Beautiful, Beautiful

By CharlayMarieWrites

**** From the 2016 Watty Award winning author of White Fire**** Burst into this fantasy fairytale and journey... More

Born of Beauty
The Village
Crow
No Privacy
Meeting the King
Silver and Gold
The Welcoming Ball
Under the Castle
The Dance
George
Christian
Tea for Two
Happy Birthday
A Warning
The King's Library
Betrothed

A Garden of Schemes

4.1K 308 186
By CharlayMarieWrites

The castle grounds were blanketed in a thick layer of fog that spread across the lawn as if to whisk it away. The color of dawn was a cloak of apricot and periwinkle, bright and ever-changing as the day grew. The maids were already about, preparing breakfast and cleaning rooms. The grounds men struggling through the murk to lay new soil in the fields. The king already sat at the head of his lush, dining room table sipping from a goblet while reviewing the letters carried in by the courier. Sun slept peacefully in her oversized bed, the night before forgotten as the tendrils of her dream caressed her mind.

The sound of Sun's curtains being drawn caused her to stir in her sleep. The smell of coffee beans and roasted hazelnuts scented the air, and her stomach began to rumble loudly. But instead of deciding to rise for the day, Sun sank deeper into her bed, ready to dive headfirst into another dream...

"Up, up, up!" Alma, the older maid chimed, pulling the duvet of off the bed, leaving Sun shivering and bare-legged. It was nearly summertime but the morning breeze still brought in an unpleasant chill, unlike her southern cottage. Sun slid the top sheet over her legs to fight the cold draft seeping through the panes. This would apparently be her morning ritual.

The bed indented as Velda pounced onto it. "What's got you, this morning?"

Sun opened her eyes to shoot daggers at Velda. "I've barely slept. Perhaps only four hours. Why are you here so early?" Sun groaned. She watched Alma frown and head straight for the large wardrobe.

"It's time for breakfast!" Velda sang, jumping up and down on the bed, causing Sun's headache to worsen.

"Stop." Sun pleaded, as she squinted at Velda. "Could you close the blinds, please? I can't see a thing."

"Oh, you've been drinking, have ya'?" Alma asked, pulling a bright blue dress from the wardrobe to examine. "Maybe you should wear bright colors to draw the attention away from your clammy face. You look almost awful."

"And yet still beautiful," Velda added. "I don't think it's even possible for you to look horrible...unless someone bashed your face in."

Images flashed before Sun's eyes of Cale's maddened expression as he chased after her in the woods. She shook the thought out of her mind before it could cause anxieties.

"What happened last night?" Velda asked, frowning for the first time since she entered. "Did you go to the party under the castle?"

"How did you know?"

Velda squealed. "How was it? I heard it's absolutely insane down there. I want to go but Alma won't allow it."

"Good," was all Sun said as she thought back to her night, and her cheeks burned in shame as new images of Prince Crow appeared.

"Ah," Alma said, studying her face. "Looks like some of the color is coming back. You should be okay to join the royal family during breakfast."

Sun fell back into her pillow, letting out a breath of frustration. She was not ready to face Prince Crow. Not after how the night ended. With a defiant frown, she pulled the silk sheets over her head and sank into her bed. Her mind was made up and she refused to move.

A half an hour later, Sun sat at the dining room table as a guest of the royal family. She was dressed in a blue, ruffled gown that exposed a modest amount of cleavage. Directly across from her was Prince Christian, who just so happened to be matching her, save for the rich, gold designs running along the hem of his blue tunic. She wondered if he'd chosen her outfit just like he had chosen the emerald jewelry she wore when meeting the king. It wouldn't be a surprise.

To his left sat Princess Adel, who appeared bright and well rested. Today, she wore her cheek-length hair in ringlets that complimented her soft, rosy lips. Her pink, silk gown was similar to Sun's and yet more lavish, with ruffled arms of chiffon and a bodice that had small diamonds etched into the fabric. The King sat at the head of the table, clad in a white, feathered cape made from the finest birds in Noch. He chose a different crown today, one made of white gold with diamonds coating every inch. It was glorious and pure, stunning and fit for his liking.

