Seraphina's Awakening

Por AuthorShea

For as long as she can remember, Seraphina Cross has experienced these visions that made her feel like there... Mais

Chapter One: Nathanael
Chapter Two: Seraphina
Chapter Three: First Dates
Chapter Four : Delusions
Chapter Five: Prophecies
Chapter Six: The Necklace
Chapter Seven: Calamity
Chapter Eight: Awakening
Chapter Nine: Chaos
Chapter Ten: Longest Night Ever
Chapter Eleven: Dreams Become Reality
Chapter Thirteen: Accidents Happen
Chapter Fourteen: The Unexpected Date
Chapter Fifteen: The Mall
Chapter Sixteen: Possessions & Confessions
Chapter Seventeen: Gabe-teraction
Chapter Eighteen: Divulgence
Chapter Nineteen: Mom-tervention
Chapter Twenty: Fess Up Sera
Chapter Twenty One: Workplace Drama
Chapter Twenty Two : Sera Comes Clean
Chapter Twenty Three: Hostility
Chapter Twenty Four: The Proposal
Epilogue:
Ideal Characters:

Chapter Twelve: The New Guy

24 4 15
Por AuthorShea

The dirt crunches under her feet deep in the folds of the jungle. The heat radiates down from above making it hard under the thick foliage to escape the singeing sun. Sweat pours down her forehead and into her eyes. She lifts a large green leaf out of her path and continues on her way. The sounds of the jungle around her are familiar, but the path she's taking is not. Actually, now that she glances downward, there doesn't seem to be a path. A jungle cat roars in the distance, the dangerously beautiful call to his prey as he no doubt pounces in for the kill. Sera ducks under a low hanging vine into a tiny clearing between four trees. Gently placed on a leaf before her is something that doesn't seem to belong; a radiant purple butterfly. It takes off into the air, wings alive with color as it soars between the circle of trees. After a few seconds, it finds its way to Sera, dancing in circles around her. Its wings tickle her ear and float across her cheek before she realizes it's humming a tune. That's crazy, butterflies can't hum... and yet with every flap of its little wings, the melody escapes it. That melody, it's so familiar; a song that's always in the back of her mind. That song that sounds so familiar, but she doesn't know the words.

"What are you trying to tell me little guy?" She reaches her hand for it, and the butterfly spirals into a loop before spinning off through the woods. "Wait!" she calls, tumbling after it.

She follows it blindly through the dense forest, sometimes hopping over fallen trees, fighting with low hanging branches, and struggling to keep up with this stunning creature. A few times, she does lose it, but the humming always directs her back on track.

Without warning, the butterfly stops in a clearing of some kind. Sera peeks around, wincing at the blinding sun high in the sky. It appears as though she's entered an alternate universe. It's a meadow, no longer a dense jungle. It's brightly colored with flowers and thick moss.

"Oh, my," Sera whispers, eyes scanning their way over everything as she steps deeper and deeper. It's the most beautiful sight she's ever seen. The thick green moss cloaks large boulders around this meadow. To get a better view, she grabs onto the closest one and attempts to pull herself up. Her feet slip immediately. Kicking off her sneakers she tries again. This time her toes hook into little ridges of the rock allowing her to climb successfully to the top. Standing victorious atop the rock, she takes in the rest of the meadow. There are butterflies everywhere—all different colors of the rainbow and all vibrant as the sun above. They even seem to be humming the same song.

Sera draws deeper into this mysterious glorious meadow. Her bare feet hop from rock to rock trying not to disturb the flowers holding the butterflies. On her left, a pond comes into view. Lily pads litter the stagnant pond, which is host to some frogs. They croak in tune to the butterfly's hums.

This is a strange new world, she thinks as her purple butterfly comes flying up at her side once more. It swirls around her excitedly causing Sera to lift her arms before it skitters into a draping moss in front of her. Blinking a few times, she can make out that the moss is hiding something. It looks like... it's a cave. Suddenly, all the humming and croaking stops and the meadow grows eerily silent. Anticipation floods her veins; she glances around in alarm. What is going on?

From inside the cave, a snarl echoes out. The purple butterfly comes zooming out and takes refuge under the petals of a large sunflower. The ground beneath her rumbles causing her to slip to her knees. She can feel every step as whatever is in the cave is making its way out to her.

