The lie in my marriage (EDITI...

By khal2mukay

The story of Zainab and Malik, a young couple in their own little bubble living their best life. Then,Amal sh... More

Chapter 1 (Zain and Malik)
Chapter 2 (The wedding)
Chapter 3 (A new phase of life)
Chapter 4 (The honeymoon)
Chapter 5 (The honeymoon II)
Not an update
Chapter 6 (Marital life)
Chapter 7 (Marital life cont'd)
Chapter 8 (The Good News)
Chapter 9 (Being pregnant)
Chapter 10 (The intruder )
Chapter 11 (The miscarriage)
Chapter 12 (Coping)
Chapter 13 (Company)
Chapter 14 (Recovering)
Author's note.
Chapter 15 (Home)
Chapter 16 (The Anniversary)
Chapter 17 (Silent feelings)
Chapter 18 (Mixed emotions)
Chapter 19 (The Fundraiser)
Chapter 20 (Insecurity)
Chapter 21 (Longing)
Chapter 22 (Vegas,baby!)
Chapter 23 (Las Vegas Nevada)
Chapter 24 (Balcony love)
Chapter 25 (Opening up)
Chapter 26 (Distance)
Chapter 27 (Denial)
Chapter 28 (Acceptance)
Chapter 29 (Lose ends)
Chapter 30 (The decision)
Chapter 31 (Amal and Malik)
Chapter 32 (Coffee,coffee)
Chapter 33 (Belong with you)
Chapter 34 (I got you)
Chapter 35 (Loving him)
Chapter 36 (Suspicions)
Chapter 37 (Jealous)
Chapter 38 (Attitude)
Chapter 39 (Cold)
Chapter 40 (The other woman)
Chapter 41 (Confession)
Chapter 42 (Confession 2)
Chapter 44 (Shattered)
Chapter 45 (Far and away)
Chapter 46 (The divorce)
Chapter 47 (Consequences)
Chapter 48 (The aftermath)
Chapter 49 (Revelations)
Chapter 50 (Parting ways)
Chapter 51 (Forgiveness)
Chapter 52 (Fight for you)
Chapter 53 (Stay put)
Chapter 54 (Coming home)
Chapter 55 (Bitter sweet)
Chapter 56 (Another chance?)
Chapter 57 (Zain and Malik)
Chapter 58 (Hope)
Chapter 59 (Here with you)
Chapter 60 (Labour pains)

Chapter 43 (The lie in my marriage)

6.9K 157 76
By khal2mukay

Salam hey #TLIMMsquad... hope we all good. Can't believe we're at chapter 43 now. We've come a long way guys and i am thankful to every one of you amazing people who have been with me right from chapter one even when the whole story seemed lame and kinda crappy. Thank you for believing in me and believing in what i do. A huge shout out goes to (@kahdeeja) for being the first commenter on the previous chapter.  Thank you beautiful. 😘

Here goes another chapter squad. Enjoy ❤
******************
She couldn't believe what her ears just heard from Malik so she looked up to stare at his face so as to pick out if he's just kidding about the marrying her part but to her utter suprise and shock,his face showed no hint of being playful. He was patiently looking at her expectantly waiting to hear what she'll say. She swallowed a huge lump that formed in her throat.
He cleared his throat in an attempt to distract her from her trance

"Ermm i... "

She trailed off trying to find the right words to tell him.

His pair of dark btown eyes were still fixed on her making it difficult for her to say what she wants to say.

"I will let my mom know about it and then arrangements will be made for you to see my wali (Custodian)".

She finally muttered as a small smile formed on her lips. She never in a million years saw it coming that soon,Malik asking her hand in marriage.

"So is that an approval from you?".

He questioned trying to supress the huge goofy grin forming on his face.

For some odd reason she felt shy about looking up at him now and even talking to him. So she nodded her head up and down as a sign of yes looking down as her hands fiddled with the cotton fabric of her skirt.

"You've agreed to be mine Amal?".

He pressed again trying to make her speak a word atleast.  He had seen how shy she had suddenly become.

"Yes Malik,i am yours. I have agreed to be your wife.  Your Amal Hameedah".

She stated as a matter of factly.

"Wow this is beautiful, you're beautiful Ma shaa Allah ".

He said with a deep sigh his happiness evident in his tone.

