When Two Fates Intertwine (Sa...

By ZanaBSparrows

[THIS IS A SEQUEL TO MY OTHER FANFIC "WHEN TWO SOULS MEET!" If you haven't read it, I would highly suggest it... More

The Yearning of the Soul
Hello From The Other Side
An Immemorable Reunion
True Lab, True Nostalgia
Darkness and Light
Interlude
The Last Half Chapter (Official Notice of Discontinuation)

A Lesson in History

9.1K 248 1K
By ZanaBSparrows

~Sans' Perspective~

I hold (Y/N) close, letting her cry on my shoulder. I'm not entirely sure I understand what's going on, but that's fine by me. She's upset, and she needs my support—there's nothing else to it. I sigh quietly as her sobs start to subside, glad that she's starting to calm down a little. While I wait for her to get the last of it out, I look over her shoulder at the coffins, and the souls that belong to them. I'd known that her brother fell down a few years ago, but for some reason, it never really clicked that he could be one of the six. It just seemed so far-fetched, you know? What are the odds of three humans from the same family falling down?

...

Actually, now that I think about it, the last two human souls were somewhat strange. Or at least, from what I've heard. I can't actually remember when it happened; it was before my memory. But from what I've heard...

...

Should I tell her? I ask myself, gently stroking her hair as her breathing slows. Or would it just make her feel worse?

...

I keep enough from her as it is. She deserves the truth about this, of all things.

"Hey... Buttercup?" I ask gently, coaxing her to look at me. She sniffs and wipes at her face, before giving me her attention. "I-uh... I know something about that soul."

"Yeah?" she asks softly, voice rough.

"Er, well, y'see, I don't know personally. This is just what I've heard," I add, stalling a little. "But um... I have no reason to doubt it's validity."

"Okay?" she asks, visibly bracing herself. "What is it?"

"You see that light blue soul over there?" I ask, pointing to the soul of patience. "From what I heard, that soul belonged to a little girl. She hit her head when she fell, and died instantly. There was blood all over her clothes, but her head didn't split open—it was someone else's blood. And she was carrying... she was carrying the soul of bravery. Your brother's soul."

(Y/N) doesn't seem at all surprised. She just sighs heavily, and looks at her brother's soul again.

"So... I guess what I'm saying is..." I continue, rubbing the back of my skull awkwardly. "You told me that this girl Charlotte killed your brother, right? So it makes sense that patience was Charlotte."

Her gaze shifts to the place where patience floats in silence, bobbing up and down in its container. I try to read her expression, but it's too complex for me to name easily.

"I don't know why I'm telling you this—but-uh, I dunno. Maybe knowing she's dead will-um... make moving on easier?" I'm already cringing at how that sounds, but I don't know what else to say to her.

"That poor thing," she murmurs to herself, her gaze softening.

"...What?"

(Y/N) flinches a little, and turns to look at me with a somewhat guilty expression. Then she shakes her head, and takes my hand in her own.

"Come on Sans, Frisk is going to be upset with us if we don't hurry and catch up to her," she says quickly, dismissing everything that just happened. I refuse to budge though, starting to get concerned. How can someone go from balling to steely calm in just a few seconds? I mean, I have the tear stains on my jacket to prove it happened, don't I?

"Hey, wait a sec," I say softly, pulling her back. "Don't go running off like that. What do you mean, 'poor thing?' She killed your brother, didn't she? You once told me that you'd be willing to take revenge on her and everything. What changed?"

She goes silent, her brow furrowing and her jaw tensing. It looks like she's trying her hardest not to get emotional again, and I feel bad for pushing her... but something seems really fishy here.

"Sans... now's not the time," she says quietly. "I'll tell you later, but we have to meet the king."

I grit my teeth, conflicting emotions swamping me. This is a sensitive topic, and I know that. But I don't know how long I can go with her hiding things from me, either. So when she tries to twist her wrist out of my grip, I don't let her. I hold my ground, trying my best not to seem intimidating in the process.

"No. This is clearly bothering you, and that bothers me," I say matter-of-factly. "I understand having secrets, Buttercup. I've had plenty of my own, after all. But this is us. We're a team now, aren't we? I've told you pretty much everything there is to tell about me, and yet for some reason, I feel like you've been keeping a lot from me—and I don't like it."