Climbing out of the cave in front of her very eyes is a huge golden dragon. She stares in shock, maybe even denial at the sight unfolding in front of her. Losing even more of her balance, she falls farther until the moss tickles her back. The dragon continues his approach roaring and snapping his jowls. Sera's eyes glance around for help, but now she is alone. All signs of the lively life have retreated. This was a trap. Gold wings extend from the dragon's back and with one final roar he jumps directly in front of her rock so that they are at the same eye level. All Sera can seem to focus on is those miraculously white teeth and how they can snap through her bones. He roars again tossing his head back, breaking Sera's intense glare. When he's facing her again, she meets his eyes. How can something so menacing have such calm, beautiful eyes?

Without thinking, her hand extends toward this creature. It's something behind his eyes, something misunderstood, and screaming for attention. Maybe if she shows him she means no harm, she can calm the beast, so to speak. The snapping of jowls stops, his roaring ceases as well, and if the meadow weren't growing silent, she never would have heard a tiny gasp—but there it was. Her purple butterfly friend peeks its head out from the yellow sunflower petal and starts to quietly hum.

Her body freezes in realization, that song wasn't meant for her. It's meant for the dragon. She faces the dragon again, now twisting his head to get a better look at her and she begins to hum the song. His neck croons closer to hear, and she clears her throat. He grows angry again before she begins, louder this time. At the sound of her full voice, the dragon calms, his wings, and teeth retract. His head shakes before he comes to a sitting position, his head the size of her body. Sera climbs to her feet continuing her magic melody. Regaining some confidence, she walks toward him with an outstretched hand. How many people can say they have touched a dragon? The way his leathery skin glistens under the intense sun attracts her. The dragon's eyes remain closed enjoying the song with delight.

She pauses millimeters from his snout; his breath hot on her palms. Eyes closed, she finally places her full palm on the side of his snout. He barely reacts until he begins to lean into her touch. Astounded, she continues to trace her hands all over his face. His skin isn't rough or hard like leather, its soft, and supple. It's golden like the sun, but when the sun's rays hit it, it glimmers. The monster allows her hands to explore him like he craves her touch. He never makes a noise, barely moves until her hand stops on the sides of his mouth. The dragon's eyes open. Blue and glistening under the sun as they peer back into hers.

Unexpectedly, the butterflies sneak out from their flowers and dance around the meadow again, their humming, a chorus with Sera's voice. This moment is something beautiful, she can't explain where the idea comes from, but she leans in and places her lips to the very tip of his nose. Another gasp echoes through the meadow. Surprised, Sera pulls back, wiping her mouth, slightly embarrassed and confused.

The butterflies take to the air around them swirling and twirling. The wind picks up her hair giving the illusion no gravity until they exclude Sera completely. Creating a tornado around the dragon, faster and faster they become a blur of colors. It grows smaller and smaller until they collapse on the ground in one lump. It's Sera's turn to release a gasp. She struggles to climb to the edge of the mossy rock to see below.

The butterflies have been reduced to nothing but faded confetti that litters the ground. In the center of the moss is the shape of a naked man. She leans closer balancing on her knees and cranes to look. The man moves. His back arches in an animalistic manner before he sits on his knees. He shakes his head from side to side and flecks of shimmering gold fall from his dark hair. He glances behind him, their eyes meet. She knows those beautiful eyes anywhere. She gasps, losing her grip on the rock and falling face first over the rock. The one thought on her mind—Nate!

Sera awakens with her torso on the floor and her legs still tangled in the sheets from her bed. Laying her head back against the carpet, she takes a minute to collect her thoughts. Her dreams have always been more than they appear, but, they are fantasy aren't they? Nate is not a dragon!

The alarm clock blares on, "Well, Diane, I guess we will never know." Reaching a hand under the bed, she tosses a shoe at the annoying clock. It crashes to the floor, the last thing it announces: "This week is going to be another one full of surprises."

Finding her way out of the jumbled chaos of her bed sheets, she slips out and into running clothes before making her way downstairs. She decides to stop for a bite to eat before heading out. She picks up an apple from the basket in the center of the granite island before tossing it into the air and catching it with her mouth while she stretches her quads.

"On another workout kick, I see." Her father is always one for teasing her. "I wonder how long your diet is going to last."

"Well, I have a feeling this one is going to stick." She speaks through another bite of fruit. "Plus, I'm no spring chicken anymore, I have to keep in shape." She lifts her right arm to humorously flex a muscle. Only as she does, she realizes her biceps have some definition and shape to them. Her father must notice as well because he leans in to squeeze it.