Amal's cheeks were starting to hurt already adding to the heat she just felt creeping onto them as she heard him call her beautiful.  Her smile grew wider and couldn't wait to share the good news with Hafsah and her mom too.

"What's in that head? You look deep in thoughts and smiling all the way".

Malik interrupted as a smirk formed on his face. She cocked her eyebrow at him questioningly.

"Oh i get it you can't help thinking about me even when i am right in front of you. Way to go soon to be wifey".

"So smug now aren't we? As if you're not the person who finished confessing their undying love for me".

She responded with a snort making him throw his head back laughing.

"That was a quick clap back".

"Yeah you can call me the queen of clap backs."
She shrugged.

"Now who's the smug one?" He asked with a laugh.

"You ofcourse".
She pointed at him with her index finger narrowing her eyes.

******************
"Girl if you're lying i swear i will puke all over you right now and remind me to ruin your clothes from last eid".

Hafsah threatened.

"Hafsah i am not lying,Malik wants to marry me. As we're speaking right now,my mom has approved and in the next two weeks,Malik and his parents will come to officailly seek my hand in marriage".

Amal responded not missing the deadly glares Hafsah was throwing in her face. If only looks could kill.

"Say wallah,because if you're a good Muslim you won't say wallah while you're lying".

"Wallah Hafsah,i am telling you the truth. I can't believe it's happening too".

There was a moment of silence before Hafsah finally assimilate the information passed to her by Amal.

"Oh my Allah... my baby girl is getting hitched. Oh this is super duper amazing. I'm going to be an Aunty soonest".

Hafsah shrieked practically lunging on Amal engulfing her in a tight embrace. Being the dramatic friend, she finally managed to gather some people's attention at the cafeteria with her loud shrieking.

"Yyyoou are sssuffoc ccating me Hafsaaa".
Amal said almost breathless as Hafsah's hug was too tight.

"Oh sorry darling i am just way too happy. Aunty Hafsah.. how do you like my new title?"

She stated loosening Amal from her tight embrace and sitting back in her seat.

"We're not even married yet and you're already giving yourself some title huh".

"Well i don't care Amal,you'll be married soon and then there will be cute babies on the way. You know i always knew you and Malik would make beautiful cute adorable babies. Oh i can't wait to meet them cuties a year from now".

Hafsah chirper clapping her hands dreamingly.

"Dream on babe. Now pass me the ketchup will ya?".

Amal said with a roll of her eyes trying to take the image of Malik amd her with a kid from her mind.

"Aww there you go Malik's wifey. "

She passed the ketchup to her.

"Oh and why am i the last to know".
Hafsah asked with a huff as her eyebrows furrowed at Amal.

"Trust me you're not. And i was looking out for my eardrum that's why i didn't call you the other night because i know if i had i will definately be in an appointment with the otologist now".

"But i am not that loud".

Hafsah pouted slumping her shoulders in a childlike manner.

"Yes you are.. i heard you from where i was sitting. Assalamualaikum ladies"

Faisal said making the ladies turm to look at him in astonishment. Amal's face beamed with a smile at seeing him while Hafsah did her best to adjust her statue in a ladylike manner as the two threw an adorable smile at each other.
They'll make cute babies too.
Amal thought to herself as she looked at both of them laughing at her thoughts internally.

"Waalaikumusslam. Have a seat Faisal".

Amal motioned to the empty seat as Faisal drew the chair and sat in it.

"Amal is getting married to Malik".

Hafsah said with a toothy grin on her face.

"Wow.. great Ma shaa Allah. No wonder i heard Hafsah squealing like some kid in the playground. Congratulations Amal".

"Thanks Faisal". Amal said in a shy voice.

Hafsah glared at Faisal as a pout formed on her face.

"What is it Hafsah habibty? I can get you more milkshake".

Faisal asked trying to be oblivious of comparing her to a kid.

"You just compared me to a kid in the playground Faisal. Jeez thanks for the compliment ".

Hafsah threw her hands in the air.

"This is why i love her ".

Faisal said as a smile formed on his face making Amal laugh at their drama while Hafsah sipped her drink drawing her scarf to her face to cover her blushing cheeks.

