Summer Rain

By JJJiangx

[Includes Something about Summer & After Rain] Raine Evans had everything. Okay, maybe not. So she avoided he... More

Summer Rain
[1] Dynamite
[2] Young, Wild, and Free
[3] Live While We're Young
[4] Mr. Know It All
[5] Hit the Lights
[6] Tonight, Tonight
[7] Fall to Pieces
[8] We are Young
[9] Starships
[10] Two is Better than One
[11] Good Life
[12] Thunder
[13] Summer Girl
[14] Beat of My Heart
[15] Fireflies
[17] Irreplacable
[18] Pocket Full of Sunshine
[19] My Dilemma
[20] Only Fooling Myself
[21] Love Song (Part 1)
[21] Love Song (Part 2)
[22] Some Hearts
[23] Take Me Away
[24] Kiss You Inside Out
[25] Gotta Be You
[26] Anywhere But Here
[27] I Must Be Dreaming
[28] Decode
[29] Airplanes
[30] Alone Again
[31] Break My Heart
Epilogue
After Rain
[1] White Houses
[2] Here We Go Again
[3] Ship in the Dock
[4] I Hate Myself for Losing You
[5] All Too Well
[6] I Can't Breathe
[7] Catch My Breath
[8] Like We Used To
[9] Impossible
[10] Curiosity
[11] Just Give Me a Reason
[12] If This Was a Movie
[13] That's What You Get
[14] King of Anything
[15] Daylight
[16] Heart Attack
[17] Unwritten
[18] Fall
[19] Sweet Nothing
[20] One More Night
[21] Fallout
[22] Same Mistakes
[23] Alive
[24] Kiss Me Slowly
[25] I Need Your Love
[26] Looking Up
[27] Dark Side
[28] Endlessly
[29] Made in the USA
[30] Try
[31] Ever Enough
Epilogue
Extra: Forever and Ever
[18] Kaden's PoV: Secrets
Summer Rain Playlist & FAQ

[16] Love Life

55.9K 1.6K 378
By JJJiangx

Dedicated to PutSomethingIn because her comments always make me smile like crazy. :)

Picture of Blake on the side --->

--

I guess it hurts a bit,

But I'm over it, now.

Heartaches and mistakes,

How many hits can a good girl take?

I'm tired of hurting,

Slowly learning.

~Love Life- He Is We

      "I'll be fine! Will you relax?" That, was how my morning started. Kaden and I were back to doing what we did best, ignore the problem. Well, Kaden was ignoring it, and I was just trying to avoid him altogether.

      Unfortunately, he wouldn't leave me alone. All I wanted to do was bike downtown and do some shopping or exploring. Nothing weird or dangerous, really, but he was treating it as if I was about to walk into a gang fight or something.

      Kallie came down the stairs just as Kaden opened his mouth to respond. She didn't look bothered, instead just raised an eyebrow and waved. "Bro, BFF," She greeted, sounding casual; like this was something she saw every day. Then again, it probably was something she saw quite often.

      All of us immediately winced at her greeting. "Kallie, don't ever use abbreviations again," Kaden remarked, frowning at her.

      "Yeah, I don't think I will. Feels weird on my tongue," Kallie agreed.

      "Kallie, please get your illogically over-protective brother off my back," I begged her. Kallie looked between the Kaden and I with a calm look.

      "Alright, what's the problem?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. She sounded like one of those over priced shrinks my mom almost sent me to.

      "I just want to go downtown! He's not letting me!" I exclaimed, feeling my frustration return.

      "She could get attacked," Kaden protested. See, that was completely illogical. Who gets attacked here? Our death toll is lower than, um, it's just really low, alright?

      Kallie snorted. "Attacked? In our town? C'mon, Kade, be serious. What's the real reason?" She raised her eyebrows again, only this time, she was doing it in a mock suggestive manner. I glared at her. Yes, she had more or less taken my side, but seriously. Last part was not at all necessary.

      "Fine, don't blame me if you get murdered," Kaden said, ignoring Kallie's questions.

      I couldn't help but snicker at his response. "I can't blame you. I'd be dead," I replied, rolling my eyes. Kaden opened his mouth to reply, but before he could, a familiar voice cut in.