She trembles a little bit as she looks up at me, her eyes already watering again. She's beginning to crack, I can see it. If I just push a little more, than maybe—

"It wasn't Charlotte who killed him," she whispers, opening up suddenly. "I... I didn't tell you, because I know how aggressive you can get, Sans. So if I let you in on this, you have to promise me something."

...

I'm taken aback by the way she's looking at me. It's a strange mixture of distress, seriousness, and determination. Even though she's about to cry, her voice is firm, and she's holding her ground just as confidently as I am.

...

"Buttercup, I've been making a lot of promises lately," I say slowly, eyesockets narrowing. "And I'm not sure I'm liking how this is beginning to sound."

"I just want you to promise not to make any rash decisions," she says. "I have it under control, I don't want you flying off the handle."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" I ask, feeling my irises leave my eyesockets. "You're making it sound like you're in some kind of danger."

"...Have been," she corrects, looking away. "Have been for a while now."

"...I don't understand."

"You have to promise first, Sans. Do you promise me that you won't take this into your own hands?"

"...Fine, I promise," I huff, glowering at her. "Now what is it you don't want to tell me? If Charlotte didn't kill him, who did?"

She goes quiet, and takes a long, deep breath before replying.

"Chara."

...

...

The shock of that word makes my mind go quiet. My hand goes slack around her wrist, and I find my arm falling back to my side.

"...What?"

"Ever since I fell down here, Chara's been... I don't know how to explain it, exactly. She's been talking to me in dreams," she says, watching me carefully. "And what she told me is kinda... well, it belongs in some kind of horror movie. She's like a demon that goes from person to person possessing people. She takes control of a child by infiltrating their soul, uses them to stalk someone else, and then tricks them into falling into the Underground before transferring to another host."

"...What?"

I can't believe what I'm hearing. It doesn't make any sense. (Y/N) points to the row of coffins, each with their respective souls.

"All of those children were Chara's victims. She lured them into the Underground with the purpose of trying to free the monsters. But over time, she became corrupted, and enjoyed killing for the sake of it. She possessed Charlotte, met me, and then used me to lure my brother up the mountain. She killed him instead of pushing him in, and went to drop his soul into the Abyss when she tripped and fell."

"I... I don't understand what you're saying," I say numbly, trying to wrap my head around it. "So... she possessed Charlotte and killed your brother?"

"Yes. Charlotte died when she landed on her head, but she also landed on top of Chara's grave—Chara was forced back into her body, where she stayed until Frisk came along. If Frisk killed a monster, she could infiltrate her soul, and started a genocide run. If Frisk didn't kill, there was no way for Chara to possess her. That's what caused the different 'runs'—you were right about that."

"..." I stay silent for a moment, letting that sink in. "So... what you're telling me is that Chara is responsible for your brother's death, too?"

"...yes."

"Why would you hide that from me? I'm going to tear that piece of shit apart the moment I get my hands on her—"

"Sans, that's exactly what I don't want you to do," (Y/N) says firmly, putting her hand on my shoulder. "That's why I didn't tell you. There's more to the story than that. I... I got to see some of her past. I experienced some of her memories, and the things she's been through..."

(Y/N)'s eyes darken at the thought of it, leaving me to wonder what exactly she saw in Chara's past. For a moment, I feel a pang of sympathy for the little demon. If she's got (Y/N) feeling like that, with her difficult past, then Chara's childhood must have been a tragedy. Then I look over at the souls again, and my anger returns.

"You can't just excuse what she's done!" I exclaim, magic lighting of its own volition. "What about all the monsters she killed? What about those children? What about our brothers, (Y/N)?! You can't just let that slide!"

She doesn't react to my anger. Instead, she sighs quietly, and... hugs me. My magic extinguishes at her touch, and I suddenly feel somewhat ashamed of myself. She's been through so much. Who am I to be questioning her judgement like this?

"I'm not. I'm not letting it slide, and I'm not going to. What she did... was a terrible, terrible thing," she murmurs softly. "But what's the point of keeping a grudge, really? For now, I'm withholding judgment."
"..."

"Sans, I know that you want revenge... but I don't think that's the right way to go about this," she says. "I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. But I'll figure it out. I promise."

