A Salvaged Love

By KayleBanschback7

Kadence had everything a teenage girl could want. She had the best of friends ever, a boyfriend to die for... More

Chapter1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 13

16 4 0
By KayleBanschback7

                Before we left I made it a must to ride Diamond Dancer one more time.  The connection I had with this horse was unreal.  It was like she knew everything about me, I felt completely myself and free when I was on her.  Nick always made fun of me but he knew exactly how I felt, Big Ben was probably a better friend to him than an actual human.  Diamond Dancer came to a halt in the middle of the fields, this was so beautiful, I couldn’t imagine having a life out here.  I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath of the fresh air.  I could smell a mixture of fresh wild flowers, the moisture of the rain, and the smell of the stables.  I leaned down to pet my Diamond girl down the crest “You see this girl, one day I will be able to ride you any time I want.  I love it out here Diamond can you see it?  Me and Daddy running the ranch, breeding some of the best race horses?”  I felt Diamond stay so calm underneath me, her breathing was even with mine, I knew I wouldn’t see her for at least another couple weeks.  I wanted to give this girl one good run before we left.  I pressed my heels into her sides signaling to take off.  The more I did it the faster she went, the wind against my face was the best feeling ever.  As we got closer to the stables I started to slow her down when I saw Nick just staring at me.  I brought Diamond to a stop not breaking the stare with Nick, he was leaned against the stable wall with his arms crossed. 

“How was your race against the wind Kadence baby?”  I flashed him a smile quickly.

“Nick, Diamond Dancer can’t wait to have me here permanently.  We had a nice talk, she agrees it is the best thing for me.  But to answer your question sweetie, yes I did.  I haven’t done that in so long, I missed it so much.”

“I noticed, unfortunately you have to leave your precious diamond and come home with me.  There is a storm heading in so I got to get the horses ready and then we will head home.”  I gave Nick a quick kiss on the lips and started to walk Diamond into the stalls. 

                I said my last goodbyes to the horses and we jumped in the truck.  As soon as we exited the ranch the rain came down strong.  I felt Nick grab my hand and I felt that familiar shiver go through my body.  I looked over at him and my heart felt like it burst with love, he was more than perfect for me.  I couldn’t believe what this boy did to me.  “Kadence, before we leave I just wanted to make sure that last night is exactly what you wanted?” he stared in my eyes with so much love.  I took a deep breath and told him the most honest answer I could come up with.  “It was amazing, but the only thing I would change is add some rain, I have never had my kiss in the rain baby.”  I winked at Nick giving him the most seductive smile I could.  Before I knew it the truck was in park and Nick was opening my door.  The rain was coming down so fast he was soaked already from head to toe.  He took my hand and helped me out of the truck slamming the door shut while pulling me towards him.  I could feel his hot breath against my lips making my body want him more and more every second.  Before I knew it Nick locked me in one of the most romantic kisses I have ever experienced.

                I felt Nick pull away catching his breath, he never once took his eyes off of me.  I could see how much he loved me just in the way he looked at me.  I could see this boy would do anything for me in a blink of an eye.  “You are the only one that makes me feel like this Kadence, if we weren’t so close to the main road I would have already taken you here and now.”  I felt my knees get weak quickly, if Nick wasn’t holding me up I would have already hit the ground.  “Nick I wish we could just stay here forever, this moment, its more than perfect.  I love you so much.”  I felt Nick cup my face in his hand wiping my cheek bones so gently with his rough thumb.  I didn’t want to go home, I didn’t want to face Nate, I wanted to run away to our fairytale perfect life.  Knowing that I was on my way home, left a painful feeling in my stomach.  I knew something was wrong, something bad was going to happen eventually.  I felt a soft kiss on my forehead “Babe, stop, I know what we are going home too.  Just a little longer ok?  We can do this, together.  It will work and we will be fine.”  I turned to get in the truck, I knew he was trying to make me feel better but we both knew this was going to be a long battle.  We drove silently at first, I stared out the window to watch the meadows go on and on for days.  Before I knew it I was fast asleep. 

