Maybe Perfect

By emmaroseszalai

Sophie Campbell is a seventeen year old senior at Jackson High that also holds down a part-time job at the lo... More

2: Maybe Perfect
3: Maybe Perfect
4: Maybe Perfect
5: Maybe Perfect
6: Maybe Perfect
7: Maybe Perfect
8: Maybe Perfect
9: Maybe Perfect
10: Maybe Perfect
11: Maybe Perfect
12: Maybe Perfect
13: Maybe Perfect
14: Maybe Perfect
15: Maybe Perfect
16: Maybe Perfect
17: Maybe Perfect
18: Maybe Perfect
19: Maybe Perfect
20: Maybe Perfect
21: Maybe Perfect
22: Maybe Perfect
23: Maybe Perfect
24: Maybe Perfect
25: Maybe Perfect
26: Maybe Perfect
27: Maybe Perfect
28: Maybe Perfect
29: Maybe Perfect
30: Maybe Perfect
31: Maybe Perfect
32: Maybe Perfect
33: Maybe Perfect
34: Maybe Perfect
35: Maybe Perfect
36: Maybe Perfect
37: Maybe Perfect
38: Maybe Perfect
39: Maybe Perfect
40: Maybe Perfect
41: Maybe Perfect
42: Maybe Perfect
43: Maybe Perfect
44: Maybe Perfect
Epilogue: Maybe Perfect

1: Maybe Perfect

1.2M 13.6K 6.5K
By emmaroseszalai

Chapter 1

"Are you sure that you need help tonight, I doubt anybody's going to be coming in tonight."

"Yes, you're the only one I could get a hold of and I'm the only one working tonight. I need your help tonight and I'll pay you double for this shift... please!"

I sighed. "Fine, I'll be there in ten minutes or so." I replied, closing my cell phone in frustration.

Tonight was New Year's Eve and I was just called into work for the night... oh the joy.

My name's Sophie Campbell and I'm currently in my senior year at Jackson High. I also have a part-time job at the coffee shop two streets away from where I live.

I was supposed go over to my best friend Piper's house tonight to celebrate the new year but she called me this morning saying she had woken up with a bad stomach ache and had caught the flu. I was disappointed but I understood that she didn't want me to get sick, so I was planning on making a party of three tonight in my room... me, myself and I.

That plan went down the toilet two minutes ago when my boss Annie, the twenty-seven year old owner of Kaffeine, called and instructed me to report to work for the night.

Seriously, who is going to come into the shop and buy a latte or chocolate biscotti on New Year's Eve?

Placing my cellphone into the back pocket of my jeans, I threw on my brown leather jacket and headed downstairs.

"Mary, Dennis, I'm taking the car and going to work!" I yelled, addressing my aunt and uncle.

That's another thing you need to know about me; ten years ago, my parents were coming home from a business dinner and were hit by a drunk driver. They died instantly and ever since then, my aunt and uncle on my Dad's side took me and my older brother Max into their home. Don't get me wrong, I love my aunt and uncle a lot and they treat us like their own children, it's just sometimes, a girl misses her parents.

"You're going to work now... at 10pm on New Year's Eve?" my aunt asked, coming into the hallway with my car keys in her hand.

I took the keys from her and shrugged. "Annie called me saying she needed help tonight and that I was the only one she could get a hold of. I'm getting paid double and I'm free tonight so it works I guess." I replied. "I'll probably be back around one or two, don't wait up." I said as I hugged her quickly and headed out into the cold night air.

There in the driveway sat my beauty... my red 2011 Chevy Cruze. It was a present from my aunt and uncle after I turned sixteen. They didn't want Max driving me around anymore so, as soon as I got my license a couple weeks after I turned 16, we headed straight to the car lot. It was a nice enough car and it didn't cost a whole lot of cash so this was the car I chose. Since then, I have been the driving monkey for my friends to and from school.

I got into my car and pulled out of the driveway heading down the street for the short ten minute drive it took to get to the coffee shop. I could've walked to work but I felt way to lazy for that right now, so, I chose to drive.

I pulled into one of the many open parking spots in front of Kaffeine and went in through the front door.

"Wow Annie, I'm seeing all the customers around here. I totally understand why you had to call me into work tonight." I said sarcastically as I walked around the counter and grabbed my apron.

She smirked. "I said I needed your help tonight, I didn't say it was because of an overload of customers. I actually just need your help to keep me occupied for the next three or four hours until I close." she replied as I finished tying up my apron around my waist.

"Well then, I guess two people being bored is better than one." I again stated in a sarcastic tone of voice.  

"There's the spirit, and we can get to talking since I haven't had a girl talk in a while."

"Clearly you growing older has affected your ability to detect sarcasm." I said bluntly, but still smiling at my friend.

"Oh hush girl, so what's been up with you? Any crushes or potential boyfriends in your future?" she asked me with a smile on her face.

