This Isn't Magic

By ArcanaLove

An outcast boy who has no belief in magic, is tossed into a magic academy. He must learn to discover his magi... More

Episode 1: Terrible Start To A Terrible Day
Episode 2: And So It Begins
Episode 3: Should Have Listened to Nan
Episode 4: A Change
Episode 5: Bats Are Lazy
Episode 6: Midnight Hour
Episode 7: Catching Sparks
Episode 8: Learning Isn't Always What You Think
Episode 10: Pardon My F-Bombs
Episode 11: A Switch
Dear Readers

Episode 9: Could Have Been Nicer

20 7 30
By ArcanaLove

Whenever I find myself stuck in my head I always go to the same place. Nan in the garden taking care of her "babies" as she likes to call them. Usually I'm close by jumping in the puddles while singing "Tarzan Boy" because it's a classic and I'm a ridiculous existence.

While I'm in my head trying to process things, Howl, told you I was calling him that now, and Benji came out of the police station. When they came up to the car no one says a thing. Even when Nan starts the car its really quiet. Honestly though I feel more sorry for Benji, he's between Strange and Howl. I like to think their glaring at each other but when they think the other isn't looking they side glance at the other.

"So anyone else enjoying the awkward silence? Cause I gotta tell ya I'm just loving it." I broke the silence when I couldn't take it anymore.

Howl chuckled, "Man where did you guys find this kid?"

"He found me." Benji's soft voice tickled my insides and hugged my heart. When I opened the mirror on the sun guard I found him blushing to his ears again.

"What kind of name is Crow?" Strange ignored his question with one of her own.

Howl just hummed, "What kind of name is Strange?" He threw back at her sounding amused. She humphed and that was the last I was paying attention when Nan tapped my knee to get my attention.

"You doin alright Pit?" Nan asked softly so the back seat wouldn't hear.

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm okay. I'm just shocked. I have a twin. My mother cheated on my father or was she with Strange's father first. I'm just confused and trying to process." I said looking at the road in front of me.

Nan sighed, "I'm sorry Pit. How bout we take your friends to the creek? That sound like fun youngins?" She said loud enough for the back seat to hear. Strange giggled nodding her head. Howl chuckled and I think I saw him shrug when I turned around to look at Benji who blushed instantly when our eyes met.

"Your Nan is cool." He said avoiding my eyes turning redder and redder the longer I looked at him.

Smiling I tapped his nose. "I know." I said turning back around.

"Well first lets stop at the house to get something to fill our bellies, get towels and things." She said humming a tune and tapping the steering wheel as she drove. Howl and Strange started joining the humming after a while and then Benji did too. Every little off key note was a strum at my heartstrings. Smiling I watched the world go by out the window, listening to the off key music. They should call themselves Car Tunes, it'd be the best.

When we got to the house I was filled to the brim with a kind of peace, not the cheesy kind, but you know when you have a moment in your life where, you don't know what's going to happen, but you know that because of everyone around you on your side is right there to lift you up when you fall... Okay so maybe the cheesy kind but hey what ever. I always loved coming here. The late night hot chocolate sessions. Stealing food while she cooks. I wonder if the fort is still-

I bolted out of the car so fast. When I got the door though I forgot its not unlocked. "Nan, hurry up!" To this day I will never admit out loud that my voice squeaked a little.

"Now what's got you all riled up Pit?" Nan asked looking at me like I grew two heads while she moves at the speed of a snail. I love you Nan, but come on.

"I'm not riled up, I have to pee." In my defence it was the best I could think up in ten seconds.

"What's up with you?" Strange asked me as she leans on my shoulder. Howl is laughing at me and Benji looks concerned.

"Really its nothing." There is no way they're seeing the fort if it's still up like I think it is. Not while the Powerpuff Girl sheets are still up.

Nan shook her head laughing with Howl. Jerks. The door finally opened and I bolted in so fast. Strange was on my heels but I ran up the carpeted stairs faster and slammed the door in her face locking it. "Aw, come on Pit, What are you hiding?" She whined against the door. Sorry, not sorry, no one is seeing this side of me.

