Secret Route's keyword: Valky...

By FairoNeko

After experiencing the life as a girl who is blessed by God of Death... To then realise that's not all there... More

Living Death
Meeting Death
Knowing Death
Caring Death
Feeling Death
Shining Death
Exposing Death
Observing Death
Delaying Death
Apprehending Death
Viewing Death
Uniting Death

Walking Death

1.2K 74 36
By FairoNeko

31.

As someone not related to the main story, I stand at the side and watch how High-Flier's Heroine, Colleen Zephyr, lives her life. It is known that she is Blessed by Goddess of Fortune. It is known that Colleen Zephyr is someone very lucky. It is known that her luck causes others to envy her.

Neither me nor Verity nor Sterling nor Will nor Credence nor Lofty envy her though. If I have to say it, I will say that Lady Mega Bond definitely envies Lady Zephyr.

Lady Bond is a person who is in the 'antagonist' club along with me, as the Villainess! Because she is the Villainess, it means she is someone important to the main story. Her importance... Let's see, besides being the Daughter of Duke Bond, she is also someone who has the highest chance to be engaged with Prince Credence Tycoon.

To talk about Lady Bond... I recall something that happened which I had unintentionally brushed off. The one emitting killing intent at the party when I danced with Credence was Lady Bond, wasn't it? The one emitting killing intent and the one who made me faint were two separate people, after all.

At that time, Lady Bond was jealous of me. Right now too, Lady Bond is envious of Lady Zephyr. Because of Lady Zephyr's lucky encounters with the love interests, Lady Bond is looking more and more scary with each passing days.

That's right. No matter what Lofty and I decide, Lady Zephyr is not someone we can just avoid because we want to. It's inevitable for her to get closer to people. There is no real reason for anyone to avoid her, without causing a scene.

Back to Lady Bond. The one who notices her worsening mood is not only me. Yet, because he is part of the cause, I wonder what I should do about that.

When Credence calls me to meet him after my date with Lofty Quartz, I thought he will be the first to interrogate me. To know that he calls me to talk about his problem, I feel relieved and let down my guard. It's something I will pay for later.

For now, "I don't know you care so much about Lady Bond," I tell Credence honestly because I am genuinely surprised

"Of course I care about her. Lady Bond---Mega is my childhood friend," Credence talks about their relationship quite fondly

Do they have a setting like that? I don't remember ever learning it. I only know that Prince Credence and Lady Bond knew each other. I see. Then, why doesn't he just talk to Lady Bond instead of asking me for help?

"I asked. She said it's nothing. Even you can see that it's not nothing, can't you?" this time, Credence sounds troubled

When have I become the place they go to for a counselling? "In any case, if you want to relieve Lady Bond of her troubles, grabbing me away when the class ends with her witnessing it certainly is not the right thing to do,"

"Oh?" Credence widens his eyes in surprise

I stare at him for a bit. Since he really looks like he has no idea why it's wrong, I plainly tell him, "Lady Bond is jealous. You taking me away is certainly adding fuel to her jealousy flame,"

"Jealousy, you say?" Credence sounds confused when being enlightened

Seeing where the course of the conversation is going, I wonder if Credence will question why Lady Bond is jealous. Without knowing if I am right on the mark, Credence asks, "At which stage in a relationship does that happen?"

Not understanding what he means, I stare at him blankly.

"The reason Mega is in a bad mood is because she is jealous, right?" as I nod slowly, uncertainly, Credence continues his questioning, "Then, do you know at which stage in a relationship that will cause one party to be jealous of the other party?"

To make sense of Credence's question, I say it, "Do you even know why Lady Bond is jealous?"

Credence stares at me for voicing that. Then, while looking a little confused by my question, Credence confidently utters, "Mega is jealous that I am close with other girls, isn't she?"

"If you are aware of it..." I give him a stink eye, "Why do you purposely rile her up by getting closer to other girls?"

Credence looks away without answering me. I narrow my eyes at him, "You do realise that she will see me as a nuisance because of this, don't you?"

"Certainly... Mega might misunderstand our relationship..." Credence slowly nods to himself, "But, once she knows you already have someone, won't everything be fine?"

