Beautiful, Beautiful

By CharlayMarieWrites

**** From the 2016 Watty Award winning author of White Fire**** Burst into this fantasy fairytale and journey... More

Born of Beauty
The Village
Crow
No Privacy
Meeting the King
Silver and Gold
The Welcoming Ball
Under the Castle
The Dance
A Garden of Schemes
Christian
Tea for Two
Happy Birthday
A Warning
The King's Library
Betrothed

George

3.5K 276 139
By CharlayMarieWrites

Sounds of clashing metal cut through the wind's current, drifting to where Sun sat. She'd been enjoying the quiet day ever since the king had left her standing in the garden. On her way back into the castle, her hangover began to trouble her and she found a quiet, unvisited bench on the far side of the castle grounds. She had gladly taken a seat and spent rest of the hour enjoying the morning view. And as the gentle breeze caressed her light blonde hair and cheeks, she dared not think of anything but the song of the blue jay that lived in the tree behind her cottage. She sang the tune soft enough that no one heard, and she allowed each note to soothe her troubled heart.

The king had suggested for her to deeply consider Prince Charming as her husband. That would also entail her being the next queen of Noch. The idea frightened her more than death, and she shuttered each time she thought about the possibility of it happening. 

She could admit to herself that the prince was indeed charming. She could imagine running her hands through his thick, light brown hair - some would even say it was a dirty blonde. And she could certainly see herself falling in love if given enough time alone with him. But she also knew what the curse said and she was too afraid to ruin the world than to imagine a happy life as a queen.

The sound of iron against iron crashed into her thoughts, and she became hyper aware of her surroundings. Yards away, on the back of the building, a battle had been waged. Sun stood up, following the sound. She rounded the side of the castle and headed toward the open field in the back of the castle. 

She paused at the sight of the two princes dueling and quietly ran to the side of the castle, hiding herself from view. Sun leaned against the flagstone, her heart raging inside of her chest. She didn't want to be caught, and yet she had a strong desire to watch them.

And so, Sun peered around the castle's edge, her eyes immediately taking in their bare chests and shimmering swords.

Crow's weapon sliced through the air, lethal and skilled. Christian blocked the blow with his own, but Crow had been too strong. Christian was on the ground within seconds, panting and frustrated.

"Again." Crow commanded, stretching his arms as Christian slowly rose to his feet. They were both muscular, both extremely attractive, but Sun couldn't help who her eyes were drawn to the most.

"Must we continue?" Prince Christian asked. He was covered in fresh sweat and his light brown hair stuck to his forehead. "We already know I won't beat you in battle."

"It's not about beating me, Christian. It's about knowing how to protect yourself. Again!" Crow didn't give Christian a chance to raise his sword before he struck out.

Christian managed to spin away from the blow and at the last minute, their swords collided, sending violent sparks into the air. Christian kicked out. Crow sidestepped him with ease. Their swords were raised again. Christian panted, his eyes filled with passion. Crow was calm and collected, his face revealing nothing.

He was a blur as he struck Christian in stomach with the handle of his sword. The impact made Sun jump away from the scene, but she was back in a second, watching Christian groan as he fell to the ground, dropping his sword. He swore as he looked up at Crow who towered above him.

"Again," was all Crow said as he backed away. He shook the wetness from his hair and sweat dripped down the hard curves in his broad shoulders, traveling lower and lower until each drop disappeared below his waistline.

"You never fight me this hard," Christian said, standing to his feet. He swiped at the hair stuck to his forehead and then spit. Blood sprayed the lawn. "What's triggered your temper, brother?"

Crow said nothing as he advanced, but Christian quickly backed away. "I'm done fighting. I've had enough."

"I didn't say you could leave," Crow growled.

"Oh?" Christian laughed as he advanced his brother. "Is that how you speak to your future king?"

Crow smirked, but he lowered his sword. "You may very well be king one day, but you are still my little brother."

His words struck a nerve as Christian closed the space between them. They were the same height, nearly the same build, but they were more opposite than similar. Christian had been raised to fight with his mind; Crow had been raised to fight with his hands.

Christian was now inches from Crow's unwavering smirk. "What is it that you want, Crow? Are you still upset with me because I convinced father to bring the girl here?"

"Her name is Sun."

"I know her name," Christian spat. "She's all I've thought about since I first laid eyes on her. But why do you care so much?"

"I care because she doesn't belong here."

"Says the one who brought her back! If you ask me, she is exactly where she belongs. This castle is the best chance she has of a decent life." Christian sighed as he moved away from his brother and changed the subject. "Did father tell you about the king of Estra? He's heard about Sun and plans to visit. Father doesn't think the king plans to return home, empty handed."

Crow tensed. "Isn't he married?"

"His gift is greed. He sees it, he likes it, he takes it. He already has three wives and is rumored to be looking for a fourth," Christian explained. "He is an evil man and will rage a war if he likes what he sees and doesn't get her."

