Alter Egos

By fandm_writer

"However, there is one constant in the never ending flow of worlds. Wherever Barry Allen is, Caitlin Snow is... More

「Alter Ego」
Super Suit
Platinum
Mending
Stitches
Going Through The Motions
Going Through The Motions II
Going Through The Motions III
Together
Matching
Cracks in the 4th Wall
A Persistent Chill
Five Times
Vodka and Super Speed
Power Swap
Caitlin Snow: Tie Specialist
Fury and Frost
A/N
Blackest Day
No More Secrets
Cisco Ramon: Supply Closet Warrior
A Price Too High
See Me
What Might Have Been
What May Yet Be
Hiraeth
Hiraeth II
Mess Is Mine
Hiraeth III (New Book)
Last Temptation

Soulmates and Cellmates

2K 68 86
By fandm_writer

Description: There were a lot of things Barry had expected when he went to prison, getting a cellmate was not one of them.

Set post, 'Trial of the Flash.'

This is pretty much a crackfic.
I've stared at this for so long (and accidentally deleted it, rewrote it, and stared at it some more) I don't even know if it's a good story anymore. It's either gonna come across as funny or just plain weird. So I'm just gonna post it and see what happens. lol

Also, I'd like to thank you guys for your reviews and comments, they mean so much to me. Thank you all for sticking with me through this trash fire of a one-shot book. You guys rock!

...

Caitlin had expected a lot of things when she went to visit Barry in prison. She had expected the sad, hollow look in his eyes, she had expected it would be hard for her to see him like that. She had even expected him to be unshaven.

However, what she had not expected was the large bruise beneath his eye. Or the scrapes on his cheek for that matter.

The moment Caitlin saw it, a frown settled on her features. It also ignited a spark of anger within her, one that made the blood in her veins feel just a little bit colder.

The guards sat Barry down and cuffed him, before retreating to their designated corners of the room

"Hey," Caitlin spoke as they both picked up the phones.

"Hi," Barry greeted with a smile, despite everything.

It always amazed her how he managed to do that. How even in the face of chaos and insurmountable odds, he always managed to give her a smile. Caitlin returned the gesture, though she doubted it quite met her eyes.

"What happened?" She inquired, glancing at the bruise.

"It's nothing," Barry assured, "I'm fine."

Caitlin gave him a troubled look.

"It's just something that happened in the courtyard earlier," he admitted quietly. "The other inmates don't like me very much. But I guess that's not surprising since I used to work for the police.

"Plus they think I murdered an old man in a wheelchair, so that's definitely not scoring me any browny points." He added with a slight chuckle.

Caitlin's frown only deepened.

"I'm fine," Barry repeated. "Besides, I heal pretty quickly remember?" He added with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Caitlin knew that. She knew that nothing the other inmates could do would have a lasting effect, but it still bothered her. What bothered her more was that he let them do this to him. She knew he could dodge every punch thrown at him, he could incapacitate an entire courtyard of inmates before any of them could blink. But he wouldn't. He would sit there and take the abuse for the sake of his secret. For Iris and Joe's sake, for all their sakes.

"I know," Caitlin answered, "But still." She added fiddling with her sleeve.

"By the way," Caitlin changed the subject, slipping into a more professional tone. "How have you been eating?"

"Okay, I guess," Barry replied, "I've only fainted a couple times today," he spoke nonchalantly.

"Barry Allen," Caitlin blurted, primed for a lecture.

However, she was cut off by the speedster's laughs.

"I'm just kidding, but the look on your face was priceless," Barry grinned, his shoulders shaking with mirth.

Caitlin gave him a disapproving look, though there was a hint of playfulness and her eyes. After the laughter died down, Barry gave her a more solemn look.

"Honestly though, I'm hungry a lot," He said quietly, looking down, "But I don't let it get to the point where I faint,"

Caitlin knew what that meant. It meant that when no one was looking he fazed through the wall and got something more to eat.

"Well, it should be easier now." She informed.

"What do you mean..."

"As your personal physician it was my duty to inform the nurse of your extreme hypoglycemia and give her your prescription," Caitlin stated, now brandishing her own mischievous glint.

"I told her that if you didn't get your 'medication' it could result in weakness fainting, or even cause you to slip into a coma." She added, almost triumphantly.

Barry let out a breath akin to relief.

"Thank you," he spoke, gratitude and sincerity and his tone.

"It's the least I could do," Caitlin gave a small shrug.

"I'm just glad I got over my Lightening Psychosis before all this happen," Barry teased.

Caitlin chuckled quietly, it had become a bit of an inside joke to them.

Truthfully, the situation wasn't all that different from the time Caitlin had to used her medical expertise to lie for him. Except, there was more truth to it this time around. Barry really did have a form of hypoglycemia, and it could cause him some serious problems. Even his prescription glucose tablets were real, they had just been modified to fit Barry's particular needs.

A comfortable silence settled between the pair. Barry put his hand upon the protective glass. Caitlin mirrored the gesture, lining her fingers up with his.

"We'll find a way to get you out of here." Caitlin spoke up, "I promise."

Barry nodded, though she could tell he doubted it.

"Please be careful." She whispered.

"I'll try." He answered, "I promise."

