come closer || nh au

By nothisiseileen

Violet is a usually quiet, book loving girl with a fable for online book blogs, tattoos and obsessing over Co... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty

thirty-one

2.7K 61 28
By nothisiseileen

I sit down at the lunch table next to Mere. She just gives me a smile. Mia and Riley sit opposite to us. The others aren't here yet. I just had AP Physics and my class after lunch is actually cancelled but I have to meet with Mr Melroy and Niall because he wants to talk to us about our project. He held us back yesterday after class and told us to meet him towards the end of lunch. We also have our last real band practice before Homecoming this afternoon in the auditorium. Then on Friday we have soundcheck and have to set up our stuff. I'm actually looking forward to playing at Homecoming. The songs we prepared are amazing and I believe this night will be amazing. Soon enough a strong hand grips my shoulder, making me jump a bit. I look over, seeing Niall standing there. He smiles at me. The sandwich in my hand is suddenly snatched from me by another person, making me look up to meet my brother's eyes. He takes a bite from my sandwich, almost eating the whole thing.

"Hey, what the heck?", I ask, kind of shouting.

"You're getting home in like an hour, shut up!", he groans in a teasing way. He sits down next to Mia.

Luke and Jake decided to skip school today because they're going to a Drake concert tonight and they want to be pretty close to the stage. I'm kind of jealous but I don't really like Drake. The last time I was at a concert was a little more than a year ago. I saw Bring Me The Horizon live in concert. It was awesome. I went with my Dad because he liked them. He went into the pit with me. It was funny but the bruises I had the next day were crazy.

"Here, you can have my sandwich. I packed some more because I knew someone would be hungrier than their lunch would allow", Niall's voice erupts next to me.

He lays a peanut butter and jelly sandwich down in front of me.

"Thanks", I say, taking the sandwich and starting to eat.

Conner and Lilian join us soon enough. Ryan is nowhere to be seen but I guess he's sitting with his jock friends. He's a football player. Then I remember that Niall asked me to go to the football game with him on Friday and go home with him after Homecoming.

"Niall", I say, turning my head towards him.

He looks at me while biting into his apple.

"Uhm, you asked, if I would go to the game with you and go to your place after Homecoming. I'd love to do both. I also talked to Wesley", I whisper the last part, just so no one else hears.

He nods, smiling a little. I continue eating my sandwich, enjoying it. We talk about the most random stuff during this lunch period. Mere and Ryan are official now and they're going to the movies on Sunday. Mia and Luke went on a Date on last Sunday and didn't tell anyone but she spilled it. Conner didn't do anything but play video games. Riley was stuck at her grandparents place and Jake got high with some other friends in the bushes at the park.

"And what did you do, Niall?", Wesley now asks, throwing a smirk at him and I.

I glare back at him. Niall finishes his bite and looks at me shortly before answering.

"Well, Saturday was the party and Sunday Violet and I went ice skating in my parents ice rink that they rent to the local hockey team", he tells everyone.

Mere looks like her eyes are about to fall out of their sockets. I just continue eating and try my hardest not to blush too much. Everyone just goes back to eating but I feel someone kicking me under the table. I look up, seeing Mia having an eyebrow raised at me. She looks really surprised. Usually, I tell the girls everything. I never have too many secrets in front of them but anything including Niall, I'm trying to keep pretty much secret. It's not that I don't trust them, I just feel like I need some privacy, too. I don't know everything special from their relationships. Soon enough, I feel Niall poke me in the arm, so I look over at him.

"We should go to meet Mr Melroy", he says, nodding towards the clock.

I let my eyes skim over to the clock, seeing lunch is over in fifteen minutes. I nod at Niall and start packing my things. Niall also packs up his things and throws his backpack on his back before standing up.

"See you later, guys", I speak up.

"See you", some of them reply.

I take my backpack and follow Niall to Mr Melroy's room. We knock on the door once before a "Come in" echos from inside of the room. Niall opens the door and lets me step in first. Mr Melroy is currently sorting some papers on his desk while sipping on his coffee, I assume. He looks up, as we step inside.

"Ah, Violet, Niall, please have a seat!", he exclaims, setting his coffee down and getting something from his desk drawer.

Niall and I quickly sit down on some desks in front of Mr Melroy's huge desk. He looks up at us, smiling a bit.

"Well, if it isn't the perfect photography duo", he smiles, handing over our portfolio to our project, "I've graded yours first. Congratulations, I haven't given out an A+ in quite some time and that's why I have decided to ask you two, if you two want to participate in a statewide photography competition against other students of your age group."

I look over at Niall. He just shrugs lightly.

"We'll have to think about it. We also need to ask our friends and family, if they want to be seen statewide by judges", Niall answers, "But I think we'll do it. But we'll tell you soon."

"The entry due date is next Wednesday, so I need your permission until Tuesday, so I can sign you up that evening", Mr Melroy speaks, raising an eyebrow.

"Thank you, Mr Melroy. It's very nice of you to ask us", I smile, looking at the portfolio in my hands.

I open it and look through it. He put post-its on every photograph and put a small comment on it. I hand Niall the portfolio, seeing him just skim through it quickly before giving it back to Mr Melroy.

"Well, I'd be glad to hear a positive reply from you", our teacher speaks.

