ONYX

By Starmistie

-A Hades Collection Novel- All it took was one look- a curse- and a God to capture the heart of Alessandra... More

Meet The Characters
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Update
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Thirty Eight
ANNOUNCEMENT

Chapter Twenty-five

33 2 0
By Starmistie

“We have to go.”

“What’s wrong?”

They were calling again.

Zeus and Poseidon were persistent, and Hades had a feeling that they would be knocking on the door to his realm next. The buzzing in his head wouldn’t stop. Gods were immune to common illnesses that plagued humans, but Hades endured the headache that hadn’t been normal to him. He had to do something and continuously ignoring his brothers’ calls wouldn’t fix the situation. “I have business to take care of.”

“When will I see you again?” Alessa asked before she realized.

She was thrown off by the misery that’d harbored her tone. She actually didn’t want him to leave. Time with him had become enjoyable and when he wasn’t near, she felt empty inside. It was a weird reaction to him especially since she didn’t know the man, yet somehow she did.

He’d lurked in the shadows all of her life. He never left her side. Hades longed for the very moment when she’d come to him with hope in her eyes aimed only at him. He needed her, and she needed him. “I will be back soon.”

Very soon, he wanted to add because time spent with his brothers was always short. He didn’t like to be surrounded by them for too long even though they were the strongest together. However, he treasured his space. He liked the darkness that loomed over the Underworld and the control that was exclusive to him.

In Olympus, his baby brother, Zeus, called all of the shots. “I’ll show you the way back.”

Alessa took his hand in hers and noticed how perfect their hands fit together. They retreated the same way they came, but Alessa’s attention was drawn the beauty of the sea. It resembled the waters of Evyon that surrounded the kingdom, but there were actual people floating with the current. They were dead, of course, and yet they appeared so alive. The souls were white, like the clouds and their faces were hard to read. She could make out limbs, and hair, but she couldn’t identify either of them. Where did they come from?

Alessa had never imagined a life after death as being as simple as a contract. These symbols and signatures along the wall represented a person, and Alessa briefly wondered if her mother was among those documented on the wall. There were more questions that Alessa wanted to answer, but that’d have to wait until a different time when Hades wasn’t eager to leave. He led the way, and before they were gone, Alessa decided to take one last look. She turned around to take in the eerie sight before her.

Across the way was the outstretched cavern just like this side but she made eye contact with the three-headed beast that waited on that side. "Can they hear us?”

"No, they are all docile." Hades answered over his shoulder. He slowed his steps, realizing quickly that he hadn’t properly told her where they were yet. He didn’t want to exchange precious time with her for unwanted time with his brothers. A few more minutes wouldn’t hurt. 

"What do they see, a body of water around them, a spot of light they can never reach?" She questioned.

She stepped towards the edge, looking down to see bodies floating about. She hadn’t noticed that there was a bridge with no rails on the opposite side.

"They see what their mind conjures. It could be the last memory they had before they did, a happy memory from their childhood, or they could be dreaming. I only allow mercy to those that are deemed good. The dark souls will remain living in their torment." It was a treat for him to instill fear in the souls that’d done wrong in the world of the living.

"Hades, why did you make that deal with my mother? Why did you curse me?" Alessa’s eyes met his, but she looked beyond his blue irises that matched her so that she could find truth.

He wanted to tell her his reasons, but now wasn’t the time or place. "Your mother was desperate. She needed to believe what was happening and the trade was fair."

He denied offering any more information after that. He was a known trickster, much like the rest of the Gods and Goddesses, and his most infamous game was the one he played with Persephone. He led her to her demise by tricking her. And he used the same tactic on Alessa’s mother for selfish reasons.

Hades noticed Alessa's pure soul unlike any other; he knew that she would be perfect for him, even as he watched her grow and mature.

"Fair? How is that fair? A life, for a life, is that your grand plan?" Alessa asked calmly, confused rather than pensive. She needed to understand.

"Technically I only took one life, you are still alive. Your soul has not been claimed." He countered.

"Alive, but stuck here." She mumbled. 

"You are unhappy?" He questioned, waiting for her reply.

“I'm not unhappy. It’s that everything has changed and it’s hard to believe it. In Evyon I should have been married—a queen." Alessa came to terms with her fate in her real world.

Everyone around her had died. King James, Mary, Elizabeth, Daniel, and Greer. She had been so ready to end her life and had Hades not saved her she would be writhing in her own form of hell, reliving every death that she caused.

Now, that seemed fair.

Admittedly, since she started living here she was free, it had been a stress free experience but Alessa still didn't trust this. Seeing this man who attracted her attention so much, and knowing he was the God who collected the dead. It was strange to accept but seeing it was different. He wasn't as dark and cruel as he seemed to put out.

