The Last Virgin Standing

By laughterandjynx

(COMPLETED) Charlotte Summers is the last virgin in her school; a school where taking virginity is a sport. T... More

Chapter 1: My Apple is Green, but Their Envy is Greener
Chapter 2: Be Like Alice and Stalk Me
Chapter 3: Boxers, Briefs, and Biology-Oh My!
Chapter 4: Linguine and Luke the Meanie
Chapter 5: One Book, Two Books, One Boy, Three Boys
Chapter 6: Gutter Balls, Bowling Balls, and Newton Balls
Chapter 7: Cue the Cheesy Classics--What, No Rose Petals?
Chapter 8: Take Me Out to the Ballgame-This Works Too
Chapter 9: Anyone Can Have Lady Skills
Chapter 10: Exotic Things Come From Walmart
Chapter 11: Humpty Dumpty
Chapter 12: Post-Sex Food
Chapter 13: Luke's Fan Club: Unparty of One
Chapter 14: Four for Four: Four Cubed
Chapter 15: Condoms Are the New Fifty Shades
Chapter 16: Curiosity Killed the Cat and the Cat Caught the Mouse
Chapter 17: Hugs
Chapter 18: Ogres Are Like Onions
Chapter 19: Puns
Chapter 20: They Didn't Tell Me That Playing Cupid Had Consequences
Chapter 21: One Pot of Jumbled Jambalaya, Please
Chapter 22: Swinging with the Enemy
Chapter 23: Heart to Panties with Mr. Bad Boy
Chapter 24: Choux à La Crème, Escargot, and Prince Charmings
Chapter 25: Turkey for Thought: Maybe Benjamin Was On the Right Track
Chapter 26: More Stubborn Than a Democrat and Brighter Than a Flamingo
Chapter 27: Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust
Chapter 28: On the Stroke of Twelve
Chapter 29: Beers with Peers to Cheer in the New Year
Chapter 30: Baby Hearts Aren't As Cute As You
Chapter 31: Benefits of the Aging Process
Chapter 32: Happy Meals and Second Chances
Chapter 34: Candles and Love Handles
Chapter 35: Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend
Chapter 36: Easy Breezy Beautiful
Chapter 37: The Ty-Breaker
Chapter 38: Old McDonald Had a Char
Chapter 39: Headlights
Chapter 40: Wake-Up Call
Chapter 41: Luke's Point of View
Chapter 42: Game Over
Bonus: Fun Facts
One-Shot Competition Results + Winning Entry
Bonus: Alec
Bonus: Luke
Bonus: Ian
Bonus: Emma

Chapter 33: Lady and the Luke

963K 34.7K 24.2K
By laughterandjynx

Dedicated to ThoraDesaga1, who wrote a song called "Keep Back, Casanova" based on The Last Virgin Standing. Check it out in the external link. If you can't find that, go to her profile, and it's in her "No Longer Innocent" book/album. If anyone decides to record themselves singing it, I'd love to hear it!

 ---

Chapter 33: Lady and the Luke

A week had passed and Tyler had made minimal contact with me. Ian wasn't even attempting to chase me down anymore, which made me a little sad. Luke, on the other hand, was always there. Except for the classes we didn't have together, he was glued to my side, catering to my every whim. It wasn't annoying to me. He was my best friend and I enjoyed his company.

"Where were you during lunch?" I asked Luke.

"You'll find out eventually," he replied.

"What do you mean?"

"Just...how was your lunch?"

I looked at him suspiciously. "Fine, I guess. It's as good as school lunch is."

"It's not that bad."

"I know," I sighed. "It's just not as good as McDonald's."

"You have low expectations."

I entered in the combination to my locker, twisting the dial haphazardly. I let out a growl of frustration and curled my hand up into a fist and hit it angrily, satisfied with hearing the resonating sound of clattering metal.  

"Give the poor locker some mercy!" Luke cried.

"The locker needs to learn to open on the first time!"

"You do realize that it's an inanimate object, right?"

"Yes. You're the one who thinks it's alive and can feel things."

"It could have emotions. Don't be so narrow-minded, Charlie. Do you want me to put it in for you?"

I shook my head. "No, it's okay. I've got it."

A bouquet of flowers sat on top of my locker shelf. I immediately pulled it out, not wanting anything to smash the delicate buds. I glanced over at Luke, who was beaming at me. "Is this your work?"

