Eighteen Going on Dead

By fantasy_differ

No one knows you until you die. The phrase is not unknown to many people, however even the most invisible per... More

Eighteen Going on Dead
Chapter One: Coating Anger with Kindness
Chapter Two: Ladin Biker Club
Chapter Three: Veronica Barnes
Chapter Five: Reapers Game
Chapter Six: Wrong Thing, Right Action
Chapter Seven: Dramatic Track
Chapter Eight: Catholic Sinner
Chapter Nine: Home of the Bogeyman
Chapter Ten: Jane Die
Chapter Eleven: Religious Dose
Chapter Twelve: Kiss Goodbye
Chapter Thirteen: Lake Encke
Chapter Fourteen: Prisoner on Parole
Chapter Fifteen: Bat out of Hell
Chapter Sixteen: Twenty Years of Terror
Chapter Seventeen: Defeated Rage
Chapter Eighteen: Burning Pains
Chapter Nineteen: Cornered Predator
Chapter Twenty: Blizzard Wonderland
Chapter Twenty-One: Glass House
Chapter Twenty-Two: Frozen Breaths and Warm Blood
Chapter Twenty-Three: Swimming Demons and Deadly Love
Chapter Twenty-Four: Hard Truth
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Next Chapter

Chapter Four: Upcoming Storm

65 10 4
By fantasy_differ

Gabriel took me straight home, the wind picked up as the rumbling thunder became louder as time goes by. I didn't realize it was late until I witness the tree lines turning darker and Gabriel turned on his one headlight. The book weighed heavy in my bag, I only have eighteen hours left before Gabriel take the book; it's not enough time to wrap my head around everything.

"You're upset." It was more of a statement then question.

I hopped off his bike and sighed heavily once the helmet was off. "What makes you say that?" I questioned, even though it's all over my face.

Gabriel removed the dark shades from his eyes before sitting up on Smaug. "It's all over you face and I know you."

I did not respond to the accurate notion, I only busied myself with strapping down the helmet to the seat. Once finishing with that I stared Gabriel deep into his dark brown eyes and spoke truthfully. "I need more time. You're father or any other cop in this town won't have the time to read through this, they'll pick out the first name who's not dead and arrest them- in this case, Bow has not yet kicked the bucket."

"How do you know he didn't do it? He sure as hell did not have a problem sleeping with girls half his age, why not just cross that line? He could of gotten angry with the pregnancy and killed Naomi by accident."

"And Veronica Barnes as well, two days after Naomi's body was found? A guy like that would not take the time and risk it."

Gabriel sighed heavily in realization, "Its not our job, Z. Let the cops handle it, let my father do his job. Tomorrow noon I'm taking that book." With that he started the engine back up and drove off by doing a large skillful U-turn in the direction of his home.

I cursed him under my breath while going into the house before it started to rain and become completely dark. I ran upstairs into my room after locking the door, the diary was in my hands as I powered on the copy machine. If Gabriel wanted the book he can have it, but not before I get my copies in. Page after page I made a copy of, even the ones I already read. If a thin stack of papers in my hands, I flopped down onto the bean bag in the corner of my room. If I stayed up and laid on the bed, I would fall asleep and useful hours would of slip by.

April 13th.
I found myself twice as tired than before. I could not sleep nor eat, I looked over my shoulders every time I take a step and I felt violated the more I remove my clothing in my own bedroom. It's as if the person was right in front of me, their eyes weighed on me from afar and I have no clue on who's making me feel this way. I was trapped in their game, lost on what I needed to do to protect myself from god knows what.

April 14th.
I had bags under my eyes, my skin was pale and my stomach was still growing even when I could hardly eat a full meal. I could hardly fit into my jeans and the shirts in my closet were too tight for me to wear without causing suspicion on my plump stomach. I'm two months pregnant by now, I needed to leave town before I hit three and I really started to show. Everyday I was on the verge of crying, this day was when I hit my breaking point of going on with this game. Somehow the stalker made it inside my school, notes flew out my locker every time I opened it during class transactions. I would ignore them all, each time it became gruesome and graphic- only a true psychopath would do such a thing. Then it were no longer notes. After school when no one else were around, I opened my locker to find a dead rabbit hanging on one of the coat hooks by it's neck. I never felt so sick in my life or so scared.

April 15th.
I was sick, I think I caught the flu from my best friend- Courtney. She still did not know about the pregnancy and each day it was getting harder to hide my true thoughts and emotions from her. I guess having a clueless best friend pays off. Yolanda, on the other hand, wasn't so clueless. She started to hang around us a little more during lunch or even after school if she weren't with her own best friend.