*****************
While the days have been bright for Amal,Zain on the other hand has been at her worse lately. With her husband still hell bent on taking a second wife, and not saying anything about their divorce,her mind can not think of what to do about it as the simple thought of Malik loving another was enough to make bile run through her blood. Their home was no more home to her as the familiar feeling of happiness and warmness she feels whenever she gets back from work has long been faded. She barely sees Malik as she has promised herself to stay out of his way. She stays in her bedroom and only comes out when she's leaving for office or when she feels hungry and in need of some quick snack. Her appetite for food wasn't left out as it has drastically gone down and she eats food only to survive not because she loved it or it's taste.

Today,Malik's mom has come to pay them a visit and that explains why she's back from office early and in the kitchen cooking as she has pleaded with her to stay for dinner after which Malik will take her home.

She heard the shuffling of door signalling that Malik is back from work and minutes later, he came in. She heard his voice talking with his mother but it wasn't clear enough to point out what they were discussing. She couldn't resist the urge to roll her eyes and regretted being in the kitchen at that time because seeing him face to face is the last thing she wants at that moment. She doesn't hate him but she feels the need to punch him hard enough to break his nose every time she sets her eyes on his stupid face.

She heard footsteps approaching the kitchen and knowing sure enough it was none other than him, she averted her whole attention on the vegetables she was stiring in the pan as if it was the most important thing in the wold right now.

"Assalamualaikum Zain habibty ".

Malik said gently stepping into the kitchen and walking to the fridge to put the soft drinks he came with in.

"Waalaikumussalam".
She answered non chalantly not bothering to look in his direction.

The kitchen's silent atmosphere was back as none of them said a word afterwards. For once Zain thought that he was gone not until she felt the familiar hands embracing her from behind her and with the scent of his cologne,it didn't take her long to register that it's Malik.

"I miss you". He muttered in her ear causing a shiver to run down her spine. It still annoys her how despite how angry she is towards him he still has the same effect on her.

She immidiately clutched his hands in an attempt to rid herself from his embrace which she failed at.

"Be careful not to burn yourself Zain".
He said more like a whisper to her but enough for her to hear what he said.

"It's none of your business Malik,whether i burn or not. So please spare me the lies and the fake care and affection towards me".
She sneered at him watching his face fall in disappointment as he let his grip off her.

"It's my business Zain,you're my wife".

"Soon to be ex!".
She retorted sending cold glares his way.

Malik gave a deep sigh at how Zain is being stubborn and persistent about them divorcing each other.

"Can i help with anything?".

He asked cautiously seeing how she gets infuriated by him quite easily.

"No i am fine here. Get out please".

She stated coldly.

"Don't push me away Zain,i am your husband and someday you might look for me and find me not there".

"Men like you deserve to be pushed away and i can't wait for a day that you'll finally be out of my life!. Now get out before i lose it and your mom finds out about the little drama you're about to cause".

Zain fired back as Malik slowly made his way out of the kitchen with cold feet and slumped shoulders.

************
They finished having dinner in a semi tensed atmosphere with Malik's mom cracking jokes here and there trying to lift the moods. She has noticed the unusual tension between Zain and Malik,but knowing the exact reason why,she didn't blame any of them and never meddled. Somethings are best learned when experienced afterall. And she sure believes that it's a phase in marital life and it will come to pass Allah's willing. 

After dinner,Malik set out to go to mosque for isha prayers while Zain cleared the plates and went into the bedroom with her mother in law where they'll perform prayer together.

They finished performing isha prayers and Zain went to the kitchen to make her mother in law some tea as she waited for Malik to get back and drive her back home.

"Thank you JazakAllah khair habibti".

She said taking the mug from Zain with a warm smile on her face.

"Do you need sugar or honey Mama?"
Zain asked bringing forward a tray with a jar of honey and a bowl of sugar.

"Oh i prefer honey my dear,watching my sugar intake. You know not getting younger anymore ".
She said with a small laugh and Zain joined in laughing with her. She hasn't laugh like this in days and she feels among the luckiest women in tge world to have such a good hearted mother in law who treated her like a child of her own.

Zain sat on the opppsite chair after she's finished serving her the tea.

"My dear Zainab".

Malik's mother cleared her throat making Zain gather her full attention to her.

"I know you're going through a not so easy phase of your life now. I want you to know that in any marriage, there are phases and challenges. It's not easy but i will tell you one thing,it will pass. Your husband will be taking another wife and i know how it feels,as frustrating and annoying that may sound,i want you to know that it is not as bad as it looks. Because i once went through what you're going through now and it's not a funny feeling".

Zain looked at her mother in law shocked at hearing the last part of what she said. Does that mean Malik has a step mother she doesn't know about and has never met? The question kept ringing in her head until her mother in law continued to speak.