The smile on her face dropped slightly as I shook my head. "Nah, nobody wants to hang out with the nerdy girl. The only people I hang around are Piper, Blake and you so no worrying about a boyfriend anytime soon."

"Well, there's always the hope of going off to university and finding your true love, but seriously, you don't like any of the guys at your school, or girls even... it's all cool, I don't judge." she said, holding up her hands in a mock surrender pose.

That got me to laugh. "Hahahaha, don't worry I'm not a lesbian and nope. I mean sure Blake is obviously sexy as hell but he doesn't bat for my team so that ain't ever going to happen, even though I see him more like a brother and I don't really notice any of the guys in my grade. They're all douche bags." I replied, thinking about how depressing it was that the one kind-hearted guy I hung around was gay – but hey, I still loved him.

"Well, what if you go back to school later next week and there's a guy that catches your eye?" she asked.

I just shrugged. "I doubt it; none of the guys bat an eyelash at me."

"Oh please, you're gorgeous Sophie. I wish when I was your age I had your hair and eyes."

"I have long red hair and plain blue eyes, what's so special about that?" I asked her, running my hands through my hair.

"Jesus Soph, your hair is amazing. I have never seen somebody with that natural colour before and I love it, and as for your eyes, Soph – you inherited your mom's stunning blue eyes and you look beautiful." she said, complementing my natural features.

I smiled shyly, blushing slightly at the praise on my appearance. "Thanks Annie."

"No problem." she said as the bell to the coffee shop's door rang and she smirked. "Well, well, on the topic of potential love interests, maybe yours just walked through the door." she said nodding towards the guy walking towards the counter.

I turned around and was stunned. I've seen this guy around school before. He was in my grade but more of a loner than a popular. He had a full head of black hair, light greyish eyes and a strong build. He was also carrying a guitar on his back.

"Hi, welcome to Kaffeine, how may I help you?" I asked, manning the till.

He smiled down at me. With my 5'6" height, my guess was that he was just over 6'0" tall.

"Hey, I'll take a chocolate Frappuccino and a piece of that blueberry pie please." he said in his deep, sexy voice.

I smiled at him. "Coming right up." I said as I got to work on the Frappuccino.

As I was working on his drinking he looked at me shyly. "So, umm... you go to my school right?" he asked shyly.

"Yea, I've been there for the past three years. Weren't you the new guy that started last year?" I asked him smiling slightly.

He nodded shyly. "Yeah, my family moved here during the summer before junior year so here I am. Um... my name's Jett." he said.

I finished up his Frappuccino and picked up a big slice of pie for him. "I'm Sophie, so why don't I see you around a lot at school. I mean, I know that neither of us is exactly popular in our year but I still see most kids in the cafeteria at lunch."

He nodded slightly and smiled shyly at me. "Good eye Sophie, and yea, I tend to keep more to myself."

"Well, if you need it, you can always eat with me and my friends once school resumes, I promise you, we don't bite." I replied jokingly.

He laughed slightly. "Well, I don't really know but you seem nice enough. But I have to get going so just tell me how much I owe you before I'm on my way."

I smiled at him. "It's $6.35."

He placed a ten dollar bill on the counter and pushed it towards me while grabbing his pie in a bag and his Frappuccino. "Keep the change."

"You don't have to do that." I said smiling, while working the cash register.

"It's fine, I'll see you around Sophie." he replied as he turned around and exited the coffee shop with a small wave of his hand.

Annie came back to talk to me with her eyebrow raised. "I thought you said that all the guys at your school were jerks. I am pretty sure that guy was one of the nicest guys you could find."

I shrugged. "He keeps to himself at school; I've never actually talked to him besides tonight." I replied smiling a bit.

"Well, I expect to be notified if anything happens with that sexy man once school resumes." she said smirking.

I just rolled my eyes at her. "Sure, but I doubt that."

However, inside I was smiling. Maybe the rest of my senior year wouldn't be that average after all.

*************************************************

Hello everyone! This is the first chapter of my new story, and I hope you all enjoy it.

If it's not too much to ask, I'd really like some feedback on this story and see who would continue reading it :)

Next Chapter: back at school :)

Vote/Comment/Fan/Share ! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.6K 1K 44
All the way throughout elementary school it was always Bella, Leo, Liz, Flynn, Nate, Elliot and Amelia. They were all long time friends.. In the sop...
4.2M 81.6K 28
Sophie's parents have shipped her off to a boarding school in Spain that can provide a better education for her. Now, after two years, her grades hav...
12 0 11
Lorelai is coasting in life. She's taking a gap year after graduating, and she's already turned 19. Jules, her much older (and much cooler) sister is...
640K 14.2K 30
Maddie can't remember the last 2 years, but she knows Ethan is the handsome boy who's been haunting her dreams. Do they have an insta-spark, or a pas...