Circus of the Beast

By ElephantSuns

Keelia Adams grew up in a wealthy family with a beautiful mother, a kind father, and two elder sisters. Then... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18 : Epilogue

12

33 1 0
By ElephantSuns

Stella stared at the circus just beyond the bushes in front of her. The early morning sun made the grounds seem almost celestial, but Stella knew it was due to the magical nymphs who resided there. Her heart seemed to pound loudly, wanting to rip right out of her chest and return to its home. A home that she had deserted for a man who was now in the Night River, to wait a long while until Stella could join him.

She pushed her way out of the bush and stepped out into the morning sun. Even though her exhaustion was threatening to make her collapse, Stella dare not let it happen. She had to keep moving in order to find her daughter. And she knew the exact person who would help: Maghnus.

Fellow nymphs were out and about, readying themselves for something grand, Stella guessed. Was it the annual performance already? It had been too long since she had seen all these familiar faces. But from the gasps and looks of shock, the circus performers had not forgotten about her at all. The whispers began to scatter about the grounds, no doubt already traveling their way amongst crowds until they reached the Ringmaster's ears.

Stella suddenly felt guilt weigh down her heart. She had been their tight rope walker, an act that called all spectators forth to observe the magnificent things a person could do upon a high wire. How could she have been so daft? They wouldn't have been able to find a replacement within the circus grounds. The invisible dome around the circus wouldn't have allowed anyone who resided within the circus to leave.

Stella still belonged there; she could feel it in her bones. The circus swam swiftly through her veins and her children would have felt a pull here too, if they had survived, of course. Stella had to hold onto the hope that her dear, sweet Keelia was still alive out there... somewhere.

Suddenly loud chaos sounded across the grounds and a small man pushed his way through the legs of those around him. His rainbow coloured beard stuck out like a sore thumb and Stella couldn't help but let out her angelic laughter. The nymph was just as she remembered. He had a couple more wrinkle lines, but the fiery spark was still deep within his irises. As Stella and Maghnus continued to stare at each other, Stella felt tears trickle down her cheeks. She had missed that stubborn man so much.

Soon enough, Stella had her arms wrapped around the small man and nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck. The familiar scent wafted all around her, bringing back memories of their childhood together.

Maghnus pulled back. "How dare you leave? How could you do that to me?"

Stella smiled softly. "I fell in love with a mortal man. How could someone stay away from love?"

Maghnus pulled her in for another hug. "I missed you so much, Kyna. All these years I had thought something bad happened to you."

Stella, or rather, Kyna, just smiled and gave no reply.

Among the crowd stood an auburn haired girl with tears rolling down her cheeks, her eyes were glued to that beautiful woman hugging Maghnus. Her mother was alive. She had almost given up all hope, but she knew deep down that her mother had been out there somewhere. And by judging her apparel, it had not been a good somewhere.

"Mother?" Keelia spoke softly, just enough to be heard over all the joyous chatting.

Stella glanced up and instantly pulled away from Maghnus again. Her daughter! Her wonderful, brilliant daughter was standing just a couple feet away from her. Stella's heart swell with joy, and if someone were to ask here to describe what she was feeling in that exact moment, she'd have no words for them. The love a mother has for her children is beyond any trivial world in the English language.

The two ran to each other, Keelia crying and Stella mimicking her daughter. The two sobbed in each other's arms and fell to their knees, still wrapped in a tight embrace.

"Oh, Keelia!" Stella exclaimed between sobs. "I worried about you day and night! I am so happy you were in such a safe place."

"Mama, I missed you so much!" Keelia stated. "I thought you were gone."

"I'll never leave you, Keelia. I never will."

***

Maximus had kept to his word and found where Stella had run off to. Thomas gritted his teeth together as he watched Stella and her daughter reunite. It sickened him. Stella was his! She was the woman that would be by his side for the rest of his days! Not some blubbering daft child who was so blind towards her uncle's deceptions. She would have to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Thomas scratched at his scruffy mustache. He would have to prepare his men to raid the grounds before him. And from what he had been observing for the past couple of weeks, night was the best time to attack this damned place.

"Maximus," Thomas began. "Time to round up the boys. Prepare them for attack and do not fail me this time round, yes?"

Maximus nodded and left the man's side as quickly as he could. Not many people could stand beside Thomas and not feel a cold shiver run up their spine. He was not a man to be trifled with, practically everyone knew that. And Thomas would make sure that the Ringmaster child would realize it before he'd slice off his head.

"I'm coming for you, my Stella." Thomas murmured to himself. "We will be together once again, soon."

And with that stated, Thomas turned about and ventured out of the forest and back to where his troops were waiting for his command to attack.

***

Keelia sat beside her mother, holding onto her hand, as if she would disappear if Keelia so much as budged a finger. She would suffer too greatly if her mother were to vanish once more.

The entire circus group had gathered into the Big Top to listen in on the Ringmaster decide on a punishment for Kyna to endure due to her leaving the circus. It was nymph law that once a commitment was made, you'd stick with it. However, the consequences were never set, thus leaving the Ringmaster to decide the performer's fate.

