Glee: To the Next Level (the...

By arias3

With all of its original members gone, the glee club must struggle to survive at McKinley High School. Having... More

To The Next Level [Glee FanFic #2]
Chapter 1: Excited
Chapter 2: Trio
Chapter 3: Britney x3
Chapter 4: Rite of Passage
Chapter 5: Payback's a Bree
Chapter 6: Hot N' Cold
Chapter 7: Awkward
Chapter 8: Complicated
Not a Chapter-- QUESTION TIME ^_^
Chapter 10: Legacy
Chapter 11: Adams-Wilde vs Hart-Brown
Chapter 12: Misunderstandings
Chapter 13: The End of the Beginning
Chapter 14: The Fall Musical
Chapter 15: War for a Role
Chapter 16: Resurface
Chapter 17: Never Set Me Free
Chapter 18: Halloween Bash
Chapter 19: Burning Up
Chapter 20: Hairspray
Chapter 21: Friend or Foe
Chapter 22: Revelations
Chapter 23: Duets and Vulnerabilities
Chapter 24: Birthday
Chapter 25: Replacement
Chapter 26: Competition
Chapter 27: Generosity
Chapter 28: Feliz Navidad and a Happy New Year
Chapter 29: Eye of the Tiger
Chapter 30: The Creative Process
Chapter 31: Film Do-It's
Chapter 32: Guilty Pleasures
Chapter 33: New Information
Chapter 34: Right Where You Want Me
Chapter 35: Before You Go
Chapter 36: King of Laziness
Chapter 37: That 70s Show
Chapter 38: Decades Dance
Chapter 39: The Next Forty Minutes
Chapter 40: Valentine Grams
Chapter 41: A Time for Love
Chapter 42: Addicted to Love
Chapter 43: Project Popularity
Chapter 44: The Girls' Demands
Chapter 45: One End and Two Beginnings
Chapter 46: Sorting Hat
Chapter 47: One Week
Chapter 48: The Girlfriend
Chapter 49: The Show
Chapter 50: Finale
Chapter 51: New Girl
Chapter 52: Cheerleaders and Angels
Chapter 53: Regionals
Chapter 54: Denial
Chapter 55: Anger
Chapter 56: Fed Up
Chapter 57: Bargaining
Chapter 58: Back to the Beginning
Chapter 59: Poor Unfortunate Souls
Chapter 60: Boys Will Be Boys
Chapter 61: The Full Killing Machine
Chapter 62: Picnic
Chapter 63: Looking For Salvation
Chapter 64: Wonderland
Chapter 65: Downward
Chapter 66: Getting Involved
Chapter 67: Depression
Chapter 68: Change
Chapter 69: Before Prom
Chapter 70: Prom
Chapter 71: After Prom
Chapter 72: The Drinking Game
Chapter 73: No Habla Español
Not a Chapter-- READERS' CHOICE ^_^
Chapter 74: The Super Secret of the Super Devious Super Girl
Chapter 75: Know Your Enemy
Chapter 76: Whatever Comes Next
Chapter 77: The Only Way is Up
Chapter 78: Crazy
Chapter 79: Harlie
Chapter 80: Late Night Bonding
Chapter 81: Athens of the South
Chapter 82: Fly Away
Chapter 83: Superlatives
Chapter 84: One, Two, Three
Chapter 85: Graduation
Character Contest

Chapter 9: Over

4.1K 100 48
By arias3

I wasn't exactly the president of the Santana Lopez fan club, but she sure did know how to make good points. I had to be smart about how I handled the John situation, if at all. So the day after his birthday, I asked Kitty if she and John were okay.

"It took a lot of apologizing," she informed me as on our way to the choir room, "but after a nice dinner at his place and a movie, he forgave me. So yes, we're okay again."

"Perfect," I said.

"Why?" she asked. "And do you know who called the meeting?"

I nodded. "I did," I said as we walked into the room, where the rest of them were waiting. Ryder wasn't there because he had to retake a quiz he bombed and Bree had detention so she also couldn't make it. Everyone else, however, was present and ready to hear what I had to say. But there weren't any words. So I skipped the introduction we usually gave before singing and signaled the band to start the music.

It was really the perfect song. Besides the lyrics being nearly perfect for the situation, the punk rock beats were angry and awesome.

Julie: If I'm a bad person, you don't like me. Well I guess I'll make my own way.

