The Nerd

By danielleward136

Hayden Smith is just a girl who wants good grades and keeps herself to herself whilst all the rest of the sch... More

Long Awaited Update
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12 (Part 1)
Chapter 12 (Part 2)
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50

Chapter 49

42.8K 708 71
By danielleward136

Hi Guys...

Here's the new chapter...

Hope you enjoy :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’d been sat at the side of Jake’s bed for the past 2 weeks and refused to move. He hadn’t really progressed any further. The doctors had told us that he was suffering from a concussion due to the hard impact his head had with the floor but they couldn’t understand why it was taking him this long to wake up. This slowly made me start worrying about him but as long as the heart monitor kept beeping that’s all I cared about. Emily and Brook never left his bedside. My mum had suggested that I should go home and change but I refused and told her I wasn’t leaving my best friend in case anything happened whilst I was gone. Becki had also stayed with me and we talked a little bit about prom. I decided not to tell her that I won’t be going to prom if Jake doesn’t wake up as he had said that he would dance with me. Prom was only a week away now and I couldn’t even think about what I wanted my hair to look like or anything like that. I kept hold of Jake’s hand in case he would make a slight movement I would feel it also I wanted to feel the warmth that I missed so much.

Scott’s POV

I slowly raised my fist and knocked on the door. I was so nervous. I’ve never taken anyone out before and now I know why guys feel nervous. I mean she was a beautiful girl and I didn’t know how she was interested in me but I wasn’t going to miss this opportunity. The door slowly opened and I saw Amy stood there wearing a red dress that came just below her knee. It clung to her body showing all of her curves. Her hair cascaded down in curls around her shoulders and was wearing black heels with the dress.

“Hi” She said with a slight blush.

“Hey... Shall we go?” I said whilst smiling at her. I’ve got to say I could get used to seeing her blush. She nodded and closed the door behind her. I waited until she locked the door before I held my hand out towards her. She gently took it and we started to walk towards the lift. I pressed the floor button and watched the lift doors close.

“So where are we going tonight?” She asked.

I turned to look at her and noticed my reflection in the lift. I looked at the black suit that I had chosen with a white shirt and a skinny black tie hoping it looked ok. “Le Casa de Mama... They do amazing Italian food” I said to her. She nodded and carried on holding my hand until the lift doors opened. I led her outside and towards the main entrance. I had decided to use my Lamborghini tonight to hopefully charm her a little bit. I opened the passenger door for her.

“Thank you” She whispered before climbing in. When I closed the door I took a deep breath before walking around and climbing in the driver’s side. I turned the ignition on and started to drive towards the restaurant.

“So how’s work been?” I asked her whilst watching the road. That is usually how you start a conversation isn’t it? Urg... Why am I so nervous?

“It’s been ok, a bit quiet but ok” she said. “How’s your work been lately?”

“Ye it’s been good” I replied. The car suddenly became silent but it wasn’t an awkward silence. I turned right and parked up in front of the restaurant. I climbed out and walked around to the passenger side door. I opened it and offered Amy my hand so then she could climb out. We walked towards the entrance of the restaurant by following the pathway which was lit up with small floor lights.

“Hello welcome to la casa de mama. Do you have a reservation?” The girl, who was stood behind the little podium set up at the front of the restaurant, asked us.

“Mac” I said and waited for her to find our table. The waitress led us to a table for two in the corner where it was quiet. I pulled Amy’s chair out for her before walking around and sitting in my chair. We ordered our drinks and started to read the menu.

“So is there a budget for tonight?” Amy asked whilst peeking over the top of the menu and smiling that cute little smile at me.

“Don’t worry there’s no budget tonight Miss Amy” I said whilst smiling at her. She hid her face a little with the menu but I swear I saw a little blush appear on her cheeks. When we had decided what we wanted to eat and the waitress had taken our menu that’s when I decided I was going to find out more about her. “So did you grow up in Haywood?”

“No I originally come from Cornwall”

“Oh really why did you move then?”

“Oh you know the clique reason. Relationship ended badly and wanted to move away to start fresh”

“Really so Haywood was the place?”

“Ye I mean it seems like a quiet town you know and especially living on the border... I like it” She shrugged. “So did you grow up in Haywood?”

“No I grew up in Wakeside but then moved to the border of Haywood” I said. I looked at Amy and saw the reflection of the flame from the candle that was on our table, flicker in her warm, brown eyes.

“So what made you move then?” she asked whilst moving slightly so then the waiter could place her meal in front of her. I leaned back a little whilst the waiter placed the calzone in front of me.