      "You two argue like an old married couple," Brett remarked, walking into the kitchen. I glared at him. Yeah, I think everyone's teaming up on me now. "What? I've always thought so, just never said it, but since July girlfriend's playing Dr. Phil, I figured I might as well speak my mind," Brett said, blinking at me innocently. He walked over to Kallie and wrapped an arm around her waist before pressing a kiss to her temple.

      I continued glaring at him. "Comment unappreciated."

      Brett mock winced. "Ouch, Raine, that hurt. How could you not appreciate my opinion on your relationship?"

      "Non-existent relationship," I corrected.

      Kaden, who had been completely silent during the conversation decided to suddenly speak up. "I'm offended, Sunshine, really," he said. "I thought we were completely past this hating thing."

      I coughed awkwardly before faking a smile. "Not hating you? How could I survive?" I asked dramatically.

      Kallie stared at us, looking slightly creeped out. "You guys okay? You're acting kind of weird."

      I exchanged a look with Kaden. "We're fine, Kal, nothing happened," I said, sneaking a glance around. "Anyway, if we're done here, I'm gonna go." Grabbing my bag, I dashed out of the room before anyone could stop me.

***

      Downtown was amazing. I loved it. There was just something about the way everything was there. The way people moved the sounds that filled the air. There was just something about the energy that pulsed there.

      I used to come here, find a bench and try to draw the people and cars and things that raced around downtown. It hadn't worked out so well, given that I wasn't very good at drawing, but it had been fun. I didn't really have time for it anymore, but I still loved hanging out downtown.

      Moving against the stream of people rushing to work, I ducked into a small coffee shop. Surprisingly, it was pretty empty. Then again, it was just after rush hour, which meant most of the usual morning customers had probably already came and went. There were still a couple stragglers, but the shop was still relatively quiet.

      I breathed in the tang of coffee as I glanced around at the familiar surroundings. What I loved about Kit's Corner was that although there was the scent of coffee, it wasn't incredibly strong or obnoxious. There were other things, of course, but that had been the first thing I'd fallen in love with.

      "Hey, Raine! Long time no see," Casey called, grinning at me from behind the dark, shiny counter. I returned her smile and skipped up to sit at one of the bar stools resting in front of the counter. Another thing I loved about Kit's. The front was set up like a bar, so you could have your drink or snack while talking to the servers. There were tables, of course, but to me, they weren't as welcoming as the stools.

      Looking around again, I felt a slight wave of longing and loneliness wash through me, despite the warm setting. I'd only been here once since... Him. We used to come here all the time, just to talk and help out when we could. When all of that had happened, I had stopped coming. It just held too many memories. Even though I came downtown pretty often, I rarely stepped foot inside Kit's.

      "Yeah, I guess. Sorry, it's been a bit busy, but now that it's summer, I'll try to come more," I replied in the most apologetic tone I could muster. Besides, I'm over it. I added in my head. "So, how's everything going?"

      "It's going pretty well, just pretty usual, you know. What can I get you?" Casey asked. My eyes scanned over the menu behind her head and I shrugged.

      "I don't know, surprise me. Just not too much caffeine and nothing hot," I replied.

      Casey paused, tapping her fingers against the counter as she considered my order. Suddenly, her eyes lit up and she raced toward the kitchen, stopping at a small, steel machine a couple feet away. Sighing, I closed my eyes and laid my head down on my arms, waiting for her to return.

      I looked up when I heard the clatter of a bowl in front of me. Amused, I raised an eyebrow at Casey. "Ice cream?"

      She beamed at me. "Yup, new kind," She said, holding out a spoon for me. Hesitantly, I took it and tried the cold, dark concoction.

      I bit back a moan. "Oh, wow, this is really good." And it was, the ice cream did actually melt in your mouth like ice cream's supposed to, and the blend of flavors was amazing. It had a rich, gooey taste, a bit like chocolate, with a sort of fruity tang, maybe cherries and oranges? Whatever it was, it was amazing. "The inventor of this is pretty genius," I praised.

      "Why, thank you." From the left came an unfamiliar male voice. I whipped around to see a guy with short brown hair and bright blue eyes. He was wearing faded jeans and a leather jacket. He also had a giant smirk on his face.

      For as brief moment, I found myself comparing him to Kaden. Their smirks were unnervingly similar. The guy had different hair and eye color, and they didn't look incredibly alike, given that Kaden had more of a (alright, I'll admit it) charming, preppy look while this guy looked more rugged. Still, their smiles were close enough to make the former flash through my mind.