I crash landed into the sheets knocking the whole fort down around me. When I tried to stand I kept stumbling all over the place getting tangled in the sheets. Finally I got them off and shoved them under the bed. I gave my room one last lookie loo before I opened the door to find everyone staring at me. "What?" I said shrugging and walking to the living room thinking everyone fallowed me. Everyone did, except for Strange. Should have known better honestly. She came out with an arm full of pink sheets and the biggest grin on her face. Oh my god this is a nightmare! Why?!

I hid my face to stop the blushing. All I could hear was Strange and Howl laughing. When I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. I shook my head continuing to cover my face. He placed his hands on mine and gently forced my hands away from my face, reluctantly, I looked up to a smiling Benji. "You know it's kinda cute I think."

I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck. "It was a fort. I like that show." I rubbed my face as I went into the kitchen. "Wow, yeah, food sounds great." I yelled back at them.

Howl came in laughing, patting my back. You know? Howl is frickin huge, A whole foot taller and I'm 5'10" so damn. "Your like a jack in the box. You never know whats gonna pop out." He said and sat down purposefully as close to Strange as possible. It was funny cause every time she tried to get away he'd just get closer. "Would you stop running from me?"

"Would you stop being annoying?"

"Nope." He said leaning back in his chair so the back legs were supporting him.

Strange rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, but she did stop moving away. Me and Benji shared laughs as Nan came into the kitchen to make us all something to eat. We all talked about nothing occasionally sharing laughs as Nan served us sammiches. When we got done eating we all shoved things we'd need in a duffel bag and headed off to Moonstone Creek. They call it that because the rocks are white as the moon so even at night everything is illuminated.

We all spilled out of the car and ran for the water, well except for Nan, but she's old so she gets a pass, then again its Nan so she gets a pass always. As I grabbed the bag and headed to the water it was more beautiful than I remembered. The water is so clear you can see the rocks at the bottom. With a big grin on my face I followed everybody to one of the big flat boulders to sit down next to Benji. We all kinda took a minute to soak up the scenery.

Really we should have just gotten in the water when we had the chance, but we're not the weather channel, otherwise this would be super boring. Almost immediately it just started pouring down on all of us all at once. Laughing about it we all raced for the car. I went back for Nan cause the rocks when wet get a little slippery but when I turned she wasn't there. I know she wasn't that close to the water, but that didn't stop me from running to go look anyway. She wasn't there. There where still footprints from where she was, like she was still there but there was nothing. After that the ran stopped and turned to snow making it colder.

Strange ran back followed by Howl and Benji. "What happened? Where's Nan?" She sounded panicked.

"I don't know I turned back and she was just gone. I didn't see anything in the water." I said scratching my head as I looked around.

"Where did you get that Jupiter?" Benji asked pointing to my hand.

"What are-" I stopped and looked at my hand. There was an envelope with 'Jupiter' scrolled on the front. "I don't know what it is. I didn't even pick it up."

"Looks like a messenger letter. Shu Village uses them all the time. I'd be careful Ju, messenger letters can have curses in them." Howl said standing close to me keeping his eyes on the envelope.

My eyes practically bulge out of my head, I didn't even have time to properly react to my new nickname. "What?! How do I prepare for that?! You open it!" I practically shove it at him. However, it doesn't leave my hand. Freaking out more I start shaking my hand like its got dirt on it.

Benji grabs my shoulders and gives me a little shake till I look at him. "Listen. You have to open it. Whatever is in there could help. Lucky for you my specialty is curses." He said letting me go to pull the collar of his shirt aside to reveal a black ink tattoo. Well, at least at first glance that's what it looked like but it moved against his skin.

Strange gasped, "That's a witches hex mark. Anyone with it can heal wounds by taking the wound on themselves. I've never met anyone with one in person. It works with curses too? How are you still alive with that?" Strange asked with so much curiosity we all almost forgot the main issue at hand. When she realized it too, she blushed and backed off. "Well, after we take care of this first."

