Bride Price ✔

By blackxbelle

"You know I cannot commit such atrocity my love. I cannot sleep with anothers wife." Tomori stressed, looking... More

Bride Price
Prologue
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
Epilogue
The Nigerian Watty Awards 2018!
Rankings as at 10/05/2018
Nigerian Writers Awards 2018- Voting!
Surprise Surprise!

I

2.2K 381 50
By blackxbelle

Second things second
Don't you tell me what you think that I could be
I'm the one at the sail, I'm the master of my sea.

-Believer, Imagine Dragons.

...

Fire.

Abebi had always loved fire. The way it danced carefree, threatened anyone who stepped near it, the blue and yellow flames mixing together in perfect harmony, and the fact that it was so harmful yet so useful.
She wished she was like fire sometimes. Fearsome, strong, rebellious, yet no one would be able to do without her. She shook her silly thoughts away from her mind and looked around her.

Looked back at reality.

Her mother had gone to their father's hut, as it was her turn to spend the night with him, and Abebi was left with her five brothers. Her three older brothers sat at one side of the room, gulping down their pounded yam and vegetable soup while arguing about a boxing match that took place almost two full moons ago. Her two younger brothers on the other hand, were playing with their food, and she sighed deeply, knowing that she would be the one to clean up after them.

It was moments like this that made her miss her older sister, Ashabi. Ashabi had been married for two years already, and had one son the last time she saw her. She also heard that she gave birth to the forbidden twins, and she felt pity for her sister, for she had to go through such fate. To give birth to twins was already difficult, and after the pain of childbirth, the children were sent back to the gods. She never liked Ashabi's betrothed, he was handsome to look at, but once he started to boast about all his feats, he suddenly became repulsive.

But her sister was happy, and as for her, she still remained here. She had heard her mother talk to her father about some men that were already coming to ask for her hand, and she had an idea of who some of them were.

Demola, the popular palm wine tapper had begun to greet her on her way back from the stream, and one time, she heard him tell his friends how her wide hips would be good for childbearing.

Okiki, one of the carvers of the kingdom had carved beads for her to wear a full moon ago, and although she had refused it, he gave it to Mama instead who forced her to wear it anytime she passed his hut.

"You should be happy that the good men of this kingdom are now showing you attention, especially now that you are of age. Very soon, your father would pick the most eligible suitor for you." Mama had said this morning and Abebi just nodded dutifully.

There was nothing wrong with marriage, she had grown up to know that it was her duty, to bring more people into this world, to be a man's wife, to take care of a home.

But now that she was of age, she was suddenly afraid.

She wished that she was a man instead. Men were like fire; but women, they were the ones that got burnt.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sounds of the loud gong outside their hut. It was the town crier. They all kept silent to listen to the news he had to bear. She hoped there was no war.

"All the virgin maidens of Asiwaju Kingdom are to meet at the palace square, a full moon from now, for a beauty pageant. Our great Oba would pick a winner and she would be his new wife-"

"New wife?" Abebi thought out loud.

"Abebi, you want to be the Olori abi?" Her oldest brother Tokunbo teased and the others laughed.

"I have no interest in getting betrothed to a man old enough to be my father." She replied firmly, turning away to listen to the town crier.

"-all virgin maidens must be present, and failure to do so would attract death."

"Death!" She gasped. "And why would this be so important to the Oba? He already has seven beautiful wives." Abebi said.

"Seven beautiful old wives." Tokunbo countered. "He is looking for one that would bear him a son, he has no Aremo yet. Maybe you would be the lucky one. It would be an honour to be the Oba's wife, and if you bear him a son, he would make you his Olori."

Instead of replying, she picked their clay bowls up from the ground, going outside to wash them. If she argued, she could get in trouble with her father. As a woman, she was meant to listen to the man. She wondered what her other step sisters would think about it.

As she tried to scrub the stubborn pieces of pounded yam of the bowls, she heard her brothers plan how rich they would be if she became the Oba's wife. He would make them chiefs for sure, and while they would live freely, she would be with a man five decades older than her.

She shuddered.

She was not the most beautiful girl in the kingdom, her skin did not glow like most girls did, and her hair was not long. Her hips were wide, but her breasts were smaller, perhaps the Oba would not choose her because she might not be able to feed his son to satisfaction. She had three horizontal tribal marks across her two cheeks that men often praised, but all in all, there were maidens more beautiful than she was.

There had to be.

...

Abebi joined her sisters with her own clay pot in front of their compound at the crack of dawn. They had to go to the stream, as they did every morning, to fetch water, wash their clothes and bodies.

Papa was married to two wives, which was rather small compared to the number of wives most of the men in the village had. But they were poor, and he could only marry two because he could only afford bride price for two. Now that his daughters were reaching the ages of marriage, he was ready to enjoy the bride prices that would come out of them. Mama Abebi was the first wife, giving him more sons than daughters, and Mama Yetunde was the second wife, giving him more daughters than sons.

