Chasing Possibility

By affiniteas

Elliot "Eli" Wesley and Lana Clarke are from two different worlds during high school. A year later after grad... More

Eli Wesley - O N E
T W O ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - T H R E E
F O U R ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - F I V E
S I X ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - S E V E N
Eli Wesley - N I N E
T E N ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - E L E V E N
T W E L V E ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R ~ Lana Clarke
Eli Wesley - T W E N T Y F I V E
Eli Wesley - T W E N T Y S I X
T W E N T Y S E V E N ~ Lana Clarke
T W E N T Y E I G H T ~ Lana Clarke

E I G H T ~ Lana Clarke

48.3K 1.4K 251
By affiniteas

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

 E I G H T ~ Lana Clarke

 "Santa Monica fair, here we come!" Olette clapped her hands with joy.

 As we were waiting to be picked up by Eli at my house, I wasn't sure how to feel right now — excitement or nervousness? The thought of being with his friends was having me all over the place. Thank goodness Olette was here with me.

 Olette adjusted her floppy, summer hat in the mirror from our living room until it suddenly lifted up from her head. Catching that, Landon let out an amused chuckle, walking off with it.

 Landon looked down at the hat and teased, "You going to Paris, Benson?"

 Olette flipped around and raised her arms to grab her hat. However, she was three inches shorter than my 5 foot 6 which gave Landon a better advantage.

 "Give it back, Landon!"

 Even though Landon did have a girlfriend at the moment, I couldn't help but notice the constant flirting whenever the two are together. It didn't bother me for some odd reason. I've always thought my best friend and brother would look cute together. Olette always denied this. With Landon, I never asked.

 Landon eventually stopped and softly plopped the hat onto Olette's head. "Where are you two going? The beach?"

 I shook my head. "Did you hear about the fair? We're going with Eli and his friends."

 "Yeah. Similar to the one that happens in Orange County, right? Make sure to get those deep fried goods." A grin grew on Landon's face.

 "Are you planning to go?" Olette tilted her head.

 Landon's smile fell into a goofy smirk. "As much as I know it wouldn't be as fun without me, I'm probably not."

 Olette's cheeks turned red despite looking a little mad. It made me hold in my laugh until my phone started ringing. Putting off my attention from them, I took a glance momentarily at the screen and Eli's name was blinking.

 "Hi Lana, you two ready? We're waiting outside."

 "Oh, you are? Okay, we'll be out in a bit."

 Eli let out a small laugh. "Take your time. See you soon."

 After ending the call, I turned back to Olette and Landon. "Olette, they're outside. I guess we'll be going now, Landon. You and Dad will be okay, right?"

 "Lana, you worry too much... I feel like I'm the younger sibling sometimes. We'll be fine. You two have fun, alright?"

 Laughing at my brother's joking persona, I punched him lightly in the arm even if it had no effect on him. Before leaving, I quickly walked upstairs where Dad was taking an afternoon rest. I noticed how much he was resting lately.

 Carefully opening the door, I found him sleeping peacefully while observing his constant breathing. Looked like Dad wasn't struggling, that was a good sign. Kissing him on the forehead, I didn't want to wake him, so I headed downstairs already.

 As Olette and I walked out the front door, I whispered playfully, "Don't worry, I could tell Landon liked that hat on you."

 Olette slapped my arm gently in return as she shook her head. "That's not true! Come on, Lana. Your prince is waiting for you."

 She winked and I rolled my eyes to not laugh.

 Something I wasn't expecting to find was Eli, Julian and Preston all outside of his car. They were all talking — maybe even joking with one another since they appeared to be laughing — and eventually noticed we were walking over to them. The three waved and we gave them a smile, waving back in response.

 I murmured as we crossed through the lawn, "I'm kind of worried today will be awkward."

 Olette slipped me an encouraging smile. "Don't worry, we're going to a fair. I'm sure we'll have fun, Lana."

 Giving her a smile back, we soon reached Eli and them. Just like Olette and me, the hot weather seemed to affect their choice of clothing — the three resorted to wearing monochrome v-necks and shorts instead of the usual jeans and trendy jackets.

