R U [ I ] N E D

بواسطة -beWITCHed-

Battle is the language of the ever-proud empire of Gwyrholm. Its politics and government are nearly non-exist... المزيد

Welcome One and All to the Great Empire of Gwyrholm!
The Important Army Guy Gets Railed by His Ex For Being an Idiot
I Meant Your Other Brother, Sweetheart
But He Really Did Have a Nice Bu- Butterscotch?
A Telepath, a Soldier, and a Shape Shifter Walk into an Inn...
A/N #1
Pawn? Someone Tell This Crazy Bitch We Aren't Playing Chess!
The Sweaty Fuchsia-Faced Goth of Gwyrholm
To Free or Not to Free, That Is the Question
A/N #2
The Curse of the Manabe
Pastries and Bad Jokes for Death Himself
Luckily There's No Volcano Nearby...
A/N #3
Beware Magical Flowers Found in the Woods
Pinch Me, I'm Dreaming
Bring Out the UNwelcoming Committee
Hearts Like Shattered Glass
I'll See You in Your Nightmares
When Life Is But a Beautiful Lie
It's Called Mob MENTALity for a Reason
Telepathic Memory Hacks Blow (His Mind?)
...And Then, They Threw Him into the Volcano
Royal Pain for Royal Gain
Endless Roads to Rediscover
I Speak for the Trees
Words Left Unspoken
One for One: An Even Exchange
The Lesser of Two Egotists
Oink Oink, You Ass!
Throw Me to the Wolves
Double Dog Dare Ya
Curses? Nope. Toxins and Water Torture!
For Once, Stabbing IS Encouraged
A Monster Against Monsters
A Crash Course on Manabe & Fantastic Beasts (Not Where to Find Them)
The Augmentative Benefits of Drinking Manabe Blood: A Debate of Pros & Cons
Romance Is Not a Team Sport...

Three Tree and Several Hours Ago

13 2 43
بواسطة -beWITCHed-

By the time Phoena arrived back at the clearing, the boys had managed to pack up nearly everything in the camp. She dipped her head to the side as she approached, surprise clear in her features. "No need to look like that. You'd think we offered you up a severed head on a platter with that face." Brady chuckled and hoisted one of the bags up onto his shoulder. "We just figured you'd want to make a swift exit. Unless you want to sit around for a couple of hours twiddling our thumbs?"

"I'll pass." The blonde rebuffed his taunting seamlessly— very much unlike her earlier reaction— as she marched forward to gather her own things. "No signs of trouble out there, so I'm ready to go when you are."

Callan kept Sachi close by his side as he listened to the bantering of his companions and looked to the pair. "Let's be off then. This lost sorceress isn't going to find us."

"I wish," Brady muttered, shaking his head lightly, "But if that was the case, this wouldn't really be much of an epic quest."

Cal eyed the telepath for a moment before repositioning his supplies. "Honestly, you wouldn't see me complaining if it was a bit less epic and a bit more mundane." He grinned wryly down at Sachi, who walked alongside him, as he joined up with Brady and Phoena back near the main path.

Phoena studied their map intently, humming softly to herself as she traced the planned route with her finger. "If my calculations are correct, we should arrive in town tonight with plenty of time to ask around about Soleil." She folded the sheet neatly and tucked it away for safekeeping. "Be sure to keep up, boys."

"Don't worry about us." Brady slapped a hand down on Callan's shoulder, making the startled shifter jolt away from him. The telepath fought back his snickering and continued, "I'm sure we can manage."

Phoena's gaze shifted over the other three as she chewed on her bottom lip. "We'll see about that..."

"So much for her shining vote of confidence," Brady whispered as he leaned in Cal's direction again.

Callan just shook his head softly and started after Phoena, though his pace was leisurely enough for Sachi to keep pace with him, the young boy having a much shorter stride than Cal himself. "Let's try not to prove her right already by falling behind."

Brady darted after them, a long sigh escaping as he drew closer. "And here I thought things might be different this time! So much for loss making people reevaluate their lives."

"Might I remind you that you didn't actually die?" Phoena called back to the boys in an overloud voice, clearly scolding Brady for his dramatics.

The telepath gave a dejected puff, flicking back a few long pieces of hair from his forehead. "That is exactly my point! You all should be grateful."

"Dear Shrink-wrap, thank you kindly for not dying in one of the least satisfying ways possible, which would have doomed the rest of us to our own demise. Would you like to accept the medal of honor now or later?" Cal quipped without even a glance in Brady's direction. "Ahh, and Sachi will even do you the honor of presenting it in a ceremonially fashion! What do you say?"

And being in very rare form after Callan laid the sarcasm on thick, Brady actually had very little to say in fact, hanging his head in shame. "Later. Since it's such trouble."

"If it helps at all, I'm glad you're okay." Sachi's quiet voice brought a wide smile back to Braedyn's face.

Brady straightened up and nodded enthusiastically, chipper as could be. "Take notes, you two. That is how you make friends."

"We have bigger problems, Brady," Phoena said simply, focusing her attention back on the trail. "If you have that much energy, we should pick up the pace."

Under his breath, Brady hissed, "Slavedriver!" but neither Callan nor Phoena heard another word of protest from him after that. The group continued onto their destination in silent determination.

