The Perfect Balance

By istolethecookiez

They say you can learn a lot from a book, but no book has taught me how to be a regular teenager. No book has... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Seventeen

10K 447 122
By istolethecookiez

For the rest of the week, Diego and I skip study hall to hang out at his house. We don't bother inviting the others and they don't seem to mind. It makes things easier that Diego's father is rarely home because there's less sneaking around. We don't do anything really. We just kiss, lay in bed, and talk. It's only for a little over an hour and we always set an alarm so he can sneak me back to the parking lot before my brothers get out of class.

Sometimes, we cut it a little too close but I usually just text my brothers. When that happens, Diego drops me off on the side of the school so I can rush across the lot and apologize profusely once I get in the car. I think we've put a little too much thought into this but I don't want to risk my brothers finding out. Nate already knows and Benji has an idea. But Calum doesn't and I know that if Calum and I are arguing, he won't hold back my secret relationship. So, just to be safe, I need to keep everything under wraps. Because if my parents somehow find out, Diego and I are both screwed.

When the alarm goes off on Thursday, we fall back into our routine. Diego groans as he turns it off. He looks at me and sighs. "Come on, get up," he insists, shaking the blankets so I have no choice but to move. I sit up and follow his lead as I put on my shoes and jacket. I do the drill.

1.) I put my backpack on and we wordlessly walk downstairs. He pets Diablo goodbye. 

2.) I get on his bike and wrap my arms tightly around his waist. 

3.) He starts the motorcycle and we're off. 

4.) We arrive a few feet away from my brother's car. 

I note that we're a few minutes early so I take my time getting off the bike. He helps me remove the helmet, holding it under his arm. As I'm about to walk to the car, he grabs my wrist and pulls me to him. He leaves a quick peck on my lips and I smile girlishly up at him. "I'll call you," he promises and I nod.

"Okay, hurry up and get out of here," I insist and he laughs before tugging the helmet onto his head. In a swift motion, he starts the bike and speeds out of the lot. As I approach the car, I notice my brothers sitting in it. Their eyes are all on me as I pull open the passenger's side door. I feel my face drain as I take my usual seat. Act casual. "Hey guys." In an attempt to act nonchalant, I buckle my seatbelt and busy myself with shifting my bag around at my feet. I sit up and sigh in a false relaxed tone. I risk a glance at Calum, who gazes at me with a look of discomfort on his face. 

"Hi," Calum says in an uncomfortable tone. He shifts his faze and starts the car.

"Heeeyyy," Nate drawls in amusement from his place in the backseat.

"So...are we just going to ignore the fact that Orion just pulled up on the back of Diego's motorcycle and then kissed him?" Ben asks.

"Not to brag, but I've known for a while, right O?" Nate pipes as he shoves his head between the two front seats. I'm sure if I was sitting beside him, he'd nudge me in the side endearingly. 

I don't even know what to say or how I could possibly lie to get out of it. "So are you guys going to tell mom and dad?" I ask, cutting to the chase.

"We both know I can keep a secret," Nate says as he sits back and looks between our two brothers.

"I don't care," Ben answers. "As long as I don't have to see that again."

I look to Calum only to see him looking out of the window. "I told you before that I wouldn't tell mom and dad," he reminds me and I nearly sigh in relief. I can sense a 'but' coming so I keep it held in. "But I expect you to tell them soon. I'm not going to sit here knowing that you skip class, ride his motorcycle, and do whatever else it is you guys do." 

"So if I don't tell them, you will?" I ask.

"I didn't say that," he clarifies. "I'm just saying that they have the right to know."

I roll my eyes hard. "I'll tell them on my own time," I snap. I look in the rear-view mirror at my two younger brothers. "Thanks for knowing how to keep a secret guys."

As soon as I get home, I rush upstairs and dial Diana's number. She answers immediately. "Hey," she says.

"Diana," I hiss. "My brothers know. They found out."

"About Diego?" she asks.