"When i Malik was a kid and i was pregnant with Na'im,their father made plans of marrying another wife without my knowledge, it was only a week to the wedding that i knew of it and it was the most devasting and trying moment of my life. I went into labour at that spot and gave birth earlier than my expected delivery date.
After i got well,and my co wife settled in our home, i threatened to go back to my parents' home and demanded for a divorce and full custody of my children but my parents did not allow me go through with the divorce. My father allowed me to stay for a couple of days to calm down after which he took me back to my matrimonial home with my baby. Do you know who my co wife was? She was the most amazing woman i have ever met,she welcomed me and my kids with open arms and made us one family. At first i was skeptical and doubtful about her but later on i got used to her and she became the best friend of mine instead of a co wife. Zainab,that woman never gave me a reason to doubt her. She got pregnant some months later and the happiness i felt couldn't be expressed. I took care of her like i would take care of my blood sister,but unfortunately her pregnancy had complications. It was an ectopic pregnancy,i remember the frequent visits to the hospital on doctor's appointment for check up. It began to get worse at the end of the second trimester as her blood pressure became high. Zainab,that pregnancy was the incident behind us losing her, she died and the baby inside her too. I lost a sister and a best friend and it took me a long time to recover from that huge blow of a lifetime. I remember her more as a sister than a co wife because she had been nothing but kind and good to me and my children."

She finished her voice thick with emotions as her eyes turned glassy with tears glistening in them.

"I just want you to know that a co wife  may not be as bad sometimes and i pray whoever Malik will be bringing into the family is a good woman. That's all we should pray for".

"I am scared Mama".
Zain confessed with teary eyes.

"It's okay to be scared Zainab,it is okay but hold on to prayers. Keep making duaā."

Malik's mother responded giving Zain a sympathetic look.
Zain nodded her head in understanding as the tears began to fall. She quickly wiped them with her sleeves when she heard Malik's voice making his way into the house.

"Maama,are you ready to go?".

"Yes Malik,i was just waiting for you to get back from mosque. Zainab thank you for the delicious dinner and the tea. I enjoyed it Ma shaa Allah to both of you".

"I'm glad you did Maama,thank you too".
Zain gave her a hug,for some reason she felt more close and attached to her mother in law now.

She walked her to the front door with Malik in tow. She waved them off as and stepped back into the house with so many thoughts swarming her mind.

Malik dropped his mom and drove back home where he saw Zain seated flipping through the channels with the remote in her hand.
"Assalamualaikum Zain".
He said making her look up at him with distaste.

"Waalaikumussalam" was all she said as she averted her attention to the television.

"Zain can we talk please?"
Malik asked sitting in the same chair with her but keeping his distance.

"Yeah sure". She responded her attention still averted on the t.v.

"My family will be officially meeting Amal's family next week for the engagement. I just felt i should let you know ".

She felt jealousy and anger rising up in her throat and glared towards him with resentment.

"It's none of my business Malik, i can't stop you from marrying Amal or whatever you call her so it's not my business what you're up to. Leave me alone please,unless it's my divorce we're talking about i don't want to talk about anything with you! ".
She retorted with distaste lacing her voice.

"Why are you so hell bent on this divorce? I am not giving you any divorce. And that's final!".
Malik fired back in agitation.

"And why are you hell bent on taking another wife? I don't want to live with you anymore Malik! Set me free because i don't love you!"

Zain uttered with her voice rising upwards as Malik gave her a blank look.

"You don't love me? You've disappointed and hurt me in these few days but not more than you did today Zain. Today is actually worst".

"Yes yes i don't love you anymore. I don't want anything to do with you! Oh talking about disappointment and hurt? Did you know to the extent you've disappointed and hurt me? And you expect me to put up with your bullshit and live with you? You liar and a cheat.... loving another woman behind my back. You are a disappointment too man so please spare me that bullshit you are trying to guilt trip me with!.
This whole marriage is  on lies and i am tired,sick and tired of living a lie and living with a lie. Pretending to people that everything is right and going jolly good when there is fire burning inside,when there is a lie in my marriage and that lie is you Malik!. I can't stand you right now ".

She sneered her voice thick with emotion.
Malik immidiately jolted up from where he was sitting and strided towards the bedroom. She sent cold glares through his way as she sat back on the arm chair fuming in anger as she threw the remote control to the other side of the room in frustration.

