Fili

By ToothlesssNightfury

When Gandalf came to you, asking if you'd like to join The Company of Thorin Oakenshield on the quest to take... More

Intro (Please read)
1: A warm welcome to the company!
2: Falling in Love
3: Cuddles by the fire
4: Trolls!
5: Causing Trouble in Rivendell
6: Misty mountains cold
7: Gobblins
8: Escaping the Defiler
9: Romantic flight
10: Future Queen Under the Mountain
11: Lost in Mirkwood (part 1)
13: Captured by Elves
14: Barrel Escape
15: Laketown
16: Braiding Hair
17: New Axe
18: Nightmares
19: Second Breakfast (Part 1)
20: Second Breakfast (Part 2)
21: Fili Comforts You
22: Training Buddies
23: Battle Ready
24: I thought I'd lost you
25: Taking Care of Fili
26: You Draw Fili in Your Sketchbook
27: Surprising Fili
28: Wedding Dress
29: Second Guessing

12: Lost in Mirkwood (part 2)

883 29 1
By ToothlesssNightfury

The Company has vanished. They were here just a second ago, but now they're gone. They wouldn't just leave you behind? Would they?

Maybe they went to find Fili? You think.

You run back to where you left Fili. It doesn't take you long to realize the hiding spot is empty. The ground has been torn up and the tree Fili was once propped up against is now partially uprooted and looks like it could fall over at any second.

You are sore and fatigued, but right now you could care less. The only thing important to you in this moment is finding Fili.

You blame yourself for what happened. If you had been more focused, you would have seen the spider and killed it before it attacked Fili. If everyone had just stayed on the path, none of this would have happened.

The path. If you can find the path, you can find your way out.

You shake the dizziness from your head.

Focus! You attempt to rub the tiredness from your eyes.

You try to take a step forward, but your legs feel like rocks, so heavy they're holding you back.

You feel like your feet have been glued to the ground.

You look down and realize: they have.

A wad of thick, sticky spider web is laced around your ankles. Panic shoots through you. A shrill scream escapes your mouth, but it's cut short.

You fall silent as the poison begins to run through your veins. A spider emerges from behind you.

The last thing you see before it all goes black are eight beady eyes.

•••

"Psst!"

"(Y/N)!"

"(Y/N)!" Fili's voice calls out to you.

Your eyes flicker open. You hear a sigh of relief and turn your head towards the sound.

Fili lets out a breath he had been holding in, "Thank goodness your alive! I can't imagine a world without you!"

Your breathing is coarse. You can move your lips but still can't speak yet. Your movement is limited. You can only move your eyes and wiggle your fingers and toes. You are also covered head to toe in spider web. You want so badly to reach out to him, but can't. Your eyes begin to water.

You wonder why the liquid dripping from your eyes runs up your face instead of down, but then you realize you're hanging upside down.

A few minutes pass. You find you can move your limbs more easily and attempt to speak once again.

"F-Fili," your voice is weak, but it's better than nothing.

"Don't worry, I'm right here." Fili whispers.

You notice that the rest of the company is also here. Spiders are everywhere, watching their victims to make sure nothing escapes. It seems as if the Company is in the middle of some kind of spider nest.

"Got any ideas on how to get out of this place?" Fili whispers, not wanting the spiders to hear.

You think for a moment. Your daggers are stowed away in the scabbard on your back. Your battle axe is also attached to your back, which means you can't get to it easily, especially not without being seen. You've used all of your throwing axes. The only tool that can help you right now is your pocket knife. It's hidden in a small pocket on the inside of your coat. You can try to grab it with your teeth, then use it to cut yourself free.

"Yes," you reply, "Just wait a minute, don't move."

"Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere."

You can't help but smile, remembering that he's also stuck in a sack of spider web.

You get to work, using your teeth to open your pocket and remove your pocket knife. Carefully, you begin to cut the threads one by one until you've loosened the web enough that you can move your arms.

You take the knife in your hand and begin freeing your legs. Just when you've almost got it, you hear a hissing noise below you. A large spider turns towards you, ready to jump. Before it has a chance to move, the spider screeches like it's in agonizing pain and collapses on the ground.

Blood pools around it, leaking from a large gash in the spider's side.

All the other spiders rush over to see what happened. As they come closer, several of them also fall dead.

You've heard rumours that strange happen here, but this seems odd even for Mirkwood.

There's a rustling noise in the trees. The remaining spiders swarm in that direction, leaving you and the other dwarves alone.

You drop down, landing swiftly on your feet.

One by one, you free the others. Most of them are a bit uncoordinated and dizzy from hanging upside down too long and don't manage to land so gracefully.