 Preston removed his sunglasses which revealed his bright green eyes. "Hey girls, ready to have some fun? What's up, Olette?"

 Olette smiled as they exchanged a small hug. During high school, Olette was the more sociable one. Her cousin, Tyler Benson, was also co-captain of the football team. Their social standing, in general, fell into place.

 My eyes drifted towards Eli and I caught him gazing at me. His deep brown eyes sheepishly glanced away for a moment before he gave me a warm smile.

 "I never got to introduce myself to you. I'm Preston Daniels."

 Realizing that Preston was talking to me, I saw his hand out and a genuine grin on his face.

 Taking his hand, I smiled in response. "Nice to meet you, I'm Lana Clarke."

 "And I'm Julian Cooper." Another voice came from beside me.

 Looking over to my left, Julian also had his hand out with a friendly smile occupying his face. Shaking his hand, I ended up introducing myself again. Never did I think I would associate with the "kings" of my old high school. I guess the past was in the past.

 After all the introductions and greetings, Preston cheered, "Who's ready for some deep fried madness!"

 Eli chuckled as he politely opened the car door for Olette and me. "Preston, don't scare them with your weird cravings."

 His friend guffawed before he mocked him back. Everyone laughed together soon after. Hopefully it would stay like this.

                                                     ☽        ☽        ☽

 The fair was, if I had two words to describe it, incredibly huge. I couldn't even take in everything because of the way it stretched in every direction. All sorts of rides, concessions stands, and tons of people were crowding the area. You could only imagine all the heat everyone was adding to this usually hot weather. Various smells from the food made at the fair wafted towards my nose. Cotton candy, kettle popcorn, grilled meats, you name it! It all smelled so good causing my stomach to rumble with curiosity. In amazement, the five of us walked to the entrance gates.

 Sneaking a short glance at everyone, Preston was stretching his arms before placing his sunglasses back on. Standing beside me, Olette waved her hands in front of her face. Looked like her hat wasn't helping much. To my left, Eli was talking to Julian and before he turned his head towards my direction, I looked straight ahead like nothing happened.

 "You'll like the fair, there's a lot to do."

 "And a lot to eat!" Preston added in, sounding like a kid in a candy store.

 Shaking his head, Julian joked, "You'll be hearing a lot of food remarks about Preston. He's like a dumpster always eating all kinds of trash."

 We began laughing again at Julian's comment. It was relieving because Eli and his friends has been very kind to Olette and me. Preston's cheeks started turning a light shade of red and that couldn't possibly be from the heat.

 "It's not my fault fair food is so good!"

 "Good but unhealthy. Remember last time?" Eli countered back.

 Preston's green eyes widened and I saw his Adam's apple bob down and up — maybe he was recalling back to that memory? Not a good one, I guessed.

 Eli opened his mouth to speak again except Preston immediately jumped in. Preston started to wave his arms around, his voice becoming uneasy.

 "Come on man, we don't have to talk about that. We're almost at the entrance. Let's go!"

 Chuckles drifted off from us again. As we continued on, Julian turned his attention to Olette and me.

 "Don't worry, there will be an opportunity to reveal about Preston. It's a funny story actually."

 "Not that funny!" Preston shouted, being a few steps ahead of us.

 Olette soon whispered to tease me, "You were worried about these three?"

 Giving her a small shrug, a smile grew on my face. Going through the entrance, I realized that Eli already paid for our tickets. No wonder he was walking a little quicker to the entrance. Even though I tried saying that it was best if I pay him back, Eli insisted that it wasn't necessary causing me to frown. However, he grinned at me with that dimple showing.

 "Don't worry about it and just enjoy, okay?"

 Nodding my head in defeat, I soon heard Preston take a deep inhale of the fair's variety of smells.

 "Just like the OC fair! I smell the chocolate covered bacon! You all have to try it! Right. Now!"

 An amused look appeared on Eli's face. "Hold on, Preston. We haven't even taken one full step in the actual place."

 My eyes surveyed the entire area. There were so many rides that ranged from the usual Ferris wheel, spinning rides, even small kiddie rides. Screams of joy or terror were scattered all over the place. Rows and rows of concession stands selling all kinds of food — like the wide selection of deep fried choices Landon and Preston have been talking about — and prize stands occupied the area. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of people were walking all over the place.