How annoying. Credence is treating this very lightly. Does he genuinely care for Lady Bond's feelings?

"Even if we explain it properly, what you do is still wrong," I shake my head while adding in a sigh to show how disappointed I am with him

"I will still be in the wrong, I see," Credence tells me that he is not making an excuse, "But, for someone in my position, to single out anyone just because Mega is jealous of that person is a bit hard to do,"

I can understand that, somewhat. Yet, there needs to be a clear line drawn, isn't there? "It's something you have to talk to Lady Bond about. I won't be able to help in this case,"

"A shame," Credence doesn't sound or look disappointed, "Since you are the first one to be in a romantic relationship out of all of us, I thought you would have the experience to give some good advice,"

"You know," I give the Crown Prince of my Kingdom a glare, "You are quite annoying,"

Credence laughs, "You dare to say that to my face? How refreshing," after calming down, Credence returns to track, "Tell me, do you know the stage which incurs jealousy in a relationship?"

"You said your relationship with Lady Bond is a childhood friend one," I muse based on this knowledge, "In that case, the stage where she would feel jealousy are either the one which you have forgotten her as your childhood friend, the one which you leave her behind, or the one which she develops feeling for you and is not returned,"

"Which one of the three is the most plausible one?" Credence asks me with much anticipation

Lady Mega Bond did everything she did because of her feeling for Prince Credence Tycoon. That is not something for me to inform him though. If it's a hint, "I don't know you two's relationship enough to tell. But, personally, I think it will be all three,"

"All? Not just one?" Credence is troubled, yet again

"To relieve your trouble, go talk about your relationship with Lady Bond without involving anyone unrelated," I complain, as my advice returns to step one, "Anyway, what exactly do you think about Lady Bond?"

"I think..." Credence averts his gaze, "I wouldn't mind being engaged to Mega. But, I do mind her...temper,"

Everyone needs a bit of growing up before settling down anyway. Given a chance, and telling the person upfront about the problem you have with them, that surely will be something achievable.

"You have become quite optimistic. Is it the power of love?" Credence laughs as he teases my new relationship with Lofty

"Just settle your problem with Lady Bond without involving others," I repeat, with a big hint who I mean he shouldn't involve in his relationship problem

"Mm," Credence acquiesces, with a condition, "After I talk with Mega, I will find you again to discuss what I should do next,"

Once they have finished talking and sorting out their problems, there will be no need for Credence to come to ask me for advice anymore, I hope.

32.

Thinking that we have finished our conversation, I make my way to get out of this empty classroom Credence takes me for a talk. My journey ends shortly because someone is here to stop me.

Honestly speaking, I am surprised. I also find this movement suspicious.

"You should go talk to Lady Bond instead of making her misunderstand more about us," I tell Credence plainly, intending to walking pass him to get out of the room

I take a step to the right, Credence steps left. I take a step to the left, Credence steps right. He is openly hindering me now, isn't he?

Giving him a look, I patiently state, "Excuse me,"

"In a bit more, Lie," smiling pleasantly, Credence tells me

What do I do? Make a mad dash to the window? They are locked. Make a mad dash to the door? It's not locked, but Credence is blocking the way.

"Why are you doing this, Credence?" I ask, quite patiently, I must say, "If you really care for Lady Bond, you really should have gone and found her before she gets in trouble with Lady Zephyr,"

Credence is suddenly alert, "What do you mean by that, Lie?"

"I am not the person who worsened her mood. Certainly, your action earlier will make her be jealous of me. However, Lady Bond has always been jealous of Lady Zephyr who is being quite intimate with you," I explain plainly of what is going on on their side while I was busy with Lofty

Despite paying attention to my relationship more, I do take notice of them too. It's important to know how they progress, after all.

"That's not--" Credence furrows his eyebrows in worry, "I never mean to be intimate with Lady Zephyr. After hearing your warning back then, I intend to find out what is the mystery surrounding Lady Zephyr. I don't mean to make Mega worries about it..."

"Too bad," I reply, sounding a little heartless, "And if you don't explain to Lady Bond as soon as possible, it will be too late too,"

Credence doesn't move, although he is wavering, "Are you telling me this because you care about us, Lie?"

