Searching for Mr. Darcy

By RachelHamm

Maisie is unlucky in love. Not that she considers herself special, or anything - who hasn't been disappointed... More

Author Note
Scene One
Scene Two
Scene Three
Scene Four
Scene Five
Scene Six
Scene Seven
Scene Eight
Scene Nine
Scene Ten
Scene Eleven
Scene Twelve
Scene Thirteen
Scene Fourteen
Scene Fifteen
Scene Sixteen
Scene Seventeen
Scene Eighteen
Scene Nineteen
Scene Twenty
Scene Twenty-One
Scene Twenty-Two
Scene Twenty-Three
Scene Twenty-Four
Scene Twenty-Five
Scene Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Eight
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Thirty-One
Scene Thirty-Two
Scene Thirty-Three
Scene Thirty-Four
Scene Thirty-Five
Scene Thirty-Six
Scene Thirty-Seven
Scene Thirty-Eight
Scene Thirty-Nine
Scene Forty
Scene Forty-One
Scene Forty-Two
Scene Forty-Three
Scene Forty-Four
Scene Forty-Five
Scene Forty-Six
Scene Forty-Seven
Scene Forty-Eight
Scene Forty-Nine
Scene Fifty
Scene Fifty-One
Scene Fifty-Two
Scene Fifty-Three
Scene Fifty-Four
Scene Fifty-Five
Scene Fifty-Six
Scene Fifty-Seven
Scene Fifty-Eight
Scene Fifty-Nine
Scene Sixty
Scene Sixty-One
Scene Sixty-Two
Scene Sixty-Three
Scene Sixty-Four
Scene Sixty-Five
Scene Sixty-Six
Scene Sixty-Seven
Scene Sixty-Eight
Scene Sixty-Nine
Scene Seventy
Scene Seventy-One
Scene Seventy-Two
Scene Seventy-Three
Scene Seventy-Four
Scene Seventy-Six
Scene Seventy-Seven
Scene Seventy-Eight
Scene Seventy-Nine
Scene Eighty
Scene Eight-One
Scene Eighty-Two
Scene Eighty-Three
Scene Eighty-Four
Scene Eighty-Five
Scene Eighty-Six
Scene Eighty-Seven
Scene Eighty-Eight
Scene Eighty-Nine
Scene Ninety
Scene Ninety-One
Scene Ninety-Two

Scene Seventy-Five

1.2K 89 3
By RachelHamm

The apartment had an eerie, quiet aura the next morning as she scrambled eggs and buttered toast.  Talia had already left for work and she assumed all her neighbors had as well, as there were none of the usual bumps, thumps, and random voices coming through the walls.  She felt an enormous sense of relief when her phone rang, breaking the stillness.

"Hey Anabeth," she said, answering it.

"Mom's in the hospital," came the brisk reply.

Maisie dropped her fork.  It clanged off her plate and tumbled to the floor.  Dashwood sprang after the scattered eggs. "What - what happened?"

"Don't worry, she's going to be fine.  She slipped on her front steps this morning and broke her femur."

"Jesus."  Maisie hand had gone to her chest and the heartbeat under it would have given her heart surgeon sister cause for worry.  "Don't start the conversation with 'Mom's in the hospital,' you had me thinking she was dying."

"There you go, being dramatic again."

Maisie could be wrong, but she thought she detected a smile in her sister's voice.  "Which hospital? I'll head right over."

"She'll never forgive you if you don't.  Duke.  My colleagues are already giving me a hard time about what a difficult patient she is."

"Big shocker there."  Maisie laughed.  "I'll see you soon."  She gulped down the rest of her breakfast, took a baby wipes shower, and was out the door in twenty minutes.

****

"Well, look who decided to finally show up to check on her injured mother," Momma Frampton simpered when Maisie walked into her hospital room.

"I literally could not have gotten here any faster," Maisie answered.

"I'm in a lot of pain, not that you bothered to ask."

Maisie sighed.  "How are you feeling, Mom?"

"I just told you I was in pain," Mrs. Frampton snapped.

Maisie took another deep breath.  "Can I get you anything?"

"Hmph.  These nurses aren't good for anything.  They act like I'm a burden to them.  I'm just asking them to do their job."

"Where's Anabeth?" Maisie asked, knowing the best way to deal with that particular bout of insanity was to change the subject.

"She had to start her shift.  Probably in surgery now.  It's good at least one of my daughters made use of her natural brains and talents."

Her other daughter had a sudden urge to grab something sharp and plunge it into the crisp what plaster cast covering her mother's leg.  She guessed that would be frowned upon, though.  "As fate would have it, I'm thinking about switching careers."

"Oh really?  And what embarrassing thing are you going to do with your life now?"

"Not sure, but I see the headline Local Woman Loses it and Suffocates Mother with a Pillow in my future."

"That's not funny."

"Depends on who you ask.  Why don't I go get you a little snack?"

"I'm not hungry!" Mrs. Frampton snapped.

"Oh really, because you're biting my head off."

"Clever," her mother sneered.

"Yeah, you know a lot of people do think I'm clever, even if the woman who gave birth to me doesn't think so.  You're more ornery than usual, your blood sugar is probably low, so I'm going to get you a snack."

She flung the door open and left before her mother could make any more objections.  Her face was so hot she could have roasted marshmallows on it and made some tasty S'mores.  Of course, her mother would tell her she didn't need the calories.  Which just made Maisie angrier.

It took her five minutes to realize she had turned in the wrong direction when she left her mother's room and now she had no idea where in the hospital she was.  She glanced around for signage indicating how to get to the lobby or cafeteria, but only saw room numbers.  The hallway was empty and quiet, so she turned to head back the way she came, until a squeak of a shoe on the tiled floor behind her stopped her.  She turned to ask for directions and her heart jumped into her throat.  "Marcus!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 10.8K 50
Oddball Mabel has always been quirky. Maybe it's due to the fact that she was homeschooled or perhaps it was because of her parents who sheltered her...
1.8M 57.1K 51
Highest rankings: Chicklit: #1 (11th May 2020) Soccer: #1 (21st June 2020) High school: #6 (22nd August 2020) Crush: #27 (22nd August 2020) Follow my...
523K 27.4K 40
❝Darling, you're a fool to think he feels the same way. ❞ ❆ In which a girl is dared to date a random guy for a month. And then dum...
2.3K 118 8
A short, imperfect story of a perfect couple. Except the character name, everything is real. The story revolves around two lovers, who started knowin...