Yolanda was the first person to notice the distress, the anxious habits and fearful gazes. At first she thought there were problems at home, that my hillbilly dad finally became the town drunk and brought his frustration out on mom and dad. Little did she know, my father never touched a drink in the past thirteen years and he would never hurt a fly. Then she predicted my distress with boyfriend problems- I had to scoff at that statement. Bow and I haven't spoken in over two weeks, he stopped trying to contact me as I tried no to think about him. After that she gave up for the rest of the day and decided to watch from afar. Now two pairs of eyes were on me, at least I know one of them would not harm me.

April 17th.
Courtney and I had a fight. Apparently Yolanda blabbed about my distressed habits and fearful gaze over my shoulder, I knew she didn't do it to harm me- like any other human being she was concerned. I still couldn't tell Courtney about the pregnancy and what happened to me that caused my pregnancy. It would only make things worse in my case. I needed to leave before this deadly game ends and before any one noticed my little secret.

April 20th.
I finally brought the ticket to Canada, I leave in two days. I have my stuff packed and ready to go, now all I need to do was solve the issues I would leave behind. Starting with Bow.

A loud crack of thunder came upon the town as if Hell Gates were opening up, soon a strike of purple lightning made my heart pound as if god himself was sending the demons back to their holes. I stood up from the beanbag and stretched my limbs, a little break would help- it'll give me time to think about everything. One of it being: what happened to Naomi to get her pregnant?

Looking out the window, a flood was forming on the streets as the thick drops of rain came down like baseballs. The wind was at max speed, leaves and branches were knocked off trees and flying everywhere. My chest caved in from the site of the storm, it only gave me bad memories; not the calm nature that everyone usual gain during this.

My parents died during a storm like this one on a car accident, they were coming home from an romantic dinner- thinking they could drive through easily but they misjudged the others cars on the road. It was ten years ago, I was eight and very fragile; I haven't spoken to anyone in weeks. It took a while for me to come out of that silent state of mind when I were in foster care for a good three months, during that time Aunt Joyce was trying to fight for custody. If my grandmother gotten a hold on me, I would be in hell and she would use me as a piggy bank since she's in control of my parents insurance money until I turn twenty-one.

The streets were clear, even a killer/stalker knows not to put himself in harms way. I seem to have slightly relaxed, but my mind was still going- trying to figure out what to do and where to start. I wonder if Gabriel will still help me solve this thing, I doubt it, he was really committed on his father's badge and skills. If only he would listen to me for once. Men, can't even open their ears to what's actually important.

My stomach growled, twisting slowly from the lack of a healthy meal other than corn chips for lunch. I made my way downstairs, another strike of lightening illuminated the dim lighted living room, thunder soon followed- indicating that the storm was finally passing by.

Unlike the living room, Aunt Joyce did stock up the kitchen, being that she loves cooking more than fighting crime. I wasn't the one to actually step in the kitchen willingly unless it was the last resort to eat. I decided to grab an apple, before I could bite down on the last resort of stopping my insides from eating me; a loud crash from upstairs mixed in with another rumble of thunder.

"Christ." I mumbled before running towards the front door to grab the metal bat. The floor boards upstairs creaked slowly, my palms became sweaty and heart pounded out my chest, legs shaking as the adrenaline coursed through my veins. "Hey! W-who ever is up there, just know I have a gun." I regretted my announcement, it was a stupid choice, even a blonde wouldn't do this.

The person showed themselves at the top of the steps, pushing down her hoodie to show her distress and moist face. "When the hell did you get a gun?"

I sighed heavily in relief before lowering the bat. "When the hell did you not know how to use the door or your phone? Where the hell have you been?"

Yolanda ran down the steps and went straight to the kitchen, of course I followed behind and watched her raid my fridge for cold cooked salmon and orange juice. "Hiding."

"Hiding? From who? Why? When? What's going on?" I had a million of questions, none were answered immediately.

Yolanda stuffed her mouth with the nasty combination of salmon, orange juice and a raw apple. She must of haven't eaten in days- considering she hates eating fish. "I was hiding for two days,"

"Where? Why? Aunt Joyce went by your home yesterday and your parents said you had the stomach flu."

She gave me an odd look, confusion coated her face while she wiped the salmon from her mouth with the back of her sleeve. "My parents? They're in Hamilton, checking on my grandmother. I told them I would stay with you until they get back but..." She couldn't continue, she spaced out- looking into the distance as if a haunting memory came to her. Yolanda shook herself out of it and continued to eat.

