Nothing To Fear ....

By Starelf555

Black Veil Brides are in rural Virginia, looking for some quiet time for writing songs, and maybe laying down... More

It
Not Gonna Happen !
Chance Of Freedom
Let's Play
Prey
Unwanted Gifts
The Hunter Becomes The Hunted
Nature Walk Gone Wrong
Call For Reinforcements
Rallying The Troops
More Guts Than Common Sense
Serious Connections
"You Don't Know The Half Of It"
Caught On Camera
Everyone Has Secrets
Watching And Waiting
Rude Awakening
Road Hazard
Ultimate Adrenaline Junkie
Council Of War
Racing The Storm
Unexpected Guests
Theories
What The Hell ... ?
This Is A Test
Candid Conversations
Backup Plan
Unsettling News
Taking Action
Rescue Mission
Battle Plans
Turning The Tables
Urgency
Sweet Taste Of Terror
This Place Is Evil
It's Now Or Never
It Stops Now
I'm Still Here
Corrective Measures
You Can Go Home Now
Back To Normal?

Get Out Of My Way

36 5 2
By Starelf555

      The four men huddled together on the frozen dirt floor , trying to conserve what little warmth remained in their bodies . Even though they had all dressed warmly to unload the truck , the lack of motion , combined with the chill leaching into them from the frigid floor , had them all shivering . After a brief , whispered discussion , they decided to risk standing up , hoping that it wouldn't set the demon off . It pivoted in the air , turning all of its multiple eyes toward them , but made no move to stop them , so they stood and stamped their feet , hoping this would help them warm up .

      "Shit , if we're here much longer , we won't have to worry about the damn demon !" , Jesse said . "We're all gonna be fuckin' popsicles !"

      Jon responded , "Well , if that happens , at least we won't have to ..."

      He broke off abruptly as a vibration shuddered through the ground beneath them , and a brief flash of sickly yellow light flashed from the far end of the unlit cellar . They glanced at each other in concern , and then turned their eyes back toward the source of the light , as they heard the demon begin to move .

      Their eyes , which had adjusted themselves to the darkness , were stung by the luminescence which began to spread across the area as their captor moved closer . As their vision cleared , they realized that the demon was being followed by a pair of new creatures , and that it was from them that the glow emanated . Their appearance was revolting , similar to a human , with their skin removed from their bodies , leaving only exposed muscle . They hissed and grimaced , flexing their long , wickedly clawed fingers , and leaking a greenish - yellow fluid , which was the source of the light .

      The demon pointed , and the creatures moved forward , as the floating thing began drifting back toward the main portion of the cellar , where the entrances were . One of them reached out and pulled Ashley against its chest , while the other stationed itself directly in front of the others .

      Chuckling , the demon croaked , "Before you think of being foolish , I shall have my pets demonstrate what the consequence will be ." Pointing to one of the skinless beings , it spoke several indecipherable words , and the creature turned it's head and spat a greenish stream onto the earthen floor . They all watched in shock as the spittle began to sizzle and smoke , leaving a hole in the frozen surface . This caused the demon to let out a gleeful cackle , and it chortled , "I see you understand . He will make sure you don't interfere , while my other pet delays your friends . By the time they reach us , if any of them do , I will have completed my transformation . Then you , and they , will provide me the nourishment I require ."

      It turned and shambled back in the direction it had come from , and the one who held Ashley followed , dragging him along , kicking and swearing , as the others watched , frustrated and helpless . They began to look around , hoping to find a way to elude their hellish guard and go to Ashley's aid , huddling close , so they could speak softly .

      "Any idea how much range that thing has with the acid spit ?" , Jon inquired . "If we move fast enough , and split up , do you think we could dodge it ?"

      "I have no idea , that would be one hell of a risk , since we don't know how fast these bastards can move ." , Jake replied . "If they're even half as fast as the other thing , it would be on us by the time we took three steps ."

      Jesse turned , and retorted , "So what do you suggest , then? We can't just fuckin' sit here on our asses while that thing basically destroys Ash !"

      A sudden creak , and the sound of footsteps above them caused them to pause , and look up . "Looks like we don't have to . Crane and the others are here ." , Jake said , allowing himself a faint grin . 