"To be honest, I am just doing what I can to help. I am urging you to quickly settle this matter before misunderstandings cause Lady Bond more distress," thinking about it, I admit, "In a way, this is my show of support to you. And Lady Bond too,"

"Oh, so you do care about us!" Credence smiles while moving out from my immediate sight, "As a show of gratitude for your advice, I will allow you to leave,"

"I see no reason for you to stop me in the first place," I respond while walking to the door with Credence following me, "Especially if you care about what Lady Bond think of us,"

"I know," Credence says, even though his action proved otherwise, "I was just doing my part,"

I stop walking right before opening the door, with my hand on the handle. Turning a little, I question him, "What exactly is going on?"

"You should know," Credence replies, with a smile, "It's about who you were with, where did you go, what you were doing, yesterday,"

I reach out and grab Credence's collar. Also with a smile, I inquire, "Please take me to the person I was with yesterday,"

"Won't you allow me to go to Mega first?" Credence doesn't brush off my hand, yet

"If you do me a favour right now, I will help you and Lady Bond," despite originally not wanting to get involved, I set up this bargain deal

"It's a pleasure to have reached an agreement with you, Lie," Credence doesn't sound smug or any different than usual

Yet, I feel like everything is going according to his desire. What a scheming Crown Prince.

33.

The sunglasses-wearing Lofty that I found with Credence's assistance is backed up onto a wall while surrounded by Will, Sterling, and Verity.

None of them is talking.

None of them notices our arrival behind the school building.

They are immersed in a staring match. While Lofty's sunglasses are still on.

"Then, I will go search for Mega," whispering, Credence excuses himself from this carnage to mend another carnage at another place

Letting out a silent sigh, I make sure to not be seen by Lofty and sneak up on them. Standing behind Sterling, I put my hand on his shoulder and using the old trick of scaring people, I use grave voice to question, "How...are...you...doing...today...?" while slowly expose my presence

If I have to rank the height of their jump, Verity is definitely the winner. With Sterling being the runner-up. Will only flinches in surprise. Lofty, this guy, smiles and calls me, "Hi, Lie,"

"Hi, Lofty. You are not surprised?" I am unable to even ask it discreetly

"I saw my name before I saw you," revealing the truth about my failure to also surprise him, Lofty adds, "I am glad to see you are well,"

"Why won't I be?" confused but also pleased, I inquire the cause of his relief

"You were taken away by Prince Tycoon," Lofty formally addresses Credence, "Lady Bond also gave chase. I was worried something happened between you three,"

Lady Bond did? She certainly lost us somewhere. It was indeed a cause of worry. However! "I am fine. I just talked with Credence. We didn't meet with Lady Bond. On the other hand, how are you?"

Seeing that he is ganged upon, he should worry about himself more, this Lofty.

"Oh," noticing how his situation is seen by me, Lofty gives me an assuring smile, "It's okay. We were just talking,"

I raise my eyebrows at the three silent boys who won't meet my gaze, "You were being pretty silent when I arrived. Have you finished your conversation?"

"I am not sure about that," Lofty admits while scratching his head

I turn to Verity then, asking, "What did you talk about?"

"That's..." vaguely, Verity mumbles, "Just asking about you two..."

Is it because I said nothing so they become impatient? In the first place, is there a need for them to corner Lofty just to ask questions? Can't they just ask me? I understand that Verity and Sterling are family and Will is my guardian, but to do something uncouth such as this?

"We were only talking, not fighting," Lofty assures me again, coming to their defence, "Please don't be angry at them,"

"I am not angry," I reply truthfully, "I am just confused,"

Sterling glances at me and asks, "Between you two, who is the one who proposed to hold a relationship?"

Before I answer, Lofty interjects, "As I said, it's me,"

Sterling gives Lofty an unimpressed look. I give a laugh and inform Lofty, "Sterling here is blessed by Goddess of Truth. He knows you are lying," since that is the case, "That's right, it was me!" I declare boldly

"Do you plan to have a serious relationship with Sir Quartz, Lie?" Will asks me with a worried frown, "Did you propose a start of the relationship after thinking of your backgrounds?"

"Of course, I didn't," I reply plainly, "Is that a problem?"