"...You know what? You're right. Where has seeking revenge gotten me? Nowhere, unless you count a cold pit of depression and insomnia," I mutter. "I'm not sayin' I'll forgive the kid... but I'll agree to let you deal with this."

"Sans, that really means a lot to me. Thank you—"

"Unless she hurts you. Then she's dead."

To my surprise, she actually laughs at that.

"Alright, deal," she says, grinning up at me. "Although I don't think you're going to have to make good on that. She's never appeared outside of the void, and she can't really hurt me there."

"Good. That's good. She can stay away for as loooong as she likes," I say, grinning. "In fact, I'd prefer it if things stayed like that."

"Believe me, so do I," (Y/N) agrees, smiling. She wipes the last of her lingering tears away, and takes my hand again. "So, what do you say? Should we go meet up with Frisk?"

"Yeah," I say. "Yeah, that sounds like a great idea."

"Off we go then," she says. She leads the way back up the staircase, towards the orange light of the judgement hall.

***

The moment I set foot in that room, everything comes rushing back to me. The echoes of the kid's footsteps, the suppressed anger in my own voice as I made my judgment, the laughter of Chara as she takes the final step over the line... (Y/N) notices my unease, and gives my hand a squeeze.

"That's in the past now," she reminds me quietly.

"Yeah... but it feels like it happened just yesterday," I mutter, guilt heavy on my conscious. It doesn't take too much to remember watching the life fade out of the kid's eyes, only to be replaced fully by Chara...

But with (Y/N) here, I think I can get through it. Now, it's just a room like any other. There's no one to fight, no body on the floor... in this timeline, it never even happened. I just have to hold her tight, and keep that thought alive in my head—

There's a sudden scream from up ahead. The blood rushes from (Y/N)'s face, her eyes widening as she lets go of me, and turns to run.

"That sounded like Frisk!"

"Wait, (Y/N)—"

She bolts before I have time to grab ahold of her.

Can't she see her?

The moment the scream sounded, the gut-wrentchingly familiar form of a red-eyed girl appeared in the center of the judgement hall. Chara grins at me before she opens her mouth again and lets out another scream, sending (Y/N) even deeper into her panic. She obviously can't see the apparition of the murder—in fact, she runs right through the green-and-yellow clad child, not batting an eye as she rushes into the next room.

The moment she leaves, it's as if I'm thrust back into the past. Blood is splattered all across the room's tile floor, decorating even the walls and pillars with its crimson hue. Dust floats through the air, and all is silent except for the maniacal laughter that I've come to despise with all my soul.

"Would you look at this. Poor little Sansy is having yet another mental episode~" she says cheerily, testing the edge of her favorite knife. "But with your PTSD, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ah well, it gave me a way to come say hi; I can't complain."

"Shut up," I growl, walking forward. I grit my teeth and ball my fists, trying to keep my bones from rattling. "None of this is real. I know it's not."

"Really now?" she says, her face a portrait of feigned surprise. "I'm kinda offended, Sans. You really think all of this is a figment of your imagination?"

"Yep. (Y/N) ran right through you, and your soul is trapped in your decomposing body," I mutter, heading straight for the demon of a child. "This is all in my head."

Chara disappears moments before I would have walked through her, instead appearing a few meters ahead of me.

"How do you explain the scream then?" she asks sweetly, smiling at me. "(Y/N) heard that, too."

"I don't know, and I don't care," I say. "I'm not going to entertain whatever crap you're trying to pull."

Even as I say that though... I can't seem to make myself walk any further. My feet feel so damn heavy... it's like I'm cemented to the floor.

C'mon, not now!

"What's stopping you from leaving, Sansy~?" she purrs, taking a step closer. "Fear, perhaps? It happens to the best of us."

"Shut up."

"Why? Now that you know the truth, I thought I should come congratulate you on your higher level of understanding," she says, taking another step towards me. She spreads her arms wide, still smiling. "How about you take a shot at me for old time's sake, hmm?"

"No thanks," I growl, glaring daggers at her. No matter how much I plead with my feet to move, they don't seem to be listening.

"Aww. Why don't you come visit me instead, then? Now that you know where my soul is, you could easily destroy me," she says thoughtfully, tapping my chin. "It's just a matter of digging up my body and shattering what's left of my soul."