"Would you look at that, you work out one time, and get little muscles," he teases with a smile.

"Yeah, would you look at that." She smirks to hide the growing anxiety and makes a rapid escape. "Well, I'd better be off. See you later," she mutters halfway out the door.

Sera jumps down the four steps of her little blue farmhouse and lands on her feet. An owl hoots in the woods to her left. Instead of heading down the street to town, she heads left toward the wood. She hurtles over the guardrail and dashes into the heart of the trees. It's relatively quiet. Most of the animals are hibernating for the winter. All she can hear is the crunch of her footsteps in the undisturbed dirt and dried leaves under her feet. It calms her, allowing her mind to wander. Once again, questions envelope her mind dragging her deep into a vortex of unanswered anomalies. Until one singular anomaly comes to mind, Nate. What are the odds of dreaming about someone for months and actually running into them? This can't be a coincidence? She can't chalk this up to luck. She hides a smile and hurtles over a fallen tree. So deep in thought, she doesn't notice her phone chime to life until she spots the frightened deer hide behind a tree in front of her. Sera freezes. It doesn't run. The deer only peeks his head out, inspecting her. She refuses to even breathe because deer are so... jumpy. He's small, lightly colored, and curious.

"Hey, little guy." She tries reaching her hand out for the animal. "I won't hurt you," she adds and takes a step toward it. He doesn't move, only stares at her. "Come on." She tries again, and he seems to understand, taking a step toward her. "That's it, almost there." She watches in astonishment as the fawn makes his way to her. It's millimeters from her fingertips when her phone chimes once again. Without warning, the little deer spins and runs disappearing into the trees, never looking back.

"Damn," Sera mutters, pulling out her phone to not one, but two texts from Amanda. Apparently, there is a hot new guy starting work in their department today. She doesn't know why her friend feels the need to tell her these things. She knows Sera doesn't partake in the gossiping she and the other women insist on. With one last glance in the direction of the deer, Sera sighs and dashes back toward her house to get ready for the day.

*

Sera walks into work and finds the whole office abuzz. The elevator doors open, and she feels a dozen eyes on her. No one seems to be at their desks; they have flocked to the area between the cubicles and the elevator in little groups. When they notice it's only Sera, they continue whispering to each other.

Navigating her way through the dense crowd, she heads for her desk. Amanda spins around in her chair, blowing on her nails. The air smells of freshly polished nails.

"Are you wearing lipstick?" Sera drops her purse down on the desk.

"Maybe." Amanda pops up a shoulder and slips her red nail polish into her purse.

"And... eyeliner?" Amanda's eyes are vibrant against her olive complexion.

"Cindy says—"

"Oh, Lord. Not this again."

"You'll be eating your words, Seraphina Cross."

"I doubt it." Sera sighs, "So, my whole speech on inter-work-relations went in one ear and out the other?"

The elevator chimes with another delivery. The third floor grows silent around her. So quiet she can make out the clank of the elevator locking into position and the swish of the doors as they open. A singular figure walks out from the elevator. He stands a head above all the ladies that have begun to crowd him. All Sera can make out is his dark features, hiding under a thick perfectly trimmed beard. He shuffles like he has something in his arms as Mrs. Valentine, our manager, greets him. This poor guy doesn't stand a chance.

"I'm going to go introduce myself." Amanda adjusts her bags and pulls her hair from behind her ears.

"I don't know why I bother," Sera mumbles, collapsing into her chair. Her desk has a cloud of spicy smelling perfume and residual nail polish remover lingering from Amanda as she heads toward the flock of women. The only men we get up here on the third floor are maintenance men to repair the ancient copier or a florescent light bulb. To have one working with us every day will be... different. Sera's checking her email when she hears Amanda's flirty tone.

"You must be Gabe, I'm Amanda. I'm in billing, so I'm sure you and I will be working pretty closely. My desk is right here, so if you ever need anything, you know exactly where to find me."

Sera peeks around the cubicle wall and struggles not to roll her eyes. Amanda stands before him, looking up with her puppy dog eyes. Sera's seen that move a thousand times. Men fall at her feet, usually. This guy only shoots her a nod. He then steps around her and continues on his way. Sera's mouth drops open while she lowers herself back into her chair. The new guy passes by her cubicle, and she gets a better look. Cindy from H.R. is right; this guy is a total hunk, but something about him makes her insides twist. Her heart rate elevates. If she had to guess, he's full-blooded Greek or Italian with his dark hair and dark eyes paired with that tan skin; too tan for New York in the middle of December. His cologne is strong and spikes her heart rate even further. In his hands, he's carrying folders, many folders. He gets a few steps past her when he pauses, sniffing the air. Maybe, he smells the nail polish remover.

