Beautiful, Beautiful

By CharlayMarieWrites

**** From the 2016 Watty Award winning author of White Fire**** Burst into this fantasy fairytale and journey... More

Born of Beauty
The Village
Crow
No Privacy
Silver and Gold
The Welcoming Ball
Under the Castle
The Dance
A Garden of Schemes
George
Christian
Tea for Two
Happy Birthday
A Warning
The King's Library
Betrothed

Meeting the King

4.5K 337 93
By CharlayMarieWrites

Sun sat in a velvet cushioned chair, trying to breathe evenly against the tightened corset pushing at her sides. A maiden pulled at her head, bringing softly curled strands into a high bun. A grand, crystalized mirror was displayed before her, and she stared back at herself in awe.

Her bronze powered chest was stuffed into a white ruffled bodice, and emerald stones devoured her neckline. The maiden who had been powdering her face had returned to apply a red gloss to her lips. She wore a uniformed white dress and her hair was hidden beneath a white head wrap. Her face was plain but pretty, and her hands were calloused as if marked by hard labor.

The older maid at Sun's head dug an emerald clip into her hair to hold it in place. Small ringlets fell to the sides, completing the look. The younger maid stepped away from her and gave her a satisfied smile.

"Oh!" she chimed. "Mustn't forget the earrings. It goes well with the necklace. Prince Charming picked it out, himself."

"Prince Charming?" Sun asked her, turning away from the mirror to meet the young maid's bright, gray eyes.

"Prince Christian," the second maid corrected, her voice void of amusement. "It's a nickname we gave him as a child. He was quite the charming young lad."

"He ordered us to dress you in the finest clothes and to bedazzle you in his favorite stone. The emerald," the young one added, clipping jewels to Sun's ears. They were heavy and uncomfortable, but glimmered like a thousand stars. "He says you are to look esteemed in front of the King."

"And when am I to meet the King?" Sun asked, feeling anxious at once. She just wanted to go home.

"We are to take you to him as soon as we finish," the oldest maid said. "Please stand so that we may dress you."

Sun obliged, taking in the sight of the pearl colored gown displayed on a mannequin. It was the last piece to her outfit and would fit just below her bodice. The dress had barely recognizable prints that swirled and entwined, and every so often, a small emerald jewel sprouted out of it.

It was only an hour ago that Sun had arrived at the castle. There had been an excited crowd just outside of the castle doors, waiting to greet her, but as soon as Prince Crow opened the carriage door, he threw a black cloak over her and ushered her into the grand, archway. He then parted without a single word, leaving her with two servants, who knew just what to do with her.

Sun had been bathed in scorching hot water, which had softened her muscles and eased the ache in her bones. The water was scented with honey, lavender, and a hint of wild mint. The scents had worked to ease her mind, as if her mother had been the one to infuse the water with a calming potion. But the moment Sun withdrew from the bath, every single emotion returned.

She remembered she'd been taken. She remembered the prophecy, which concluded as much, and now she sat in the castle - a castle she was sure to doom.

Be careful with this one. She will be beautiful enough to cause chaos, war, and destruction. She will turn brother against brother and husband against wife...

No one is to ever know you exist...

"What do you think?" the young maiden asked, smiling at her through the mirror.

"I think I want to get sick," Sun admitted, staring into the eyes of the stranger who marveled at her. "I always dreamt of a moment like this and yet not like this at all. Dreams are easier to brave than reality, I suppose. I simply wish to be home."

"Well, wishes won't do you well around here," the older maid told her. Her voice was sharp and direct. "I feel saddened by your fate, but now isn't the time to fall apart. You'd do best to impress the King, which I find won't be hard for you. He will examine you and give you a title and ranking amongst his kingdom. The more pleased he is by you, the higher your ranking will be. Do not show fear or disrespect. Bow when you first see him and bow again when he dismisses you. And always, always address him as King. He hates any other title or form of respect."

There was a knock on the door. "Time awaits no one," the younger maid said while guiding Sun toward the door, lifting the sewn in hood above her head. "Good luck."