People fear what they don't know, Alessa thought to herself. 

"In Evyon, people depended on choices made by a man with a title. They don't see that it becomes a burden because they don’t believe we feel love or hate as strong as they do. They don't believe we cry when we grieve, or smile when we are joyful. Here in the Underworld nothing has been socially unnerving and it's truly wonderful to have such a silence and moment of peace to myself. I just think I am ready to do something productive now."

Alessa stood firm with what she said. She’d found a new confidence that she never knew she had. Finally she had admitted what she believed, that she didn’t want that life back in Evyon. There was nothing for her back home. Now, she felt as if she was breaking free. She was no longer a princess; she had no parents to speak for her and no one to marry. She was no longer Princess Alessandra who must do this and must do that. Nor would she worry about touching those around her would kill them.

Hades was pleased with her answer. "I am glad, Alessa. I really am. I—”

There it was again.

The silent alarm in his head that told him that Zeus or Poseidon was summoning him. Hades rubbed his temples to keep the buzz at bay. “We really have to go.”

“Is everything okay?” She asked. This was twice now that he told them they had to go.

“Yes, everything is fine.” He reached for her hand, her bare hand that wasn’t covered in a glove so consistently. Her skin was so soft. “I’ll show you the way.”

They walked the way back, hand in hand, without talking the rest of the way. Alessa didn’t know what to say that would serve as a good conversation starter. She simply liked the silence and she enjoyed it.

Hades did as well.

But the silence made it easy to hear their cries. It could’ve been overlooked had they kept talking, but now she could hear it clearly. Soft cries could be heard in various tones. She almost stopped in her tracks to hear what sounded like cries for help, but Hades urged her forward. He didn’t count on them to do that now.

She was afraid to ask.

“Alessa . . .”

She stopped. She heard one particular voice above the rest of them. She turned back to the sea. It looked the same, but the voice still spoke, “Alessa . . .”

She listened to it once more. It sounded so familiar, and yet she couldn’t figure it out. Hades watched her closely; she heard something that he didn’t. “Alessa, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing, it’s just—”

“Alessa . . .” The voice said. “Save . . . me . . .”

And then it clicked. She knew the person talking to her; she just hadn’t heard that voice in a long time. She never thought she’d hear it again. Dad?

He was here. She was certain of it. She tried to look over the bridge, but Hades tugged her back. “Alessa, we need to go.”

“Yeah, o-okay.”

Winnie sighed. They’d been gone for a long time. Hypnos had been keeping her company, but even he couldn’t distract her from the worried thoughts that’d begun to crawl in her mind. The Underworld was dangerous. Though it may look uninhabitable, it was filled with sinister beings that Winnie still couldn’t imagine. She’d only been there once and that was enough.

“Look who decided to show up.” Hypnos said.

Winnie looked up to find Hades and Alessa surface. Winnie shot up from her seat and quickly made her way towards Alessa, throwing herself in her arms to hug her close. “I was so worried.”

 “I’m fine, Winnie.” Alessa said, hugging her back. “Really, I was with Hades.”

“Hypnos, I have to go. I trust that you’ll keep things in order while I’m away.” Hades said. He patted Winnie’s shoulder while he walked past her and towards his best friend.

“You got it.” Hypnos said.

“Make sure you keep an eye on Alessa.” Hades felt like it didn’t have to be said, but he wanted to reiterate. Alessa was to be catered to by all means and she was to be kept safe at all times.

“I know, Hades. Don’t worry.”

“I’ll be back soon.” He stepped away from them, his eyes finding Alessa’s and never leaving them.

He pictured Olympus and in an instant he was there. It was the mountain in the clouds, a fortress. Hades knew his way around it and soon he found the throne room. It was a room that was normally filled with the other Gods and Goddess, but today there were only two.

“Hades, it’s about damn time.”

Rolling his eyes, Hades looked at his younger brother who spent days pestering him. “Zeus, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

744K 26.2K 44
"She is dangerous." They warned. "Now is she?....just a regular werewolf." "It isn't that simple and you aren't so naive but we trust King Hades that...
697K 39.9K 61
❛THEY WOULD TELL YOU OF A KING WHO STOLE ME HELPLESS FROM MY SUNSHINE GARDEN.❜ They won't tell you about the woman who came to him sublime, lily eyes...
198K 5.3K 39
Persephone has already been kidnapped by Hades, her unwanted and unexpected suitor. Demeter has already cast a famine on all the humans in her grief...
202K 5.2K 35
The man on the throne abruptly stood up, his dark black eyes shining with an untammed flame, one that turned everything into embers. It was obvious t...