Guardians: Away Mission Book...

Από AuthorJMColes

#1 paranormal fantasy #1dragonlove #55 paranormal romance Alex and the dragon brothers Gabe, Cale, and Rile... Περισσότερα

Copyright notice/ Cover credit
Arrival Part 1.1
Getting to Know You Chapter 1.2
Party time! 1.3
Getting To Know You...Too Much 2.1
The Roman Circus 2.2
This Heart Ain't Built for Two...Ch. 2.3
Make A Change. 3.1
Release Me Ch. 3.2
Clutch Rights Ch. 4.1
Never Argue with Bathing, Resting, and Partying Ch. 4.2
Ick! Perverts! Ch. 4.3
Rescuing Razz 5.1
Tell Them What?! Ch. 5.2
Rescuing Gabe? Ch. 5.3
Sleeping Next To, Not With, Redone Ch. 6.1
Sacrifice to Political Expediency Ch. 6.2
Retrieving Alex Ch. 6.3
Of Palaces and Eggs Ch. 7.1
Fighting for the Boys Ch. 7.2
Saving Rile Ch. 7.3
Building A Harem? Ch. 8.1
Rescuing Razz....Again Ch. 8.2
Revolutionary Anolis Females...Still Evil...Ch. 8.3
Urgent Ch. 9.1
Before Battle Ch. 9.2
The Battle Begins Ch. 9.3
Post Battle Joy Ch. 10.1
Just When You Think The Battle's Over... Ch. 10.2
Back To Earth Ch. 10.3
The Beginning of the End? Ch. 11.1
Heads Will Roll... Ch. 11.2
Ch. 11. 3 The End
Betrayal - Book 3 of the Guardians Saga
Betrayal Ch. 1.1
Betrayal Ch. 1.2
Betrayal Ch. 1.3 Jabs Back and Forth
Cover Credit
Bonus Chapter: Sunning With Chameleons

Did he or Didn't He? Ch. 3.3

392 63 301
Από AuthorJMColes

Alex sat in the courtyard of the Institute and watched duels all morning. It was a common enough pastime and none were lethal.

The Gilas wrestled, the Chameleons used various weapons, and the Anolis used swords or daggers.

Currently two Anolis females were dueling with daggers, although one kept backing up from the swift lunges of another, rather than striking back.

The first Anolis charged, her opponent skipped backward and knocked into Alex. Then both were on top of her and dragged her into the bushes.

They pulled her into a side garden and released her. As neither used their daggers, Alex refrained from blasting them.

Alex stood up and saw Cla. She held the dagger that had sliced Alex's arm at the party.  Alex had no weapon, but let Cla think she was defenseless. Here there were no Gilas to keep her at bay, but Alex still didn't want to use her powers due to the lightshow.

Not yet. Let's see what the witch has planned.

This time Alex had an idea of Cla's style, which was to circle, watch, and then deliver a snake like strike.

To aggravate Cla, Alex kept harassing her with feints and dives, punching and kicking, keeping her off balance, unable to stand and watch for an opening.

Kickboxing did have a use.

Alex was almost enjoying herself when she spotted something in the grass.  She reversed her steps for a better look, but that put her back in Cla's reach.  She felt Cla's fingers lock onto her arm with a death grip. 

Cla managed a bloody swipe across her middle.  Alex dropped, dragging Cla with her.  Before Cla could regain her balance, Alex grabbed the polished wooden staff that had caught her attention and clouted Cla across the head. 

As Cla reeled, Alex scrambled to her feet.  She managed a jab to Cla's midsection.  Cla withdrew several feet away, breathing hard.  Alex smiled nastily and twirled the staff.

"On my world, this is considered a great weapon.  I have spent years training with it.  Care to continue?" Alex knew that Gabe would die to hear her lying like that, but Cla would never know the difference.

"I do not need to." Cla caught her breath. "I have already succeeded.  In a few weeks I will clutch.  Can you guess the father's identity, idiot mammal?"

Alex stop-blocked the staff. "You lie," Alex said through clenched teeth. "If that were true, you wouldn't have started this."

"Do I? Don't you remember? Didn't you believe your own eyes? I still want you dead, mammal, but I will settle for this victory.  Perhaps it is even better this way.  Now you will truly be alone and you will have to live knowing—"

Alex rushed, blind with rage.  The staff was torn from her grasp.  She felt searing pain shoot up her body as Cla slammed the staff across her newly healed leg.  She writhed on the ground as Cla stood over her.

"Now, mammal." Cla grabbed Alex's hair, pulled her head back, and laid her blade across Alex's throat. "Beg."

"Fire truck you. And the horse you rode in on."

"Alex?" a new voice asked.

It's Cale.  I should have known that he would be near when I found that staff.

"You can't turn them against me," Cla hissed in her ear. "I carry their leader's children. Keep quiet or you'll find that you're the villain here."  Cla melted into the woods.

