Glee: To the Next Level (the...

By arias3

With all of its original members gone, the glee club must struggle to survive at McKinley High School. Having... More

To The Next Level [Glee FanFic #2]
Chapter 1: Excited
Chapter 2: Trio
Chapter 3: Britney x3
Chapter 4: Rite of Passage
Chapter 5: Payback's a Bree
Chapter 6: Hot N' Cold
Chapter 7: Awkward
Chapter 8: Complicated
Chapter 9: Over
Not a Chapter-- QUESTION TIME ^_^
Chapter 11: Adams-Wilde vs Hart-Brown
Chapter 12: Misunderstandings
Chapter 13: The End of the Beginning
Chapter 14: The Fall Musical
Chapter 15: War for a Role
Chapter 16: Resurface
Chapter 17: Never Set Me Free
Chapter 18: Halloween Bash
Chapter 19: Burning Up
Chapter 20: Hairspray
Chapter 21: Friend or Foe
Chapter 22: Revelations
Chapter 23: Duets and Vulnerabilities
Chapter 24: Birthday
Chapter 25: Replacement
Chapter 26: Competition
Chapter 27: Generosity
Chapter 28: Feliz Navidad and a Happy New Year
Chapter 29: Eye of the Tiger
Chapter 30: The Creative Process
Chapter 31: Film Do-It's
Chapter 32: Guilty Pleasures
Chapter 33: New Information
Chapter 34: Right Where You Want Me
Chapter 35: Before You Go
Chapter 36: King of Laziness
Chapter 37: That 70s Show
Chapter 38: Decades Dance
Chapter 39: The Next Forty Minutes
Chapter 40: Valentine Grams
Chapter 41: A Time for Love
Chapter 42: Addicted to Love
Chapter 43: Project Popularity
Chapter 44: The Girls' Demands
Chapter 45: One End and Two Beginnings
Chapter 46: Sorting Hat
Chapter 47: One Week
Chapter 48: The Girlfriend
Chapter 49: The Show
Chapter 50: Finale
Chapter 51: New Girl
Chapter 52: Cheerleaders and Angels
Chapter 53: Regionals
Chapter 54: Denial
Chapter 55: Anger
Chapter 56: Fed Up
Chapter 57: Bargaining
Chapter 58: Back to the Beginning
Chapter 59: Poor Unfortunate Souls
Chapter 60: Boys Will Be Boys
Chapter 61: The Full Killing Machine
Chapter 62: Picnic
Chapter 63: Looking For Salvation
Chapter 64: Wonderland
Chapter 65: Downward
Chapter 66: Getting Involved
Chapter 67: Depression
Chapter 68: Change
Chapter 69: Before Prom
Chapter 70: Prom
Chapter 71: After Prom
Chapter 72: The Drinking Game
Chapter 73: No Habla Español
Not a Chapter-- READERS' CHOICE ^_^
Chapter 74: The Super Secret of the Super Devious Super Girl
Chapter 75: Know Your Enemy
Chapter 76: Whatever Comes Next
Chapter 77: The Only Way is Up
Chapter 78: Crazy
Chapter 79: Harlie
Chapter 80: Late Night Bonding
Chapter 81: Athens of the South
Chapter 82: Fly Away
Chapter 83: Superlatives
Chapter 84: One, Two, Three
Chapter 85: Graduation
Character Contest

Chapter 10: Legacy

4K 101 12
By arias3

Over two weeks passed since the most embarrassing dinner of my life and I still couldn't get over how awkward that was. Now it was the first Monday of October and I had so much going on that adding that to my plate of worries seemed inconsequential. Only it wasn't. Nobody could know. At least that's what I had requested.

"No worries," Dan had told me that day as we walked out of the restaurant. "Nobody has to know about this unless you want them to."

"It's not that I'm, like, embarrased of you or anything," I assured him. "I just would much rather not have to answer everyone's questions."

And he understood. So we dropped it. And for two weeks, we kept it a secret.

Now, I walked into school followed by Bree and Carrie, from the squad as we ran into Kitty and John.

"Hey girls!" Kitty chimed.

"Oh..." murmured Bree. "Um hi... We'll, uh, talk later."

That was yet another addition to the awkwardness between John and me. Awkwardness with Kitty. I begged the other girls not to be weird about it, but they all came to an agreement that Kitty had chosen John over me by not breaking it off. I totally did not agree but once a cheer-cision has been made, it's hard to override it. Especially with Bree on board.

"I don't want to be mean to her," Bree said as we walked off. "Believe me, that's not the intention at all. I just think it's a little insensitive of her to strike a conversation with you while she's standing there in his arms. It's just not cool, you know?"

"It's whatever," I assured her. But a part of me did feel that way. I did miss John, the old John at least, but I couldn't really blame Kitty for wanting to be with her boyfriend. 

Pretty soon we passed by Joe, who was in front of a poster with his face on it, telling us to vote for him in the upcoming presidential election. He turned and saw us watching him, startled.

"Oh, hey ladies," he said with a smile.

"You're running for president?" Bree asked.

"Well, yeah," he said. "I really dig helping others, you know, so I thought what better way then to carry out the legacy of fellow glee club members."

***

"Legacy," Mr. Schue said as he wrote the word on the board that day during lunch. "I just got the greatest news. Joe has informed me he signed up as student body president and he has made it to the final level."

"Elections are happening already?" said Kitty.

"At the end of the week," Joe said with a proud nod as he stood.