***

During their trek, heavy storm clouds had rolled in, dimming out the sunlight and threatening a downpour at any second. At first, they barely noticed the fine mist of a drizzle that clung to their skin, but before long, the drops began growing larger, though they fell slowly as if waiting. The hush on the air between the plop of each falling drop-- it was like something halted each raindrop in its tracks before sending it cascading down to the trodden leaves cluttering the forest floor. The group huddled closer together but kept trudging along. It wouldn't bode well for any of them to be caught outside during a violent thunderstorm, which was-- if the skies were any indicator-- exactly what this was turning out to be. Brady narrowed his eyes at their surroundings before giving a sharp tug on Phoena's cloak.

She skidded to a stop, forcing Callan and Sachi to do the same behind her. "What is it?" Her voice was low as she turned back, but the tension was palpable. She must have sensed that something wasn't quite right as well.

"At first, things were moving pretty smoothly, but I'm not so sure anymore." He moved to the edge of the path and gestured toward one of the trees there. "Seem familiar to you? Because it does to me. I'm pretty sure we've passed this same tree three times." Plucking a tiny piece of string from the lowest hanging branch, Brady added, "Left this after the second time."

"We haven't turned enough times to be walking in circles." Phoena grimaced, cupping her forehead in her hands. It was all she could do to keep from screaming in frustration. Luckily, she was rather practiced at keeping outwardly poised. "How long ago did this start?"

Brady tipped his head in consideration, crumpling up the string in his hands. "Maybe an hour at most...? I'm sorry. I couldn't be sure until we passed again."

The blonde sighed but shook her head readily. "No one's blaming you. Let's just try to stay out of the rain while we figure this out." She waved Callan and Sachi closer so that they could all use the tree cover as a buffer from the elements.

"Isn't it obvious?" Callan flung water droplets free from his hair as he shook his head and repeated the same process for his cloak. He lifted a brow at the silence and hung his cloak over his arm. "Something nearby must be warded, and I have a pretty good guess as to what." Cal lifted his head toward the sky, eyes settling on the dark clouds gathered there. "We don't usually get sudden storms like this in our forests, but once you get near the coast, it's pretty commonplace."

Sachi nodded in agreement. "It felt like it was always raining in Mystaire... Even after beautiful sunny days, the town would get drenched out of nowhere."

"Something that someone doesn't want found..." Cal lowered his gaze again, shrugging. "Considering what we known about this girl's past, don't you think she'd be a bit wary of outsiders? Her home was destroyed. What better motivation would she need to protect this new one?"

Phoena's eyes widened as realization struck her. "Not to mention a trained sorceress shouldn't have much trouble creating a loop like this..."

"Then we just need to find a way to break it!" Brady piped in, but the others didn't return his unyielding optimism.

"Easier said than done..." Callan rubbed the back of his neck and peered at the floor. "If we had another sorcerer with us, sure, but doing this without magic is going to be a real pain."

Brady leaned back against the tree that had brought them to this little realization in the first place. "Difficult, yes, but not impossible. Look on the bright side for once! I mean, really. Do you know how depressing it is inside your head?"

"Not depressing enough for you to stay out apparently."

"Call it a morbid curiosity," Brady fired back with a wink.

Phoena shot her hand out and grabbed Brady by the collar, tugging it fiercely as she shot a glare over at Callan. "Stop it, both of you. Unless you've forgotten about the impressionable child you insisted on bringing along?" Both Brady and Callan turned slowly to Sachi, who looked away with an uncomfortable laugh.

Cal cleared his throat, as if to end discussion on the subject. "You probably should ignore most of what comes out of Brady's mouth," he advised, carefully draping his cloak over Sachi's shoulders. It'd be better to keep the young boy dry when the rain started to come down harder. Callan would be able to manage without it until they found shelter. "Back to more important matters..."

"Right," Phoena nodded sharply, "Getting out of this trap."

Brady gave a mock-pout as they discussed. "We're just going to ignore him taunting me. Okay. Fine, fine. Whatever," he grumbled to himself. He glanced over at Callan expectantly. "Well then?"

Cal simply blinked at him. "What?"

"Your plan, Your Princeliness?" The telepath dropped into a deep bow, his grin spread from ear to ear.

Callan scoffed, "That isn't any better than Sir Prince."

"No?" Brady furrowed his brows like he was thinking deeply about this, "Is that so?"

Blowing a puff of air from his nose, Callan brushed off the mockery. "What we need to do is find a chip in the cycle. If we do that, we can use it to break the illusion. We're looking for something that doesn't fit. Split up, shout if you find something." After giving his instructions, he guided Sachi along by the boy's shoulder. "You'll stick with me for now." With that, Cal's plan was set into motion, each of the Runeholders heading off in separate directions to search for the chink in this armor.

A/N: I swear on my life that Soleil will be introduced in the next chapter. Working my way there just took more time than expected... Get pumped for our fourth Runeholder! *throws confetti and streamers in celebration* I'll just leave that for the charries to pick up, it's fineee!! >.> <.<

Vale! (and other assorted Latin well wishes that I've studied for no really legitimate reason)... ~Rissa

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

The Doom of the Lost Kings بواسطة robin

الخيال (فانتازيا)

175 3 3
How far would you let your revenge lead you? Would you let it turn you clinically insane? Would you let it drag you into uncharted realms and would y...
20.9K 3.1K 70
[Completed] The Royal Guard of the Empire has faithfully served Byzantia for nearly three centuries now. Hand picked from foreign lands, these guards...
1K 328 12
Monsters Are Created By Other Monsters. Sou & Isabelle, A set of eccentric and unhinged twins with erratic elemental powers has to set aside their di...
52 0 1
The world’s old Gods lie dormant, imprisoned for centuries in a timeless rift. For many years they have accepted the fate of their actions, yet the...