Sun was pushed into the wide, marbled corridors where two knights greeted her. "Follow us," one said, his voice muffled by the metal helmet atop his head. Sun nodded, and fell into place behind them as they began to escort her.

On either side of Sun, she noticed the large, golden embroidered paintings that danced along the wall. They were portraits of past Kings and Queens, of landscapes and rivers, of oceans bluer than reality. When the paintings ended, they took a right into a double door that opened into a massive, high pillared room.

The flagstone flooring stretched to the high ceilings. Small windows that lined the walls allowed for the sunlight to spill into the room and built so that rays of sun focused only on the throne. Sun took in the audience of observers to her right. They were seated in maroon chairs, eyes fixated on her, but they couldn't see her face. The large hood neatly draped over her head hid her face from the naked eye.

She allowed her eyes to follow the rays of sun toward the golden, throne where the King sat. He was regal in a long, t-shaped tunic embroiled in gold thread. His eyes were hard as he stared at her shadowed face. To the right of him, Prince Christian sat, his mouth slightly ajar with anticipation. He was even more glorious in a silky emerald tunic, outlined in white. His light brown, shoulder length hair was nearly blonde under the shimmering sun rays, and his hazel eyes were more green than brown. He certainly was the same man she'd run into at the dress shop.

To the King's left sat Prince Crow, drab in all black, with an array of daggers lining his waist. It was clear that he had cleaned and changed, but his disheveled hair looked intentionally untouched. Sun's eyes only lingered on him for a second before moving on to the princess.

Her gown was soft pink, and it formed into a delicate rose at her chest. Diamonds were her choice of jewelry, and white gloves ran up her arms, stopping just below her elbows. Her blonde hair was the same color as Sun's, but it was short, stopping just below her cheeks in a waved design. A beautiful diamond encrusted crown sat on her head as her most prized possession. It was clear that the princess was as elegant as Sun was beautiful.

"Well?" the Princess asked, her nose twisting in a scrutinizing way. "Can we get this over with? I'm missing my tea time. Madam Violet plans to attend and I miss her conversations, dearly."

"Shortly, Adel," the King stated, his eyes still on Sun's hidden face. He then looked past her at the sea of onlookers, a mix of nobles and peasants alike. They were the first to arrive to catch a glimpse of her.

The knight beside Sun pushed her forward, and she almost fell as she stumbled before the throne. Remembering her maid's advice, she bowed as gracefully as she could manage in her too-tight gown.

"My King," Sun sang, trying to sound as effortlessly sophisticated as the princess. "I am Sun Di Tiore of the southern village, daughter of Coldwin and Asha Di Tiore."

"What are their soul gifts?" the King asked.

"Agriculture and potions, my King. My father owns a farm and my mother was a healer."

"Was a healer?"

"She passed away five years ago."

"My condolences," said the King. "I hear your gift is even greater. Please share."

Sun inhaled and reached shaky hands to her hood. The room erupted in sounds of wonder as she lowered the hood to reveal her face. Sun's eyes darted to Prince Christian, who shifted in his spot, his mouth opening wider as he took the sight of her in. Next, she dared a glance at Crow, who stood as still as the bark of a tree. His obsidian eyes were unreadable. Lastly, Sun rested her gaze on Princess Adel, who's perfectly groomed eyebrows raised with interest.

"I have the gift of beauty," Sun spoke, returning her eyes to the King.

A long moment passed before the King spoke again. His voice was low and affected. "And how am I just learning of such raw beauty? Such a gift should have been discovered by now."

Sun decided not to mention her father's treason by keeping her locked away. Instead, she said, "I lived deep in the woods. I rarely journeyed into town. We survived off of my father's farm. The harvest was plenty."

"Still an oddity," the King said with a frown. "Are you of age?"

"Eighteen, my King."

"Are you wed?"

"No, my King."