"Ha, what do you take me for?" I ask sarcastically, managing a smile. "I'm not stupid."

"Oh really?" Chara asks, raising her eyebrows. "Then why not? It's the simplest way to end all of this."

"Nah. I'm a lazy one, as you well know," I say, trying to match the humor in her voice. "And I also know that a soul without a body fades eventually. The only thing keeping those souls stable are their capsules—all I have to do is wait for yours to disintegrate."

"Mmm, yes. That could work, I suppose," she says, shrugging. "Though I think you underestimate the depths of my determination. Do you really think I'm going to lay down and fade away after all the work I've put into this place? I've been a ghost for centuries now, comedian. It's hilarious to suggest I give up now."

"Welp. You'll have to eventually—nobody's going to host you anymore, demon."

"Aww, and here I was hoping you'd give me the privilege of using you," she sighs. She disappears for a moment, and then reappears too close for comfort. She reaches for my chest, her hand disappearing into my ribcage. I shudder violently as my soul suddenly goes cold. "Your soul's the perfect home for me. So much power... their deaths would be so much easier for them. It would be merciful, really; to put them out of their misery so quickly. And your soul is so damaged that you've practically left the door open for me—won't you let me in?"

"No," I say firmly, managing to take a heavy step back. "Never. You're going to die in that hole, Chara. I'm going to make sure of it."

"So you say," she says calmly, tilting her head. "I guess I'm going to have to step up my game a bit, huh?"

"...What are you talking about?"

"Oh, you'll find out," she giggles.

"...Why have you been so inactive recently?" I wonder aloud, my eyes narrowing. "If you can appear to anyone like this, why haven't we seen anything of you?"

"Does it matter?" she asks in a sing-song voice. "Don't you like the security~?"

"...You want to lull her into a false sense of security," I say flatly. "So you can surprise her."

"Oh, but if I can't physically be here, what's the point?" Chara asks, appearing beside me. "I can't hurt her unless she comes to me. And not even then, if her soul's undamaged. By that logic, I'm nothing but an empty threat, right~?"

Someone calls my name from up ahead. I look across the room, and find that (Y/N) is making her way back towards me. Something inside me breaks at the thought of her getting anywhere near Chara, and I hurry towards her. The moment I start moving, though, the Judgement Hall returns to normal. The blood and dust disappear, and when I look over my shoulder, so has Chara.

"Sorry about that Sans," (Y/N) says, taking my hand again. "I thought I heard Frisk scream, but she's apparently fine. Hah—I must be going crazy."

"...Yeah," I mutter dazedly, staring at the spot Chara had been standing. "Crazy."

"...You alright, big guy? You seem kinda... distant," she notes, kissing my cheek.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. But um... can you do me a favor?" I ask, glancing over at her. "Can you stay near me for the next few days?"

"I guess so," she says, eyes clouded with concern. "Why, is this about the whole Chara thing? I haven't seen her in over a month—I don't think we need to worry."

I don't tell her anything about what just happened. I'm still not entirely sure whether it even did happen. Was it all in my head, or was I really talking to the evil ghost child? I have no real way of knowing. As we leave the judgement hall together though, I hear something that makes a shiver force its way up my spine... the distant echo of a child's laugh.

***

"What took you so long, Dunkle?" Frisk complains, glowering at me. "And you too, sis! You guys just disappeared out of the blue!"

"Sorry 'bout that kid," I say easily, giving her my best smile. "We just gotta little sidetracked, is all."

"Hmmm...." the kid gives me a skeptical hum, but then makes a big show of rolling her eyes and shrugging. "Whatever. Let's just get going! We're super late—and who likes cold tea?"

I would tell her that plenty of people like iced tea, and that I don't like tea to begin with, but eh. Why rain on her parade? (Y/N) and I follow the kid as she spins around and heads into the king's private quarters, sharing an equally private smile between the two of us. The kid sure can be cute.

...

My smile falls as soon as she looks away, though. I'm trying to keep Chara out of my mind, but I can't help but be riled up by what was obviously a taunt on her part. What have I learned from everything she said? Nothing. Nothing at all, except that she would love to possess me if she could.

She was baiting me. But why?