      I mentally slapped myself. Why was I thinking about Kaden? Yeah, their grins were near- identical, but seriously? This was just ridiculous. I think I've lost it. Again.

      "Raine, meet Blake, he helped us develop the flavor. Blake, meet Raine, she's one of the regulars. Sometimes even hops behind the counter to help," Casey said. Blake looked me up and down, almost as if he was examining me. No, scratch that, I think he was examining me.

      "What?" I asked, trying to not squirm from feeling self-conscious.

      "Nothing, just can't imagine someone like you getting behind the counter," he replied, with a casual shrug. What? Someone like me? He just met me! He can't just assume... Well, he can, but he really shouldn't.

      "Someone like me? What are you implying?" I demanded, narrowing my eyes at him.

      "Well, first off, those are designer jeans. Gucci, I believe," he answered, nodding to my pants. I looked down and realized that I was wearing the jeans Kallie had given me. Without waiting for a response, Blake continued. "Those look like pretty fancy sunglasses, and that, looks like silver," he finished, gesturing to the chain my purity ring hung on.

      I stared at him with a flat look. "Firstly, this-" I held up the chain. "-is normal metal. The sunglasses are from the thrift store and the jeans are a gift. How do you know designer, anyway?"

      Blake just regarded me with a lazy look. "Whatever you say, Princess," he replied, ignoring my question completely. I felt my hands clench into fists. Really? Why is everyone giving me nicknames? I just met this guy and he's already given me one. I mean, come on, my name's fine, is it not?

      I turned to Casey, who was looking at Blake and I with an amused expression. Oh yeah, right, it seems that I'm very entertaining too, or at least, the conversations I have with people are. "How do you deal with this guy?" I asked her.

      She shot me a look that held a bit of sympathy, but I knew she was trying to push down a smile. "We don't. Usually we just ignore him," she responded.

      Blake placed a hand over the left side of his chest. "Hurtful, Casey, is that any way to treat a loyal customer of Kit's?" Oh god. Another gesture that was strangely similar to Kaden's. I bet there's some kind of manual for guys that's titled 'How to Be a Jerk'. Smirking and hand over heart-ing must both be in it.

      Casey shrugged and ignored him. Instead, she turned to me and said, "Want to help out? It's just a bit before lunch hour, and we need to re-stock."

      I mimicked her action. "Sure, why not?" I slid my empty bowl to the side, jumped onto the counter and spun over it before landing on the ground. Casey tossed me an apron at me, which I caught after dropping my bowl in the sink in the back.

      Suddenly, Blake appeared beside me. "Alright, Princess, let's see what you're made of," He said grabbing a couple bottles and handing them to me. I gritted my teeth and set out to refill the containers of sauces while purposely ignoring him.

      Lunch hour wasn't too busy today. Casey took the customers while Blake and I worked on re-stocking stuff and sometimes working the cashier.

      I was hanging up my apron when I felt someone bump into me. An ice cold liquid slipped down my back and I immediately spun around to see who had done it. My eyes met a pair of azure ones. Of course. I should've known. Casey was a lot more graceful and she was also in the back, grabbing her stuff.

      "Sorry," he said, not sounding sorry at all. He handed me a wad of napkins, which really were no use in drying up the unknown liquid that was now soaking in my jeans.

      "Mhmm, I'm sure you're very sorry," I replied sarcastically, dabbing uselessly at the wet spot.

      Blake pouted, looking slightly childish. "No, seriously, I really am. I'll make it up to you," he promised. I regarded him with a flat look and said nothing. "Another chance? C'mon, I'll take you to a carnival." Immediately, I winced. This sounded all too familiar. It was what Jared had said every time after he had hit me. Every. Single. Time. And all those times I had caved. I mentally slapped myself for the second time today. No, it wasn't coming back. I was over it. I told myself. You see, after the incident with Jared, everything had reminded me of him, but I had gotten over that more than a year ago. It couldn't be returning.

      Returning back to the present, I raised an eyebrow at Blake. "What if I don't like carnivals?"

      His eyes widened in mock horror. "Who doesn't like carnivals?" When I didn't reply, he became serious again. "Come on, Raine, I think we started on the wrong foot. I'll make it up to you. Just give me a chance. Come on, meet me here tomorrow at ten and I'll give you the best day of your life," he said in a persuasive tone with a wink.