"Technically, it's the florist's, but I paid for them."

"When did you put these in here?"

"Lunch. It was a pain trying to find your combination."

"Where did you get it?"

"In the bottom of your backpack." He pulled out a crumpled half-sheet of paper from the side pocket of his backpack. "This is yours."

I took it. "Thanks. So what's the occasion?"

"Charlotte Summers, will you go on a date with me?"

I laughed. "This sounds like a marriage proposal?"

"That'll come later."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure, Luke. I'd love to go on a date with you."

I didn't know how I said those words so calmly because I was freaking out on the inside. I had waited what seemed like eternity for this moment. I was going on a date with Luke. I mean, it was just the guy I had been crushing on for the last decade or so.

For the rest of the day, my smile never faded. At this point, I didn't think it ever would.

***

I spent two days searching through my closet for something decent to wear. I tried on each article of clothing at least six times before Googling "first date outfits." Luke mentioned The Spork, which was actually a pretty pristine restaurant. Reservations had to be made weeks in advance unless you were a Jameson. I wanted something that accentuated my best features, but was still modest. I also didn't want to look like I was trying too hard. I restrained myself from calling Emma, my go-to girl, because part of me still resented her. Also, Luke would be an awkward topic for us. I mean, she saw his "goodies."

I went for a safe option--the little black dress.

I wondered if he was still going to pull into my driveway like all of the other guys had done, or if we would force me to walk the long journey to his car. Dad still didn't know that I was going on a date with Luke. I wasn't sure how he'd feel about it, given the whole Virginator thing. He was fine with him the other night, but it could change now that I was dating him. I would have to face the music eventually, but I just wasn't up for confrontation right now.

Dad was vacuuming when I finally mustered about enough courage to tell him about my date with Luke. "Hey, Dad..."

He looked up and turned off the sweeper. "You looked all dolled up. What's the occasion?"

"I'm going on a date."

"You've been going out a lot lately."

"I'm just making up for the past decade of my life."

He nodded. "Who are you going out with now? Is it the farmer?"

I laughed. "No, it's not him."

"Who is it? Is it Alec? You know how much I like him. I think he's a good choice."

"No, it's not him either."

"Let me guess." He peeked outside the window. "Well, the limo isn't here yet."

"It's not Ian, either."

"You seem nervous. What is it?"

"Well, you see..."

The doorbell rang. "I guess I will see," Dad said, walking over to the entrance.

I nervously followed him, hoping his reaction would be the same as it would be if this had happened a year ago. He opened the door. As soon as Luke saw my dad, he became flustered and shifted his weight from foot to foot.

"Well don't you look dapper," Dad commented.

Luke smiled. "Thank you."

Dad looked at me. "So this is a thing now?"

I shrugged. "Maybe."

After we were escorted to our table by the host, there was only one word to describe the current mood: awkward. Luke and I weren't the sort of people who frequented fancy restaurants. I could do fine dining with other people, just not Luke. It's not like he didn't have table manners or anything, but I was just so used to ordering pizza.

"This is nice," Luke said.

I nodded. "Yeah."

I drummed my fingers against the table. He did, too.

"Do you think they have bendy straws here?" he asked.

The scene that unfolded before me was sort of hysterical. Here was a young man (not that Luke acted like one) in a suit and tie asking for a flexible straw. "You don't need a bendy straw, Luke."

"It's not for me!"

"Then who's it for?"

"It's just a question...Hey! If I order the chicken, will you get something different?"

"Sure," I said. "What were you thinking?"

"Oodles and oodles of noodles."

"The unlimited pasta bowl?"

He nodded. "I wonder if a tiny midget waiter--sorry, that was redundant--hides under the table and is constantly stuffing noodles up into the bowl."

I stared blankly at him before laughing. "You're such an idiot."

He grinned. "But I'm a funny idiot."

"What would I do without you, Luke?"

"Your belly would turn to flab because you wouldn't nearly laugh as much."

I shook my head, a small smile etched onto my face.

"But let's hope you'll never have to find out." He said it in a soft, almost sad, tone.

I felt the mood in the atmosphere change instantly, and I couldn't help but remember why I fell in love with him in the first place. He was a sweet, genuine guy who actually knew I existed before the games existed. I had been waiting for this date my entire life, so why wasn't I dropping all of the other guys to spend more time with him? It was just a game after all...