The only reason I can think of is that she's planning to do something. But then, why come put me on guard? She knows I'll protect (Y/N) with my life. It would have been easier for her to say nothing and continuing to hide in the shadows until the perfect moment.

Maybe she just likes toying with me?

That could definitely be a possibility, but I don't think she'd be that stupid, either. I'm not a monster to be toyed with; not without consequences.

As the marble underneath us transitions into grass and flowers, though, I sigh and give the subject a rest for the moment. So long as I'm careful and keep (Y/N) in my sights, nothing bad could possibly happen. I return to the present moment, and look over at my beloved human. Her eyes are wide as she stares up at the King, his pure size enough to make her a little bit nervous.

The king is in his formal attire, armor, cape, and all. His trident is nowhere to be seen, though, and that eases my own anxiety about this meeting. As much as I like the guy, the truth of the matter is that he has his people to consider; and his people could be living happily on the surface if only he would make a sacrifice out of one of these two girls. But he clearly doesn't intend to fight, and so one of many burdens is lifted from my shoulders.

The king first turns to Frisk, who throws herself into his arms with wild abandon. She laughs as he lifts her up, tossing her gently into the air. (Y/N) grabs onto my sleeve, still wide-eyed, and clearly more than a little unsure about the king's interactions with her sister.

"Um..." she manages, apparently tongue-tied. "That's Mr. Fluffy?"

"Yup," I affirm, grinning. "Meet the king of all monsters, the absolutely terrifying Asgore Fluffybuns Dreemur."

"He's a lot... um... bigger than the nickname led me to believe," she admits, cringing a little as he throws her sister again.

"The kid has a way with names, doesn't she?" I comment, chuckling. "Always so accurate."

(Y/N) manages a laugh and then shakes her head, apparently trying to get rid of some of her nervous energy. When the king eventually sets Frisk down and turns to her, she's a lot more composed. Even though the king is more than twice her size, and has horns that likely remind her of the human devil. The yellow goatee and good-natured expression hopefully softens his appearance, though. I personally think he looks like a slightly chubby father-type figure.

"Why hello there!" he exclaims cheerily, giving her a wide smile. "I am so glad you could make it, Ms. (L/N)."

He holds out a massive paw to shake her hand, and after a minimal hesitation, she takes it. Her hand is completely dwarfed by his; all he would have to do is make a fist to crush her delicate bones into a fine powder. (Y/N) doesn't flinch though—and I'm proud of her for it.

"I'm happy to be here, um..." she thinks for a moment, choosing her next words carefully, "your majesty."

Asgore goes quiet for a moment, and then guffaws mightily.

"Oh, my child, there is no need for titles like that," he says, smiling warmly. "Asgore is fine. Though I must admit that every monster seems to have a different name for me. It is quiet an interesting feeling, being the monster of a hundred titles."

"Oh. Um... alright. Asgore it is then," she says awkwardly.

"And I see you have brought Sans with you. Hello, Sans. It has been a while, has it not?"

"Yessir, Mr. Dreemur," I say, giving him a friendly smile. I'm actually having a hard time remembering when the last time I've seen him was. Has he come to Snowdin recently? All the timelines are beginning to blend together—I'm not sure if I've seen him within a month, or a few years. "How's life been?"

"Life has been treating me well," he says cheerfully. "There have been no major incidents for quite a while, and I have two new residents in my kingdom! And very amiable ones at that, I might add."

The king turns away and beckons the three of us towards a table that he's place in the center of his golden garden, not far from the throne. There's a steaming pot in the center of the table, along with four separate cups. A small bowl holds various teabags, and there's a tray of cakes off to the side. I don't really find any of it very appetizing, and pull my personal ketchup bottle out of a hidden pocket in my jacket. (Y/N) chuckles under her breath at the sight of it, and I can't help but smile as I give her a teasing elbow in the side.

"What kind of tea do you prefer, Ms. (L/N)?" he asks, holding out the bowl to her. "I like to keep a broad variety on hand—I am sure you can find one suited to your tastes."

Frisk pulls on Asgore's sleeve, reaching for the bowl and whining a little.

"My goodness. You are not one for patience, are you child? Hold on, I know what you like—chamomile, right?"