"It can be," Verity answers while slightly narrowing his eyes at Lofty, who turns his head down in dejection, "Sir Quartz's family is quite...problematic. It won't bode well for you to be too involved, Lie,"

Oh? A different kind of problem than what I know? "What kind of problem has fallen on Lofty's family?"

"It seems like you don't know how Sir Quartz's family is affiliated with the previous Ruler of Atom Country who has fallen out of grace?" Will muses quietly while watching for my reaction

Reaction? That's right. I am reacting with a quite extreme shock right now. If I hear it right, then I am a part of the cause which gives the problem to Lofty's family! Not that I am regretting my previous action to help Monoxide and Dioxide. But, to know the consequence of my action affects Lofty's family... Wow. Who would have thought?

"I know you are close to Atom Country's current Rulers, Sir Monoxide and Sir Dioxide," being the one I took with me when I run away to that Country, Will says, "It is why once it seems like you two are going to pursue a serious relationship, that I requested the others to help in dissolving it,"

Lofty hasn't raised his head. I don't know exactly what they told him. If I have to guess based on what Will just said, it will be about my relationship with the idiotic siblings of Atom Country. In any case, it seems like Lofty feels bad towards me because of his family's affiliation with that Ruler I took down.

Do they know about this little fact?

First, I need a confirmation, "Lofty, what do you think about your family?"

Lofty is visibly surprised by my question. It's not that out of the blue. We are talking about those subjects, after all.

After a few seconds to gather his thoughts, Lofty turns his head up at me, "They are...family. Although we are known as Noble, we are also a fallen one. My parents have been trying to restore the prestige of our households, but..."

Are their efforts not successful?

"My family will expect me to restore our households' prestige, however..." even though he continues, Lofty is unable to end his sentence because even he doesn't know how to end it

"It's fine," I assure Lofty. That's not exactly what I want to hear, but to hear that, I think I understand a little of Lofty's current position and the hardship he will face. Back to my point, "Do you hate whoever it is that brought down the corrupted Ruler of Atom City which caused your family to fall?"

I ask that according to my hunch that they have yet to know my involvement, despite the rumours. I mean, the rumours were probably exchanged between adults and would rarely reach the ears of those who were still children at the time of that revolution happening.

"I don't," Lofty replies after thinking about it, "There is no need for me to hate anyone. What happened which affected my family is just the result of their own actions and choices,"

Lofty doesn't blame anyone, he says. What happened to his family is the result of their own actions and choices, he says. Will his belief change after knowing, "I was the one who brought down the corrupted Ruler of Atom Country,"

"For you to be able to do that--" Lofty responds straight away only to pause suddenly after he processes my confession

Verity, Sterling, and Will who are still here look at me in surprise at my sudden confession. Speaking of Sterling, "Is it okay if I ask you to tell me whether Lofty was lying when he said he doesn't blame anyone?"

"He is not lying," Sterling replies distractedly, because he is wondering how I can back up my claim, probably

"I am not lying," Lofty also tells me that, quietly

"I am just checking," I assure Lofty, "It's not that I don't believe you. I just want to know how the others will accept your words after Sterling confirms that you are not lying,"

"Even if we believe him, it doesn't mean it's suddenly okay for you two to have a relationship, especially if you are serious about it," a little exasperated by my reasoning, Verity chides me

I respectfully disagree, Verity.

Being the one who is still stuck in my confession, being the one brave enough to question it, Will asks me, "How did you do that?"

"I am, me," I say, while using my thumb to tap /Black Heart/

They don't need to know how I did it. They just need to know I really did it. Am I proud of it? Not really. But, it is an undeniable fact that I did it.

"For you to do that, it must because it was the time for them to step down," Lofty, he who failed to finish his words earlier, now states something based on his belief

Lofty is really not blaming anyone for the downfall of his households, is he? Rather than not caring about it, I feel like he has accepted his households to be in the wrong and only reap what they sow.

"Where does your loyalty lay, Sir Quartz?" for someone who wants to be a knight, I am sure Will is confused by Lofty's lack of apparent care about his households

"I care about my family," Lofty replies, and genuinely means it, "But, I am also aware who is in the wrong,"

To me, it's clear that Lofty doesn't blame me. I am glad. Even if I have apparently confessed without much thought, in the back of my mind, I do worry that Lofty will come to hate me.