To the king's left sat Prince Crow, who matched his glory but in dark navy. Sun wouldn't dare look at him long enough to see the details of his outfit, especially since he was sat next to her and was the only person on her side of the table. Every movement he made reminded her of what happened the night before.

Sun was on a merry-go-round, or so it seemed as the room around her began to spin, wildly. She immediately stopped dancing with Crow and almost stumbled out of his reach. Thankfully, he'd caught her, his dark gaze examining her face.

"Let's get you back to your room," he ordered, a concerned yet distant frown hardening his features.

"I want to daaaaance," Sun bellowed, sagging against him as he led her away from the dancefloor. "Come on, Crowieee!"

"You're impossible," Crow groaned as he let her go, a smile tugged at his lips.

"Ah! You like my new name-" Sun's knees buckled, and she fell to the floor in laughter. Crow swore as he kneeled before her with one brow arched.

"Keep it up, Beautiful, and I'm going to start thinking you actually like having me save you."

"I'm famisssssshed," Sun slurred, completely ignoring him.

"You certainly don't need food," he assured her. "On second thought, perhaps some bread and water."

"Water," Sun moaned, just as the Prince lifted her to her feet.

"Come on, let's keep moving."

"Sun? Did you hear my question?" Sun blinked in surprise as she glanced at Princess Adel, who'd just spoken. The food had arrived right under her nose and she hadn't even noticed.

"I'm sorry?"

"I asked if you enjoyed yourself last night," Adel repeated, her voice laced with humor as if her question had a double meaning.

"I did, it was most pleasant," Sun replied. "I was very excited for it all."

"So excited that you vomited, am I right?" Adel asked, causing Sun's cheeks to burn crimson.

"Excuse me?" Sun blinked.

She was once again in a dark room full of sound and people. Prince Crow led her through the mass and down the passageways that led to her room.

She felt her stomach began to churn and felt all the more lightheaded. She had to stop before...

"By the gods." She turned toward Prince Crow to speak. "I...I.."

And like an erupting volcano, Sun covered Crow's revealed chest in vomit. She watched as his face contorted in anger and shock. He looked as if he could kill.

Sun had no recollection of what happened after that. She wasn't even sure how she'd gotten into her night clothes or managed to get into bed. It was yet another situation in which she'd be scarred for life. She certainly wasn't prepared to be sitting next to the man who took the brunt of her nausea.

"How did you know I...?" Sun couldn't finish her question as she glanced at Crow, who didn't even bother to meet her eyes.

"I was there, remember?" Adel asked. "Father wanted to know why you'd left the ball so soon. I explained how I had helped you to your room, as you'd gotten sick from all the excitement," Princess Adel explained. And once Sun understood the lie, she nodded and glanced at the king.

"The princess is right, my king. I am so sorry to have left so early."

"Ah, no harm," the king smiled. "I was only worried that Rogan had possibly chased you away."

"I would do no such thing," the amused voice said from behind Sun. She turned to her left just as Rogan took a seat in the empty chair next to her. He smiled, but it didn't meet his eyes, and Sun wondered if she was the only one who saw the disdain for his family hidden within them.

"Ah, Rogan," the king mused. "So nice of you to join us." He beckoned the nearest maid standing feet away as if waiting to be summoned. "Prepare another plate for the duke, will you?"

"Thank you, my king." Rogan bowed his head, and when he lifted his eyes, they landed on Prince Christian. "Aren't you looking dapper? Though the blue is a bit too bright for your future." Rogan's eyes shined with humor as his gaze moved to Princess Adel's attire. "My, my, cousin. Your diamonds are so shiny, today. In fact, they are even shinier than they were yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before that." Prince Crow snorted at Sun's side, causing Rogan to shift his attention toward the sound. He met her eyes and grinned. "And countess Sun, you're exceptional. Pray tell, how did you sleep?"

"Well," was all Sun said.

The King cleared his throat before saying, "Good to hear. I was hoping to show you my garden after breakfast, if you are up for it."

"Certainly, my king," Sun smiled. Truth was, her head was spinning and the thought of a walk was unbearable. But who in their right mind would deny the king?

