my muse - d. swing

By LANISREIGNS

It's the summer of 1991 and Diana moves to New York City to live with her Uncle Andre Harrell of Uptown Recor... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifthteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
Author's Note

eight

2.5K 88 76
By LANISREIGNS

July 8th, 1991

Three days after Devante left for tour, I went to Uptown just to do something with my life. Madison started working at this summer camp so I was bored.

I walked in and there was Uncle Andre there to greet me.

"Hey Unc" I said.

"Hey Diana, I have to tell you something..." he said.

"What's up?" I asked him.

"I've heard about your taste in songwriting" he said.

"Songwriting?" I wondered. Devante must've told him.

"Someone told me that you knew how to write songs. So I wanna test you" he said.

"Oh..." I said.

"Come here" he said.

Andre lead me into a studio where a girl was standing. She was really pretty.

"Diana, this is Mary. She's our newest artist and our first solo female, Mary this is my niece Diana" he told me.

"Hi" I said.

"Hey" she said back.

"So since you write songs, I wanted to see what you got by pairing you up with Mary. To see what you got" he told me.

I nodded but I was confused. I wasn't into the whole writing game. Like, I just got it from Devante since he thinks I'm "so good".

"Imma leave y'all here" he said as Andre walked out.

Mary and I were in the studio and I had no idea what I was gonna do.

"So, do you have anything?" she asked me.

"Can I be real, I honestly have no idea what the hell I'm doing, my boyfriend thinks I'm so "gifted" at writing songs when I'm really not. So honestly, I don't know if I'm even cut out for this" I told her.

"Girl, I didn't think that about singing and look at me" she laughed. "It's cool, just do you".

"Thank you" I said.

"Does your boyfriend practice with you?" she asked me.

"Well yeah, sometimes we sit down and just vibe but I've never written a "real" song" I said.

"Ok let's help eachother then, what do you feel right now?" she asked.

"I feel, great honestly. Me and my boyfriend are thriving and I miss him on tour, but I really have love for him. I don't know but, whenever I think of him, I feel good" I smiled.

"Aw that's cute, who's your boyfriend?" she wondered.

"Devante, Devante Swing" I told her.

"Ooh the guy from Jodeci, I've seen him around... sis you lucky to have a love like that" she said. "But I like that K-Ci boy, he can sing".

"K-Ci funny, y'all would be cute though, I can see it" I said.

"Yeah" she said.

"Wait, I have an idea for the song. You want real love right?" I asked her.

"Yeah who wouldn't" she said.

"I have an idea for a song" I said.

Mary and I went to work on the song. It was such a vibe working with her. Mary was so chill and she made me feel comfortable.

few hours later

We were done writing the song so we called in Andre and Puffy, Uptown's head intern to listen to the song. I was nervous cause I didn't want it to flop or have it mess Mary up. Mary was pretty confident though.

"Y'all got the song?" Andre asked us.

"Yeah it's all done, your niece did good" Mary told him.

"Well let's hear it, sing the first verse and the first chorus" Puffy said.

Mary was getting ready and she got the pad to sing the lyrics. I was gonna do the back vocals and the beat.

We are lovers through and through and though we made it through the storm
I really want you to realize
I really want to put you on
I've been searching for someone to satisfy my every need
Won't you be my inspiration, be the real love that I need

Real love, I'm searching for a real love
Someone to set my heart free, real love
I'm searching for a real love

Andre and Puffy clapped at Mary. I guess they liked it.

"What do you think?" I wondered.

"That was dope, I like it" Puffy said.

"Yeah, it's good for Mary, what's it called?"
Andre added.

"Real Love" I said.

"You good Diana, you should keep songwriting" Puffy said to me.

"Thank you, but Mary also helped too" I said.

"Nah B, I only helped with the melody, you did the most work" Mary said.

I blushed. I was really that bitch. I wish De was here to see this, he would be so proud.

"Here Diana, how would you like to write a few more songs for Mary?" Andre offered.

".... that would be great" I agreed.

"Yes!" Mary exclaimed.

Welp, guess I have a new "passion".

later that day

After chilling with Mary for a few hours at Uptown, I went back to the house. I needed to tell De this so I grabbed the phone and called him. Hopefully he wasn't busy. Luckily, he wasn't.

"Hello?" he said.

"Hey De" I said.

"Hey baby, how's my girl?" he asked.

"I'm fine, actually I had a great day today" I told him.

"What happened?" he wondered.

"Well, thanks to you, Andre had me write a song for Mary. Andre and Puffy liked it and now I'll be writing more songs for her" I told him.

"That's dope, I'm so proud, I knew you could do it" he said.

"Thank you, I actually liked writing music, it felt good" I said.

"See I was right wasnt I" he chuckled.

"Yeah, you were" I said. "I miss you De, I wish you were here to see it".

"Don't worry baby, I'm there in spirit" he said.

"I honestly can't wait for that tour to be over, how was the first show?" I asked him.

"It was nice, Charlotte loved us, we perform in Atlanta tonight" he told me.

"Nice, have any hoes tried to jump on you?" I wondered.

"Nope. Not at all..." he said very quickly.

"Uh ok, good. Like I said, I don't wanna cut a bitch" I said.

"You won't have too, well look, I gotta get change for the show, I'll call you later" he told me.

"Ok, bye babe" I said.

"Bye babygirl" he said back as he hung up.

I really did miss him. But the good thing was that I was gonna see him at the concert. The thing about dating a celebrity on tour was that you never know what they're doing while they're gone....

A/N: 🌚 the next chapter is gonna be goood. tea will be spilled, drama will unfold. but y'all will see :) chapter coming tomorrow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7K 1.8K 43
"Can you hold me down?" Devante From the luxury of producing some of the hottest tracks in the R&B genre, to living out his rockstar dream, young...
88.7K 4.4K 105
❛ YOU AND I COULD BE ONE AFTER ALL, OUR LOVE COULD BE SO STRONG, YOU AND I WOULD NEVER STOP. ❜ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡, two music love...
2.4K 145 7
❛ AND I WILL REMINISCE ON OUR LOVE ALL THROUGH THE YEARS, FROM NOW UNTIL FORVER. AND EVER, MY DARLING, FOREVER. YOU WILL ALW...