                I was finally so happy, I made it through that horrible time of my life.  I saw my gorgeous husband running after two little boys outside in the tall grass.  They looked so happy, I could hear the laughter of the two boys filled with so much joy.  I went to run towards them, but the faster I ran the farther they became.  All I could hear was the voices of my two boys, “Why didn’t you leave him, we could have been happy?  He doesn’t love you mommy, he doesn’t want you like Daddy does.  Please Mommy make the right choice.”  I tried to run faster and faster until I saw his face.  Nate was standing there in a tux with the wicked grin on his face.  I looked down to find myself dressed in white.  I began to scream and try to run.

                I felt Nick holding my arms trying to wake me up.  The moment I opened my eyes I shot up gasping for air.  I looked over at Nick and threw myself at him.  He was my future not Nate, what the hell was that dream about?  Nick held me tighter to calm my breathing.  He leaned back to look at me, we were right outside of our hometown.  Nick must have pulled over to wake me up.  “Kadence what the hell just happened?  You scared the shit out of me baby!”  Nick had fear and confusion all over his face I had to be honest with him. 

“I had a dream and it was amazing at first but then it was just the worst thing I could ever want.  You…You and me we were married and I was watching you run around with two little boys in the tall grass lands that we just made love in!  I started to run toward you and…and the faster I ran the farther you got.  All I could hear were these children’s voices saying ‘Why didn’t you leave him, we could have been happy?  He doesn’t love you mommy, he doesn’t want you like Daddy does.  Please Mommy make the right choice.’ “I took a deep breath trying to gather myself together again when Nick gently squeezed my hand. “When I finally saw where I stopped it was Nate looking evil and me in a white gown, you must have woke me up at that point because I was screaming and running the other way.” 

“Kadence, sweetie calm down, just relax ok.  As soon as we get home plan to meet with him sometime in the next few weeks and break it off.  I will wait outside as soon as you do it take off and get to my truck.  You’ll need to tell everyone about this relationship baby.  Your parents can help.”  I nodded my head in agreement.

“Please tell them with me tonight?”

“Of course, I won’t leave you alone from now on ok baby?”  I leaned over and kissed Nick gently on the lips planning to just make it a peck.  Nick turned it more passionate making my body ache for him.  I needed him and I needed him now.  I needed to forget that dream and focus on him.  “Please Nick, I need this.  Please do this for me?”  He pulled away a little to look at me “Right here?  On the side of the road?” 

“Please just make it a quick one if you need to.  I need you more than ever right now.”  Before I could speak any more Nick’s hands were unbuttoning my shorts.  I felt his hand move down into my panties and touch me.  I tried not to but a small moan slipped out.  I felt Nick trace my neck with kisses as his finger slipped inside me.  After a few quick pumps I felt another finger enter and my body was telling me I was so close.  Once his thumb hit my sensitive nub, I lost it.  Coming down from one of the most amazing orgasms, I didn’t even notice Nick had pushed his pants down to his knees.  He grabbed me by the hips gently placing me on top of him, I gently let myself sink down on him.  He felt so perfect inside of me, it was like a perfect match for us.  I moved myself up and down slowly letting us savor every moment we had with each other.  I knew he was close I could feel his body tighten up.  I started to move faster, it wasn’t long before we both were screaming each other names.  I felt the warmth of him fill my body with every last drop it felt so amazing knowing I made him feel this way. 

                We made our way to my house, I had never been so happy to see my parents truck in the drive way.  Knowing they were there gave Nick a chance to walk through the front door for once.  I didn’t even think twice I ran straight in and hugged my uncle so tight, it was like he was gone for years.  My aunt walked out and looked at Nick a little confused, the look he gave her said there was something important to talk about.  I pulled back and looked at my uncle he looked so concerned.  I took a deep breath and tried to talk but nothing came out.  Thankfully Nick saw my trouble with telling them so he stepped in.  Clearing his throat, “Uhm Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan, what Kadence is trying to say, is that the relationship between her and Nate is not what you think.  He…He is an asshole from hell, I don’t have a clue how she hid it from you two for so long, but he is controlling her every move, her diet, even has his friends watching the house.”  My parents looked at him in shock, I felt my uncle’s grip on me get tighter.  I was so happy this was finally out and I was no longer holding anything in. 