"What's father planning to do?" Crow asked.

"He hasn't shared his plans with me just yet."

"Lies," Crow spat. "I've always been able to smell them on you."

"What you smell is your own jealousy," Christian argued. "It must feel bad knowing war may be brewing and you have no clue what your father plans. I thought that being head of command granted you certain rights? Maybe he is losing faith in you."

Crow laughed. "The only time father keeps me out of his plans is when he knows I'll go against them. You two can keep your little secrets. I have my own."

"You've always been quite the rebel," Christian sneered. He picked his sword up and stalked away, leaving Crow standing alone.

Sun quietly watched as he ran a hand through his dark hair. He glanced down at the sword in his hand and threw it into the tall bushes. His breathing was heavy as he turned away and began walking toward her, his eyes traveling from the ground to where she stood. Sun's eyes were wide as he paused, taking in the sight of her. Before he could say anything, she slipped away, running back to side doors that led to her room.

The castle was oddly quiet as Sun made her way through the passageways. Her head still ached from the hangover and she wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep and not be interrupted by her maids. She hadn't gotten the chance to truly rest from the two day trip to the castle and had high hopes of resting well.

She passed a lone knight, perched against the wall next to an enormous golden door. She studied the handiwork as she passed, admiring the carvings in the metal, such small details like fine jewels. She nodded at the knight as she passed and kept walking. The knight began to move and she felt him at her back. Panic rose in her throat like the leftover bile from the night before. She quickly spun toward the guard in defense.

"Who are you and why are you following me?" she asked.

"It's me," the knight said while taking his helmet off. "George."

Sun gasped as she took in the sight of her brother. He was older than she remembered, with a beard and mustache masking his handsome features. Those once boyish eyes were now hardened by duty, his forehead lined with stress, his thin lips shaped with worry. Her heart almost collapsed as she took him in.

She pulled him into a deep hug, not caring that his metal shields bit into her skin. "I've missed you so much!"

"You shouldn't be here," was all he said in return.

"It's not by choice," Sun explained, letting go of him to meet his hard gaze. "I-"

"Save yourself the explanation. I received word from father this morning. How could you, Sun? Do you have any idea how bad you hurt Cale? It'll take him weeks to recover and father needs him working. You've cost father so much money by pulling your little stunt. And for what? So that you could come here and pretend to be a princess? Doesn't the curse mean anything to you?"

"Cale's hurt?" It was all she could focus on.

"Don't play silly, Sun. You know what you did to him."

"Exactly what did I do?"

"You bashed his hand with a rock because he tried to prevent you from running away!"

"Lies!" Sun retorted. "I didn't bash his hand in, George. I swear it. And I most certainly didn't run away!"

"Then why are you here?"

"Because," Sun groaned. "Cale tried to hurt me and I ran from him. I...then ran into Prince Crow, and he brought me back to the castle against my will. George I promise I never-"

"Sun, we all know how much you hated that cottage. You were counting down the hours until you could run off. I suppose keeping you hidden was pointless, as the prophecy is inevitable. But did you have to harm Cale?"

"I didn't, George!"

"And now father is an absolute wreck. He could barely stand losing mother, and now he has to lose you."

"He lost me the day he locked me in that cottage!" Sun yelled. "And Cale lost me the day he tried to hurt me. And you...well, I suggest you think wisely like the king you guard so dearly. You might lose me as well."

Sun spun away from him and hurried down the hall. She couldn't stomach the idea that Cale had turned their family against her. She couldn't stand being ridiculed by her older brother.

"Sun!" George called from behind her. The sorrow laced in his deep voice was enough to make her stop, but she didn't turn to him. She wouldn't.

"I'll do my best to protect you. I'll be your eyes and ears in the castle. I'll guard you as if it was my duty. But I need you to promise me something in return. Promise me that you'll stay away from the princes. You know what the curse says."

Sun thought back to what the king had suggested to her and the image of Prince Christian was all she saw. "It appears I don't have any control in that matter," she told him, her voice cold and distant. "And if you were my brother, you'd watch out for me regardless. It appears as if everyone I love is absolutely heartless. Thanks for nothing, brother."

Sun stormed away, and as she left, she thought of the king's last words.

Prince Christian is a fine, young man, and he will be a fine king. It would also be wise for you to understand what that could possibly mean for you.

She was beginninng to consider that offer, even if it was out of spite. Even if her choice would damn them all.

So be it.

Next chapter is titled "Christian". You will also get to see what he looks like.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 38.9K 58
Princess Nymeria is well aware that her kingdom is in decline. It has been for hundreds of years after all. Unlike her ancestors, she's willing to re...
211K 8.5K 50
(Male Yandere Demons x Female Reader) You are just a normal high school girl living a normal life. . . . Until your life is not normal anymore. ____...
53.1K 4K 51
In their previous life, taehyung had been overweight. His face was covered in acne. Yet jungkook still forcefully ate him up. Exactly how much did h...