      Looking worriedly in the direction of the footsteps , Jon replied grimly , "Yeah , as long as they can get past the floater . If not , we're all royally fucked ." 

      At that moment , they heard Joe's voice , shouting , "Get down ! It's over your heads !" This was almost instantly followed by a low , vibrating hum which seemed to reverberate through their skulls , and which continued to increase in pitch . The three men covered their ears , even as Jake grinned widely , saying , "That's my girl ."

      The grin disappeared , however , when a wave of energy exploded from the direction that the demons had taken Ashley , knocking them back to the floor . They heard the sound of footsteps rushing toward them , and then something that chilled them even more than the glacial air around them -- a raw , profoundly anguished scream , that they had no doubt had ripped itself from Ashley's throat .

      "Oh , fuck !" , Jesse whispered hoarsely , as they all struggled to regain their footing . As Jake sat up , he saw Crane and Jenny moving rapidly toward them . They passed , either ignoring , or not spotting , the creature standing over them , but Jenny dropped a drawstring bag to the floor and kicked it toward them as she passed . 

      Jesse , with his longer reach , grabbed the bag and began fumbling with the drawstring closure . "Guns ." , he said , feeling the contents . "Feels like one for each of us ."

      As gunfire began to erupt from the direction of their other friends , he made another attempt to open it , but was momentarily distracted by another set of running footsteps . They all looked up , and saw Faith moving rapidly toward them , and their demonic guardian moved forward to intercept her .

      She slowed slightly , but didn't stop , and the three men were surprised to see that it was the monster , and not the woman , who appeared to cower and cover its eyes . She lifted the weapon in her hand and growled , "Get out of my way , fucker !"

      Then , without waiting to see if it would follow her instructions , she fired three shots , hitting the thing in the head , throat , and chest , dodging around it to continue following Crane and Jenny. As she moved away , she called back , "We consecrated the bullets , guys . Use 'em !"

      They finally got the bag open , and removed the weapons , quickly turning back toward the skinless demon . To their surprise , it lay writhing on the floor , unable to heal the damage that the blessed oil had inflicted . Looking at each other once again , the men reached an unspoken agreement . 

      As Jesse moved to follow Faith , Jon trained his weapon on the injured demon and began to fire , while Jake went in the other direction , shouting , "Hey , guys , I'm coming out ! Watch where you're shooting !"

      Jon methodically fired , one shot at a time , until the beast began to shrivel and steam , then turned to follow Jake . But , before he reached the rest of the group , He was met by an anxious - looking Hawley , who grabbed his shoulder , inquiring , "Where did she go ?"

      Jon pointed back the way he'd come ."She followed Jenny and Crane , after she shot the thing that was watching us . It was weird , it seemed to actually be scared of her , it was flinching back like a whipped dog ."

      "Must've been that necklace , lesser demons are more affected by things like that than the more powerful ones . Hopefully that'll keep her safe , if she doesn't do something crazy ."

      "Why would she do that ?"

      Hawley gave him a mirthless grin , and started moving in the direction that Jon had indicated . As he did , he threw his reply back over his shoulder . "For the same reason Crane went running into Hell's waiting room . They both want somebody they care about back . Right about now , if it wasn't a vicious , murdering demon , I'd almost pity the thing . Between those three , the bastard doesn't stand a chance ."

      Before Jon could even begin to process this response , the rest of the group began running toward , and then past , him , following Hawley into the depths of the cellar . And after only a moments hesitation , he moved as quickly as his near - frozen limbs would allow to catch up , knowing that they were all focused on a single goal :

      Get rid of the demon , and get Ashley back , alive and still human .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.1K 1.2K 23
Scarlett was a depressed 21 year old girl, she has been filled with vile fear of her mother and the fear of losing her father. She always used to be...
6.5K 874 47
"Am I going to break you, Case? Or are you bamboo?" The days are dry and hot, school is out, and all 17-year-old Case wants to do is party hard with...
4.8K 87 34
[Editing in (very slow) progress] There's whispers in the Legion, about someone called the Psyche, the key to defeating the enemy. A young woman name...
6.3K 1K 69
Donovan Castle Chronicles: Volume 1 Welcome to Donovan Castle! Mason and Selene opened their home as a safe haven for supernatural creatures to take...