*****

"So, we have this last practice and that's it. You should play all songs and see how it is. I think you can do this and you're an amazing band anyway, so let's do this. Did you all get the setlist I talked through with the student council by e-mail?", Mr Fitz asks.

"Yes", we all speak in unison.

"Good, did you print it out?", he asks, giving us a suspicious look before one of us answers.

Well, I was too lazy to turn on my printer yesterday and print it out, so I shake my head. Mr Fitz groans, getting some pages from his bag and handing one page to everyone. Well, we have some happy and party-ish songs for the beginning and the slow ones for the end. Niall and I are singing three slow songs, so actually just him and I won't be able to slow-dance then unlike Mere and Justin. But I really don't want to slow-dance with Niall when everyone is watching. I'm not quite comfortable with the whole school knowing that we're getting closer.

"Then let's go, guys", Mr Fitz speaks up.

Niall counts down for us and we start playing "Kill the Director" by The Wombats.

"I've met someone that makes me feel seasick. Oh, what a skill to have, oh, what a skill to have. So, many skills that make her distinctive. But they're not mine to have, no, they're not mine", Niall sings, hitting every tone.

I bob my head while playing my chords and going through the complete songs without a mistake. We've practiced these songs so many times that it seems impossible for us to mess up at Homecoming. Justin really beats his drums, making me smile in happiness. Mere also seems to get way better at guitar everytime we play. Soon enough, Niall finishes off the song. Mr Fitz seems pretty statisfied with our work. The next song is "I'm just a Kid" by Simple Plan. I decided that we should do this one because I know quite a few people besides me that actually enjoy this style of music.

After a few more songs, we decide to quit. Niall and I will practice one last time at the soundcheck in the gym. Mr Fitz said that the tech-club will help us build up everything and some of the football players will come to build up everything with the Homecoming committee, which Riley and Mia are actually part of.

"I'll be back in a few to lock up. Just make sure you take everything with you. See you on Friday", Mr Fitz says, standing up and leaving while we pack up our guitars and our equipment.

The auditorium doors close with a loud bang and we just stay silent. There is somewhat of a awkward tension in the room, as we all finish packing our things. I didn't come with my motorcycle but Wesley dropped me off earlier. He said I should call him to pick me up. I hope he even answers his phone. We said he should definitely be here by 4:45pm and it's currently 4:30pm.

"I'm leaving", Justin says, having Meredith close on his heels.

"Same for me, see ya", she shouts, leaving the auditorium.

Now it's just Niall and I, as usual. He is completely silent, just like I am.

"So, do you have a lift home?", he asks, kind of an awkward tone in his deep voice.

"Yeah, I'm supposed to call Wesley but he said he'd pick me up by 4:45pm", I answer him.

"Do you want me to wait with you?", he questions, scratching the back of his neck while giving me a sheepish smile.

He seems like he's wanting for me to say yes with his smile so shy and his eyes kind of looking at a spot on the floor. He looks up, taking his guitar. I smile back and just nod lightly. He seems to relax a little, as I react so positive to his plead. We leave the auditorium in silence, no words being exchanged. Niall plays around on his keychain while we walk to the tree where I'm supposed to wait on Wesley. We sit down on the bench beneath it, having some distance between us. I set my guitar between my feet, so I can lean my head against it. I'm really exhausted from today.

"So, about the game on Friday, can you pick me up at 5:30pm? My car's going to be at the workshop for that night. I'll pick it up Saturday morning", Niall requests.

"Sure, but I'll be coming with my mother's car because she's off of work that say and since Wesley always has our shared car", I explain.

"Sounds good to me. And then on Saturday, I'll
be at your place to pick you up for pictures at the lake and bridge at around 3:30pm. We'll eat at that fancy Italian place in downtown Tuscaloosa, Meredith already told me. After that we'll be at Homecoming by 6:45pm. We have to be onstage at about 7:30pm and we finish at, I think, 8:30pm. Then we'll have until 11:00pm to be there and dance and shit. After all of that we'll drive to my place and watch some movies, if you like", he suggests a time plan for Saturday.

He actually planned this all through. Then I suddenly remember. Did he buy tickets? And I still have to order a boutonnière and a corsage, if he didn't do that already. And I have to pick up my dress from alterations tomorrow. And then we, aka Mia, Mere, Riley and I, are getting our nails done tomorrow around 4:30pm. That means I have to pick up my dress before the nail appointment. Oh sheesh, these are some first world problems though. I'm not complaining, it's my fault that I planned this so shortly.

"Did you get tickets? Did you order a boutonnière and a matching corsage?", I ask.

"I did all of that", he says, smiling in a mocking way, "I know how much you hate Homecoming and dances but I thought I'd make this one more special."

I smile and thank him. What is wrong with me and why is my heart pounding so fast in my chest? It's just Niall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 3.3K 61
Hoodies hide my ugly body from the people around me. Just one night it didn't work and I met him on the roof of the abdonned house. He wanted to help...
234K 7.9K 52
This is my story to tell and I am going to tell it. This story is about a boy, he was so broken before he met the loves of his live. Louis William To...
840 19 28
Harry and Katie have always been best friends. The only issue is that Katie was in love with him. That is until something seemed to go wrong on her 1...
49.3K 1.3K 53
*this story contains mature and explicit content.* [on going] rules, secrets, and lies all get uncovered eventually. and then what remains is the b...