"Aunt Joyce lied?" Lie and her name together was unusual, rare and sour on the tongue. I stepped into the kitchen, settled in the stool across from her. "What's going on?"

Yolanda downed half of the orange juice before answering. "I've been caught up in some awful shit."

"What kind of shit? The murders? I can't believe I'm saying this but Tanya said that she heard you were there on the night of Veronica's murder. Is that true?"

Downing the rest of the juice, Yolanda wiped the disgusting food from her mouth with a rag this time. She looked a mess, caramel skin slightly pale, hair matted and in need of a brush, lips held a nasty gash as if she were in a fight recently and her eyes were dark and distant. Yolanda was different, her whole persona was different. "Yes, I was there. I was the one to call it in, but that's not why I'm hiding. Do you know Samson Harris?"

"Yeah, the douche bag basketball player. What's up?"

"Well, I... we... He..."

"Yolanda, spit it out. What's going on?!"

"Samson fucked me."

My eyes went wide in shock and surprise. "What do you mean?"

No words could expose what Yolanda meant, it was all in her eyes; the fear, worry, and trauma. I reached out to take her hand, it was soft and cold, her nails held dirt, and her cheeks held small cuts. Yolanda cried. It was the second time in nine years that I've seen her shed tears, the first time was over an embarrassing moment when she had her period during promotion day. "I don't know how we both got to that park, I just remembered him trying to rip my clothes off and me fighting. I couldn't stop him, I thought I was going to die. Then there was a scream and he finally got off of me and ran." She sobbed, pulling her hand from mine, Yolanda covered her face. "He finally got off!" She screamed out, her cries mixed in with the thunder and rain.

I walked around the kitchen island and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. A hug could come a long way, in this case she needed one- we both needed one. "You need to go to the cops." I said, now sounding like Gabriel.

"It's a little too late for that, that bastard would have a better case then me at this point."

I pulled away and sighed heavily, "Why were you hiding then? That fucking idiot is not stupid enough to do anything more."

"The murderer saw me." She said plainly with no emotion. "I was trying to pull myself off the ground when the guy walked past, he was tempted to finish me off but I ran into civilization. I tried to call the police but I was so scared."

I wiped her tears away with my thumbs, "Stay here for now, take a shower and get some rest."

Yolanda chuckled through her cries, "Thank you."

"Hey, I'm your best friend and if I can't give you a place to sleep and protect you; then what am I'm here for?"

"Still, thank you. You should start locking your windows, if I could get in easily and so can others. I also accidentally knocked down that lamp while coming in. I'll clean it up..."

"No I got it, you just get some rest. You already know where the towels are and my closet." I tugged her out of the kitchen and towards the stairs, "Come down afterwards, we can make a fort or something."

She chuckled once again before descending up the stairs. I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration and fear, I heard the urge to call Gabriel but he'll say the same thing as me and take this conversation to the book. I texted anyway, I did not speak about Yolanda coming by after being MIA not why she's here. I could not sleep if we're on bad terms and I need to fix one thing before going to another- it'll help stabilize my mind.

Z: Hey, it's me. I just wanted to say that this situation should not ruin us. You're my boyfriend and also my best friend. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

I felt a little lighter, placing my phone on the coffee table, o replaced it with the remote and turned on the television. The local news popped up immediately, Tracie Delts- Tanya Delts older sister popped up on screen. Her platinum blonde hair and fair skin was the main highlight on why they placed her on tv, it wasn't her smarts that caught the news channel attention. Even though she reminded me of Tanya too much, I still turned up the volume to hear her soft voice.

"...The tragic deaths in Ladin has finally rest, today at six pm, Sheriff Watson has found the killer of Veronica Barnes and Naomi Jones- two innocent high school girls who were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Anthony 'Bow' Sanchez has been arrested for both murders and kidnapping, the police found traces of rope that matched the same rope material on the girl's body. Recordings has also pointed Anthony around the crime scenes at the time of each murder. The Ladin investigation finally came to a end, once again the town is safe. Back to you Thomas."

I turned off the television and picked up my phone to see the message from Gabriel. Being that he had to rely on a flip phone, the message was swift and short.

Gab: Don't worry bout it. See u 2morrow.

Z: Have you seen the news?

Gab: Yeah. U not gonna let it up, aren't u?

Z: Hell no, it doesn't feel right.

He did not answer back, just the long phone silence. Gabriel was upset, I knew that uncomfortable silence; even during a text it was effective. I slowly rolled my eyes at myself for being so hard headed, then again I'm doing the right thing. Bow could be innocent all I know, he doesn't deserve this.