Okay, with this discussion, I think that there is no need for them to worry about Lofty and me anymore! We are fine!

"Not yet," Verity shakes his head, "You have to seek our parents' permission first before deciding it, Lie,"

"Why? We are just dating. It's not like we have decided to get engaged," confused by Verity's constant rejection on our relationship, even by telling me that, I return with a question I expect him to reply with sense

"I don't know why you think like that, but a relationship between two households does not work easily without an agreement," as if finding my question to be too incredulous, Sterling lets out a tired sigh

I turn to Lofty then, asking if it is wrong for me to voice that question. Shaking his head, Lofty tells me, "I see no reason to involve our households in our relationship either,"

Yes! That's exactly what I have in mind too!

"Are you two dating because of love, Lie, Sir Quartz?" being the one who does not immediately involve households into the equation, Will asks me and Lofty

After sharing a look, both of us shake our heads and also reply verbally, "No,"

"Then why are you being so adamantly stubborn about keeping this relationship?" Verity voices his exasperation while slumping his shoulders

"Because, me being me," using my thumb to point at /Black Heart/ again, I let them know, "I have already accepted the fact that I would be alone forever. Yet, knowing that I do have a love interest... Even though we are now dating without feeling, it doesn't mean this relationship will last forever without changing,"

"In short, until we have a change of heart, I don't see a reason to break up with Lofty!" putting my hands on my waists, I exclaim loudly to them

"It doesn't make sense," Verity still can't accept my choice, "Why don't you think how Father and Mother will feel about this?"

"To be honest," saying it will probably hurt a lot of people, but to lie is impossible, "I don't need them to make the decision for me,"

Verity is taken aback. On the other hand, Will asks, "What about Grandma?"

I give a nod, "If Grandma Solid and Grace have a problem with Lofty, I am willing to work it out first before deciding whether to keep my relationship with him or break up,"

Sterling gives me a look of pure disbelief, "In any way, you just don't want to break up with him?"

"Not right now, that's for sure," I reply, quite flippantly, I must say

As the three hold their heads in pain, Lofty speaks up, "Lie," once he gets my attention, Lofty tells me gently, "You don't need to sacrifice your relationship with them for me,"

"Hold on," before Lofty says what they probably want him to say, "If you break up with me," if that's what they really want from us, "Will you go to Lady Zephyr's side?"

Blinking, Lofty plainly replies, "No,"

"No?" I request for affirmation

"No," Lofty repeats, resolutely

"Then I see no problem for us to keep dating!" exclaiming that happily, I understand this is just me being selfish, but, "I know there is no relationship without hardship. But, if we can overcome these challenges, together, we will be fine by the end of everything!"

It takes one, two, three, and four seconds for Lofty to bursts out chuckling. He has the gut to call me out for being, "Ridiculous!"

Lofty crouches down while still being consumed by laughter. Folding his legs to lay his head on his knees, Lofty's laughter dies out slowly. And then, there is silence.

Despite the silence, I can see that Lofty is quivering. From the faint sound of it... Is he crying? Why would he cry?

Is it because this is the first time someone is willing to fight for him? Even when he has decided to give up?

34.

Deciding the talk is done, I chase the other three off from harassing Lofty. They leave while insisting they are not harassing him. Verity tells me that he will inform our parents of my relationship with the heir to Quartz household. I nod my head to convey my acceptance of him doing his duty to the Cogent household.

After they leave us alone, I go to Lofty's side and take a seat beside him.

Softly, Lofty poses a question, "How can you be so strong and confident in yourself, Lie?"

Seeing as he has not raised his head, I accept that he still needs some time to collect himself. I answer him as it is, "I am born with it. To be honest, if I don't have this strength, I really will be in a big trouble,"

"What kind of trouble?" interested, Lofty inquires

"World ending trouble?" summarizing the event which I recalled about High-Flier's Lie Cogent, "No matter how it happens, I would have died,"

Lofty raises his head, which is smeared by tears on his face that are not covered by sunglasses, to turn his head and voices his concern, "Are you okay?"