Luke's voice snapped me out of my world. "Hey, Charlie? Do you know what you want?"

I quickly scanned the menu as I watched the waiter stare at me. He probably wasn't in a huge rush, but I always felt obligated to be ready. When nothing popped out at me, I said, "Just pick for me, Luke."

"Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure."

"Okay. She'll have the unlimited pasta bowl..."

I zoned out once more, concentrating on Luke's tie. It was a simple white tie, probably made of satin. There was nothing special about it, but there was something about it that drew me in.

"Charlie?"

My head snapped up. "Hm?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"Whatcha starin' at? My man boobs?"

"Luke! That is so not appropriate to say!"

"You didn't deny it," he pointed out smugly.

"I was not staring at your chest."

"Weren't you?"

"I wasn't."

"Am I boring you?"

"No, not at all! I was just looking at your tie."

He looked down. "It's just white. There's no pretty paisley pattern on it or anything."

"Paisley is disgusting. Don't ever wear it around me."

He took a sip of his drink. "Got it. Charlie's prejudice against paisley."

"I'm not being prejudice against paisley!"

"You're ruling out all paisley patterns!"

"It's all the same, Luke."

"Whatever. I'm on a roll today. I'm not boring you, you're staring at my chest, and I'm not subject to paisley prejudice. It's a good day, Charlie."

***

I thought we would go home once dinner was finished, but Luke had another idea.

"Why are we at the park, Luke?"

"I'm trying to make this date as cliche as it can get!"

"All right. What's so special about the park?"

"It's not just any park, Charlie. It's the park."

"Whoa. Sorry. What's so special about the park?"

He rolled his eyes. "You just don't understand."

"Care to explain?"

"You'll find out later."

"Ooh, mystery man over here!" I laughed, doing a jazz hand motion.

"You're annoying."

He had called me annoying thousands of times before, but this time I felt like I was actually bothering him. "I'm sorry..."

"Don't apologize." He poked my side. "Have you gone soft on me?"

I narrowed my eyes. "In what ways?'

"Ah, there's the Charlie I know and love."

Love. Not loved, but love. As in present tense. But then again, Luke wasn't very good at grammar.

"Isn't it past park hours?"

"Maybe."

"We're breaking the law, Luke."

"It's not like the police officers actually care," he snorted, leading me over to the swingset. He pushed me down into one and started pushing me. "Now shut up, and enjoy the ride."

"You're such a gentleman," I said dryly.

"Hey! I'm pushing you. It evens out."

I shrugged, enjoying the stillness of the night. "Can you believe we're seniors?"

"Thank God."

"It's crazy, right? It seems like yesterday we were just sophomores..."

"Don't you mean freshman?"

I shook my head. "Freshman year was a bad year. I try to block it out."

"Isn't that when you still had braces?"

"We don't talk about that."

"At least you didn't have to have headgear."

"You didn't have to have headgear, Luke."

"I'm just saying it would suck!" he said defensively, pushing me with even more force.

I think we went on every single piece of playground equipment there, not that there were a lot of options. Our last stop was the big yellow slide. Just as I was about to heave my body through the plastic tube, Luke stopped me. His gentle touch tickled and sent pleasant tingles throughout my arm. He intertwined our fingers, gazing into my eyes. The tension was building between us, and I knew what was going to happen next. I felt the urge to break the eye contact, and I was struggling not to, but I didn't. I wanted this moment to happen.

"Do you know why this place is so important to me?" he whispered, bringing his hand up to cup my cheek.

"Why?" There was a breath caught in my throat. I felt my heart beating twice as fast as usual.

His thumb made a single stroke across my cheek, heightening my senses. "Because this is where it happened."

"Where what happened?"

"This."

And then he went in for it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Cold By fabspen

Teen Fiction

13.4K 291 41
Occasional good girl with a short tempter and a love for sports, Samantha Maxwell was devoted to making her senior year count. Gossiping was never he...
88.9K 1.6K 40
Under editing• Beware there is confusion of Daisy which is Kaidens niece• She is nineteen so I'm in the process of changing that • Warnings ⚠️ • ver...
2.2M 84.9K 80
Book 1 of the Badboys' Series (CAN BE READ AS A STAND-ALONE) Shelly Anderson is an average student enduring a normal high-school life. Max Jackson i...
7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...