messy.

Anyone who has every loved working with animals knows the attachment that forms. Even though this was only their second full day to be in with the animals, Larry, Laurie, and Barbara were full of stories and love for each of them.

I know that the rodents; the bunnies, the mice, and rats are going to be reptile food but I have fallen in love with the whole lot. I had hamsters when I was a girl, and so I am very acquainted with how much personality these little guys can show. I wish there were a way to keep a few for pets, those and all the cats and dogs. Maybe after Haven and the animals have acclimated, we can. I think there should be domestic animals in everyones homes. Barbara said.

Dont worry, said Adam. Haven knows that we all need our pets. She just needs to adjust Her flora and fauna to ours. It will take time, but it wont be long. It is your job to keep them all happy so that they will respond to humans in the ways of good pets.

They already are. It is so easy to love each and every one of them!

Well, at least you have the chance to take yours home someday! Laurie said with a pout. I love those rascally monkeys. They can be so loving one moment and then play such silly little tricks on you the next. Take how Stinker (you can imagine how he got that name!) came up to me when I first got to the monkey habitat and jumped up into my arms. He groomed my hair and kissed my cheek. He let me hold him the whole time I was feeding and taking care of their pens. Then at one point, I had to put him down and get the scoop to shovel some grain into the bin to combine and make the best combination for the mother. Stinker disappeared for a moment then as I turned around I realized he had stolen the other scoop and had put it up a tree. I know he was laughing at me as I was coaxing him down with it. I finally gave up because I had to go feed the other apes. Just then he came down with it and climbed back up into my arms. It was like he was apologizing.

And you know how an elephant never forgets? I think Elmo was a painter on Earth as he kept dipping into the trough and smearing water all over the floor. It looked like a pretty pattern. I think I am going to try to make sure to have art supplies for him next time. Larry said.

The zookeepers continued talking about every habitat. One could tell they loved their appointed jobs. But by the end of the conversation, one thing was very clear. They were going to need help.

Well, it isnt so much that its hard work, it is that we think we should spend more time with each of the animals and teach them what we can about Haven. They seem to have more intelligence here than they did on Earth. I dont think it would be fair to anyone to just feed and care for their physical needs only. I think we need to wake more helpers. What do you think, Adam, should we talk to Anna about it when she gets back? Barbara asked.

Speaking of Anna Look it is dark out now. What do you suppose we ought to do? Laurie pointed toward the sky outside the window.

***

Larry was already on the ground. He knew who had the answers and he was wasting no time finding them.

Haven says the team is ok. They got a little sidetracked but should be back soon. As for more people, she wants three new people every day for a week. By next week this time, there will be thirty people eating in the mess hall. Haven is excited to get as many of us awake as possible but She feels that we still need to go slow as Her enhancements need to work on each one along with the education we must give them on what has happened. And then we must make the chore divisions. She says she will communicate with Anna as to who needs to be awakened and in what order.