“Just wanted a fresh start really” I said. I didn’t really want to go into the whole reason why yet.

We carried on talking about our personal lives and I started to slowly get to know her a lot better. The more I knew about her the more I started to like her even more which I didn’t think was possible.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” I asked her whilst the waiter was collecting our plates from our dessert. I know it sounds kind of lame but I didn’t want to drive her back home quiet yet.

“Ye ok” Amy said. I asked the waiter for the bill before he disappeared. When he brought it back I looked at the total and stood up. I offered my hand to Amy to help her stand up and we started to walk towards the front desk. I paid for the meal and then we disappeared outside. I saw a park across the road and thought that would be the right place to go for a walk.

“So how’s Jake?” Amy asked as we walked through the park. It was really quiet and there was hardly anyone around except the odd person who was jogging or walking their dog.

“He’s ok... wait you know about him being in the hospital?” I asked shocked. I wasn’t quite sure if anyone had told Amy seeing as there was only me, Hayden and Jake who knew her.

“Well...” She looked down at our hands which were intertwined with mine since we had left the restaurant. “I was knocking on his door because I hadn’t seen him, you or Hayden for a few days and wanted to make sure everything was ok. Anyway his mum and dad were there and they told me what had happened. I can’t believe a car hit him. I can’t imagine what you guys are going through right now” She said slowly looking up at me. We had stopped for a second whilst she was explaining.

I took a deep breath before answering her. “Ye he’s ok. The doctor says that it’s the longest someone has ever been out of it when they’ve been suffering from this type of concussion.” This was the first time I had actually spoken about Jake out loud to someone. He’s my brother and it did hurt me to see him in that state but what was worse was watching Hayden, Cally, Emily and Brooke not move from his bedside. They were so worried about him. I looked at Amy and slowly pulled her forward so we could start walking again.

“How’s everyone coping?” She whispered whilst taking a little side step towards me when a light breeze flew by. I took my jacket off and wrapped it around her shoulders before taking her hand again and walking in the same direction as before.

“Not so good... I mean I’ve never seen his family like they are now. Me and the guys are trying to stay strong for Emily and Brooke. Hayden... I don’t really know how’s she’s coping. She’s kind of shut us all out for a while. We’ve tried talking to her but she just gives us a one-worded answer.”

“She’s really close to Jake though isn’t she?” I nodded.

“Unbelievably close... I’ve never seen Jake act the way he does when Hayden’s around” We carried on walking for a while in silence and listening to the sounds of the night.

“So do you have any brothers or sisters?” I asked her after a while.

“Nope... I’m an only child... do you?”

“No but I do have a cousin who I kind of treat like my little brother”

“Oh really... Does he live near?”

“He actually lives with me at the moment as his parents kind of threw him out”

“What a shame... do you teach him then or does he go to a different school?” I can’t believe she actually remembered what my job is.

“No I teach him but thanks to Hayden his grades are fantastic” I said. She smiled and we carried on walking towards the end of the park as we had already looped back towards the main road where my car was parked. I opened the passenger door for Amy and helped her climb in before walking around and climbing in the driver’s seat.

“So have you only recently moved into Haywood?” I asked as I stopped at a set of traffic lights.

“Ye”

“How are you finding it? Do you like it here?”

“At first it was new you know being away from home and things but I like it here... really like it” she whispered the last part which made me turn to look at her and catch her with a slight blush on her cheeks. I carried on driving us to her apartment complex in silence. I helped her out of the car and walked up to her apartment.

“I really enjoyed tonight” she whispered. I brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear but kept my hand on her cheek. I couldn’t move it anyway. I watched her as she slightly leaned into my hand.

“Me too” I said smiling at her.

“You know if you ever need anyone to talk to about this whole issue at the moment... you know where I live” She said. I smiled at her as I knew she was indicating at the whole Jake incident.

“I might have to take you up on that offer”

“I hope you do... Goodnight” she said. She leaned up a little bit and placed a small kiss on my cheek. When she pulled back she put her head down a little bit to hide her blush.

“Don’t do that” I said whilst raising her chin so then I could see her blush. “I like your blush” I leaned down a little bit and kissed her on the corner of her lips. “Goodnight Amy” She smiled at me before slowly turning around. I watched her go into her apartment to make sure she was ok before I walked towards the lift and started to make my way home.

The next morning I walked through the main entrance and towards the lift that would take me to Jake’s floor. When I entered the hallway I saw the guys sat in the little cafe for the patient’s family and friends.