Nick

                Kadence stayed inside with her aunt to fill her in with everything.  I went outside with her uncle knowing this was going to be a very difficult conversation.  I had to tell him this and express how I feel about his niece who was more like a daughter to him.  If I make it out of this alive, I will make sure I give Kadence the life that she deserves.  We walked out to the backyard so her uncle can light a cigarette up, he always did that when there was so much to deal with.  I went to start the conversation, but he put his hand up hinting to stop and give him a second.  “Nick, I know how much you love her, I see how you look at her.  Please be honest with me, why in the hell did you let this go on for so long?”  I was beyond shocked at the statement he just made to me.

“With all due respect sir, Kadence hid it from us too for a while.  I didn’t find out…well hell I haven’t even known that long for a while. Devyn caught on quicker than anyone, but who can blame her they are pretty much twins.  Point blank sir I promise to protect her from any harm.  I do love her very much I have since we were in grade school.  When this is all done and over with and we are done with school I plan to marry her.  As long as that is ok with you?”

“Son, nothing would make me more proud than to see my little girl marry a man like you.  I know she loves you too my boy.”  Clay put his hand on my shoulder and I froze. “Now I know you want to protect her son, but please don’t get yourself hurt.  She would be devastated without you.  Y’all were meant for each other and I expect you to give her a life that she deserves.  Now how did you plan on getting her away from this piece of shit Nate?”

“Calling the cops will only make it worse, she is going to try on her own and hope that it will work.  If not we will have to come up with another plan.  I will be with her every step of the way Sir.”

“Nick please, call me Clay.  You have known me for pretty much half your life.  If you plan on marrying her, stop making me feel like an old ass?”  I was so thankful this was going so well. Once this was over I was marrying the girl of my dreams.

                We walked in to find Karen putting some stuff away in the kitchen, I was looking around and couldn’t see Kadence anywhere.  “Clay I have an idea, I think it would be a good idea for Nick to stay here.  With you, him, the alarm, and god knows what else is in here, I think we might have a chance to keep her safe here.  Nick can escort her wherever they go, I mean they hang out with all the same people.  Devyn’s mom is having her boyfriend Sean stay there with them for the same reason.  Nate apparently has it out for them because Sean defended Kadence.” I could feel my whole body drain of everything within me.  I swear I must have looked like I saw a deer in headlights.  Did she really just ask him that?  Oh god just kill me now.  Then I heard the most amazing but shocking words of my life.

“Well Karen, I mean the boy does plan to marry her, and it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have extra protection here.  What do you say, future son?”  It felt like I died and went to heaven, is this really happening?  “Well boy is that a yes?”  He let out a little chuckle.

“Yes, of course.  I have an air mattress I can just set it up in the living room or something.  Or wherever you both prefer me to put it.”  Before I could finish talking both of them began laughing and I wasn’t sure what was happening.

“Oh honey, you can sleep in the spare bedroom next to Kadence.  I trust you will keep your manners in check.”  Karen said with a wink and smiled.  I could feel the red flush my cheeks quickly.  “Go make yourself at home sweetie your mom is already bringing over your clothes and other needs.  I already called and explained everything.  Your mom is such a sweet heart.”  I shook Clay’s hand and gave Karen a hug, I walked in to see my sweet, sweet girl preparing her stuff for school.  She made everything so beautiful, anything she did was perfect.  “Hey baby.”  I wasn’t sure if she was aware of what was going on but I hoped that she wouldn’t be upset.

“So, did you uhm talk to my aunt?”