Curiously, she watches as his head slowly turns back toward her desk. When their eyes meet, she can swear his pupils dilate slightly. She blinks, and he's at the entrance to her cubicle.

"Hi, my name is Gabe." Slowly, a smile spreads across his face. It looks strange on him, almost like he's not used to smiling. It's awkward.

"Uh, hi—I'm Sera."

"Se-ra," he repeats. Her name sounds weird coming from him. The fact that he got it correctly on the first try makes her slightly uneasy.

"Would you be able to show me to my desk?"

"Um," she looks around for help, but Amanda and the other women look on curiously from behind the other cubicles. "Sure, why not."

His smile deepens showing teeth, even more awkward. She climbs to her feet, wobbling slightly on nervous legs before facing him. He stands there, dark eyes studying her, before she points down the hall.

"It's this way."

He finally steps aside allowing her a millimeter of space to slip past him. Sera's shoulder brushes his chest as she does so. "It's this last cubicle in the corner." She continues down the corridor, more than happy to put some space between them. He follows her, closely. "Here it is."

Silently, he walks around her and places the files down on the empty desk. "What do you do here, Sera?" His voice is deep, calm, and calculated.

"Billing, aged accounts, insurance follow-up, appeals, that sort of thing."

"I'm in collections."

"I'm aware." She glances back, feeling eyes still on her.

"I'm sure we will be working pretty closely on the same cases."

"No, not necessarily," she deflects, maintaining a hint of friendliness but trying to be firm.

"You don't seem like the rest of the women here." His statement is a surprise and she takes a few seconds to respond.

"If by that you mean, am I going to fawn over you, favor you, and drool every time you walk by, the answer is no. I am not like that."

"Too bad." He winks at her—he actually has the audacity to wink at her.

"Well, I'll leave you to get settled."

"You don't have to—"

With that, she turns to leave. The office women drop their heads back down to their desks when she faces their direction. So nosey. For years she's tried not to become the subject of gossip—now she has the feeling that's not going to be the case anymore.

Sera makes it back to her desk to find Amanda once again swirling in her chair. "Soooo, what happened?" Amanda leans in.

Sera sits on the edge of the desk trying to figure out exactly that. "I have no idea."

"What did he say?" she presses.

"He came up to me and asked me to take him to his desk."

"And..."

"And I did."

"That's it, that's all you're giving me? Your closest friend? Really?"

"Amanda, there was nothing said except..."

"Except?"

"He said I wasn't like the rest of the women here."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't know. Maybe because I wasn't hobbling over everyone else to get to him."

"I wasn't hobbling." Suddenly, her nails become interesting as she avoids Sera's gaze.

"He gives me the creeps," Sera mentions.

"Good." Amanda's on her feet. "More for me." With that, she leaves Sera rubbing the goose bumps off her arm.

Throughout the day, Sera finds herself on the top of her game. It's like the first time she tried Jack's coffee. Her veins are strumming with energy and this time, her mind is so much clearer and focused. Work seems to breeze by. After her lunch break, she's even finished "correcting" Amanda's paper and emailed it back to her. She's about to head to Mrs. Valentine for more work when Gabe approaches her desk.

"Hey, Sera. Since I'm just getting the hang of things around here, is there a good place to eat?" he asks, folding his big, strong arms over her cubicle and resting his chin on top of them.

She leans back in her chair to get away from his stark cologne. "Well, there's the cafeteria on the first floor, but I wouldn't eat there unless you're really desperate." His dark eyes gleam at me as I continue, "There's a good deli down the street, or you could have pizza and Chinese delivered, but you might want to meet them in the lobby. Food has a way of disappearing around here."

He nods. "Would you like to come with me to the deli? You know, so I don't get lost."

His proximity is doing something weird to her insides again. It's a strange sensation she's never felt before, like the anticipation from a big rollercoaster drop.

"Sorry, I just got back from lunch, you can ask Amanda, I don't think she went yet. Her desk is—"

"No." he states a little too loudly, "I'm sure I will find it okay. Maybe tomorrow then?" He doesn't wait for a response before stalking off toward the elevator. Sera leans over, watching as he leaves and tries to figure this guy out. He turns around inside the elevator meeting her gaze, and without missing a beat, he winks at her. The doors close breaking her spell. This guy—whoever he is—is someone she doesn't want to mess with. She shakes her head before turning, meeting the curious eyes of Nosey Nancy. With a roll of her eyes, she leans back in her chair to stare at the list of emails coming in for the day. She skips past the three from Nancy and continues on to her past due claims and picks up the phone receiver to get started once again.