"So," Lorcan rubbed at his scarred chin. "You thought leaving for love was a good idea?"

Stella only nodded; she knew not to reply with words. She had no right to after what she had done. Betraying her family, her home, that was a pain that Stella would have to live with forever.

"Kyna, what you have done is punishable by whatever I see fit." Lorcan advanced. "I could force you into the Night River for this betrayal."

Maghnus gasped and placed a hand on Stella's shoulder, ready to protect her at any cost. That was what love did to a person. "With all respect, Ringmaster, could you really do that to Keelia? This woman is her mother." Maghnus knew it was selfish to toy with the man's feeling's for Kyna's daughter, but he couldn't lose his best friend again.

Lorcan's eyes looked perplexed. Maghnus had played a strong card, indeed. If he wanted to win Keelia's heart over, he couldn't end her mother's life. But, he still had to punish her in a way that would show all the other performers that leaving was a most terrible thing. He dared not do Kyna any harm, for Keelia's sake, but not following with the laws of nymph was a betrayal as well. He had to do what had to be done.

Stella knew Lorcan had come to a decision before he even spoke a word. His yellow eyes were like an open book. They showed the sadness within his heart and the hope that his decision was a good one. Stella braced herself for her sentence. If it were death, she would take it willingly, but only after she had told Lorcan about Thomas and his plan to destroy the circus. She had seen that her daughter was safe, and that was all she had wanted.

Lorcan knew that banishment in the Land of White was the proper choice of punishment. Stella would have to wander about for the rest of her days, but Lorcan would be spared the choice of the Night River. But, as he stared into Keelia's eyes, her sadness and despair caused him to change his mind. He would have to use a little bit of magic for this punishment.

"I have come to a decision," Lorcan announced for all to hear.

Keelia gripped her mother's hand tighter than ever before. If she were to lose her mother again, Keelia would no doubt join her. She would never leave her family again, no matter what anyone thought or said. No matter the feelings she had for the man delivering the aforementioned sentence.

"Kyna," Lorcan began. "For the disgrace and treachery of nymph and this circus, by law I have no choice but to curse you."

Maghnus clenched his jaw, Keelia held her breath, and Stella closed her eyes. Who knew what the curse was to be, but if she could stay with her daughter and Maghnus, she'd take it happily.

"By night, you shall remain as you are," Lorcan explained. "But by day, you shall transform into a star small enough to fit into a glass cage to be hung where Keelia and Maghnus see fit. You shall never be allowed to leave this circus again. This is your price to pay."

Stella had been ready to explain the dangers the coming night brought, but before she could utter one word of warning, green sparkling dust protruded out of Lorcan's staff and hurried it's way to Stella. The green dust swirled around Stella, causing Maghnus and Keelia to back away. It spun faster and faster until all that anyone could see was a thick cascade of green tinsel.

Then, as the dust slowed to a halt, all that could be seen of Stella was indeed, a small star. Lorcan manifested a glass cage for Stella to reside in, and handed it to Keelia. With a gentle grip, Keelia took her mother into her hand and placed her within the cage.

"Take her," Lorcan whispered to Keelia. "I am so sorry."

Keelia said not a word, but the forgiveness in her eyes was all that Lorcan needed to see.

***

Thomas paced back and forth within his home. Night was just a couple hours away. His men were waiting downstairs for his command. And Thomas could feel his very bones vibrate with excitement. He would get his beloved Stella back and they could start building a life of their own with the family money. But, Keelia would have to be disposed of before that could happen. It was an easy fix, something that Thomas could do rather quickly.

The clocked struck seven, and Thomas decided to rally up his men. He was going to get them excited for the night's brawl and be sure that every last nymph within that circus had their blood spilled. Nothing was going to keep him away from his Stella.

The men about the room instantly hushed as Thomas called them to attention.

"As you all know, that circus houses creatures of satanic intent. I have warned you all to ensure the survival of our family and friends. These monsters will stop at nothing to devour your children and wives! It is up to you to stop them!"

The men bellowed in agreeance. Thomas continued. "Tonight we have the pleasure to dispose this land of those things and not have to sleep with one eye open. So join me brothers, for tonight it is kill or be killed!"

And with that, the group of men began the relatively long march to the grounds of the Circus of the Beast.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

184 0 44
Seraphina Tellar was guaranteed a quiet existence in the Emerald Kingdom. She would live with her mother and father in Bluebell Cottage. She would ma...
113K 9.1K 52
[FREE STORY with exclusive chapters] Tragedy has struck the kingdom of Iride. The crown prince has disappeared and rumors claim pirates have taken hi...
6.3K 1.4K 63
A family lost and a son alone. A boy's life at its end and beginning. An adventure filled with fantastical terrors, where a child becomes a monster...
7.8K 221 34
My body trembled, but not from the cold. "You frighten me." His brow twitched, eyes darting around the features of my face. "Frighten, or excite?" Hi...