“Yes, yes I did.  So how do you feel about me staying here for a little?”

“Hmm, I don’t know.  I mean are you still going to sneak in my room? And did you bring your jerseys over?”

“Yes, I texted my mom to pack every single jersey I own.  I left out the part for my girlfriend to steal them all.”  I started to chuckle.  “And yes I will still be sneaking in.”  Her smile did things to me I couldn’t even explain if I wanted to. 

                About two hours later my mom showed up with two suit cases and one duffle bag.  I walked out and grabbed them for her, I loved her so much.  No one could ever be a better mother than her.  As soon as I dropped my bags I grabbed her into a hug.  I heard her say how proud she was to have me as a son and I fought back my tears as hard as I could.  I knew she loved Kadence and saw her as a daughter already.  Karen and her talked for a bit while I unpacked, I didn’t think it was fair to just leave right away so I decided tonight I would stay with my mom just so I could have one more night with my parents.  I knew I could go there any time but it isn’t the same as waking up and seeing them there whenever I wanted too.  I walked out and explained to everyone and followed my mom home.  On the way there I felt a strange feeling, something told me something very wrong was going to happen. 

Kadence

                I knew Nick would want to stay with his family tonight, he loved them very much.  I had to make sure I got everything out to Nate, I wanted nothing to do with him anymore.  Tonight would be perfect, my parents would fall asleep early because of their vacation.  Once they were out I would leave and take care of this shit once and for all.  I had to wait until I talked to Nick, I knew I had to do this I couldn’t let him be hurt anymore.  I told Nick I loved him and that I would see him tomorrow, after I hung up I threw on my shoes and went out the dog doors like normal.  Once I got to the end of the street I started the car and left.  I could feel my body tensing up the closer I got to his house.  Something inside me told me I needed to turn around and go home.  When I pulled up I saw only his car the light was on inside vaguely so he must have been in the upstairs loft.  Just than his sister pulled up jumping out and giving me a big hug with the most worried face I have ever seen.  That gave me the clue that I was about to walk in on a horrible image I wasn’t sure I was ready to see.  I had no feelings for him anymore so that part would be easy but seeing him in action would be the part that scares me.  I knew deep down he would blame it on me.

                I got inside to hear quiet moaning, this was it.  I started to walk down the small hallway where the sound stopped.  Once I rounded the corner, there she was, the blond bitch I couldn’t stand.  I snapped a photo and before she knew it I was dragging her by the hair and throwing her outside.  Before she had a chance to speak I screamed, “Trust me, in about twenty minutes this stupid abusing son of a bitch is all yours.”  I locked the door and made my way upstairs, to find Nate just about to walk out the door the second he saw me his face dropped with fire burning in his eyes.  I don’t know if it was the fact that I finally caught him in the act but I was pissed.  Before I could stop myself I swung with all my force and smashed my fist in his face.  Within seconds Nate’s face was covered in blood.  That was my queue to take off and get out of there.  I started down the stairs when I heard hard footsteps behind me.  I was at the bottom of the staircase when I felt his hands shove me, causing me to fall to the floor.  Knowing that it was tile, I made sure to break my fall with my side, hoping I wouldn’t hurt myself.  “You think you can just walk in here and fuck up my time?  You selfish little bitch, it’s like you purposely ask for your ass to be beat.”  I felt his foot hit my back as I cried out in pain.  The harder I cried to more pain I received, within seconds I was in Nate’s grip staring into his eyes.

“Nate it is over.  We are done.  I hate you!”  The anger that crossed his face told me I was not going to make it tonight.  His grip tightened on my arms tighter, but I had nothing left in me.  I begged for this to be the last time I ever had to see Nate.   When he let me go I started to slowly walk to the door slumped over holding my side.  Please god just let me get out of here please, I kept repeating to myself.  I felt my body be grabbed and swung aggressively, when I hit the mirror I screamed out as loud as my lungs would let me.  I never thought I would ever hurt this bad.  Holding me in the broken glass Nate pressed himself harder against me, placing his lips on my ear.  “I’m so sorry pretty girl, but no one can have you.  Your mine.”  He dropped me on the floor where I got up and ran outside to my car he started to chase me but I took off as fast as I could.  I drove to Devyn’s house, when I saw Sean’s truck and her car there I ran faster than I ever had in my life. 