Malik came out of the bedroom and walked into the living room where he left Zain fuming in anger. He threw the packet of pills her way and he didn't miss the look of panic as her face flushed in fear.

"Now tell me who's  a better liar between me and you. You think i don't know what you've been up to all this while? You've been taking birth control pills Zain without my knowledge, behind my back! Now who is the lying hypocrite here?! "

Zain remained rooted to her spot as she couldn't get herself to form any word.

"You just said it that you don't love me anymore and don't want to live with me,which explains why you've been on birth control. Obviously you don't want to have my child. Tell me Zain,the last miscarriage was it natural or you made it up? Because i don't trust you now or whatever you say."

He said lowly with a coldness in his eyes that she has never seen before.

"How dare you accuse me of getting rid of my own child! You are so stonecold and heartless and ..."

She couldn't get herself to finish as sobs escaped her and the tears began to fall leaving her miserable.

"Don't you dare turn this on me Zain. You think i am a fool to not notice you slipping out of bed everynight to swallow these god damn pills?  I thought you will stop with time but no,i was wrong you kept on taking them without me knowing and on top of that you were moping around that you still can't conceive trying to gain yourself some sympathy party huh!..
I don't even know what to do with you  right now. Zain you are a lying hypocrite too,i am not only the lie in this marriage!."

Malik fired back his heart burning with so much emotion and anger towards Zain.

"You can't call me that Malik,you have no idea of how scared i got after the first miscarriage, i got pregnant again and lose it too. I lost two pregnancies Malik!  Two babies of mine and it hurts and hurts and eats me up everyday of my life. I am scared of having to conceive and lose it again,that's why I've been taking birth control pills. You don't know the pain of losing a child ".

"I don't know what? Zain you went through another miscarriage without me knowing? How would i know the pain when you don't even let me feel it? You're so full of secrets Zain.  I just can't believe that my wife had a miscarriage and is currently on birth control while i have no knowlege of it".
He finished with a dry laugh as his hands balled into fists.

They were silent and there was nothing but the sound of Zain's sobs.

"You know you were right Zain,you don't deserve to live a lie and with a liar and neither do i deserve to live with a liar and a hypocrite too who keeps too many secrets from me."

Her sobs intensified at hearing Malik's utterances. She knew she had failed him by keeping something important from him like that. It was a big mistake and she knew she was about to pay for what she did sooner or later.

"I'm sorry Malik i didn't mean to hurt you".
She said between sobs.

"Oh yeah you didn't Zain. Ofcourse which explains why i found out myself instead of you telling me. Way to go Zain".
He responded sarcasm lacing his voice.

"You know Zain,i agree with you, this whole marriage is a lie. You and i both are the lies in this marriage and sure you don't deserve to be with me. I understand why you want a divorce now. You don't love me anymore".

She looked up at him through blurry eyes and saw his face having the same emotion as hers,he was hurting just as much as she. She has never seen the coldness of his warm eyes until this day,they were much darker than normal due to the rage inside of him. Malik couldn't stand the sight of Zain breaking while he himself was breaking inside as well,so he stood up,took his keys and went straight out of the house leaving her shattered just as he was shattered too.

**************
Woah guys what a chapter. We need a break for real. Did anyone saw this coming? 
Well i didn't. I really feel bad for #teamZainMalik right now. 😭💔
Please check up my new upcoming book The DUFF  (Designated Ugly Fat Friend). It will take off immidiately after TLIMM gets competed.  As usual,a huge shoutout will go to the first commenter in the next chapter. 
Stay blessed lovelies.
#TLIMM
#TLIMMsquad
#teamZainMalik
#teamAmalik.
*Group hugs* 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 11.8K 58
Book one in the Dantata Series She joked about getting a husband at the wedding. He was the groom's cousin. They say some love stories start when you...
2.3M 167K 79
"You are fired," he said, as my heart broke into tiny pieces. "No please sir, don't separate me from Imad. I beg of you," I pleaded in agony. What s...
332K 22.3K 29
NOOR SHEIKH "He always loved her and he still love her, I was never his priority" MUHAMMAD DAIYAN MALIK "You are nothing but a replacement of my firs...
66.4K 4.7K 44
{Book Two: Abdallah series} Zara and Amir are cousins and have been best of friends since their childhood days. They're now grown up to adults. You...