Frisk nods enthusiastically, her eyes shining happily as the oversized goat monster pours her tea for her. Meanwhile, (Y/N) is carefully examining the bags. She doesn't seem to be too enthused with what she finds there, but she eventually settles on what looks to be some kind of mint-based flavor. She goes ahead and pours herself a steaming cup of water, and dunks the teabag in there.

"And you are not a big fan of tea, if I remember correctly," Asgore says to me, noting my ketchup bottle. "But I do not suppose I could interest you in some lemon cake? I baked it myself this morning."

"No thanks, I'll be fine with my little friend here," I say, holding the bottle up a little. "Thanks for tea offer, though."

(Y/N) groans in her seat next to me, doing her best to hide her smile. Asgore, on the other hand, just seems confused.

"What, too far-fetched?" I ask (Y/N), grinning.

"Just a little," she says, trying her best to maintain a straight face. "But anyway, it's um... really nice to meet you, Asgore. I've heard a lot about you."

"Have you?" he asks, a conflicted look on his face. "I am not sure whether that is a good or bad thing."
"It's a mixture of both, to be honest," she says apologetically, stirring her tea to avoid eye contact. "Everyone's told me that you're a great king, but then there's the uh... whole child-murder thing."

I kinda wince at that last part. I hadn't expected her to be so forward about it. Asgore seems to be having similar thoughts. He stiffens considerably at the mention of his past deeds, a deep look of sorrow overtaking the thin sheen of cheerfulness he likes to keep up.

Where did her tact go? I ask myself. She's usually more careful about others' feelings.

"Ah..." the king sighs. "Yes, that is something I am not very proud of. Though I suppose I should have expected this; as those deaths have weighed on my conscious, they likely also find a presence in your sense of anxiety. Though I assure you, I will not raise my weapon for such purposes again. You and your sister are safe here, and will be for as long as you decide to stay."

"Thank you," she says simply, wrapping her hands around her cup. "That definitely means a lot. I mean, I understand your position—it can't be an easy decision, balancing seven lives over the freedom of thousands of others."

"Yes, it certainly is not. I have doubted my decisions many times over, but one thing remains the same—there is crushing guilt along either path," the king sighs. "I can only hope that someday, an answer will arise. Science seems to have failed us, and I have decided against harvesting more human souls. So that only leaves a miracle, really."

"Yeah."

An awkward silence falls, and the four of us quietly sip at our drinks to try and shoo it away. Then (Y/N) sighs and sets her drink down.

"Asgore, my hope is that I'll find a way to break the Barrier someday," she says suddenly, face set. "I'm not entirely sure how yet, but I have hope. So you just keep holding onto it too, alright? You may be surprised at how quickly your 'miracle' comes about."

"You say that with a surprising amount of certainty, human," the king notes, setting his own tea down.

"I guess I have faith that it'll happen," (Y/N) says dismissively, being careful to keep her face positive.

"Then I suppose I should have some too," he sighs. "Though it is growing harder with each passing day. I must admit, these centuries have been long ones—the war feels like an eternity ago, and an eternity is a long time to grasp at what logic says is beyond reach."

"...You remember the war?" she asks, taking a sudden interest in it.

"Indeed," he says heavily, his eyes growing distant. "It was... like nothing the world had ever seen before."

"Oh! Oh!" Frisk suddenly pipes up, raising her hand and waving it. "Sis, I can tell you about the war!"

"Can you now," (Y/N) says, giving her a patient smile. "What do you know about it, Frisk?"

"A long long time ago, humans and monsters lived in the surface in peace. But then the humans became afraid of the monsters because they could take human souls and become powerful," Frisk signs. "So the humans started a war. They fought for a long time, but the monsters could never gain any ground. They never killed a single human, and in the end, they were all sealed in the Underground with a magic spell."

"That is right, young one," Asgore says approvingly, apparently knowing sign language. "But such a short story leaves a lot unspoken—the trials and tribulations my people faced were vast, and devastation was brought upon many a family."

The king turns to (Y/N) again, his shadow crossing his face.

"The war... was indeed a massacre. We last over half our population within the space of a few days. As the months went by, the remaining survivors were cornered and killed without mercy. No one was spared; not even our children," he says quietly. "Everyone fought bravely, but it could never be enough. Not even with me at the forefront, and my best generals a step behind, could we take one of our enemy's lives. It was hopeless."

