my muse - d. swing

By LANISREIGNS

It's the summer of 1991 and Diana moves to New York City to live with her Uncle Andre Harrell of Uptown Recor... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifthteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
Author's Note

ten

2.7K 83 80
By LANISREIGNS

August 24th, 1991

Today, my parents are coming up here for the weekend. I'm happy to see them again and to show off how I've been. Also, Devante's parents were coming up here. That was nerve wracking, both of our parents here. The thing is, Devante's mom is gonna cook us a big dinner and everyone is gonna be there. Including Dalvin, K-Ci, and Jojo. I hope it just all goes well.

"You ready for today?" I asked De while we were on the phone.

"I mean, I'm happy to see my folks but I hope this dinner go good" he said.

"Same. Where your parents staying?" I wondered.

"At Dalvin's, I didn't want them staying with me if you gonna come over tonight, especially if we'll be fu- "

"Yeah ok De" I laughed.

"Nah but on the real, tonight should be good" he said.

"Yeah... I'll come over later" I told him.

"Ard, bye baby" he said.

"Bye" I said back.

I hung up the phone and started to think about what I was gonna wear. I had to look nice but conservative for the parents instead of looking like I was about to go to the strip club.

hours later

I showed up at Devante's house ready. I wore a black dress and some shoes. My hair was curly and I looked cute.

I rung the doorbell and Devante opened the door.

"Damn..." he said as he looked me up and down.

"Hey baby" I smiled as I gave him a kiss.

"You stay looking so fine, you sure you wanna have this dinner tonight? My dinner finna be you" he smirked as he was feeling up on me.

"Maybe later" I told him. "But your mom is already here cooking and everyone is coming".

"Ugh fine" he said as he sucked his teeth. "But I'm getting you later".

I walked in the house and I saw his mom for the first time. She was in the kitchen preparing the food.

"Momma, this is Diana" Devante said to her.

"Hi love" she said to me.

"Hi Mrs. DeGrate" I said back.

"Please, call me Mary" she said as she gave me a hug.

"Imma leave you too" Devante said as he walked out of the kitchen.

I was left in the kitchen with Mary.

"Do you wanna help me make the cornbread?" she asked me.

I nodded yes and I got the mixer out. I started making the cornbread.

"So love, how long have you been with Donald?" she asked me.

"Donald?" I snickered.

"Yes, his name" she said.

"He never told me that" I giggled.

"Oh" she laughed.

"Donald is so cute, like Donald Duck" I said.

"I would call him that whenever he was acting up, he used to get so angry" she told me.

"Aw" I laughed. "Where is your husband?".

"He didn't want to come out right now so he's probably coming with Dalvin" she told me.

"I'm very excited to get to know you guys" I said to her.

"So am I, you're very sweet love" she told me.

later on

After Mary had cooked the food, everyone showed up. Dalvin and Madison came together along with Devante's dad. K-Ci and Jojo also arrived and I even invited Mary.

"Aye momma! Cooking the goods!" Dalvin exclaimed as he walked in.

Devante's dad walked up to me.

"So you must be the Diana" he said to me.

"Um yes, hello" I said.

"I'm Donald Sr." he said.

"Nice to meet you" I said to him.

"You as well" he said.

We were about to sit down when we heard the doorbell. I went to go get the door, it was my parents.

"Ma! Dad!" I shouted out.

I gave them a big hug as they came in.

"Hi Diana honey" my mom said.

"Hi sugar" my dad said after.

I brought them to the dining area where everyone was eating.

"Guys these are my parents, Shirlene and Ralph" I told everyone.

Everyone greeted them.

"So, Where is this Devante fellow my daughter's been speaking all about?" my dad wondered.

"Right here sir" Devante said as he got up.

My dad and Devante faced eachother.

"Nice to meet you Mr. James" Devante said.

"Hello, where are your parents?" he asked him.

"Right over here, that's my mom, Mary and my father Donald Sr." DeVante told him.

Donald Sr. got up to greet my folks.

"Nice to meet you" Donald said to my dad.

"You as well" he said back.

"Is dinner ready?" My mom asked.

"Yes, come sit down, I made a homemade meal!" Mary told them.

My parents sat down as we were about to eat. Mary cooked baked macaroni and cheese, collard greens, chicken, and cornbread. It was so good, that down south shit is the best.

"Oh my God!" Madison bursted out.

"You okay hun?" Mary wondered.

"Oh I'm sorry, it's just that this macaroni is so good. I haven't had anything like this in a long time!" Madison exclaimed.

"Really?" she said.

"Well, when your father is Andre Harrell, you don't really have time for home cooked meals like this" she said.

"How's my brother by the way Madison?" Mom asked her.

"He's good, Uptown is good, especially with Jodeci on the label. He's always raving about them" Madison told her.