The fog had lifted by the time King Andres took Sun on a tour of the garden. They strolled passed a beautiful patch of rare tulips, each petal the color of periwinkle with a splash of white in the center. In fact, every single flower in the garden was a rare tulip, bright in color, with a smell so sweet, the flowers in her woods would have been jealous. The king's garden was the most beautiful thing Sun had ever seen.

"It was my wife's favorite flower," the king told her, his eyes soft as he gazed down at the blue tulips. "She wanted them infested with glow bugs so that at night, the flowers would be brighter than day. She died before the garden was completed, but every year I make the tulips glow in her memory."

"That's beautiful," Sun told him. "I wish to one day have a love like that."

The king was silent for a while, but when he spoke, he casually said, "You never know. One day, this could be yours."

The king began walking again, and Sun followed along, silently questioning his words. "What do you think of my son, Prince Christian?"

"He seems lovely," Sun admitted. "But I've only known him for a day."

"Maybe with time, you could grow to love him."

Sun paused as she adjusted to the weight of the king's suggestion. "Soon, it will be time for him to choose a bride."

"And what of Princess Adel and Prince Crow?"

"Ah, I'm sure Adel will marry a duke or prince in a nearby kingdom. It would do our relations with other courts, well." King Andres sighed as he continued. "And Prince Crow is head of my knights. His wife is my army. I honestly don't care how many mistresses he takes to bed or how many bastard children he produces, so long as none of them coming knocking on my door."

"What if they want different for themselves?" Sun dared to ask, hoping she didn't sound too abrasive. She watched as the king took interest in a beautiful, milky white tulip. It was alone in a sea of pink. He pulled out a tool from his tunic and kneeled down to the flower.

"I have three children, and each of them knows their place in life. One will be king, one will be the king's commander, and the other will forge outside relations through an arranged marriage. They have known this since they were children."

The king clipped the white tulip and stood straight, studying the flower closely. "I was naturally hardest on Crow, and with reason. I spoiled Adel so she'd know how a man should treat his wife. I raised Christian to be a leader, so that he'd lead my people in excellence. They were conditioned into the very people they are today."

Sun nodded as she thought about how each sibling was indeed different and shaped toward their particular gifts. Adel was clearly spoiled and entitled, but she knew what she deserved and had no problem demanding it from people. Christian had a way with making people like him. He could command a room, and he seemed genuine and friendly. Not to mention, he could have any woman he wanted by just being charming.

And then there was Crow. A walking, killing machine. Sun remembered how hard his abdomen had been as they danced. She'd felt those strong arms as they lifted her off of the ground. She remembered how he skillfully maneuvered the dagger he'd been showing off under the castle. But even though he was a killing machine, he sometimes had this softness to him whenever he spoke to her. There was something kind in his heart, something his dad hasn't conditioned out of him. Maybe Crow was chaos, but maybe, if given the right opportunity, he was love as well. Writing him off was wrong.

"Here is a bit of wisdom," King Andres said. "Many men will ask for your hand. You make sure you chose the right one."

"Those were my mother's dying words," Sun admitted.

"Ah, she was wise," the king said, and then he began walking again. "Prince Christian is a fine, young man, and he will be a fine king. It would also be wise for you to understand what that could possibly mean for you. It is not every day that a beautiful woman finds herself in the presence of such greatness. Should she be wise, she could have an entire kingdom under her feet."

King Andres' serious eyes met hers and he smiled softly as he handed her the clipped flower. "For you. Consider it my welcoming gift. If you were wise, you would do well to charm the charmer." And with that, he walked away, leaving her standing alone, holding a single, white tulip.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 129K 49
when a rich spoiled bad boy Jeon Jung-hoon gets into an encounter with a Muslim girl and they become enemies so he bully her humiliates her and insul...
18.5K 316 12
DELULU & GUILT PLEASURE
79.8K 2.2K 25
"๐œ๐š๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ข'๐ฏ๐ž ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ง๐จ ๐จ๐ง๐ž'๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐š๐ง๐...
560K 18.1K 161
Genre: Space, Doting, Farming, Time travel, Healing Alternative: ็ฉบ้—ดไน‹ๅ†œๅฎถๅฅณๆ˜ฏๅ›ขๅฎ  Author: ๅฐ็ณŠๆถ‚ๅคงไป™ Synopsis: Xu Linyue from the 21st century crossing over with...