That question should have been mine to ask about him. Yet, since he is the first to ask, "I am fine, as you can see. What about you?"

"I will be fine," Lofty gives a fleeting smile, "I am glad you have the strength to let you live without getting in that big trouble,"

I let out an amused laugh, accidentally. Hearing that makes me feel warm. With a smile, I tell Lofty, "I am glad too,"

Lofty doesn't question how I know about that big trouble. Lofty doesn't talk more after that either. Silently wiping his face with his sleeve, Lofty lets out a sigh.

We stay silent while watching the evening sky above us.

"I am...conflicted," Lofty softly confesses to me, "I care about my family, because they have brought me up the with the best they can offer. Yet, there is no love between us,"

"I was brought up away from my real family. I also did not receive their love on the first-hand basis, but they do give what they can to me," responding to Lofty's confession, I talk a bit about my own circumstance

Lofty turns his head to me to give a smile, "You are fortunate,"

I nod to show my agreement, "Besides my real family, which is also Verity's, I have a makeshift family of the people who lived in God of Death's Church. I was... I am loved by them," letting out a content sigh, I repeat, "I am grateful for their love to me,"

"I wish I am loved by anyone at all," Lofty returns to looking at the sky, "Despite being blessed by God of Matchmaking, I wonder if I am loved by him,"

"Ask then," I suggest, keeping in mind that God and Goddess do sometimes react to our question, "Ask and find out,"

Lofty takes off his sunglasses and turns to me. With his eyes filled with slight fear and anticipation, Lofty questions, "Do you think my God will respond?"

"I can't say for sure, because God and Goddess don't always act as we expect them to," I say, basing on my experience with my God, "But, if you ask, and they hear you, I am sure they will respond,"

Lofty looks like he wants to try, despite also having the fear of not receiving an answer, "How do I do that?"

"Think about it?" I question while scratching my head, "Pray?"

Nodding, Lofty turns to look up at the sky and closes his eyes. Clasping his hands together, Lofty prays.

I watch over him silently, waiting to see if there is any response from God of Matchmaking. I wait and wait, in the time when Lofty is praying while facing the sky, I watch how nothing happens.

Once Lofty opens his eyes, I feel a sense of dread. Turning to me, Lofty gives a weak smile. Raising his clasped hands, Lofty slowly opens it to show a big glitter of /Pink Heart/.

A second or two later, I cheer, "Congratulation!"

Lofty laughs, with tears falling down from his face, "Thank you, Lie,"

"Your God is so kind! The way he gives you his approval is so inconspicuous! Imagine being showered with glitters of /Black Heart/ where everyone can see it! My God is such an attention seeking God with a bad taste, can you believe it?!" in my excitement, I babble praise to Lofty's God while also insult my own God along the way

Lofty puts a finger on my mouth to stop me from continuing. Shaking his head, Lofty reminds me, "They can hear you. Don't talk badly about them for too much,"

"I think badly of God of Death sometimes even when I do not talk about it," I admit sheepishly after listening to Lofty's warning

"Try to lessen the occurrence of that happening from now on," Lofty suggests gently, then turns his attention to the fading big glitter of /Pink Heart/

"I will try. No promise," I reply while also watching the big glitter of /Pink Heart/ until it completely fades away

Lofty lets out a big sigh of relief while also smiling a little, "I am glad I am not truly alone,"

"Me too," I say with a nod, "It's good to know that God of Matchmaking does watch over you even though He didn't actively involve Himself in your life,"

Lofty raises his eyebrows at me after hearing what I said. Thinking about it, Lofty concludes softly, "I think, God of Matchmaking blesses me with /Pink Heart/ so I can find you. That is how He watches over me. The reason He did not actively involve Himself in my life is because He couldn't, as He rules over Love Interest instead of love in all sense,"

Finishing his sentence, Lofty admits, "The love I seek beforehand would be something from Goddess of Love,"

"Uuh, are you saying there is a difference between Love and Love Interest?" I question with confusion about the domain of the God and Goddess Lofty mentioned

"Love Interest is ruled by God of Matchmaking, not God of Love, as you would understand from the name They hold," Lofty explains patiently, "God of Matchmaking helps us find our other half. As for how we develop our relationship with our other half, it is up to us,"