It was pretty obvious that this song was directed at John, but in case it wasn't, I looked over at Kitty and him.

Julie: It's a circle. A mean cycle. I can't excite you anymore. Where's your gavel? Your jury? What's my offense this time?

John stood up and started walking around but I rushed to the door and blocked the way for him.

Julie: You're not a judge but if you're gonna judge me... Well sentence me to another life.

I gave him a small push indicating for him to go back to his seat, and he did as I carried onto the chorus and became angrier. My voice had never been able to go as low as it did in this song, and I liked the newfound key I was singing in. My range had extended! Thank you Hayley Williams.

When I was tired of jumping around (which was while I sang, Ignorance is your new best friend), I grabbed a chair, placed it in front of John, and sat on it, facing the wrong way so that I could face him.

Julie: This is the best thing that could've happened. Any longer and I wouldn't have made it. It's not a war, no, it's not a rapture. I'm just a person but you can't take it. 

He shook his head at me and once again stood. He walked towards the door but it was the same pattern. I beat him to it and stood in the doorway, not caring that there were people in the hallway looking at us.

Julie: The same tricks that, that once fooled me, they won't get you anywhere. I'm not the same kid from your memory. Well now I can fend for myself.

He used his shoulder to push me to the side and move past me so I followed him down the hallway, with the band playing behind us and the glee kids all following.

Julie: Don't wanna hear your sad songs. I don't wanna feel your pain. When you swear it's all my fault, cause you know we're not the same. We're not the same. Oh, we're not the same.

I had to take a few extra steps to get in front of him and he finally stopped, seeing as I was in his way once again.

Julie: Yeah, we used to stick together. We wrote our names in blood. But I guess you can't accept that the change is good. It's good. It's good.

He shook his head at me and walked around me, so I kept going behind him. He had to hear me out.

Julie: Well you treat me just like another stranger. Well it's nice to meet you sir. I guess I'll go. I best be on my way out. 

When we passed by the classroom Ryder was in, he was just coming out, and he stood at the doorway confused. But I had to ignore him and keep singing to John.

Julie: Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend!

I finished the song there in the hallway, where John had chosen to stop as he realized I wouldn't stop until I was done. Once the music ended and the band dismissed itself, I caught my breath and waited for John to respond.

"Fine," he said. "You win, Julie. We're no longer friends."

And then he walked away. That's not at all what I wanted. But if that's what was going to come out of it, then so be it. Our friendship was evidently over.

***

I avoided all of the glee kids for the rest of the day, especially Ryder and Kitty, who were pretty disappointed in how I'd handled the situation. Bree told me I'd done the right thing and that John was a jerk for the way he treated me, while the rest of them just kept their opinions to themselves for once. And I didn't have to face any of it until the next day after school, when Mr. Schue called us into the auditorium for a quick, final, and pretty inconvenient meeting.

"Sorry for not being with you guys this week," he said. "As you all know, Emma is pregnant and she had a fall at home, so I've been going to check on her at home and taking her to the doctor and it's just been a crazy week. Anyway, I trust you guys made your friendships stronger this week?"

Nobody answered him.

"I have one final task for you," Mr. Schue went on. "I've brought you here so that you can really tell the story of what it means to have a strong friendship. Just, anybody pick a song, share it out, and let us leave the week off strong. So whoever thinks they've got it, please sing a song."

Nobody answered again. But then John cleared his throat and pulled out sheets from his backpack. "This is a song by the Cheetah Girls," he said.

"Seriously?" Jake responded. John glared at him. Those two didn't get along very well. It was like a silent contest to see who cares less.

"Yeah, seriously," he told him. "And you're going to sing it with me." He handed him one of the packets of sheet music. He gave the other two packets to Marley and me.

"What's this for?" asked Marley.

"I'll be Galleria," said John. "Jake, you'll be Dorinda. Marley will be Aqua. And Julie... You'll be Chanel. It's in rounds so try not to get confused as we sing over each other and basically repeat everything." I looked down at what he'd handed me, which read IT'S OVER at the top. I looked up at him as Mr. Schue urged us to go for it.

Marley took a seat on the piano and played what was indicated in front of her as John began singing.

John: Four voices perfectly blending... right from the start. Oh, I'm afraid that's ending and my world is fallin' apart...

He picked up his guitar from the ground and Kitty held the sheet music up for him as he strummed.