                I banged on the door as hard as I could, my body was throbbing and bleeding everywhere.   I would ignore everything about him and move on with my life, it was the only way to move on.  Sean answered the door and I immediately dropped in his arms.  “Jesus Christ Kadence what the hell happened to you!”

“I tried…I tried to leave him.  He was with the blonde, please don’t let him get me.”  I felt the tears pour down my face.  Why didn’t I listen to Nick?  How was I going to explain this to him?  Oh god he will never forgive me! 

“Kadence…Kadence sweetie look at me.  Where is Nick sweetie?”  Nothing would come out.  I was speechless, I had no feelings, I couldn’t even process what the hell just happened.  When I felt his hands on me, I felt a sense of peace come over me.

“Jesus Kadence!  Why? Why would you do this baby?  I could have went with you, I would have never let this happen Kadence.”  When I saw the tears in his eyes I couldn’t even breathe.  What have I done?

“I did it Nick.  It is over cowboy.”  He looked at me confused. “I told him it’s over Nick, I told him I hated him.  He knows I want nothing to do with him.  He chased me out of the house but I took off.  With everyone knowing I will be fine now.  Please, please just tell me you still love me.”

“Kadence of course I love you.  I will never leave you ever again.  After high school we will get out of here and live on the ranch baby.”  I spent about an hour or two at Devyn’s getting cleaned up.  I felt like a burden had been lifted off my shoulders.  I could now be with Nick and make it last this time. 

                I returned home at about midnight, I went to lay in bed but it was too painful to lay on my back now.  I was only able to sleep on my left side or stomach.  Once I was able to get comfortable I called nick to put myself in a better mood to get to sleep.  To my surprise, I felt his warm touch on my hand taking the phone out of my hand to put it on the receiver.  I felt him get into bed but he stopped moving once he heard me quietly let out a whimper of pain.  He pressed his lips against my shoulder and left his chin there for a bit.  “Nick I am so sorry, I should have listened to you.  Please forgive me.” 

“Kadence, you’re the bravest woman I know.  You did it baby, but you know this was just a battle he will be back.”

“I know Nick, I know this is only the beginning.  I promise I will never do this alone again.”

“You won’t ever be alone again to do something like that.  I will not allow you to get hurt anymore.  You know how bad I just wanted to rip him to pieces when I saw you like this.  No one should ever have to feel scared in a relationship let alone be physically hurt.”  I slowly moved myself to face him trying not to cry out in misery from the pain that wouldn’t stop. 

“I know.”  It was the only two words that I could get out of me without letting my tears fall uncontrollably.  Nick leaned over and gently placed a simple kiss on my forehead, I knew he was right.  Nate wasn’t going to stop by me telling him it was over.  That was just a battle there is still a war ahead of all of us.  Thankfully Sean is staying with Devyn giving me the peace of mind that she would be ok. I hated this, if I would have just listened to the others the first time I wouldn’t have put all my loved ones in danger.  I had to forget about this tonight, this week was going to be great and I was going to make sure of it. 

Nick

                I had a lot of stress on my mind lately between Nate, midterms, and Christmas, I felt like I was about to lose my mind.  I had seen Nate try to contact Kadence a lot, at one point she had fifty-three missed calls from him in one day.  Since I have stayed in her house for the last two, almost three months, he hasn’t really shown his face.  I knew he was still watching her and Devyn like a hawk, Sean and I have been all over it.  I wanted to make this Christmas a one she would never forget.  For the past week though me and Sean have gone crazy trying to figure out what to do for the girls.  I knew Kadence wasn’t a very materialistic girl, I loved that about her.  She was so down to earth and tough as shit.  Any time I saw her smile it was like my whole world just stopped.  Kadence was a rare natural beauty, she knew her baseball and man that girl knows her horses.  What in the hell do you buy a girl that is into all of that stuff?  Usually girls are really easy to buy for, they wants shoes or something cute and romantic.  I called Sean to see if maybe he had figured something out.  “Hey bro, have you figured anything out yet for these two?  I can’t come up with shit.”