Benji after blushing from all the attention shook it off and looked back at me with so much confidence, somehow I knew it would be okay. Slowly I opened it and big black smoke came out revealing images like at the movies. I saw Nan walking behind us then everything was frozen. Out of nowhere triplets appeared around her, three girls that looked around 8 years old all dressed in the stereotypical witch attire, pointy hat and all. What shocked me even more was Oz appeared and patted each of them on the head then left on a carpet. The girls grabbed a part of Nan then swirled into nothing and time started to move again. Then the envelope blow up in a puff of red smoke.

"Well. That wasn't confusing at all. What the hell? Did Oz steal Nan? What the hell for?" I'm this close to ripping my hair out. Pacing in a circle I scratched my head.

"Well, those girls are from Toil And Trouble an elementary school for witches and wizards. I don't know them personally but my friends sister goes there. Only school that requires you dress in a pointy hat." I blinked at Howl. I'm still confused. Howl sighed, "Why don't we go find Oz? Maybe he wants us to find him? Maybe he'll tell you why he took Nan."

I nodded and glared and walked to the car. I got under the wheel to mess with the wires till I heard it start. Sitting in the driver seat I saw my friends staring at me with surprise. Hanging out of the window I raised my pierced brow at them. "Really? How are you all surprised? My goal has been to get expelled since I got here. How would you not assume I'm a delinquent?" Strange went to open her mouth then closed it shrugging and nodding as she got in the car. Howl just laughed. Benji shook his head smiling but it didn't reach his eyes. Wonder what he was gonna say while we were in jail. I just hope we're still friends after I get expelled. That's still the plan. Ever since getting to Doure everything gets messed up.

When everyone was in the car I started driving, but then hit the breaks which caused everyone to groan and curse. "Wait, can't we just use the keys we got to get to Doure? Otherwise how do we get there? Cause Strange used a key to get us out of Doure and then we walked to Black Cat." Everyone made the simultaneous "Oh yeahs" before getting out. "We can do it on the car, right?" I asked pulling out my key. When I held it close to the car door it transformed from a skeleton to a car key. When I turned the key and opened the door I was swirled into the bright colors. Of course I landed on my ass instead of standing. And to make it worse I landed in Benji's lap. Feeling mortified I had to open my mouth, "Well, now you got me where you want me, what are ya gonna do with me Beni?" It came out far dirtier than it was meant to and I blushed more. Oh god please don't hate the nickname.

Jumping a little I felt hands on my hips. "Nothing I can do in public." He whispered against my neck. Not gonna lie. I shivered. Who knew my Beni was so bold. So many faces to you. I think I might have a side mission, mission discover all of Beni's sides.

Getting up I smirked, "Handsy Beni." I teased and winked.

"Don't hear a complaint." He mumbled taking my hand to get up. He's smaller than me but he's actually more built than me, he's like adorable sexy. But I don't eat much so.

I tapped his nose laughing when he was close enough. "Nope, just an observation." He smiled back a little shyly. So cute.

"You lovebirds know where Oz is?" Howl teased as he walked over. I glared and stuck my tongue out.

Strange hit the back of his head. "Don't mess with my ship you twerp." She said waving her finger at him.

Howl gave her a puppy dog look holding his hands under his chin. Can we all just take a moment to picture a big punk looking guy with piercings and tattoos doing that? "Only your twerp honey bunches." I lost it. Holding my stomach, I almost fell over laughing. "Oh blow me Ju." Howl said laughing with me.

"Not my type Howl." Whiping the laughter tears away I lead us inside. "Alright off to find Prissy Pants."

"Prissy Pants?" Beni was looking at me with a dog like head tilt and confusion all over his face.

"Your cute, Prissy Pants is Oz now, keep up." I said grabbing his hand cause I could and I wanted to. Now, gotta get my Nan back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64 38 39
The criminal, the tiger, the genius, the viper. How will these ragged teens from the wrong side of justice save the world?
24.2K 968 21
Fast paced book. WARNING: contains abuse, self harm, cursing, etc. Also contains a lot of happy, funny, friendship moments. It's worth the read :)
375K 23.7K 28
In order to help his best friend confess, Mylo agrees to also confess to his so-called crush. Surprisingly, he now finds himself in an unexpected rel...
129 10 11
Melody Lonely fragile tough on the outside completely clueless to who or what she is Damion Ruthless strong eyes only for melody determined to make h...