"Very well," the King clasped his hands together. "In honor of tradition, I will rank you based on your...wondrous gift. I find that when I look at you, I lose sense of my own will. I feel joy again. I feel youth and wonder. I feel alive in ways I haven't felt in a long time.

"You are not simply beautiful, you are a pure light. If I allowed you to shine, you would take away all traces darkness. And so, I will allow you to be my light, shining brilliantly, giving me glory and honor in front of my guests. You will be there to greet Kings and Queens as they come to the castle. You will entertain my noble guests at balls, and whenever I seem fit. And for doing so, I will give you riches and glory."

"In other words," Prince Crow spat, his eyes darkening by the second. "You'll be a trophy for his friends to gawk at. They may even try to play with you, deeming you a royal prostitute."

"Lies," Prince Christian retorted. "She will simply be like a beautiful painting that guests come to marvel at. Don't frighten the girl, brother."

The King ignored both of his sons as he continued. "You will live in the castle and be granted your own room. You will have personal servants to aid you as you become acquainted with my customs and demands. And whatever you desire will be yours, so long as you please me. Yes, Sun Di Tiore, I will give you the highest honor in my kingdom."

Sun no longer knew whether she wanted to scream or to cry. The only thing she was certain of was the possibility of fainting. The weight of the King's words added to the pressures of her corset, and she felt liked falling to the smooth floor.

There were so many things she had to wrap her mind around and become adjusted to. She knew nothing about the castle and the politics that took place within it. She had no idea how to entertain noblemen and women, let alone eat at their dinner table. She definitely didn't have the desire to learn. It was all too overwhelming.

A hand was at her side, and she lifted her eyes to find kind, hazel orbs focused on her. Sun hadn't noticed when the King and princess departed, leaving Prince Christian at her side while Prince Crow stood nearby, watching her with mild interest. How long had she been standing there, completely dazed?

"I finally have a name," Prince Christian smiled. "Sun. Very fitting. You look absolutely stunning, might I add."

"Thank you," Sun managed to say, holding a hand at her stomach. She swayed to the left, placing a hand on the Prince's broad shoulder to steady herself.

"Are you well?"

"I can barely breathe," Sun admitted. "I think I'll take to my room, if I may be excused."

"Certainly," Prince Christian agreed, daring a glance in his brother's direction. "Let me lead the way."

He took ahold of her hand, escorting her away from the King's throne and through the double doors. Sun followed him down a long corridor to a room with a golden door and crystal handle. He held it open for her to enter and walked in behind her.

This room was even grander than the last, and was specifically designed for a woman. Pink opaque curtains hung from the oversized windows that overlooked a pond. A white, upholstered sofa sat on top a furry rug. A large, golden-railed canopy bed leaned against a light pink wall. A large, white vanity adjacent the bed, housed powders and perfumes. A wooden wardrobe hung slightly open, already full of gowns and jewels.

Sun stopped in the middle of it all, her head pounding harder by the second. She began to sway again, and closed her eyes to concentrate.

"This will be your room," the Prince said, his voice smooth and soft. "I will call for your maids to attend to you. I'm sure this is all very overwhelming for you. Perhaps later, you can write home to your father and let him know that you made it safely."

"Thank you, Prince Christian," Sun said, turning to meet his charming face.

"My pleasure." He reached for her hand and placed a small kiss on her skin. He bowed once, graceful and breathtaking, and backed away to the door. "I shall see you soon enough, I suppose. Rest well."

Sun crumbled to the floor the moment the door shut.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

507K 919 14
- hubungan terlarang - konten dewasa - nsfw 18+ - pakde x ponakan
32.8K 1.1K 44
ညီဖြစ်သူသေဆုံးသွားရတာက သူ့ညီကောင်မလေးရဲ့အစ်မကြောင့်ဆိုပြီးလက်စားချေခဲ့ရာမှ...
184K 9K 51
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
67.3K 1.7K 77
an eighteen-year-old boy, trying his best to save his ass from being whipped by his soon-to-be husband, and at the same time, he wants to get away wi...