Caitlin gave him a soft smile.

She knew he would, but she also knew it wouldn't be his last black eye. There was only so much he could do given his situation.

Not unless someone else helped him, that is.

...

There were a lot of things Barry had expected. He had expected to get convicted, he had expected adjusting to prison life would be turbulent. He had even expected he'd go hungry most of the time. Though it was much better now, thanks to Caitlin.

However, what he hadn't expected was to get a cellmate.

The screech of the cell doors opening echoed off the walls. The moment Barry saw his new roommate he knew you had to be the unluckiest man alive.

He was burly and bald, a large jagged scar across the length of his face. He also had the words 'killer' tattooed on his knuckles. Quite frankly, he was terrifying. He looked like the type of guy who crushed people's skulls for fun.

The guards un-cuffed him and locked the doors, leaving the two cellmates to get acquainted.

"Hi, I'm Barry," he greeted in a friendly tone, offering his hand.

Barry was really hoping he could get on his good side. While he had accelerated healing, he knew it would really hurt if this guy decided to use him as a punching bag.

The new arrival simply stared at Barry's outstretched hand, crossing his arms. Barry cleared his throat awkwardly and retracted the gesture.

"People call me Slash," The harsh voice replied.

"Oh." Barry spoke, uncomfortable, "That's...that's nice."

"Listen," Slash stated, taking a few menacing steps forward, "if we're gonna be cellmates, I have a few conditions."

"Uhh sure," Barry stammered, "Whatever you want," he once again cleared his throat.

The hulking figure stopped in front of Barry, eyes boring into his.

"You turn your back while I'm going to the bathroom or showering," he ground out, "And I get the top bunk."

Barry stood frozen in perplexed silence. Why would a guy who looked (and sounded) like he killed people for a living care about privacy and who got the top bunk? Barry was about to formulate his reply when Slash burst out laughing. It was far too high-pitched and dainty to be coming out of a person that size.

He then reached up and tapped the space behind his ear. A flash of blue flickered across him, and suddenly Barry was standing face to face with Caitlin.

"You should've seen your face," She giggled, "Now we're even."

"Caitlin!" Barry blurted.

"Keep your voice down." She's hushed him.

"How did you..."

"Cisco and Harry modified HR's facial transmogrification devise. It's now virtually undetectable," she gestured to the space behind her ear. "From now on you'll see me, but everyone else will see 'Slash.'

"What are you doing here?" Barry questioned, his tone low.

"I'm here to help you," She replied.

"Caitlin, I'm alright, "Barry argued, "They need you out there."

"They'll be okay. Cisco and Ralph can handle it, not to mention Jesse and Wally are back. They'll be fine without me." She countered, putting her hands on her hips.

Barry just crossed his arms and shook his head.

"Look, you and I both know that no matter how many times they use you as a punching bag, you won't fight back. You don't want to make the situation worse or risk revealing your secret. I get that."

"So let me help you." Caitlin pleaded softly. "If we play this right, there doesn't have to be another fight."

"Cait," he breathed out, "It's dangerous here."

"I worked for a meta-human crime lord for months," She stated," It doesn't get much more dangerous than that,"

"Yeah, but that was Killer Frost." The speedster shot back.

"Barry, I am killer frost." She answered bluntly.

He wanted to argue that point, he really did. He didn't want her in danger. But at the same time, he knew how incredibly brave that had been of her to admit. It's a scary thing to come to terms with the darker parts of yourself. Killer Frost was a part of Caitlin, just as Savitar had been a part of Barry.

"I know." He finally spoke, "But still."

"Besides, this isn't long term." Caitlin assured, "Oliver and Felicity are in town too."

Barry perked up at that.

"Felicity thinks she may have found something that can reopen the case and clear your name," Caitlin continued, "You'll only be in here a few more days, a week at most."

For the first time since this all started, Barry felt a bit of hope surface within him.

"Okay," he relented, "If you're sure about this."

"I wouldn't have come if I wasn't."

"Plus, pretending to be Slash does half the work," Caitlin said, "I look scary, and the story is I got transferred from Gotham for killing another inmate."

"Good choice, everyone I've ever met from Gotham is scary."

"See, instant intimidation," Caitlin gave a slight smirk.

Barry laughed quietly.

"Now that we've gotten that out of the way," She stepped forward and pulled him into a hug.

Barry didn't hesitate in reciprocating it, wrapping his arms around her.

"Thank you," Barry whispered, resting his forehead on her shoulder.

"I wasn't going to let you do this alone, not if you didn't have to."

Barry simply held her tighter, wondering how he had gotten lucky enough to have a friend like her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31K 968 27
It was you. It always was and will be you. Barry and Caitlin were living their lives normally. Barry was together with Iris and Caitlin, doing her no...
57.2K 1.1K 28
Two girls storm in the West house after they defeat DeVoe and are welcoming Jenna to Team Flash. These girls have many secrets and secret agenda's th...
43.9K 1.4K 51
Team Flash is still recovering from the emotional and physical aftershock of the black hole that tore apart their team and Central City. Little do th...
8.3K 166 27
Barry and Caitlin have been friends for a while now. Something that no one knows is that they have both developed feelings for each other. Neither of...