Thorin lands on his feet, but stumbles, demonstrating a perfect face plant. He seems annoyed and exhausted, but gives you a look of gratitude as you somehow manage to help him up without laughing.

"Everyone up! We've got to keep moving if we want to reach Erebor by Durin's Day." He orders.

"What about Bilbo?" Kili looks worried, "He's gone missing."

You hadn't noticed he was gone until now.

Thorin thinks for a second before turning his back and walking away.

"We have to keep moving." He mumbles.

The others follow reluctantly.

•••

After walking for a bit, you come across a river. The only way to cross is by a small boat on the other side of the river. You can't just wade through the water. It's been rumoured to put anyone who touches it into a deep sleep. A couple of the dwarves manage to pull the boat to shore using a rope. The Company splits up into small groups, except for Bombur. He is too large and will have to cross alone.

You, Fili, and Kili opt to go first.

When it's Bombur's turn, he is reluctant to get in the boat, but eventually does with some encouragement from Bofur.

When he's about half way across, the boat makes a cracking noise. Bombur, now terrified, begins to shake. The boat tips over, sending Bombur into the water.

A couple of dwarves manage to haul him to shore without falling in themselves. He's asleep, but at least he's alive. The only way to keep moving is to carry Bombur.

•••

After helping to carry Bombur for what felt like an eternity, he finally woke up. He was starving, having not eaten for days. So was the rest of the Company.

Everyone had pretty much given up and were now sitting on the ground. Some had even fallen asleep.

"(Y/N)!" Fili whispers, "Look! There's a light!"

"Where there's a light, there are..." You start, but are interrupted.

"...there are people!" Kili jumps up, excited, "Maybe they can help us. Hurry, follow the lights!"

"No!" Thorin protests, " This is my Company! I give orders. No one is asking for help. Those are elves. They refused to help us, once, long ago. I will not let that happen again!"

Too late. Kili had already taken off.

You and Fili immediately bolt after him.

When you catch up with Kili, all the lights have vanished.

"Look! They've reappeared!" Kili whispers excitedly. He inches quietly towards them.

You raise an eyebrow, looking at Fili, "Well? Are we going to follow him?"

He shrugs and a hint of a smile spreads across his face, "I don't think we have much of a choice."

The same smirk is displayed across your own face. An adventure is just what you've been needing.

Both of you quickly, but stealthily follow Kili.

After creeping through the forest for a few minutes, Kili stops and holds up a hand. His eyes widen and he points his finger at a clearing up ahead. You can hear the elves singing something. They also seem to be eating and drinking. It looks like they're having some sort of party. Food! You're so hungry you'd eat anything.

Fili motions for you and Kili to back up, away from the light.

Lets go, He mouths.

You nod your head in agreement.

Kili makes a face and rolls his eyes.

Fili tilts his head to the side and just blinks his eyes a few times, looking at Kili as if he were crazy.

"Do you know what Thorin would do to us if we don't return soon!? He'd kill us! Let's get going." Fili whispers.

You sigh. He's right. As much as you'd like stay and watch, or even attempt to steal some food, you know it would only end up badly.

You hurry off to rejoin the rest of the Company.

•••

When you return, everyone is settling down to sleep.

Thorin gets up, probably to yell at Kili, but Dwalin puts out a hand and stops him. Thorin stares at him for a second, sighs, and reluctantly sits back down.

You quietly lay down, using your large coat as a blanket.

No wonder all the trees look dead around here, it's freezing. You think, as you stare up, through the dark branches, at a tiny patch of sky. You can't see any stars, just darkness. You close your eyes and drift off to sleep.

•••

You don't know how long you were asleep.

Someone orders you to stand up, but it's not Thorin.

You groggily reach for your axe as you get to your feet. You open your eyes wide as your surroundings come in to focus. You get a hold of your axe and aim it directly at the face of the person standing in front of you. An arrow is pointed at your own face.

"Ugh, Elves!" You groan.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44K 1.4K 21
"So you've fallen in love with a dwarf?" "What?! No!" When Gandalf came to Mirkwood with a quest of reclaiming Erebor, Alithia Thranduillell couldn't...
30.7K 1.3K 23
In these stories you can read about Fili and Kili, not only when they're young, but also growing up. They're all one shots, but some may refer back t...
153K 4.2K 89
*This is a Hobbit fanfiction* Iridian is a girl who was orphaned, living with a dwarf. One day, Thorin comes to her and her guardian, saying it's ti...
69.4K 1.2K 15
** under constant changes , advice not to read while under construction ** A choice was bestowed upon the children of men and elves , to live a lif...