"The last two years," said Mr. Schue, "the school president came from this room. Actually, so did the runner ups and vice presidents."

Bree did not like the sound of that, given by the look she gave me.

"Hopefully I can count on everyone in this room to keep that going," Joe said as he grabbed his guitar. "But just in case you need more convincing, here's my main running point. I want everyone at this school to feel like they have the power to make change and I want to represent the voice inside every single student."

The music began and Joe had his usual intense look on.

Joe: Now in a world where innocence is quickly claimed... It's so hard to stand your ground when you're so afraid...

He continued with the song and I didn't really get how it connected to his message until the very last line.

Joe: Young girl don't cry. I'll be right here when your world starts to fall.

Most of us clapped for him and he thanked us in advance for our support.

"Do you have a running mate yet?" Ryder asked him.

"No, why?" said Joe. "Are you interested?"

"I think Ryder would make an excellent VP," Marley vouched for him.

"Why?" said Kitty. "The only things he and Sam, last year's VP, had in common were dyslexia and their girlfriend."

I blushed and glared at Kitty. 

"Seriously," said Bree. "Why is it that every year has to be ruled by guys or girls who know absolutely nothing?"

"Yeah," said Kitty, "who's running against you, Joe?"

"I am," Unique spoke up. We all turned to her, surprised.

"You weren't at the candidate meeting last week," said Joe. "Actually, I was the only one there."

"I was sick," Unique explained. "Anyway, I want to work to make McKinley a place that's equal for anyone and everyone. Regarless of age, gender, race, economic status..."

"I'll be your VP," Bree said, raising her hand up.

"You?" asked Unique. "You're one of the reasons McKinley isn't an equal place to begin with."

Most of the room agreed. "Okay, okay," Bree said, "so I haven't been super nice to everyone in the past... But I'm super popular and can get you a bunch of votes."

"I don't want to win like that," said Unique, shaking her head. "Sorry Bree, but I'm going in a different direction."

"What about me?" said Kitty, raising her hand. "After I gave up my dress for Tina at last year's prom, I sort of shed my mean girl image. For the most part at least."

"Actually..." Unique murmured, contemplating the possibility. "Yeah, you know what, sure. Kitty, you're on board!"

"Seriously?" said Bree.

"I actually wanted to ask John to be my running mate," said Joe, quieting everyone. John and Kitty looked at each other.

"Umm..." John said, looking back at Joe. "I don't know... Uh, why me?"

"Well, we're good friends," said Joe. "We're both seniors. And we're both-"

"Guys," said Kitty. She smiled at John, "You aren't going to beat the queen and me so I don't see any harm in a little friendly competition, John."

John thought about it for a second and then looked at Joe. "Yeah, sure, why not?" he said. "As long as I'm not expected to start stripping like Sam did last year, I don't see why not."

***

"I don't know why you're upset," said Kitty. "You've been talking about the fact that the Cheerios need to win more for the last I don't know how many months and now when I agree to run you're mad?"

"Yeah," Bree responded. "Because I wanted to run for this. I'm single, I'm trying to be nice, and I'm bored."

"Well, I'm sorry," Kitty told her. "It's just that I didn't see there being a chance that you'd change Unique's mind. So I took it."

"Can you guys just shut up?" I mumbled. "You've been fighting about this all week. Can we just come up with a number already?" We were at my place, after school, trying to come up with a good number to do for the legacy challenge. It was, of course, going to be connected to the presidential election, so we had wanted to help Kitty out but Bree changed her mind.

"I'm going home," said Bree, getting up and leaving.

"Not before I do," Kitty retorted, also standing and heading for the door.

"Okay, glad we had fun," I said from the living room as I heard the front door slam shut. I turned back to my laptop and continued to skim through my music. What song left a legacy... I thought to myself. No, not what song, what artist! There were plenty of musical royalty to choose from. Beyonce, Madonna, Christina, Michael, Prince... 

I began to excitedly look through my songs when I finally saw the perfect number. But then I realized that I had no use for it. It was a great song but who would I recommend it to? Joe and John? Unique and Kitty? 

I wasn't sure what campaign I was going to sign onto, if any, so I decided to wait it out. However, the next day the political platforms had been literally spread across the school. 

This was in the form of posters. Everywhere. Posters with my friends' faces on them. Everywhere.

I was staring at one of Unique and Kitty when I turned around and almost crashed into John.

"They really are going for that minority vote, huh?" said John as he read the poster. It read: VOTE ADAMS-WILDE FOR YOUR VOICE TO BE HEARD, NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT BACKGROUND YOU COME FROM.

I looked at John for a second, surprised he had talked to me, and walked away. There was no way we'd be having a conversation. Finally, I bumped into Joe and I was able to ask what I would've asked John had I felt the need to speak to him directly.

"Hey," I said as he smiled at me. "I have a quick question."

"What's up?" he asked.

"I was just wondering," I began, "why should vote for you?"

And that was the question that sparked it all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 185 37
{sequel to our song} Santana and Rachel are back for their senior year but with a brand new personality. Will Finn be able to save Rachel from spira...
67.2K 2.1K 94
Blake Henley tries to navigate her way through high school. All she knows is that one day she wants to be on the big screen, but has no idea how to g...
55.7K 931 52
Sebastian Smythe was now apart of the New Directions along with Hunter, Nick, Jeff, and Thad. He apologized and did an embarrassing thing to get the...
13.4K 710 29
"Well, I don't like living under your spotlight. Maybe if you treat me right you won't have to worry." Violette Donovan and Quinn Fabray have always...