“Hi guys” I said after grabbing a cup of coffee and sitting at the table they were sat at.

“Hey... Have you heard anything about Travis or anyone?” Blake asked. I shook my head.

“No but I can’t wait to see them next time... They are seriously asking for it” I said. I looked up and actually saw who was here. Blake had his arm on the back of Holly’s chair whilst she was leaning her head on the top of her hands on the table. Then there was Jamie with his arm on the back of Becki’s chair and she was leaning into his side. “Where’s Emily?” I asked.

“With Jake, Alex is trying to convince Hayden and Emily to leave the room to go outside for a bit of fresh air” Jamie said which made me nod.

“Maybe we should go and talk to Hayden” I said. “I think she needs to hear that Jake’s not gonna leave us so soon I mean he hasn’t told her how he feels so he’s not gonna leave yet” All of the guys looked at each other and thought about it for a while before nodding. We all stood up and started to walk down the hallway after we bought a cup of coffee for the Petersons, Hayden and Cally. When we arrived outside the room I saw Jake lying lifeless on the hospital bed with all sorts of different wires and tubes connected to him. Hayden was sat on his right holding his right hand with Cally sat next to her. Alex was sat on the window ledge looking out of the window now and again. I could see the sadness in his eyes but he obviously wasn’t trying to show it so he could be strong for Emily. Emily was holding Jake’s left hand with Brooke sat on her knee. Brooke look so devastated she kept moving around Jake’s hair with her little hand. I opened the door which made everyone, except Hayden, look up and see us all stood in the doorway. I smiled at them which they all softly smiled back.

“We brought you some coffee” Holly whispered whilst walking further into the room. She handed each one of them, except Brooke, a coffee and sat next to Alex on the windowsill.

“How is he?” I asked whilst walking over towards Cally.

“They say he’s improving but they also found that some of his ribs were out of place due to them being broken and they’ve not healed back properly so they’ve had to reset them” Alex said.

“His ribs were broken... because of the car?” Jamie asked confused. We all seemed a bit confused when would Jake’s ribs have been broken?

“No it was before so he must have had an injury or something... Do you know anything about that guys?”

We all looked at each other and knew immediately why his ribs were broke... Travis and Aiden. I looked back at Alex and shook my head. “Sorry Alex we don’t know” I said. I looked down at Hayden and could see her eyes were slightly red. She’d been crying before we came here. I can’t even imagine how she’s feeling now.

“You guys should get some fresh air” Blake said after a while. Alex nodded and walked over to Emily. She looked reluctant to go but when he whispered something to her she nodded and stood up. She whispered something to Brooke and they walked out. Cally soon followed which then left Hayden and us guys.

“Hey Hayden... How are you?” I asked slowly whilst sitting down in the chair next to her.

“I’m fine” She said still looking at Jake. I sighed and looked at all of the guys.

“You know you should go outside and get some air too” Blake said whilst walking to the chair that Emily had been sat in before. Becki was sat down in that chair with Jamie at the side of her.

“I’m ok” she replied.

“You know Jake will be fine even if you leave the room for just a couple of minutes” Holly said.

Hayden shook her head. “I’m not going anywhere... what happens if something bad happens to him Scott?” She said whilst whispering the last part and turning to look at me. I could see tears slowly forming in the bottom of her eyes. I wrapped my arms around her and gently pulled her into my chest.

“Nothing bad will happen to him” I whispered.

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because he wouldn’t leave you” she pulled out of my chest and looked up at me with a confused face.

“And Emily, Alex and Brooke”

“Well ye but especially you”

“I don’t understand what you mean” She said whilst wiping her tears from her cheek.

“Hayden...” I said. I took hold of her hands and looked her in the eyes. “Jake’s in... he’s in love with you” I said.

Hayden started to laugh, which she hasn’t done in the past week. “That’s funny” she said. I looked at Blake who looked a bit shocked.

“Hayden we’re being serious” Blake said. She looked around the room at every one of us until she stopped at me.

“Come on guys you don’t expect me to believe that do you?”

“Yes when it’s the truth” I said.

“Scott do you hear yourself... Jake... in love... with me. Come on be serious now”

“Hayden why are you acting like this?” Holly asked confused.

“Because it’s not true... why would he love me... me of all people?” She started to shake her head whilst lowering her head. “He couldn’t... I’m just trouble” She turned to look at Jake.

“How?” I asked confused.

“Because let’s say he is in love with me right? He could go to jail... he could lose his job because of me... so I don’t believe you” She whispered.