A shudder suddenly runs down my spine at his words. I've seen something similar, after all. Chara's genocide was truthfully the second wave of what the human race started many, many years ago. Asgore definitely has my sympathy. What I saw was terrible, to be sure... but I can only imagine what it felt like for him to watch all of the citizens under his charge turn to dust, one after another.

"The fact that we remain today was their first and final act of mercy towards us. Only a few thousand of us remained, and we were cornered. It was thanks to a single human that we survived—one that acted as the voice of reason, and convinced their peers to segregate us rather than shatter our remaining souls," he continues. "Seven of the humans' strongest mages got together and cast a magic spell, creating the Barrier that we have been trying so hard to break all this time."

"Human mages?" (Y/N) asks, interested.

"Ah, yes. It was before your time, was it not? Throughout the years, my scientists have reported falling concentrations of magic in human souls—each generation used weaker and weaker magic until it disappeared completely. But in those times, humans were magic wielders to be feared." Asgore goes quiet for a moment, but then looks (Y/N) straight in the eye with a well shielded look of anger. "Tell me, human. How is life on the surface? Did our war bring the peace the humans sought so long ago?"

"...No," she says quietly. "Not at all. Monsters may have faded into legend, but the humans—we humans—just resorted to killing ourselves, instead. The method's they've come up with to end life is astounding... entire cities can be leveled with a single strike."

"...So it was all for naught, then?" he asks quietly. "We were trapped down here in the interest of human security, and yet they throw it away and attack themselves?"

Everyone at the table goes silent, (Y/N) in particular looking almost guilty as she stares down into her cup. Frisk seems solemn too, though she probably doesn't understand as well as her big sister does. I take another sip from my ketchup bottle, trying not to make eye contact. This is really uncomfortable. Eventually though, Asgore breaks the silence he'd created.

"Well, I suppose it cannot be helped," he sighs, standing. "The humans shall do what they please, I suppose. There is no use in brooding over it."

He offers (Y/N) his hand, a carefully constructed smile on his face.

"Do you mind coming with me for a moment, young lady?"

She glances over at me, a questioning look in her eyes. He clearly wants to see her alone, and the thought of it does make me a little nervous... but I trust my king. He may be many things, but he isn't a liar. He won't hurt her. I give her an encouraging nod and a smile, letting her know that I think it'll be fine. She takes a deep breath and acts on my assurance, putting her own hand in the king's massive paw.

"Sure."

I watch as the two get up and head out of the room, walking towards the Barrier...

...

"Well, that was awkward," Frisk signs, taking a loud sip from her cup. "Why were we invited again?"

***

~Your Perspective~

The king walks you out of the room, eventually letting go of your hand after you're out of sight of the others. You're not exactly sure you're comfortable being alone with the massive monster. From what you've seen so far, you doubt he's going to hurt you... but then again, rage makes people do unforgivable things. And if the fire burning in the king's eyes is anything to go by... your news from the surface has definitely ignited such feelings in the suddenly threatening giant.

You shake your head, trying to clear such thoughts from it. You sigh to yourself and look up at Asgore, watching as his cape tosses behind him as he walks. You can't imagine what kind of pressure he must be under, as the king of this place. His subjects have been imprisoned for hundreds of years, and he's watched them all suffer, lose hope... Even the logistics of this place are over your head. How do they produce food down here, for instance? That alone must have been a feat. Then you add things like maintaining order, and finally... the Barrier. If his people are ever to go free, it's on his shoulders.

...

You can't help but empathize with him. How conflicted he must be, with you and your sister here. For the first time in thousands of years, the monsters' freedom is within reach. All he would have to do is spill a little more blood. And yet...

"I hope I did not make you uncomfortable back there," he says quietly, glancing over his shoulder at you. "It really was not my intention. You just... you must understand, things are... complicated."

"That's an understatement," you say sympathetically. "Your people could be free right now, if only you killed me. That's not an easy burden to willingly place on your shoulders."

