Who We Were | ✓

By happierplaces

[ COMPLETED ] a short story Like every high school student would dream of, Everly Clark and Ricardo Hans had... More

who we were
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
epilogue
final note

prologue

4.5K 357 595
By happierplaces

song: i'm not the only one - sam smith

. . .

Everly Clark

DO YOU believe in fate? How about love? Miracles, second chances?

There are many mistakes in my life I would change. Even many times where I regretted choices. Let's take the time when I decided not to study for my Pre-Calculus test. Or the time that I fell asleep during my Pre-Calculus test.

But, there is one mistake that I would never stop regretting. I would do anything to go back to that day and change that stupid, not so little, mistake that ruined my life. Even now, the guilt is eating me alive.

9 years ago

A soft giggle escaped my lips as I watched my parents attempting to cook. I shook my head playfully and grabbed a chocolate chip granola bar, taking a small bite.

Mom smiled wistfully at me; her alert eyes rimmed red and bags under her eyes, "Hey Evy,"

My smile faltered a bit, looking sympathetically at both of their states. This has been the schedule for a couple of months, them leaving late at night and returning early in the morning looking like literal crap.

"H-Hey mom," I smiled, taking another bite of the granola bar. Dad put his face in his hands, mumbling something under his breath.

I opened my mouth to ask them if there was something was wrong, but was interrupted by the blaring horn of a car. I instantly smiled, knowing exactly who it was- my boyfriend. I waved to both my parents, grabbing my backpack and running out the door.

Ricky's family rightfully owned a huge interior design company, which made millions. Both of Ricky's parents were quite the money makers, both independent and incredibly strong. Enzo and Jessica Hans, however, were the most kind-hearted parents ever, both caring in every way possible.

I grinned wider, running to him and opening the door, taking a seat, "Why, hello,"

My one and only boyfriend, Ricky Hans and his younger sister Veronica Hans. Ricky smiled, his tousled limp dirty blonde hair causing him to look extremely attractive at the moment.

He looked down at my lips, before softly pecking them, "Hey Ev,"

I sighed gently and laid against the seat, smiling radiantly at how incredibly perfect he was. How incredibly perfect we were.

. . .

The moment I stepped into my house I just knew something was wrong, the air was tense and dangerously quiet. I frowned thoughtfully and strategically placing my belongings down, walking over to the living room.

My breath caught at the astonishing sight in front of me, both my parents had tears furiously streaming down their bright swollen cheeks. What shocked me the most was the fact that there were two men holding guns right beside their heads.

"Ah, this must be your beloved daughter," the third man broke the silence, twirling a cigar in his fingers, "My apologies, this must be shocking for you."

Chills ran down my spine, as I continued to gape at them in pure fear and shock. I opened my mouth to say anything, something.

"Allow me to explain," he said, his plump lips curling up, showing off his awful yellow teeth, "Your parents here, owe me some money. Well, they've owned me some money for months, but I'm a generous man and have let it passed,"

"However, as the months passed the amount of money only grew and in the end they now owe me one million dollars," he paused, glaring at my parents, "So sweetheart, both your parents had lost their jobs ages ago and now gamble all day, every day."

I didn't know what to feel. In fact, I believe what I was feeling didn't even have a word to accurately describe it. Hurt. Anger. Fear. Anxiety.

I promptly turned my head to look earnestly at both my parents, my mother looking instantly ashamed and my father showing absolutely no genuine emotion.

"But no worries, I can give them one more day in exchange for you," he smiled wickedly, a series of wrinkles forming on his forehead.

"Scottie no!" Mom cried out, "Please, she's innocent!"

. . .

Scottie forced me into my room, ignoring my fierce screams and useless kicks.

"Let go of me you bastard!" I screamed hysterically, adrenaline taking over for me. I picked up the first visible thing I could find, which much to my despair, was a metal water bottle.

"Shh, let's make this easy," he muttered, eagerly taking off his belt. Not being able to help myself I promptly threw the bottle, naturally making it hit the top of his head. He glared fiercely at me and stormed over to me.

Snatching me by my ponytail and hurling me onto the bed, he clutched both my wrists tightly together on top of my head, "You little-,"

I kicked as hard as I could, screaming loudly for help. I knew by heart I was done for. I was helpless. No matter how hard I genuinely tried.

I've constantly thought about how I would lose my virginity. How Ricky and I would book a luxurious room just for the two of us. However, I never, ever thought I would've lost it this way.

. . .

You would think someone would undergo something after being raped. Anything, ineffable sadness or maybe even anger.

Me? I felt nothing, absolutely nothing. Which was pretty surprising considering the fact that I was the biggest emotional baby out there.

I endured nothing when getting used and then tossed like trash, against my pleas.

I felt nothing when my parents had given me specific instructions to help destroy my boyfriends family, to help mine.

"Alright Everly, I've contacted Phillipe, he's been wanting to take down the Hans company for a while now," Dad revealed, not looking at me, "All you need to do is go with him to Ricky's house and take him to Enzo's office, you're the only one who has the key to his home and his office."

I looked at him with pain, "D-Dad,"

"Do it," he replied in a hard tone.

. . .

Present

Out of everything I had planned to do in my life, ruining the one mans life who had loved, supported, and treated me like an absolute queen. Just like that, I had helped this Phillipe guy ruin one family's hard work in order to save mine.

Nine freaking years and that day never left my mind. Nine years, the unforgettable memory of Scottie destroying my innocence never leaving my head. Nine years and Ricardo Hans never leaving my mind.

Til' this day, I feel nothing but unspeakable sadness and fear. Sometimes anger but at no one but myself.

Nine years.

. . .

a/n: i hope you all enjoyed this chapter! i physically felt depressed while writing it !!

it saddens me that people have actually gone through shit like this. if you ever need help or know someone who needs help please contact a trusted adult or call your local hotlines.

please keep smiling lovlies, you all deserve the world !!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.8K 1.3K 5
"A single moment of misunderstanding is so poisonous, that it makes us forget the hundred lovable moments spent together... within a minute." "You ma...
51 1 10
Just like what they always say... true love does really exist... It gives you the highest ecstasy... absolute bliss... but... the reality is that...
38.5K 2.1K 24
*** Disclaimer*** **Not a Dave East or Megan thee stallion fanfic** I just like them so.... ENJOYY Suffering from PTSD took over his life, hiding it...
759 182 46
In the midst of overwhelming sorrow and isolation, Everly, a determined 17-year-old, sets out to rediscover her inner strength and identity. She stri...