"Goddess of Love, on the other hand," Lofty continues, smiling sadly, "She rules Love, in the sense of romantic, friendship, and familial, among other types of love,"

"God of Matchmaking blesses you with /Pink Heart/ which allows you to find me," I repeat Lofty's explanation with my own conclusion after listening to his explanation, "And as for how we develop our relationship, it is up to us. Which is why, despite being each other's love interest, it doesn't mean we would end up together by the end of it,"

"It is also the reason why we didn't immediately fall in love at first sight," Lofty adds with a chuckle, "Because none of us is blessed by Goddess of Love on our romance,"

I have to smile wryly at what Lofty is chuckling about. It's true that we didn't immediately declare our love at first sight, but seeing as we can get along just fine, it doesn't mean something like that might not happen. I keep that to myself though, while giggling at the possibility of the ridiculous sight if it were to happen in the future.

"It's late," Lofty pulls himself up and then offers his hand to me, "Let's go back for a bath or shower, and then dinner,"

"Let's have the dinner together, with the other three too," I accept Lofty's hand with an offer

"Sure," Lofty agrees to it without thinking about it, "Let's meet up at the cafeteria's door?"

I look at him, "Are you really okay with it?"

"I am," Lofty smiles, "They did what they did because they are worried about you. I don't blame them,"

Nodding, I give Lofty a little task of inviting them by himself. With a grin, as Lofty is taken aback by that task, I bid him farewell.

There is always a step needs taking for something to happen. Good luck, Lofty!

35.

The boys are being awkward with each other. Other than that, I get to peacefully enjoy my school life.

Verity has received our parents' reply which requests Lofty to visit Duke Cogent's Manor sometime later. After telling him about it, Lofty agrees to pay my parents a visit without a fuss. Grandma Solid and Grace the Witch are expected to be present at Duke Cogent's Manor later too, having returned to God of Death's Church as I attend College.

A side note: the two old women are delighted to know I have someone now.

I don't think my family will cause much trouble for us. On the other hand, there is no news from Lofty's family. Do they not know or do they not care? Even Lofty has no idea, despite being the one to inform them, by Sterling's suggestion.

Putting aside Lofty and my relationship, there is another relationship I will have to handle. It's Credence's. With Lady Bond.

Fortunately for Credence, at that time, he managed to find Lady Bond before Lady Zephyr showed up. After talking at a place where they wouldn't be disturbed into the night, Credence proposed to Lady Bond to try dating without ending with engagement and marriage, by copying Lofty and me.

While reluctant at first, Lady Bond eventually agreed to give their relationship, which would be hidden from their respective family, a try.

To some, a pair of boy and girl being intimate without an official contract, such as engagement, is a weird sight. However, engagement is a heavy commitment we are not ready to accept just yet.

To be honest, the we I mentioned is me, plus Lofty, and maybe Credence. The three of us are quite an abnormality among the youngsters of our generation.

Right, talking about Credence copying us. After she learns about it, Lady Bond has decided to stick close to us, whether Credence is present or not. Because she is not interested in Lofty, it means, at any time, Lady Bond is frequently by my side.

We are close enough to call each other by the first name. As decided by Lady Bond, Mega.

To be honest, being near her is tiring. But, Mega can be counted as my first female friend. In light of that, I endure.

"Thank you for accepting Mega, Lie," catching me resting alone with Lofty, Credence pays us a visit without his girlfriend in tow

"Hello, Prince Tycoon," Lofty greets him

"Hello, Sir Quartz," Credence replies

I learn that because Lofty's family meddled with another Country, specifically Atom Country's corrupted former Ruler, they have fallen out from the Royalty's grace. It means, despite knowing each other and becoming friends, there is no hope for Lofty and Credence to address each other other than their official title. Not being close despite being seen together, is the image they try to convey to the general population.

Politic or something like that.

"You were not kidding to say Mega has a temper, huh?" at first, I thought it was just us being children who have not matured. I didn't expect it to be Mega with an attitude.

Credence only smiles in return.