John: It's over. And I feel so alone. This is a sadness I've never known. How did I let the sweetest of dreams slip away?

I looked up, unsure, and made eye contact with Ryder, who nodded once, encouraging me to go along with it.

John: And I'm afraid the hurt is here to stay.

I took a deep breath as I looked down at my sheet music and sang.

Julie: Promises made not meant to be broken... From a long time ago... Oooh, so many words still unspoken.

I looked up at John but he was focused on playing the right notes.

Julie: Tell me how was I to know.

I didn't want to keep going but John went on so I figured it was only fair that I did, too.

John: It's over

Julie: It's over... Never thought it would be. Why in the world did this happen to me?

John and Julie: How could I let the sweetest of dreams slip away?

Julie: And I'm afraid the hurt is here to stay.

I looked up at him again and this time he was looking at me. But he looked away after just five seconds.

John and Julie: I go round and round and round in my head, wanting to take back

John: Whatever I said. 

Julie: Whatever I said. No one was right.

John: No one was right.

Julie: We all made mistakes.

John: We all made mistakes.

Julie: I'm ready to do--

John, Marley and Jake: Whatever it takes.

All: Please...

Julie: Don't let it be

All: Over

And that's when the confusing part came in. I would sing the line, then John would repeat it as I sang my next line, then Jake and Marley would repeat it and so on. It sounded great. But it was sad and confusing, and not just because of the style, but also because of the lyrics. So when we finished and Mr. Schue applauded it us, we were dismissed and I followed after John.

"Was that, like, an apology?" I asked him as we were leaving campus and I finally caught up to him.

"Not at all," he said. "It was an affirmation that you and I are done. No more of this back and forth crap. We've obviously both changed a lot in the last year and although in the song I said I didn't want it to be over, the truth is that it's best if it is. So we're done."

I stared blankly ahead as he rushed to his car. Then everyone else was picked up or left or whatever. And Joe and I were the last ones left.

"Don't have a ride?" Joe asked.

"My dad's picking me up," I assured him.

"Cool," he said. "Well, I'll leave you then."

"Wait, were you just waiting until we all left?" I asked. 

"Yeah," he said. "I always do. I'm team captain and--"

"And really awesome," I said with a laugh. My dad started pulling in so I thanked Joe, who told me to keep my head up, and we went our separate ways.

"Ready to meet Veronica?" my dad said when I got into the car with him.

"Yeah, whatever," I told him, annoyed that he was so late. I guess we wouldn't be stopping by to shower. "So how old is her kid?" I asked. "I'm not going to have to babysit, am I?"

"She said she had a teenager," my dad told me. "That's basically all I know."

"Oh," I said. And then we talked about our days and when Cory would come home and visit and the weather and what not until we got to the Sugar Shack, which still looked nice like Breadstix instead of all pink and girlied up the way Sugar liked to make it on February to celebrate Valentine's Day. It was less than ten minutes away so there really wasn't much time to talk. And when we got to the restaurant, the woman wasn't even there yet.

"She'll be here soon," my dad told me when I had impatiently eaten three breadsticks. The breadsticks historically sucked. "Look, there she is," my dad said with a smile. 

"Oh my god," I said when I saw who Veronica's "teenager" was. Of all the teenagers in Lima, this is who I got stuck with?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Alright guys, you all get to choose who you want this mystery person. WHO SHOULD IT BE? WHO'S MOM IS JULIE'S DAD DATING? I will not update until you all help me choose! Here are the options:

Jake's mom

Bree's mom

Dan's mom

I would have offered up more characters but these were the three with single moms and who I think would be interesting to get to know more of through their family lives.  So there it is! Go ahead and let me know below! (or as some of you prefer PM).

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.8K 2.6K 124
Going into high school seemed exciting at first, until it all came down to fitting in, where one Caroline Hudson thought if she joined cheerleading l...
49.8K 871 25
Ryley Berry's junior year at McKinley has begun and it's going to be a good one this year. With the New Directions finished, Ryley doesn't really kn...
67.3K 2.1K 94
Blake Henley tries to navigate her way through high school. All she knows is that one day she wants to be on the big screen, but has no idea how to g...
220K 3.2K 42
Sofia Lopez is one of the newest New Directions members who is Santana's sister. It's a new year at William McKinley High School and It's her dream t...