***

The storm left a huge damage to the town, trees blocked the roads, homes were in need of repairs as car lost their windshields to fallen branches. When I woke up to the deep slumber of bad dreams, Yolanda was no where to be found; she disappeared as fast as she came in. Aunt Joyce didn't even notice she were here, the only evidence I had to tell me Yolanda wasn't a figure of my imagination was the half empty container of salmon on the counter near the sink.

Because of the trees blocking the road, schools were closed today; now that the cops have claimed to arrest the killer, everyone was free to do whatever. Which means the twins were free to throw a party, a no curfew setting. Everyone received the text message from the unknown source, it was like gossip girl.

Aunt Joyce left out early, I only caught a glimpse of her shadow in the hall when she woke up and heard the door close when she left. No words were shared last night as I kept my distance, she lied to me; Yolanda was in trouble and she lied.

Gabriel was outside by the quarter of twelve, probably to collect the diary. The bedroom room swallowed him whole, a slight tension was in the air between us, the navy blue leather book weighed heavy in my hands as I gave it up. Still no words were shared, there's nothing one can say after finding out the things I did; the pain and fear in ones story and the sympathy I felt for her and Yolanda. God I hope she's okay. Shes afraid, scared that the actual killer will find her- the guy is still out there, I feel it in my gut.

"Z..."

"There's no need to talk about it, okay. It's over with."

"Hey," He grabbed my arm gently, making me step close into his grasp. Gabriel kissed me, my mind became clear from just the simple affection, the gut twisted feeling flew out the window and my hands were on his broad shoulders. "I'm trying to help," he mumbled against my forehead before kissing it.

"The killer is still out there, I can feel it. It's like a shiver down my spine, a gut twisting feeling. I-I just know."

He caressed my cheeks, making my shut up from his hot touch. "This book will open the case back up, at the moment the psycho is cornered and will make the wrong move, which will end up getting them caught."

"What if she slips up and kill the one person who matters?" I mumbled but he heard it loud and clear.

Gabriel did not take it lightly, he dropped his hands as his brows furrowed. "Is there something you're not telling me?"

I huffed, I didn't want to lie but Yolanda is in danger and it seem like she didn't want anyone else to know. However, I trust Gabriel, believe it or not she trust Gabriel. "Yolanda came to me last night during the storm, apparently she's been hiding for two days."

"Hiding? I thought she had the stomach flu."

"Aunt Joyce lied about seeing her parents, they're in Hamilton visiting her grandmother. Yolanda saw the killer and apparently he saw her but she couldn't see his face, so she ran and hid. She stayed over last night but when I woke up she was gone." I kept it simple and straight to the point, Gabriel didn't need to know why Yolanda was there at the park; if he did, he'll go on a rampage and even on his own killing spree. "I just found out last night."

"Where do you think she went?"

I shrugged my shoulders, if I had a clue we would be on the road by now. "She won't go straight home. Yolanda wouldn't go to anyone else house, nor store... I have no idea."

"Maybe she left town already. Went to Hamilton to find her parents, have you called Courtney to see if she have seen Yolanda?"

I snapped my fingers before picking up my phone, I recalled saving Courtney's phone number in the past for some reason; but this would be my first time calling it. I put the call on speaker, it ring four times before she finally answered.

"Hello?" She just woke up, her raspy voice filled the silence.

"Courtney, it's Zaire. I'm just calling to see if you've seen Yolanda lately."

Courtney gave us a short pause as if she were pulling herself together. "No, I haven't seen her in two days. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just worried. I haven't seen her in over two days, I was just wondering if you knew where she were." I believe I had a knack for lying, I didn't do it intentionally, I just did it because it felt right in this situation. Yolanda didn't need others looking for her, it'll only draw more attention. Gabriel, in the other hand, shook his head in disapproval from my sour tongue.

"Well, if you find out anything, text me."

"Sure will." I ended the call with a sigh.

This time Gabriel snapped his fingers in realization. "Do you know that club house down on Fort Street?"

"Yeah, the one that the county shut down because kids kept getting hurt. Yolanda and you would sneak in all the time but I would always chicken out. You think that's where she is?"

"Yeah, no one goes back there anymore, everyone forgotten about it. Let's go check it out and see what we can find."

"You don't want to turn in that book? I would of thought you'll be eager to, since you've been riding my ass about it." I stated with a slight attitude.

Gabriel scoffed and bite down on his lip to keep himself from rolling his eyes. "You think that I want to be on your throat half of the time with this shit?" He raised the book to my view, it was already bent in half from his rough grip. "Z, I care for your safety, I love you..."

"What?" Those three words weren't what I was expecting from the most badass outcast in school. I do have to admit, I love him to, even when we were just friends- the feeling held a hint of affection and lust now.

Gabriel's cheeks turned red in embarrassment, he looked down at his feet. "ILoveYou." He mumbled.

I chuckled in reaction, being that fireworks were setting off in my stomach and my knees were turning weak. My lips stretched into a tight smile that'll hurt my cheeks in the morning but I didn't care, all I cared about is the good truth that another person in my life cared about me and I couldn't lose him. I wrapped my arms around his waist to pull Gabriel into a hug before kissing his chin that was starting to grown stubble and then lips that was stretched into a small smile. "I love you too." I mumbled into his chest. "Even though you're very annoying."

***

The old clubhouse was made out to be a playground for adolescents and teenagers; they had games, bowling rings, snack bars, and even a media room. It use to be the place to go to on Friday nights when you didn't want to stay home, because of budget cuts the counsel had to shut it down. Now it was just an empty building with wild animals, mold, and rusted machinery.

Trees surrounded the building, making it twice as spooky then what it stands out to be. Gabriel parked in the dirt path way leading to the front door that was replaced with boards, along with the windows. My eyes wandered around the spooky surrounding after removing the helmet, a shiver went up my spine just from looking at it.

"Want me to hold your hand?" Gabriel teased, a smirk upon his face as he removed his dark shades. I flicked him off, causing him to laugh out. Luckily one of us saw the rumor in this. Taking out the small flashlight from his jacket, Gabriel lead the way. I wanted to hold his hand, the scared side of me actually wanted to climb on his back so we wouldn't be separated; but the confident and pride side of me kept it together and used my own phone as a flashlight.

The floor was covered in paper, glass and boards; each material that could make me trip. I drift off to the side towards the game room, the old arcade games were covered in dust and white sheets; nothing was in it that was of much great use.

"Z, found something." Gabriel said in a hush tone, making me look up towards the direction he set his light on. The manager's office looked out on the main floor, a flicker of candle light caught our attention.

"Yolanda!" I foolishly screamed out, causing Gabriel to give me a cold gaze. Not that we were quiet coming in anyway, rather announce ourselves.

The candle light became stronger, so did the sound of paper and boards scraping the floor. "Z!" Yolanda, she screamed back, her voice was filled with panic and fear. Yolanda made herself visible, still wearing the clothes she burrowed from last night along with one of my hoodies, I could barely see her face from the distance. "Gabriel." She said in shock, her body leaned in the rusty railing. "What are you two doing here? Did anyone follow you?"

"No," Gabriel answered. "Come down Yolanda, we can work something out, keep you safe." He shines his light on her unintentionally.

I couldn't breath, the sight of her freshly bruised face made me want to kick the wall or beat whoever laid a finger on her. "What happened to you?!"

Yolanda whimpered, tears streamed down her face as the fear coated her eyes. "He's playing with me. It's all a game to him! He did this to me." She pointed towards her beaten face and lifted her shirt to show the gruesome wound along her side that she stitched herself. "I can't do this anymore, I won't give that sick bastard the satisfaction." Yolanda placed one foot on the railing.

"Yolanda, don't!" I panicked, my voice strained in fear. "We can go to the police, if the killer is still out there..."

"It's no use, I'm a target either way. I'm sorry, I was hoping I wouldn't see you. I just... can't anymore, he won't stop." She gave me a croaked smile, one that I will never forget before jumping to her death- head first on the concrete floor, the cracked sound of her neck made my drop to my knees.

I screamed, dropping my phone as I covered my face to not see the horrible scene. "Oh fuck! Oh my- fucking hell!" Tears streamed down my face as I turned my back. I knelt down, my legs couldn't hold me up anymore- I was weak, just like when I found out my parents were dead. I lost a part of my heart, there were two parts left that I need to keep safe- I need to put a end to this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

297 68 19
A young teenage girl, being the most popular in high school comes across a life threatening situation. How is she going to get herself out of this re...
806 79 19
A group of friends discover something unexplainable. Something that will uncover and unleash tragedy. Only that something is a she. Note: might be a...
7.2M 283K 24
(Bfflad- Best friends for life and death) Dear Reader, Let's start at the beginning shall we? I died. Oh no, not one of these stories again where som...
His Daughter By Delia

Mystery / Thriller

6.4K 311 24
Hi my name is lacey, well that's not my real name. That's what people would call me.... If I knew anyone. The only contact I have with the human race...