Sera is still on the phone when Amanda strolls up to her desk with her purse over her shoulder at about quarter to five in the afternoon. She waits as patiently as Amanda can by going through everything in Sera's purse, trying on her perfume, reading through her notebook, and popping the top on her lip gloss all before Sera finally places the phone on the receiver.

"Are you done going through my stuff?" Sera asks tossing her things back into her bag.

"So, Sera... I hear New-Guy-Gabe has been asking around about you." Amanda raises her eyebrows in unison a few times.

"I don't date people from work."

"But," she mutters, "I don't get it, he's such a stud. How can you resist?" she leans back trying to see him from Sera's desk.

"There's something fishy about him, and he looks like a player—you should stay away." Sera points an accusatory finger at her.

"Don't hate the playa, hate the game," Amanda announces.

"He doesn't have a chance in hell at playing games with me."

"How can you have such will power Sera? I mean he's totally gorg. How do you not swoon every time he glances in your direction?"

Sera rolls her eyes, "I don't swoon."

"You don't say. Well, I look forward to the day when Seraphina Cross finally meets her match."

"You and I both," Sera mutters.

Her best friend laughs, "Come on let's get out of here." Amanda attempts to pull her chair out for her.

"Hold on, I just need to finish this..."

"What are you? Competing for employee of the month? I think Gabe's got that covered, let's go." Amanda finally succeeds in prying Sera out of her chair. Sera turns her computer off before grabbing her purse and jacket out of the bottom drawer of her desk. She glances back at the cubicles. The top of Gabe's head can be seen over the top of his. He stirs in his seat.

"Let's get out of here," Sera announces. The two girls walk over to the elevator before the rush of the rest of the office.

"What do you think of this lipstick?" Amanda randomly asks pursing her lips.

"It's a little ridiculous for work."

"I meant the color."

"It's nice."

"It's called 'The Mistress.'"

"Oh, well then it's totally appropriate for you," Sera teases, playfully smacking her arm.

They share a good laugh before the elevator doors open. Climbing inside, Sera closes her eyes as the pulleys start to lower them. Amanda is blabbing on, knowing she needs a distraction. Amanda's chatter is background noise to Sera attempting to control her breathing—in and out, in and out, until finally the elevator clangs to the bottom. The doors open and they weave their way through the maze of patients in the lobby.

Walking down the oval driveway to their cars, Amanda is telling Sera all about the guy from the bar and how things just aren't working out.

"Hey, Sera!" The girls both turn to see Gabe running down the driveway toward them. How did he make it down so fast?

Amanda elbows her in the ribs and she whispers, "I'll catch up with you later." Reluctantly, she lets Amanda slip her arm from hers and head to her car as Gabe approaches. His cologne hits her first, and she chokes trying to breathe through her mouth.

"Hey, would you like to grab something to eat?" he asks pointing over his shoulder to his huge truck. Wow, this guy is persistent.

"I kind of have plans, I'm sorry."

"Oh, okay," the disappointment on his face is apparent with his every word, "How about lunch tomorrow?"

"Uh, yeah, we'll see." She shrugs turning toward her car, "I'll see you tomorrow." Her eyes lock with Amanda's across the way. There is no doubt that she has been watching the entire interaction. Sera sees her friend mouth 'Oh my God' and Sera rolls her eyes before collapsing into her car. She starts it up and shoots her a little wave before pulling out of the spot and heading for home. 

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

92 63 29
Angel Kael refuses to believe that his brother has become a fallen angel. He's the best darn Guardian Angel who ever existed so how could he have fal...
Seraphina Por no one

Mistério / Suspense

3.9K 134 20
Something is killing them, wings breaking, angels dieing and the kingdom falling into a dark shadow. The one born that started it all is unaware of w...
58.1K 3.4K 46
#1 in Paranormal 15/12/20 and 31/10/2021 #1 in Paranormal Love 13/04/19 and 21/10/2021 Everyone has been told at least one ghost story during their l...
22.3K 1.3K 50
June Jackson never expected much from her life. She loved her family and she loved singing. She survived her battle with cancer, and was ready to liv...