 Olette suddenly squeezed my upper arm in excitement. "What ride should we ride first?"

 Upon overhearing Olette's question, Preston let go of his food craving. He snapped his fingers. "I like your thinking, Olette! Well guys, which ride?"

 Eli looked at Olette and me. "Any ride okay for you two?"

 We both nodded. I absolutely loved amusement rides! Even if the rides seemed a little worn down. Julian pursed his lips as he glanced around from place to place.

 "Well... what do you girls want to ride?"

 I noticed Olette's eyes stuck on a ride to our right that signaled me the answer.

 I gave them a challenging grin. "Let's start with that one."

 The boys followed my direction, having shocked expressions at first. Grins soon rose on their lips. As we headed over there, Olette nearly squealed with joy and I tried my best to get a hold of myself. Thrill rides were always our favorite.

 Ride after ride, the entire afternoon was filled with fun. I admit, I was worried about spending time with Eli's friends. Since I spent more time with Eli, it was safe to say that I was somewhat comfortable around him. This was my first time associating with Julian and Preston. And so far, it was great.

 I was probably wrong, but throughout the day, Eli looked more at ease seeing us all get along as well. Then again, I was usually the one worried.

 After the rides, we stopped by the farming area with all kinds of farm animals. This part of the fair wasn't exactly pleasant smelling, but it was very entertaining seeing all the pigs and cows, even goats. There was so much to do here from watching the circus acts and animals to walking through a twisted fun house. Though I was standing by Olette most of the time, I would exchange glances and smiles with Eli.

 Through it all, Preston finally got his wish to buy all sorts of interesting yet completely insane food being sold here. I glimpsed over as Preston and Julian were waiting in line at the deep fried foods stand while Olette made a stop to the restroom.

 "Having fun?" Eli decided to wait with me at the funnel cake stand.

 Nodding my head, I smiled. "Yes, it's incredible. Thanks for taking us."

 "It's no problem, I'm glad you are."

 "Are you having fun, Eli?"

 "Of course. Couldn't have asked better people to go with."

 It was hard to understand what he meant by that, but I was glad hearing his response.

 Holding that smile, the young worker soon took my order of the funnel cake with glazed strawberries, whipped cream, powdered sugar and vanilla ice cream on top. This reminded me of the ones sold at the Santa Monica pier, but Preston insisted that there was a "difference".

 All of us met at the eating area and Olette nearly attacked me for the funnel cake. My eyes landed on Preston and Julian who were carrying a bunch of food in their arms. Preston presented each one for sharing as if it was a commercial.

 "Okay, this one is the deep fried Oreo's, S'mores, Twinkies, my all time favorite — the deep fried Klondike bar. Oh! I wanted to try the donut chicken sandwich... and here's the super sized corn dog, the special onion fries, some nacho fries, the jumbo hotdogs and..."

 The list went on and on as Julian and Preston were laying the food down onto the table. I wasn't entirely sure if that should sound appetizing or a little frightening.

 Satisfied, Preston started chomping on the chocolate covered bacon in his hand and offered, "Let us feast. Feel free to take anything!"

 "Don't talk with your mouth full," Julian pointed out.

 We laughed, taking seats around the massive amount of food on the table. After trying some and with the use of force by Preston to continue eating, I was completely stuffed.

 How we were able to finish all of it, I may never know. Never mind.

 The answer was because of Preston. Most of the time, our eyes were stuck watching him eat everything with no hesitation. Where did all that food go? Preston was completely fit from what I could see.

 Hopping out of his seat, Preston was even more energized. "I could run a marathon right now! Ready for round two?"

 Eli hinted for all of us, "How about we just walk it off first?"

 As we gathered the trash to throw away, we nodded in agreement. Walking around the fair was difficult especially with people wanting to go from one place to another. I ended up bumping into Eli several times causing us to give apologetic smiles to each other. Once we managed to get out of the rush of people, the five of us literally let out a sigh of relief.

 Julian wrinkled his nose before becoming relaxed with the open space. "I understand everyone is psyched having the fair here, but it is way too hot for all these people."

 I couldn't agree more.