Alex pulled herself up, leaning against the tree.

"Alex? Are you all right?"  Cale supported her.  "What happened?"

Alex hesitated. 

What should I say? Gabe would have a fit if he knew I was fighting with Cla again. But I no longer have to worry what Gabe thinks. He made his choice and the consequences are here.

Alex bit back the sudden rush of tears and said shakily, "Just some mammal-hater."

"I can guess which one.  Did the staff help?" Cale asked.

"How . . . why did you leave it?"  Suspicion leapt in her mind, temporarily replacing grief.

"Gabe thinks Cla isn't a real threat, but he's wrong. She'll kill you, given the chance.  Deela warned me that Cla was planning something like this, so I followed you."

"Did you hear . . .?" Alex couldn't finish the sentence. "Cale, is it true?"

"I doubt it. Let's return to the Institute." Cale looped Alex's arm around his neck.

**

"Don't tell me you've been fighting with Cla again," Gabe accused when they opened the door.

"Nothing escapes your highly trained eyes, does it?" Alex stiffened. She took her arm back from Cale's neck and tried to hide her limp.

"Gabe, I wouldn't—" Cale began.

"What is wrong with you? Why must you continue fighting with her?" Gabe demanded.

"Gabe, this isn't a good time—" Cale tried again.

"Because I enjoy it. It gives my life meaning," she snapped back.

"You'll ruin everything!" he exploded.

"Gabe, please," Cale begged.

"What will I ruin?" Alex advanced on Gabe, looking as if she was staring straight into his brain to read the answer.  At his hesitation, she continued, "You know, don't you? It is true, like she said." Her words held burning condemnation.

"Alex, don't start talking crazy again.  I want you to stop warring with Cla." Gabe, intimidated at Alex's tone and look, held up his hands in a placating manner.

"Maybe I should explain." Cale the peacemaker tried yet again.

"Forget it, Cale." Alex limped toward the door. "I know all I need to."

"Alex," Gabe called. "I don't want you getting hurt."

She looked over her shoulder, eyes burning. "Too late. Promise to name one after me."

"What?"

Alex turned around, scrutinizing him again. "Playing innocent? Maybe you don't know the consequences of your actions. Cla told me something quite interesting tonight as she was pounding on me.  She is in the maternal way . . . daddy.  Like I said, promise to name one after me."

She slammed the door on her way out.

"Gabe," Rile mocked. "How could you? No wonder she's berserk. You weren't even careful."

"Don't tell me you believe Cla? She was saying that to hurt Alex," Gabe said.

"Worked really well," Rile said. "We should tell her what we're planning."

"No, I will not see her hurt," Gabe said.

"Like she isn't already.  We should tell her," Rile insisted. "Gabe, did you really—"

"Of course not! Doesn't anyone trust me? I'll explain everything to Alex when this is all over. Right now I'll keep her away, keep her safe, here in the Institute."

"I say we tell her right now." Rile bounced lightly on his feet, pounding one fist into his other hand.

"And I said—" Gabe started.

"You two can fight. I'm checking on Alex," Cale said as he slammed the door.

**

"May I come in?" Cale asked at Alex's bedroom doorway.

"Come in." Alex sat on the edge of the bed, dabbing the blood from her mouth.

"Where are your injuries?" he asked.

"That wretch bruised my bum leg." Alex prodded the leg and winced.

"I'll call Dr. Glick."

"Don't bother. Pain is weakness leaving the body.  Cale, is Cla telling the truth or is there something else going on? Please tell me."

Cale sat on the bed next to her. "Cla is provoking you.  As for what she said, I don't know for sure, but trust Gabe on this. He's never, I mean, ever, really, Alex, just trust Gabe on this."

"But I saw him—"

Cale held up his hands. "Don't believe everything you see. Everything will work out. I promise."

"Oh, Cale." She put her head on his shoulder. "I wish I could believe you."

Cale put his arm around her. He felt like telling her everything. He was almost sure Gabe was wrong. Almost. But he knew his place. He wasn't like Rile. He would do what Gabe said.

****

A/N

Did Gabe or didn't he?

Dedicated to

AceOfKnaves

Thanks for all the support and reads!

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

147K 8.4K 64
CLOSE YOUR EYES AND IMAGINE THIS WORLD. Gods are created by a mighty force, a force to balance the universe, every galaxy, world, and life. **** Ca...
The Guard Από TTBMBFF

Λυκάνθρωπος

392K 14.1K 52
"Have you found her yet?!" a man sitting on chair asks impatiently. "No, my lord," the soldier says bowing his head. "Well what are you doing here th...
1.7K 203 60
Alex survived fighting a war on an alien world. But can she survive her return trip to New Orleans? The brothers are fighting, throwing their new Gua...
192 50 13
Alex is a 17-year-old girl recovering from a recent near-death experience. She's been forced into a strange new world where she discovers that the ag...