"That's the group you're apart of right Devante?" Dad asked him.

"Yes, me, my brother Dalvin, and my two friends K-Ci and Jojo" he told him.

"Yes, Devante wrote and produced the records for the album" Dalvin told him.

"Yeah and Jojo and I are the lead singers" K-Ci told him.

"I'll get into the album one day son" Dad told him.

"By the way Diana, you start college soon right?" Donald asked me.

"Yes, I start classes on Monday" I told them.

"What are you going for?" he asked.

"Journalism. I'm very interested in writing for the media and or starting my own magazine journalist company" I said.

"Nice" he said.

"Diana is also writing part time for upcoming Uptown artist Mary J Blige, Who is Right here" Devante said.

"Yes, Diana is writing songs for my upcoming debut album. She's such a good vibe, and she has a hand at the pen" Mary gushed.

"Songwriting? What do you write about Diana?" Mary wondered.

"Well I've only wrote one song so far. It's about love and how you want to have a true love and all that" I said.

"Aw was it about Devante?" she asked.

"For the most part, he's a big part on why I'm even songwriting. He pushed me to do it and with the right training, he helped. It's really amazing" I said.

"So you guys have been together for..." Dad started.

"Two months" Devante said.

"Have y'all had any sex yet?" my dad asked.

Everyone go silent. Dalvin, K-Ci, Jojo, Mary, and Madison looked at us with the "oop" expression as me and Devante looked scared as shit.

"Ralph, be considerate" Mom said.

"That's actually a good question, you guys are saving yourselves for future marriage right?" Donald wondered.

Madison took a big gulp of her lemonade while we were still scared as shit.

"Uh..." I started.

"We're... saving ourselves. For marriage definitely" Devante lied.

Wow we were going to hell. 💀

Dalvin giggled after he said. Devante gave him a big death glare.

"What's so funny son?" Donald asked him.

"Nothing pops just- thought of a funny time" he lied.

"Um... how about we have some dessert" I said.

"I'll go get it" Mary (Devante's mom) said.

So we had some cake for dessert. The rest of the dinner went fine minus that little thing. God forbid I get pregnant before we get married cause then I'll be caught up in some shit.

after the dinner

I was helping Mary and my mom clean up.

"Diana let me ask you something?" My mom said.

"What is it ma?" I wondered.

"You and Devante are having sex, aren't y'all ?" she asked me.

"..... yes" I said. "Please don't tell daddy, he'll be so mad".

"Don't worry I won't, actually the thing is, the first time we had sex, we were only four months in the relationship, and that's how we ended up with you. He's afraid that you're gonna get pregnant" she told me. "Y'all use protection right?".

"Of course, I don't want any kids yet" I laughed.

"Good, I feel like Devante's dad doesn't want y'all to have sex cause you know, they're strict Christians so they don't want any mishaps" she said.

"Yeah" I said. "Thanks momma".

"Your welcome sweetie, just keep on using protection. I'm not ready to be a grandma!" she joked.

"I'll call you later" I said.

"Ok, bye babe" she said. "By the way, keep Devante, he's sweet and he's cute".

"Trust me, I will"

"Bye daddy!" I said.

"Bye sugar, see you!" he called out.

moments later

After Mary cleaned up, she and Donald Sr. went home. Which left me and Devante home.

"Tonight was good right?" I asked him.

"Minus that question, yeah" he said.

"We did good right?" I wondered.

"Of course, my mother adores you, she was like, you better keep that girl" he told me.

"My mom said the same thing" I laughed.

"She right though, I'm definitely keeping you" he said.

"Mmmn"

"I love you Diana" he said.

"I love you more" I said back as I kissed him. "By the way, how come you never told me Donald was your real name".

"Uh..." he started.

"They used to call you Donald Duck" I laughed.

"Yeah that's why I didn't tell you" he said.

"It's cute, you're cute" I said.

"You know what else is cute?" he said. "You, and ya look tonight baby".

"Remember when you said I could get some later?".

He kissed me again and we started to make out on the couch.

"Come on" he said.

"After I take a shower" I said as I got up.

"Can I come in with you?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes and lingered him into the bathroom and of course his freaky ass followed me. Y'all know what happens next...

A/N: sksks I thought I was gonna publish this tm but I actually wrote most of it today! hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and the intro of the parents! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.5K 5.8K 34
In May of 1990, Bianca Thompson's life is simple - go to school, go to work, and go home. Then, she wakes up and does it all over again. But, when sh...
40.6K 2.4K 27
{Book Two} It's been two years since DeVanté's incident and Morgan has moved to California. Expect MORE drama. Enjoy! ✨ -status: slowly being edited...
124K 3.9K 69
We were in love. What we couldn't handle was learning to open our eyes. We didn't know how to look at the big picture all while making sure the detai...