"Where is Lady Bond?" to make sure the person will not catch us discussing about her, Lofty questions Credence

"She has gone to one of her entourage's side," Credence replies, taking a seat on the empty chair in the College's garden we occupy. After sitting down, Credence goes right to business talk, "There is something I need you two to help me with,"

"Are we allowed to reject your request?" I question without trying to give him a hard time about it

"Please hear me out first," not exactly pleading, Credence asks us to refrain from rejecting him right away, "It is something important,"

It's always about important things, I don't say. Lofty glances at me, to which I reply with a nod, and asks Credence to give us the details.

"I told you," Credence means me, "That I approached Lady Zephyr to investigate about her," pausing to receive my acknowledgement, Credence continues while putting his clasped hands on the table, "I finally got a...result, so to say,"

I am interested to know what exactly is the result Credence means. I don't have to ask for Credence to reveal with a troubled expression, "Lady Zephyr, while blessed by Goddess of Fortune... The way her fortune works, it is by taking another's fortune,"

I unbiddenly wince when I suddenly recall High-Flier's Lie Cogent's demise in Ending 1.

"You understand what it means, don't you, Lie?" looking at me grimly, Credence inquires, "Is there a way for us to do something to stop her? Or contain her blessing?"

"We are not allowed to actively involve ourselves with another's blessing, Prince Tycoon," alarmed by the inquiry, Lofty speaks up to remind us

"Yet, to do nothing is not something I can do," Credence closes his eyes as he rests his forehead on his clasped hands, "She has taken one victim. Mega's entourage,"

"If what she does is Evil, surely..." Lofty furrows his eyebrows, a little disturbed with what he hears yet still knowing that we can't do anything to Lady Zephyr without inviting trouble to ourselves, "If it's Evil, she will be stopped by Gods and Goddesses Themselves,"

"How many victims have to fall before the Gods and Goddesses act, Sir Quartz?" Credence asks without looking at us

"Has the situation become that serious?" even though at this stage, there shouldn't be any problem

The way Credence wants to take action to prevent more victims is somehow mirroring what he did do in High-Flier. This is the second time a parallel to High-Flier occurs.  Specifically, the parallels to events happening in Secret Route: Valkyrie.

"I think it has become that serious," Credence affirms gravely, "The fall of Mega's entourage is the start,"

Lofty looks at me with worry. If Credence is really serious, it means we will need a countermeasure.

The Heroine, Colleen Zephyr. For what reason does she take another's fortune?

"We know to avoid and minimise our interaction with her," Lofty speaks up after thinking about it, "For now, we can only inform other people to not be close to her,"

"That really is what we can do about this problem, isn't it?" Credence lets out a sigh, not quite disappointed since he has expected this outcome

Lofty is slightly apologetic, "We can also do a research about Goddess of Fortune. If we find a similar case, we will know what to do about it,"

"Research, hmm," Credences didn't think of that

"I have the time to do it. If you don't mind, I will read some books at the library," Lofty volunteers himself to help, to which Credence accepts with gratitude

The boys turn to me as Lofty asks, "What will you do, Lie?"

I raise a question to Credence, "What exactly happened to Mega's entourage?"

"A window shattered and the glass rained on her, who was just passing by. It was a coincidence, surely," saying it was a coincidence while looking bitter, for Credence who knows the truth, it means he is repeating someone else's words, "Before the incident happened, Mega did tell me her entourage met Lady Zephyr who was with...someone and said something to them,"

In a way, that entourage girl provoked Lady Zephyr. But, for the kind and sweet Colleen Zephyr to injure someone because of annoyance?

"Mega's bias to always blame Lady Zephyr aside, I did observe people who are close to Lady Zephyr will sometimes encounter unlucky incidents," Credence nurses his headache, "I don't want to immediately point the finger, but..."

"Wait and see," Lofty says as he sympathises with Credence, "After that, take action. If a third incident occurs, it is no longer coincidence,"

"That's right," I know we won't be able to prove anything right away. Despite guessing how Lady Zephyr's blessing can harm someone, we are not 100% certain of it. What we can do is wait, do research, warn people, and see if she will continue walking this path or not.

To consciously harmed someone, will she get a change of heart or will she continue her act?

Lady Zephyr, choose wisely.

Continue Reading