      I sighed. "Fine," I agreed, before squeezing out from between Blake and the wall and heading towards the door. Maybe this would help me forget about Kaden and the awkwardness between us. It would give me time away, time to

      "I knew you would cave!" I heard Blake shout from behind me.

      "Don't make me change my mind, Blake!" I called over my shoulder. I waved goodbye to Casey and Haley (the girl taking over for Casey) and left the café, feeling pretty content despite the strange turn of events.

***

      "Hey Raine!" I heard Kallie call from behind me the next morning. I just nodded to let her know that I had heard her before returning my focus to the plates in front of me.

      "What are you doing?" Came a familiar voice from beside me. I jumped and end up dumping half the syrup on the last plate. I turned and glared at Kaden. He held his hands up in the universal sign for surrender. "What?"

      "I was trying to perfect all of them! That was the last plate!" I exclaimed, narrowing my eyes when I saw a small smile creep onto his face. He took the messy plate from the table and held it behind his back. With his free hand he gestured to the rest of them.

      "There, all perfect again," He said in a teasing sort of voice. I ignored his tone, grabbed the rest of the plates and brought them to the table.

      "So, I was thinking about maybe doing another challenge today," Kallie announced when I sat down. My eyes widened and I froze, my fork halfway to my mouth.

      Quietly, I set it down before clearing my throat awkwardly and looking at Kallie. "I can't today," I told her. She raised an eyebrow at me.

      "Hot date?" She asked jokingly. Awkward part number two. I fidgeted in my seat and didn't meet anyone's eyes, instead, I stared at the painting behind Kallie's head and watched as her eyes widened. "Whoa. Wait, seriously?"

      "Um, well, I wouldn't call it 'hot'," I said, still feeling awkward. Instead of my expected reaction of her screaming like she usually did when I got a date, she merely looked at me and frowned.

      "Who is it?" She asked. I looked around the table to see Brett and Clark shooting Kaden looks, Kaden looked the slightest bit tense and Annabelle was watching us with curious eyes.

      "This guy I met at Kit's yesterday," I replied, still tapping my fingers against my leg. It was my I-feel-awkward habit.

      Kallie leaned back in her chair and also shot Kaden a look like Clark and Brett's. "Alright be careful. We can do the challenge tomorrow."

      Breakfast continued in silence. I sat there and pretended I hadn't noticed there odd behavior. Something told me it would me easier if I just didn't ask.

      "Raine," Kaden said, approaching me a while later when we were alone.

      I gulped silently and didn't turn to meet his eyes. "Yeah?"

      "I don't think-" he started. I didn't let him finish. I knew what he would say.

      "Don't, Kaden. I'm trying to forget," I told him, turning around to stare out the window into the left of me. I heard him sigh and there was a beat of silence before he spoke again.

      "Does he make you laugh like I did?" He asked softly, almost as if he was afraid of the answer.

      I bit my lip and finally turned around to face him. His misty eyes immediately locked on my and I shook my head slightly before replying, "He doesn't make me cry like you did."

-READ ME-

Not as funny as I wish it were, since I wrote most of this when I was quite tired. Do me a favor and check out my 'Story Idea' book? Vote on the ones you like, and when SaS is done, I'll start on the one with the most votes. Also, if any of you guys have suggestions, songs, covers, banners or whatever's for the story, send them in, I'd love to hear/see them! :D

Oh, and if you guys haven't read the author note (last upload) you might want to.

Teaser: Date with Blake... And what did Raine and Kaden mean at the end?
Vote, if you think Kaden's being an idiot right now.
Comment with either Raiden/Kaine or, um, Blaine(?) To tell me which couple you like better.
Fan, if you want to know more about Raine and Kaden's past... Or if you love me. ;)

~JJ :)

PS. Sorry for the super long Author's Note.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2M 153K 32
Peyton Hills has it all. She has a perfect life, surrounded by loving and supportive parents who shockingly aren't divorced. She is surrounded by po...
55.2K 1.9K 45
I suddenly crashed to the floor, my papers flying everywhere "Watch where you're going, Jesus!" The middle one said and kept walking. "Hey, asshole...
174K 7.4K 82
Every high schooler says that high school is hell, but for an eighteen-year-old, Isla, it really is. For someone who is so sweet and pure she doesn'...
6.3K 55 35
June's senior year in high school starts probably the worst way possible - her first boyfriend and supposedly love of her life cheats on her and dump...