“Damn it no. I was hoping you had an idea.  Every time I try to think of something I know it won’t fit Devyn let alone Kadence.  Those two are southern at heart and nowhere near expensive shit.”  I had to laugh what he was saying was so true.

“How about I swing by and pick you up?  The girls are out doing their own thing so why not try to find them something?”

“Alright sounds good to me give me like five minutes though.” 

“Ok, I’ll be there in about ten minutes” With that we said our goodbyes and I was headed out the door. 

                The moment I stepped out I had the strangest feeling come over me.  I called Kadence immediately, what if he got to her?  Devyn and Kadence cannot protect themselves against them.  It rang three times and went to voicemail, my heart started to pound faster and faster with each ring. 

“Hey cowboy, what’s wrong?  You ok?”  I felt my body relax the moment I heard her voice.

“Yeah…yeah baby.  I was just calling to see where you are?”

“Oh ok well we are at Designer Nails, we were just getting pedicures sweetie.”  Just when I was about to say something there was Nate’s truck parked in front of Devyn’s house.  I didn’t give Kadence a chance to ask what was wrong I just hung up.  I quickly sent Matt, Ben, and few of the boys on the team a text.  Was he inside, or was he just waiting for one of us?  I slowly moved out of the truck, when I saw Nate drop out of his truck, I could feel my blood boil throughout my body.  What does he not get?  As soon as he started to walk over the rest of the boys showed up, and Sean walked out.  I knew he had been watching everyone but I didn’t know it was this bad, there was no way in hell he came here alone.  He walked up to Sean and I and gave us the smile of the devil.

“What can we do for you Nate?”

“You can start by leaving my girl alone, and Sean you can quit your gay ass act and come back with us.”  I looked down to see Sean’s hands ball up in fist.  I was just about to speak up again but Sean beat me to it.

“Listen you sick fuck, leave the girls alone and get the hell off of everyone else’s property!”  Nate started to slowly chuckle.

“Oh man you boys are something else.  You two just stupid or asking for a death wish?  The girls will eventually be back with me and the boys having the time of their lives.”  That was it, I swung and got him right in his nose, I felt several hands trying to pull me off of him, but there was no way I was going to let him live.

“You stay the hell away from both of those girls you son of a bitch!”  I felt Josh grab me by the shoulders and pull me away.

“Look bro, you knock him out, cops get involved, and you lose your baseball career.  Just take a breather real quick.  He clearly isn’t here to do anything.”  I nodded in agreement and we both walked back to see Nate getting ready to leave.

“Pretty boy, you want to play this the hard way we can.  We are not done with this yet.”  With that being said he turned around and got in his Truck and drove off.

                It was a crazy ass morning but the afternoon started to shape up the day a little better.  A couple of us including Sean made it to the mall to look for some gifts for the girls.  It was nice to just hang with the boys, they have become more like brothers in the last few months.  I don’t know what I would do without them when we get to graduation.  I knew Grandma would be here a few more years, I planned on going to Oregon State for the time being.  When I was younger I wanted to go to New York with Kadence, she wanted nothing more than to get into school for dance.  It was her dream to be a big choreographer in the city lights while I played professional baseball.  Her mom wanted nothing more than that for her as well, but we both knew her heart belonged on a ranch.  I spent so much time thinking about how much things had changed for the both of us, I hadn’t even realized that we had walked clear across the mall already.  Just then something caught my eye in Kay Jewelers, it was a white gold diamond studded horseshoe necklace.  It was more than perfect for here.

Continue Reading