“Hayden you don’t have to believe us if you don’t want to but he will wake up even if it’s to tell you what we’ve just told you... he can’t leave you” Jamie said whilst turning around to hug her before walking out of the room. Becki looked at Hayden and smiled. She stood up and walked around to hug Hayden.

“Don’t worry” She whispered to Hayden before turning to walk out of the room. Blake and Holly hugged her before walking out of the room.

“It’s all my fault” She whispered.

“How do you work that out?”

“I knew I should have told him to come to the hospital once he came home that night but... I asked if he was ok and he said he was fine. Why didn’t he tell me about his ribs?”

“Hayden don’t blame yourself... this is not your fault not even in the slightest. We all know what Jake’s like” She looked at me a little bit hesitant. “Ok then were you the one driving that car?” She slowly shook her head. “Did you push Jake in front of the car?” She shook her head again. “Well there you go... it’s not your fault so don’t blame yourself”

“Ye but he was trying to protect me... if it wasn’t for me he wouldn’t be in here”

“No but you might have been and then Jake would be in this position you’re in so stop blaming yourself ok?” She slowly nodded her head.

“That car should have been for me” She whispered.

“No it shouldn’t Hayden don’t say that”

“So how did the date with Amy go last night?” Hayden asked quietly after a couple of minutes. She was now holding Jake’s hand again.

“It was ok...” she turned to look at me and raised her eyebrows. “Ok it was amazing”

“That’s more like it” She said. “I like Amy”

“Me too” I said. We sat in silence for what felt like an hour before Hayden suddenly jumped up in her chair.

“Jake” she said. I looked at her hand and saw that Jake’s hand was slowly moving. “Go and get the doctor” She quickly said to me. I jumped up and run straight out of the door and down the hallway to find Jake’s doctor.

Hayden’s POV

“Oh my god Jake your awake” I said when Scott run out of the room. I watched Jake’s body slowly move and his eyes slowly open. I stood up quickly and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Hayden” He croaked.

“Don’t speak Jake” I said. I looked around me for some water to give him but couldn’t see any. “I’ve missed you” I slowly leaned in and hugged him gently to make sure I didn’t hurt him.

“Missed you too... Hayden I have something to tell you” He said as I pulled away.

“Tell me after” I smiled I couldn’t believe that Jake was finally awake.

“No Hayden...” He took hold of my hand and looked me in the eye whilst smiling. “I know this isn’t the right time but I need to tell you... Ever since I first meet you I instantly fell in-”

“JAKE” I turned around to see Brooke run into the room. She ran to the bed and jumped on the edge whilst throwing her arms around him. He groaned a little in pain but wrapped his arm around her whilst still holding my hand.

“Your awake” I turned to see Emily stood in the doorway. I stood up so then they could spend some time with him. I mean they were his family obviously they needed to spend time with him. I slowly released his hand but I felt him tighten his grip.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

“I’m just gonna step outside so you can spend some time with your family” I said smiling.

“No Hayden stay” He said.

“I’ll be back later” I said. I looked up and saw Emily sat at the side of his bed fussing around to make sure that Jake was comfortable. I could see Alex stood there looking puzzled for a while. He looked like he was thinking about something. I smiled at them before releasing Jake’s hand. I turned around and walked towards the door. I stepped outside and saw all the guys stood there smiling a little. No doubt Scott’s already told them that Jake was awake. “I’ll see you guys after... I’m gonna go home and change” I said. They all nodded and I started to walk down the hallway. I met my mum at the end of it and we started to make our way home. What was Jake trying to say before? Why was the guys trying to convince me that Jake felt something I mean I know we’re close but he could never like me... could he?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed :)

Btw guys the next chapter is the last one for The Nerd but remember there will be a surprise as well :)

Please please please feel free to comment,

Fan,

Vote,

Add to your library and

Suggest it to friends 

Thank you :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8M 107K 45
𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 π„π§πžπ¦π’πžπ¬ 𝐭𝐨 π’πžπœπ«πžπ­ π‹π¨π―πžπ«π¬ Haze De Luca is the scariest, heartless, most popular boy in the school. Every-time he sees he...
825K 39.4K 26
1950s. ***Story contains mature scenes and Hindi phrases which are not translated in english*** Abhigyan Singh, a Sarpanch of the village named 'Tara...
599K 35.2K 33
|ROSES AND CIGARETTES Book-I| She was someone who likes to be in her shell and He was someone who likes to break all the shells. Β°β€’Β°β€’Β°β€’Β°β€’Β° "Junoon ba...
1M 64.8K 60
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...