Abebi walked into their conversation about the town criers announcement the previous night. "Abebi, are you excited for the pageant?" One of her sisters, Yetunde, asked.

"No. I do not know why they would make young maidens marry an old king." She replied defiantly.

"Abebi! Do not let anyone hear you. Even the gods can punish you for such statement. You can only pray that you do not win if you are not interested, but do not talk against the Oba." Yetunde scolded and Abebi nodded in understanding.

"Why would you pray to not win? To be a queen would be a glorious feat, servants at my beck and call, more clothes, money and food than I can imagine, and if I bear a son, I would be the Olori!" Sade, her other sister was bubbling with excitement.

"None of the king's wives have bore him a son, what makes you think you are any different?" Titi chipped in.

"Do not spoil my fantasies sister! I am only saying what I want, just as Abebi said what she wanted." Sade snapped.

"What about you Yetunde? You are already betrothed to Lanre, and your ceremony is in four full moons from now." Abebi asked and they all kept quiet, waiting for their elder sisters reply.

"I am still a virgin, and so I would still have to attend the pageant. If I get picked, then I can forget about my ceremony with Lanre." Yetunde replied, her voice cracking.

"Do not cry sister. There are a lot of maidens in this kingdom, the king might not choose you." Sade said and they all nodded in agreement.

As they neared the stream, they saw the other girls of the kingdom, chattering away as they filled their clay pots with water.

She could only guess what they were talking about with so much excitement and happiness.

...

Getting back to her mother's hut for the umpteenth time, their pots were finally full. As the only remaining daughter of her mother, she had to do all her chores alone.

"Abebi." Her mother called.

"That is my name." She replied. It was normal to not answer a voice until you see the person, as it could be an evil spirit calling you instead.

"Come inside here my daughter." Her mother said and she bent her head, walking into the hut. She sat down opposite Mama, already expecting the words that would follow.

"We would be going to the market square tomorrow, so you must rise early." Mama said and Abebi nodded.

"May I ask why Mama?"

"I have convinced your Papa to give me some cowries, so I can purchase new attires and beads for you. You have to be the most beautiful maiden at the pageant." Mama said with conviction in her voice. "We have to go early, because when the day comes closer, the rush would be too much to handle. So we have to get the best first."

"Yes Mama." She replied dutifully.

"Are you excited Abebi? Have you thought about all the benefits you would get as the Oba's betrothed?

"Yes Mama."

"If there's any maiden in this kingdom that would catch the eye of Oba Eniafe, it has to be you."

...

Welcome to chapter one loyal subjects!

After the prologue, Bride Price was ranked #538 in historical fiction! I cannot believe it. I couldn't stop squealing! So fast! Keep the votes and comments coming guys!

Banners are welcome!

What are your thoughts on Abebi and her family?

Tribal marks were a means of beautification in those days. So as a baby, a blade would be used to make marks on your cheeks. Then when it heals, the scars would be permanent. Till this day, some people still believe in it!

The Aremo is the Crown Prince

The Olori is the head queen. The King usually had more than four wives, so the Olori was either the first wife, or in rare cases, the favorite wife. So in a traditional setting, the king sat on a throne, the Olori on a stool, and the other wives on a mat.

Also, twins, triplets, albino and any child that wasn't one and normal coloured was referred to as an "evil child" or in some cultures "ogbanje". The children would either be killed, sacrificed, or thrown into the evil forest to die and decay.

Thank God for civilization 😅😅😅

The pageant is in the next chapter so stay tuned!

Is the book historical enough?

Questions?

Advice, suggestions, criticism, they are welcome. Let me know what I'm doing wrong or right.

Don't forget to:

Vote - You! Don't leave here without pressing that star button 😉

Comment - Let me know what you think. I'm a writer in training.

Follow - i'll follow back. I promise

Share - tell your friends and tell them to tell their friends.

Keep on being amazing my loyal subjects 👸

- Olori Timi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 8.8K 50
𝔇𝔞𝔴𝔫 𝔱𝔬 𝔇𝔲𝔰𝔨: 𝔐𝔞𝔫𝔢 𝔄𝔡 𝔙𝔢𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔯𝔲𝔪 A man to save, a dynasty to break and a love to die for. Come dive into a modern and desi ret...
Rajputana By Manika

Historical Fiction

214K 8.5K 28
"I am ready but there is only one problem that my month has come". She said while controlling her smile. Abhirath asked in confusion "what? month?? W...
40K 1.6K 32
I was brought out of my slumber, with a loud thud of the door slamming close & the sound of locking it after. It was too dark for me to see who exact...
3.2M 143K 46
In a world of monsters, is it possible to find the beauty in each other? Ice melts... Power ignites... Bonds forge... Just in tim...