 "Hey Eli! Want to try that game over there?"

 All of us followed where Preston was pointing at and a specific memory came my way.

 Preston was suggesting the prize stand very identical to the one Eli had tried winning me a teddy bear at the Santa Monica pier.

 Laughs were held in by Julian and Preston as Eli's ears transitioned a shade of red — I didn't think it was due to the heat. I even heard Olette giggle beside me, using her hand to cover her mouth. As much as I wanted to laugh, it wouldn't help Eli's embarrassment at all.

 Eli lightly punched Preston in the upper arm. "Yeah, yeah. Laugh all you want."

 I was fighting into a smile watching all of this.

 "Eli! Preston! Julian!"

 The atmosphere around us shifted as we turned around to find two girls waving their hands. I squinted my eyes at the blonde with a bob cut along with a brunette, having her hair tied up in a bun, trying to figure out if they were familiar.

 As they moved closer, the girls were definitely from our school, but I couldn't recall their names. They were smiling brightly at the sight of the three. The girls practically jogged to hug them and the boys returned their hugs with less effort.

 The blonde rejoiced, "It's so good to see you guys! Oh my gosh! How have you been?"

 The three answered with the usual "good" or "fine", asking the two girls the same thing after. I found out the blonde's name was Tess and the brunette was Irene.

 Irene's large brown eyes lit up, filled with joy. "We haven't seen you three since, like, forever!"

 Julian nodded his head, having a friendly smile on. "It's been a while. You two having fun?"

 As Eli and them were all reconnecting, I threw a look at Olette and she was feeling the same way. She mouthed the word 'awkward' to me and I shrugged slightly. Didn't you dislike those moments where you would just standing there while a person was talking to a friend of theirs?

 "Is that you, Olette? Hey!" Tess chimed, approaching Olette.

 Olette threw on a closed smile. "Hey Tess."

 For some reason, it seemed like none of them looked happy seeing Tess and Irene. Well, if I compared how the two girls were acting.

 "Who's this?"

"Are you new here?"

 Finding out they were referencing me, the boys and Olette abruptly explained how I was Lana Clarke and how I went to school with them as well. I really didn't like how I wasn't able to talk for myself, but it was too late to react anyways. Tess and Irene gave me a tiny grin in response, and I simply returned what felt like an uncomfortable grin.

 Irene tapped her chin. "Oh! Your last name is Clarke, right? Are you related to Landon in any way?"

 I had a feeling I'd get this question.

 "He's my brother actually..." I muttered out. My eyes shifted from left to right.

 Tess suddenly burst out, "Oh my gosh! Really? That's, like, so funny! Is your brother dating Haley?"

 I nodded my head. So what?

 As much as their random outbursts were confusing me, Tess looked like she wanted to say something to Eli except our undivided attention was suddenly pulled by a —

 "Trash can!"

 Tess stopped by clamping her mouth shut, and we all found Preston running to the nearest trash can. All the food he took in went upstream and I felt my body wince, hearing him.

 Julian's hazel eyes widened. "And this... is the memory that Preston wants to hide so much."

 Oh.

 ____________________

This chapter goes out to Blossom13 !! Thank you so much for the support you're showering upon me. I love reading your wonderful comments you share with me. Thanks for everything!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.5K 2.1K 55
Allie doesn't expect one semester in California to change her life. At least not until the day she runs into Jack Wyler - a mysterious guy who bears...
2.8M 152K 55
Liam Smith is in Texas for the funeral of a fallen comrade. He proudly serves his country and would do anything for a fellow Marine. What he doesn't...
212K 10.5K 50
Amber has a secret, one that she hates. When the school bad boy finds out, she realizes he isn't who he seems to be. Garrett is hiding something. Whe...
321K 8.5K 49
𝘌𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘡𝘩π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘦 𝘡𝘩π˜ͺ𝘯𝘬, 𝘴𝘒𝘺, 𝘒𝘯π˜₯ π˜₯𝘰 𝘩𝘒𝘴 𝘀𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘦𝘲𝘢𝘦𝘯𝘀𝘦𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘰𝘢𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦𝘴 𝘒𝘯π˜₯ 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘰𝘡𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘴.