The Chosen One: A Reylo Story

By PresidentSputs

What if your worst enemy could appear before you without warning? See your location? Read your mind? The bond... More

Mission to an Abandoned Planet
Delusions of Grandeur
Chapter 3: To be Human
Chapter 4: Capturing the Crystal of Aantonaii
Chapter 5: Machinations
Chapter 6: Supreme Leader
Chapter 8: Darkstaff
Chapter 9: The Fire
Chapter 10: Revelations
Chapter 11: The Chosen One
Chapter 12: The Man with No Name
Chapter 13: Welcome to the New Age
Chapter 14: The Uncomfortable Truth
Chapter 15: Lost in Memories
Chapter 16: The New Knights
Chapter 17: Having Faith
Chapter 18: Legacy
Chapter 19: Finding Balance

Chapter 7: The Spark

3.3K 119 69
By PresidentSputs

Chapter 7: The Spark

Streams of bluish-white light fly by her, seemingly through her. There's almost too much brightness for her eyes to take in at once, but she doesn't dare close them. She loves this... the way the shining bursts of light seem to create patterns before her, forming and then un-forming just as quickly.

In an instant, the beauty of hyperspace is gone, replaced by dim twinkles in the great blackness and her destination looming ahead. A large brown planet, its mostly light, ruddy colors occasionally deepening into chestnut... Cantonica.

A desert planet, not dissimilar from Jakku. The difference being, of course, that Jakku is not home to one of the most luxurious casinos in the galaxy.

Canto Bight.

Finn and Rose have been on this planet for months now. They designed their own mission. General Leia simply gave her approval. Something about this place changed Finn... after Crait, she heard the story. They had only been on the planet for a few hours looking for some master codebreaker, but it had been quite an adventure. Got arrested. Broke free. Escaped with a herd of fathiers, riding one of them (she was jealous of that one). But something else had happened too... something between the lines.

Finn and Rose were adamant about returning. "For every rich high roller visiting the planet there are ten slaves trapped there for life," Finn had told the General. "You say the galaxy needs hope, that hope is how we'll take down the First Order... well this place needs hope most of all." Their plan was simple. Quietly minister to the slaves on the planet... make sure they have access to basic necessities, provide medical care when their masters would not, talk to them, get to know them, organize them.

The report Rose gave to Resistance leaders a couple weeks ago had been glowing and confident. They had managed to help many slaves escape and establish hidden villages for them in desert. But they weren't just hiding out... they were planning. Rose assured the General that a slave rebellion on the planet was brewing... and if it came to fruition, then the planet could soon serve as an important base of operations for the Resistance.

To Rey, Rose had revealed something else. Finn had befriended a boy, a very special boy. Rose told her the boy demonstrated incredible Force abilities. Once, when Finn was injured trying to help a slave escape the casino, the boy had run up to him... and healed him completely.

A boy. With no knowledge of the Jedi other than legends and stories. A nobody, just like her. A nobody who performed a Force ability Maz told her is one of the most difficult to master, an ability Rey has yet to learn herself.

Rose was very clear. Rey must come to Cantonica and meet this boy, and not only because Finn can't seem to free him from his master. Though that's a pressing reason as well. According to Rose, Finn refuses to leave the planet until the boy is free. He's developed a bond with him. Rose tells her he thinks of the boy as a brother, perhaps even a son.

She couldn't come immediately. The General needed her help searching for the Darkstaff. Not that they are any closer to finding it. What little information she'd been able to skim through the Force bond lead to nowhere... a Lorridian in Corellia, a self-inflicted explosion that destroyed him and his home. By the time they got there, the First Order had taken everything worth taking.

Spying for the Resistance through the Force bond had proven more difficult than she anticipated. Last time, he was determined to keep her out of his head. She couldn't pierce past the surface of his consciousness, those half thoughts and emotions that quickly come and go in the moment. What little she had picked up made no sense... an amber stone like a small sun, six crystals, the Darkstaff as a living thing, fear of her involvement, dual wielding?

Not that their meeting had been completely useless. She discovered new abilities through the bond. The ability to roam his location without him next to her. The ability to exchange physical objects. His glove is still laying on a table in the Falcon's lounge. She keeps meaning to tuck it away... somewhere out of sight.

Rey sighs. She doesn't want to think about him right now. She's tired of thinking about him. Him and his secret plans. This mission is a welcome distraction.

The Falcon slows as it descends from the clouds over the jagged, rocky surface of the planet. It's not far... she's nearing the coordinates Rose gave her. Just on the outskirts of Canto Bight. There it is... a couple of ships and makeshift hovels arranged in a circle. She finds an open spot to land.

As the Falcon's ramp lowers, Rey descends slowly, looking around her for signs of Finn and Rose. A couple of locals kneeling over a wash bin eye her warily then turn their attention back to their work. A spattering others—humans and non-humans—scurry about the circle, focused on their business. There is very little said between them. It's eerily quiet... no one seems to really notice her presence.

Out of nowhere, she feels a hand grip hers and jerk her forward.

"Finn!" He's pulling her along at a near run. He barely takes the time to look back at her.

"Great to see you, Rey!" He says breathlessly.

He's rushing her towards one of the ships. For a second, it feels like they're back on Jakku, when they first met, him squeezing her hand and jerking her along.

"Finn, slow down... What's the hurry?"

"Sorry, Rey, but we don't have much time," he explains as he pulls her up the ramp of the ship. He leads her swiftly to a chair with its back facing a washing basin. He practically pushes her onto it.

"I'm so glad you're here." He says with a hint of urgency and relief, crouching down and finally taking the time to look her in the eyes. It doesn't last long. He quickly begins scanning her body, like he's a droid analyzing her vitals.

Suddenly, Rose emerges as an automatic door whirs open. She runs over to Rey and gives her a tight hug and an "it's so good to see you!" before she begins yanking at her hair, pulling out her buns.

"Hey!" Rey protests. "What are you doing? What's going on?"

"When's the last time you had a bath?" Finn looks up at her.

"Yesterday, I think... why does that matter?" Rey asks with confusion.

"She smells fine to me," says Rose, tilting Rey's head back over the washing basin, pouring water over her hair.

"Whoa... wait. Can one of you please explain to me what's going on?"

"Don't worry, Rey," Finn gives her a cursory look as he fumbles through a small pouch. "Rose is going to do your hair..."

"What?"

"I'm going to do your make-up..."

"What!?"

"And I'm going to need you to put on this dress."

As Rose applies some sort of serum and begins vigorously scratching her head, Rey catches sight of the billowing red fabric Finn is holding in the corner of her eye.

"That's not a dress. That's a slip." She says flatly. Suddenly Rose jerks her head back a bit, lathering furiously.

"It's a dress!" Finn assures her. "It's what all the fancy tourist ladies wear around here."

"And why do I need to dress like a fancy tourist lady?" Rey asks, trying to fight Rose and crane her neck upwards to look at Finn. Rose jerks her head back down and starts to rinse.

"Because," Finn begins as he scrubs her face with a washcloth, "Master Kayvon is leaving today, I mean really leaving. For good."

"It's the slave rebellion," Rose says with pride, looking up briefly from her work. "The top dogs in this town are tucking tail and running before things boil over. Everyone can feel it's about to happen."

"Who's Master Kayvon?" Rey's starting to get delirious with everything that's going on around her.

"Jian's owner," Finn says with exasperation, as if she should already know.

"Jian's the boy I told you about," Rose explains, as she begins toweling her hair dry.

"This guy... Kayvon... he's a real piece of work," Finn tells Rey as he rubs some cool white cream on her face. "Seriously, I've been trying to buy Jian for months. Months. But that wrinkly pile of flesh refuses to sell him to me. Absolutely refuses."

Now he's rubbing some waxy substance on her lips.

"And what kills me," he continues, "is that no matter who I send over to buy Jian, he knows it's me! He has some random grudge against me..."

"Random!?" Rose snorts as she interrupts.

Finn rolls his eyes and shakes his head in slight acknowledgement. "Ok, maybe it's not so random... but he just won't let that go! This is Jian's life we're talking about! Over some stupid lost fathiers! Besides, he doesn't deserve to own any animals if he's going to abuse them like he does."

Rose is brushing Rey's hair now, brushing it back into one tight bun atop her head.

"Close your eyes," Finn commands. He starts brushing something over her eyelids.

"This is why I need you, Rey," Finn starts again. "Nobody knows you here. Nobody's seen you with me. Kayvon will just think you're one of the high rollers passing through for a visit." She can feel Finn rubbing something just under her eyebrows.

"Ok, open your eyes." Finn comes at her right eye with some sort of stick. She winces and pulls back. "It's eyeliner, Rey! Not a weapon!" Finn exclaims.

"So, we were kinda hoping you might use one of your Jedi mind tricks to convince Kayvon to sell him to you," Rose tells Rey.

"Yeah," Finn agrees, "and if that doesn't work..." he suddenly pulls back and looks Rey dead in the eyes. "You're going to have to use your feminine wiles."

Rey looks back at him incredulously. "But I don't have wiles!"

"Oh sure you do, Rey," Finn says dismissively. "All you have to do is put on this dress and these shoes." He drops a pair of leather, black boots with a slight shimmer and a floral pattern etched along each side.

Finn finally stands up and back to look at her. Rose joins him.

"Perfect. She's perfect," they both say, looking at each other and nodding in approval.

"Alright," Finn says, handing the dress to her. "Just put this on really quickly and meet us outside." Both he and Rose rush out of the ship before she can reply.

For a moment, Rey sits in silence, dumbfounded. Then she turns to look in the mirror behind her. Her lips are red and there is a slight shadow over her eyes. Her hair looks darker and thicker somehow, pulled up into a glossy bun. Strange...

She looks down at the dress, then holds it up in front of her to get a better look at it. She rolls her eyes. This thing has no sleeves whatsoever. How is it supposed to stay up?

"Hurry!" She hears Finn's voice call urgently from outside the ship.

Rey gives a great sigh. Then she begins to undress.

A few minutes later, she descends the ship's ramp. The dress is tight along her torso and begins to flow just at her hips all the way down to her ankles. There's a slit on the right side that reaches more than halfway up her thigh. She tugs at the dress to try to close the opening, to no avail.

She follows briskly behind Finn and Rose as they lead her towards the city. She suppresses the urge to hold her hands over her chest to cover the top of her breasts peaking out over the dress. Couldn't Finn have found something more conservative...?

She crouches next to them as they hide behind a large boulder.

"There," Finn points forward towards a large deck with several tall columns aligning it. A few casino patrons stroll languidly along, chattering aimlessly. "Right down that long hallway." Finn points. "That's where you'll find Kayvon."

He adjusts his crouched body to face her. He hands her a small purse, heavy with coins. "Ok, here's the plan. Stroll in there almost like you're lost. Then strike up a conversation. He loves talking to pretty girls, so that part won't be hard. Tell him you just arrived, but your servants have been delayed and you have no one unload your ship, clean your clothes, etc. Then ask him if he has any scampers available for purchase."

"Scampers?" Rey inquires.

"Yeah, that's what they call the slave kids here," Finn says with contempt in his voice. "He has three. Ask for all of them. If you just ask for Jian, he'll be suspicious. You got it?"

Rey nods a bit nervously. She takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. Then, she stands tall and begins walking towards the deck.

She quickly surveys her surroundings, particularly focusing on the women she sees. She tries to affect their mannerisms—shoulders resting lightly back, nose imperiously half-lifted in the air, exaggerating the swing of her hips as she walks.

She begins to walk down the long, stone hallway, through rows of columns decorated with floral vines wrapped around them. She walks slowly, casually... as though she just taking a stroll. Inside, her heart is beating much faster than normal. But outside, she looks calm and composed, neck straight and regal.

She wanders through a large arch at the end of the hallway. She hears a low, raspy voice barking orders. "No, not that one, you fool! Get the other one! Bring it to me!"

As she turns the corner, she finds herself face to face with a creature that looks astonishingly like Unkar Plutt back on Jakku. A Crolute with thick layers of skin hanging from his arms and chin, Kayvon turns towards the unexpected intruder, purple robes swaying around his ankles.

He eyes Rey with appreciation. "Welcome, my lovely guest. How can I help you?"

Rey endeavors to keep her composure, to look casual, bored even.

"Oh... my apologies," she says softly. She turns to leave.

"My dear... but you just got here!" Kayvon strides towards her, one hand extending out. "Please, may I offer you something to drink?"

Rey pretends to consider his offer for a moment. Then she shrugs her shoulders slightly. "I suppose there's no harm in a drink."

Kayvon grins, revealing a set of crooked, half rotten teeth. Luckily, Rey has much practice at concealing disgust from leering Crolutes. She smiles back at him, taking his hand. He leads her to a large chair with a plush cushion. As she sits, she fights the urge to tug at her dress and close the slit on the right side. Kayvon does not bother to hide his ogling, eyes lingering on her chest then sliding down to her bare leg. Rey suppresses an eyeroll.

She looks around her. "It looks like you won't be here for long," she gestures to the crates stacked all around her, some open and half full with odds and ends poking out of them. "How long was your stay?"

Kayvon chuckles as he hands her a bubbly, green drink in a tall glass. "My dear, I've been here for many years. I own a herd of fathiers for the races, or at least I did," his eyes darken. "This place is deteriorating quickly... the collapse of the rule of law around here has turned it into a third-rate establishment if you ask me."

Rey raises an eyebrow. "That's a shame. I must say, even though I've only been here a few hours, I can't disagree with you. I can't find a single master with half decent scampers to sell me." She takes a sip of her drink. She swallows with no small amount of effort. It's disgusting.

Kayvon nods his head in agreement. "People around here have forgotten how to keep their slaves in order. That's why I'm leaving. Going to a place where the rule of law is respected and enforced."

Rey turns her head slightly towards him, but doesn't look at him. She looks around, trying to seem bored. "Hmmm... so I suppose you can't help me acquire scampers either, can you?"

"Now," he intones deeply. "I didn't say that. It just so happens that I am the proud owner of the three most well behaved, hardest working scampers in all of Canto Bight," he boasts. "I can't sell you all of them because I still need service once I reach my destination. But I'd be willing to sell you the girl." Suddenly, he whistles and barks "Kala!"

A girl no older than seven comes barreling out from a nook in the room, her curly red hair hanging in front of her face. She is very skinny and very dirty. Her eyes are downcast, trained on the floor.

"See... what did I tell you. The most obedient scampers in Canto Bight. And for only 50 Druggats," Kayvon nods towards her purse.

Rey sighs heavily, pretending to consider his offer. She looks over at the girl, then looks away. "The truth is, I prefer boys," She says.

"Of course you do," Kayvon replies. "But I can't give up my boys. I'll need them when I get to Coruscant."

Rey lets out a light laugh. "Coruscant?! You're taking these dirty little cretins into the biggest, most sophisticated city in the galaxy!?" She shakes her head, snickering.

"What?" Kayvon leans in with a little alarm.

"Oh, it's just that I'm from Coruscant, and I know the people there, especially the elites." She giggles again. "I would just love to be there when they see these skinny, corpse-like scampers serving them drinks in your home."

Kayvon's eyes knit together. "Well, of course I won't use them to serve guests. I'll keep them out of sight. Use them only for menial tasks."

Rey laughs again and shakes her head. "My dear," she starts, "nothing stays hidden on Coruscant. It won't take long for your acquaintances to know you brought desert rats into their beautiful city."

She can feel Kayvon growing agitated.

"Well I'm not one to obsess over public opinion," he scoffs, sitting back. But he appears concerned, lost in thought.

Rey smirks inwardly. Who needs wiles when you have wits?

"Well, it's your reputation." Rey shrugs. She sets her drink on the table and gets up. "I would say that I might run into you there, but..." She lets her voice trail off, and looks away, as if she's already embarrassed to be seen with him.

She can feel him getting more and more worried.

"Thank you for the drink," she says without looking at him, then walks towards the exit.

"Wait!" She can hear him get up and scuttle after her.

She turns slowly, lazily catching his gaze. He eyes her pouch. "How much do you have in there?" he inquires.

"More than enough." She responds.

His eyes darken with doubt.

Rey lets a calm stillness overtake her. She looks deep into Kayvon's eyes with a gentle intensity. She does not break her gaze.

"It's more than enough." She says again, reaching into his mind.

"It's more than enough," Kayvon agrees robotically. He turns and lets out another whistle. "Jian! Bran!"

Two boys scuttle out from seemingly nowhere. One has long, black curly hair tousled messily about his head. The other has straight mouse-brown hair with chubby cheeks.

"Meet your new master," he growls at them. He turns to Rey. "Now I suppose it's you who will have to explain to your friends why you have these mud bugs serving you."

Rey throws her head back and scoffs. "Oh, I won't be taking them with me," she assures him. "I'll sell them off before I leave." She hands him her purse and turns to exit the room.

"Go on, now. Follow her!" She hears Kayvon bark one last order at the children. She walks back down the expansive hallway, hearing the pattering of little feet on the floor behind her. She looks back to check on them. They're heads are bowed, eyes downcast. She feels their fear and uncertainty. She picks up her pace a little.

Rey emerges onto the deck and heads back towards the boulder where she left Finn and Rose.

Suddenly, she sees Finn's head pop up.

Immediately, one of the little boys jets past her at a full run. Finn begins racing towards him. When they meet, he tucks his hands under the boy's arms, lifting him up high in the air and spinning in circles, grinning up at him. He gingerly places him back on the ground and crouches down, taking him into his arms and holding him tight. Tears are streaming down Finn's face. Rose looks on with teary eyes as well.

"You're free. You're free, Jian," he keeps telling him. "What did I tell you, huh?" he asks, pulling back from the boy. "I'm gonna get you outta here, right?"

"Right," the boy smiles, and brings his forehead to rest on Finn's. They both gaze at each other for a few seconds, overjoyed.

Finally, Finn pulls back and looks up at Rey. His eyes are overflowing with gratitude. He stands and gently takes the boy's hand, guiding him towards her.

"Jian," Finn says softly, crouching back down when he gets to Rey. Rey crouches with them. "I want you to meet someone very special. This is Rey. The girl I told you about. She's like you, Jian. She has abilities."

The boy, previously looking down shyly at the ground, snaps his head up to look at her with wide eyes. She smiles at him.

"Hello, Jian," says Rey. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She extends a hand out, palm facing upwards, before him. He looks down at her palm and then back up to Finn, as though he's asking permission.

"Go on," Finn nudges him gently.

The boy turns to look at Rey. His eyes are bit guarded, but he still reaches out to take her hand.

His soft skin touches hers.

She feels it immediately. The power of the Force rising within her like she's never felt it before. It seems to lift her off the ground... she feels weightless. Her heart swells. A deep, aching compassion fills her...

Her head tilts back slightly. She looks around her. She's not next to Finn and the boy anymore. She's in a dark cellar somewhere. She hears faint crying behind her. She turns to see a little girl with dark black locks huddled on the floor, knees to her chest. She holds her arm close and rocks gently. She's injured... the scene changes. This time she's in a forest. The air is hot and thick around her. She jumps at the sound of a loud crack. She turns just in time to see a heavy whip land a blow on a man's back. He yelps in pain.

"Set them free..." a voice whispers in her ear.

The scene changes again. She sees a mother on her knees, crying up to a man, a First Order officer, holding her baby by the scruff of his neck. "Don't hurt him, please!" the woman is begging, tears streaming down her face. The officer looks down at her with contempt, kicking her in the gut. He turns to fling the baby behind him.

"Set them free..."

The scene changes again. She is in a dark, cramped place. A freighter, maybe? It's moving. All around her, men, women, and children are packed so tightly together they can hardly move. The smell is unbearable. She hears soft crying all around her.

"Set them free..."

The scene changes once more. This time, she seems to be inside of a volcano. Molten lava shoots up beside her. The air is stultifying. She has trouble breathing. She looks just ahead... and she sees him. Standing between two rows of short, rocky columns. He's facing her. He's yelling something indistinguishable... he looks angry and desperate. She tries to make out a few of the items on the columns... a black sphere, the Crystal of Aantonaii, a small stone, and... a stack of something? Suddenly, he begins charging towards her menacingly. She tries to run away but she's frozen in fear.

She's not in the volcano any more. Bright streams of light are shooting all around her, as if she's traveling through hyperspace. She feels it again... the weightlessness. She seems to be suspended in midair. The Force flows through her as the light dances all around. She's never felt it so strongly before... never. She fills it lifting her higher, higher... so much power. She doesn't even try to control it. She just experiences it, letting it course in and around her, all throughout her.

Suddenly, the light around her turns to black. She is still suspended in the air. She curls her body into the fetal position and closes her eyes, floating. There is nothing but a pure, calm stillness around her.

Then she hears it... a voice barely above a whisper.

"You are the Living Word. And when the time is right, you will know what to do."

Rey's eyes fly open. She's back on Canto Bight, back in front of Finn and the boy. They are both staring at her with knitted brows.

"Hey, Rey, are you ok?" Finn's hand rests on her shoulder. She sits back on the ground, unable to speak. She looks to the boy. He looks back at her with curiosity.

She sits up on her knees and gazes at him intently. "Thank you," the words escape her mouth breathlessly.

She rises slowly, still a bit unsteady. She can feel Rose and Finn's concern for her.

"I'm fine," she says without looking at them. "But I need to go back to the Falcon for a little while. I'll see you later tonight."

She rushes away without waiting for them to respond. The suns are beginning to set... it's dusk now.

She makes her way down the rocky hills back towards the circled encampment, thoughts racing.

Since the General gave Rey data containing the New Republic's linguistic archives, she's been learning a lot more from the Jedi texts. She's translated passages on all kinds of information... the early years of the Jedi, the formation of the Sith, Force abilities she's never heard of—like blinding, stealth, and projection. She still hasn't translated anything on healing yet, a skill she desperately wants to try to learn, but she's finding that with practice, determination and a little help from Maz Kanata, she can pick up new Force abilities almost naturally. Her body and her mind take to channeling the Force like she's been doing it her whole life.

"Trust your instincts, child," Maz told her the last time they spoke. "There is a time for book learning to end. The words on the page will only take you so far. Reflection, experience, intuition... they will take you the rest of the way."

These words echo in her mind as she thinks about what she just felt when that little boy touched her hand. She can't exactly explain how... but she feels like she learned more about the Force from the vision Jian just gave her than in the weeks she's spent pouring over the Jedi texts. The books can teach her skills and history... but the vision she just had communicated something much deeper. If the Force can be understood as an intelligence, then the vision seemed to invite her into the Force's mind, showing her its thoughts and desires, its current preoccupations as it continues to work towards its ultimate goal, its reason for being— the never-ending pursuit of a balance always just out of reach.

You are the Living Word.

She has no idea whatsoever what that means. She hasn't translated any references to a "Living Word" in the Jedi texts. But she did recently translate something else. About an ancient prophecy... The Chosen One. Something about that boy reminded her of it.

She needs to re-read that passage, to remember exactly what it says. She knows the conventional wisdom... Maz told her that Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader to many, was the Chosen One. But her instincts, her intuition... wat she just felt with Jian. Maybe the conventional wisdom is wrong.

She swiftly ascends the Falcon's ramp and closes it behind her. She walks over to the trap door on the Falcon and squats down, lifting it.

Suddenly, the trap door drops shut as she sits up erect. He's here. She feels his gaze on her back.

She pivots and turns to look behind her.

He's standing a few paces ahead, staring with his head slightly cocked to the side. She turns to fully face him, sitting back on her feet on the floor.

They lock eyes, wordless for a few seconds. Why is he looking at her so strangely...?

Oh... the dress.

She looks down at herself and back up at him again, shaking her head. "Don't ask."

He raises his eyebrows for a moment, then begins to walk around the lounge, taking in his surroundings. He picks up his glove laying on a table, then puts it back down.

"Do you still have my button?" She asks.

He looks slightly towards her and nods. He continues to walk, looking around. He's making her nervous... she's remembering what happened the last time he showed up on the Falcon.

"I'm on Cantonica," she blurts out. He turns towards her. She stands. He looks her up and down.

"I'm not here for the Darkstaff," she assures him. He'll sense that she's telling the truth. "I'm just here to help some friends. There's no reason for the First Order to come here." As the words escape her, she pushes a certain piece of information back in the depths of her mind... the brewing slave rebellion. She can't think of a reason he would care about that, but someone else in the First Order's ranks might.

He nods, slightly, and resumes his walk around the lounge. What is he doing?

She lets herself be still to sense his emotions, his thoughts... he's... lost in memories. Of a life long ago. He stops as he looks down at a bed in the corner. She sees the image in his mind. A young boy, head resting on Han Solo's chest, Han's arms wrapped around him. They're both half asleep, eyes closed. Han reaches out to tousle the boy's hair. "Rascal..." he whispers.

Ben stands, just staring down at the bed. Her heart hurts... she can feel how much his is aching.

A sudden clatter above snaps both of them out of the trance. He looks back at her. "What was that?"

She shrugs. "Porgs."

He knits his eyebrows together as if to say "Really?" Then he resumes his walk around the lounge.

She watches him quietly, curiously.

"Actually... I'm glad you're here," Rey finally says. She walks over to take seat nearby and looks up at him. He stops moving and turns to face her.

"What do you know about the prophecy of the Chosen One?" She inquires. She can sense him stiffen as she asks the question.

He takes a breath. "Why do you ask?" He's trying to conceal alarm. She didn't realize this question would trigger his paranoia. Then again, most things trigger his paranoia...

"I met a boy today... a very special boy. He's strong in the Force." At this, she can feel his interest piquing. He walks towards her.

For a moment, a white panic washes over Rey. What if she shouldn't be telling him this...? Sensing her fear, he assures her, "I have more important things to do than capture Force-sensitive little boys."

She relaxes a little. "Ben," she feels him flinch inwardly at the name, "this boy has absolutely no training, but a few weeks ago he healed my friend."

"Did the healing stick?" he asks. The question catches her of guard. She didn't know it was possible for it not too.

"My friend is still alive and completely whole," she answers. He sits next to her and leans forward, forearms resting on his knees.

"So... the Chosen One," she continues. "He's supposed to be a person with incredible Force power, correct? Enough power to bring balance to the Force."

He looks over at her and nods. "So... what's the nature of this balance? What does it mean to 'bring balance to the Force?'" She looks up at him.

She looks back down immediately, cheeks burning. She feels the blush spread down her neck and chest.

He is not thinking about their conversation at all. For the first time, she really wishes she couldn't read his thoughts. She endeavors to compose herself, to pretend that she doesn't know what he's thinking about. But she can't stop blushing... He's still looking down the front of her dress.

She takes a breath. A few more seconds pass.

"Ben..." she says with a hint of annoyance.

He looks away from her. "What was the question again?" He asks.

She sighs. "What does it mean to truly bring balance to the Force?"

"The Jedi interpreted the prophecy to mean that the Chosen One would destroy the Sith once and for all," he answers.

"Ok... the last Sith lord is no more, thanks to your grandfather. So, I guess the Force is already balanced?" Even as she asks the question she instinctively feels the answer in her heart. The prophecy must still be unfulfilled... this galaxy, in its current state, is anything but balanced.

"What do you think?" She looks up at him again. "Do you think the prophecy has already been fulfilled?" Their eyes lock.

Aaaand... he's not thinking about their conversation again.

She turns away abruptly, blushes renewing. She's not going to learn anything from him if his mind keeps getting distracted. Without looking at him, she points to the left. "Will you please hand me that jacket?" She asks.

He gets up and walks over to where she's pointing. He removes the jacket from its hook and walks back to her. His arm extends towards her with the jacket hanging off his index and middle fingers. He looks her up and down a final time.

"I like your dress," he compliments her.

"I'm aware." She blushes again as she takes the jacket from him and quickly puts it on, wrapping it around her body. She turns slightly away from him and he retakes his seat next to her. For a second, they both struggle to suppress a smile.

"So..." she begins again. "What do you think? Has the prophecy been fulfilled?"

He doesn't answer her. He looks out into nothing... considering. She can feel his uncertainty... of how to answer her. She's onto something. She can feel it. These questions make him very uncomfortable.

"I don't know," he lies.

He thinks the prophecy is unfulfilled too. Why does he even bother trying to lie to her?

He stands up abruptly and walks away. He sighs, exasperated. She can feel his exhaustion—He's tired of trying to keep her out of his head.

Rey gets up and walks over to the trap door on the Falcon. She lifts it and drops inside the space below the floor.

Ben looks on, curiously.

She crawls back up with the metal case where she keeps the Jedi texts. She wants to show him the exact wording of the prophecy as she's translated it... it mentions nothing about destroying the Sith.

She sets the case on the table, then presses a thumb to unlock it. He's walking up behind her, eyeing the case. It opens, revealing its contents.

Immediately, she feels a storm of emotions from behind rip through her all at once. He feels excitement, relief, anticipation, fear, guilt... the emotions rage as he desperately tries to contain them. She turns a heel to face him. What is going on...?

He takes a step back as she catches his gaze. His emotions are still turbulent. He's struggling to suppress them.

For the first time in quite a while, she's able to probe the depths of his mind. He can't stop her. His guard is down.

To her surprise, she sees the same image she saw earlier in the vision Jian gave her. The volcano. The bursts of lava. Him... Ben.... standing between the rocky columns. This time, his head is bowed and his back is to her.

She focuses her attention to the items on the columns. On the first row, she sees the Crystal of Aantonaii, a black sphere, a staff... on the other, she sees a small stone, then—

Suddenly it's like she's flying through hyperspace without a ship, a blinding brightness all around her. She sees an image off in the distance... it grows closer, closer... It's a tree. A giant, towering tree. Its leaves are... strange. They're black and drooping, almost as if they're dead. The trunk is massive and knotted. It looks dead too... and yet strangely vibrant at the same time. A vibrant, living darkness.

Finally, he pushes her out of his head with a force that knocks her back. He's backing away from her, breathing heavily, eyes wide and afraid. He looks exactly like he did the first time she probed his mind on Starkiller base.

She looks at him in confusion. He looks back at her in panic.

Then in an instant, he's gone.

She stands, leaning back on the table behind her, still trying to process what just happened. What did just happen?

She turns to face the table and leans over, resting her palms on it.

What on earth triggered that? He is usually much better at containing his emotions, keeping her out of his head. What destroyed his mental guard so suddenly?

The Chosen One.

That must be it. Her questions really got to him. She could sense it from the moment she began asking him. She's accidentally stumbled upon something central to his plans... but she's not sure how. Every time she sees him, she discovers a new piece to the puzzle. His intentions with the Sith artifacts. But she still can't see the whole picture. Not yet.

That tree though... she felt its significance to him. It's where the Darkstaff is hidden.

She turns abruptly, looking around. She needs to get this information to the General immediately. The race is on... he'll try to get there before she does. She must discover where this tree is located. Now.

Where is that commlink?

As she searches, she sees his glove on the table. She walks over to pick it up, holding it for a moment, feeling the thickness of the fabric.

Then she puts it in the case with the Jedi texts and locks it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.6K 589 72
Nhicollas Knight Sandoval is a school gangster yes hilig niya ang pumasok sa kung ano-anong gulo hindi nga yata matatapos ang isang araw na wala iton...
398K 25K 89
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
27.6K 4.8K 47
දරුණු මාෆියා නායකයෙක්.... ඔහුව මත් කල හැඟීම ලුහුබඳින අතරතුර.... Hush.... Chasing the feeling that intoxicates me.... JJK Mafia || Sinhala Start - 20...
6.6K 91 6
ᴢᴀᴄʜ ᴊᴜꜱᴛɪᴄᴇ x ꜰᴇᴍᴀʟᴇ ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ᴢᴀᴄʜ ᴊᴜꜱᴛɪᴄᴇ x ʏ/ɴ ʀᴇQᴜᴇꜱᴛ ᴀʀᴇ ᴏᴘᴇɴ! ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ʀᴇQᴜᴇꜱᴛ! ᴛʜᴇꜱᴇ ꜱᴛᴏʀʏʟɪɴᴇꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇʟʏ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ᴜᴘ. ᴠᴏᴛᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ᴀ...