The king goes silent, turning back to face something you hadn't noticed until now. Before you stands... something. You're not even sure you can wrap your mind around what you're seeing. Or... is seeing even the right word? Pure energy is pulsing through the air, making the very molecules around you shiver and dance. Light oscillates from the space in front of you, fading and returning to the flow of the magic in the air. The hair on your arms stands on end at the feel of it, and you find yourself wanting to take a step back.

"What...?"

"This, young one, is the Barrier," the king says solemnly.

"The Barrier?"

You shakily take a step forward, squinting into the light. Sure enough, you can see sunlight glittering somewhere far in the distance. It seems like a distant dream, though... the sunlight is sluggish in the face of the Barrier, as though it were reaching deep into the sea.

"Yes. This is what keeps my people trapped here," he replies. "If legend is to be believed... seven human mages gave their lives in its creation. Their magic... their very souls... are enshrined in this spell."

...

You can believe it. You've never felt any energy quite like this, and you doubt anything else will ever compare. You grit your teeth, and reach out for it. To your surprise, it doesn't feel like glass, as you'd anticipated. Instead, it feels soft and it gives a little at your touch, like some kind of giant balloon. But the harder you push against it, the more it resists you. Your hand starts to feel hot after a while, the pure energy represented in the entity starting to burn your skin. You quickly draw back, feeling more than a little intimidated.

"There is something that you must understand, Ms. (L/N)," Asgore says suddenly, still looking out through the Barrier. "I know you have sympathy for my plight. But you must also recognize your own. You are, for all intents and purposes, trapped down here like us."

"...I know that."

"But do you understand what that means?" he asks, finally turning to you. His expression is grim. "You are doomed to live here for the rest of your life. You shall never again see the sun, or go back to the life you once knew. Are you... are you really content with that?"

"I'm not sure yet," you admit. "But I do know that I could easily survive down here. I've already made friends, maybe even family. I have a job, and I hope to get my own place once I save enough."

"You are very quick to adapt, then," he says. "That is admirable of you, considering the circumstances."

"Thanks, I guess," you murmur. "But... listen. I could be happy here, yes. But there's so much more out there. And I don't mean that to inspire pity or whatever—I'm thinking about you, too. And your people. There's so much more out there for you all, and you all deserve so much more."

"And yet, neither of our species can leave without sacrificing the other."

"That may not be the case," you interject.

"So you say," he says sadly. "And I will not discourage you. But as I said—it would be a miracle if the answer were to show up so suddenly, after so many years."

He sighs heavily, and gives you a gentle pat on the head as he turns around.

"Do as you will, young one. There is no hurt in trying. But please... do not be too disappointed when you fail." He starts walking back into the other room, his footsteps making the very ground shake. He hesitates only for a second, long enough to look back at you with those eyes brimming with defeat. "You may stay here as long as you wish, Ms. (L/N); I am happy to have you as a citizen. And meeting you today has been very pleasant. Do let me know if you need any help in building yourself a home. I have a team of builders at my disposal. ...Until we meet again."

And with that, he leaves you to your own thoughts, the Barrier's ambient glow accenting the sense of hopelessness in the air. 

Author's Note

Hey guys! Lookit me, updating regularly. -w-

I don't have much to say, but I recently had someone send me fanart, and I just had to show it off somewhere. So here you guys go! This is a drawing of a fan favorite ship in MGE, drawn by a certain Yuki Snow. It's really good, Yuki! Thanks for sending it to me! ^w^

  Oh, and if anyone else feels like they wanna draw stuff, I'll be more than willing to use drawings I get as chapter images or just show them off like this. You can email me at Prophecyofthethirdangel (at gmail.com). Why is it making the A thingy into a user mention? What if I just wanna use it as a symbol? Gaaaaah! But that's it for me. Until next time! :-)  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 5.2K 18
There are some things you just can't take back. No matter how many times you reset. After breaking free of Chara's grip, Frisk decides to do one fina...
2.2K 65 26
Was this truly the last RESET? Sans wondered. But he knew only Frisk would tell, only this young girl would decide his future. He hated the thought o...
913K 26.5K 27
Sans has lived through countless timelines. He's seen the kid make friends with everyone, only to give up in the final moments. He's seen the kid kil...
3.5K 91 29
Frisk is determined to save every monster. This includes the former prince, but Frisk needs help; she turns to Sans to get her back safely into the u...