"Yes!" I reply. "I don't know what to do. They told me they won't say anything to my parents but I think Calum eventually will."

"You've got to tell your parents first," she tells me and I want to groan. I knew she'd say that but for some reason, I didn't want to hear it.

"I know but I don't know. I just...Diego and I aren't even official yet, so what's there to tell them?" I ask. "That we're dating?" 

"What'd Diego say?" she asks.

"I didn't tell him yet," I say sheepishly.

"You didn't tell him? Hang up with me and call him now!" she insists, hanging up before I can even respond. I dial his number and wait for him to answer.

"Hey," he greets me.

"My brothers know," I blurt immediately and he goes silent for a minute.

"About us?" he asks.

"Yes," I respond.

"Do you think they'll tell?" he questions.

"I don't know," I answer. "I think Calum will eventually. He said that he thinks I should tell my parents and that he's not going to sit around and let me do things they wouldn't approve of."

"So should we tell your parents?" he asks.

"Are you crazy? My dad will kill me! And then he'll kill you!" I retort. "We just need time to...to think about ways we could potentially tell them."

"Do you think we have time?" he inquires and I huff quietly.

"I'm not sure. I just need to hint at it so my parents kind of see it coming," I reply. "I didn't expect it to happen so fast."

"Yeah, me either..." he trails. "But this is good, I guess. I mean, the more they know, the less we have to sneak around."

"My parents won't let me hang out with you," I retort. "My dad will have a heart attack. My mom might be okay but my dad will probably die."

"If it's any comfort, my dad likes you," he says quietly. I suddenly feel bad.

"My parents like you, Diego, you know that. They just don't like the idea of me dating...especially not a boy that drives a motorcycle," I explain.

"I know..." he trails and I sigh. I really need my parents not to hate him if they find out.

When dinner comes around, I push away from my overflowing desk and walk downstairs. I sit down and feel my brother's judgmental gaze on me as I help myself to some corn. My mother starts the conversation, honing in on my younger brothers about their grades. It's definitely not as strictly as she'd speak to me about mine but at least she's mentioning it to them. They answer her accordingly before she turns her attention to Calum. 

By the time the conversation works its way over to me, my father has joined in. "How's Diego?" he asks me and Ben starts snickering. I notice him cringe in pain and I see Nate shift his arm back to it's spot at his side.

"What's funny?" my mom asks curiously as she looks from me to Ben. I glance at Ben and shrug, trying my best to act out of loop.

"No idea what he's laughing at but," I shift the subject, "Diego's good."

"I bet," Calum mumbles quietly and my father looks at him.

"What?" my dad asks.

I decide to acknowledge the time I went without talking to Diego. "We kind of had an argument the other day but things are better now. So they're referring to that," I lie.

'What was the argument about?" my dad asks curiously.

I shake my head in an attempt to wave it off. "Nothing-it was stupid looking back on it," I reply. "We're good now though."

"That's good..." my mom trails with a repressed smirk. I want to roll my eyes at her but refrain.

"Guess what happened to Mike the other day?" Nate blurts, changing the subject. He glances at me and I exhale gratefully. I shoot Calum a sideways glare when my parents turn their attention to Nate.

+++

Diego and I lay low for the next few days. We decide that maybe we should just hang out in study hall rather than leave and go to his house. It works for the first four school days but by Friday, I'm itching to spend some time alone with him. I text my parents, asking them permission to hang out with Diana after school. I tell them I'm picking up a shift after work and that she'd drop me off and they agree. I exhale gratefully and leave the building on the back of Diego's bike.

We arrive to his house and I rush upstairs while he takes Diablo for a walk. I'm already snuggled up in his bed when he gets back. He joins me, laughing at the sight of me buried beneath his blankets and pillows. We lay there and talk for a while, mostly about how we plan on breaking the news to my parents.

"I'm scared of what they're going to do," I respond. They'll definitely try to make me break up with him. Then, to insure that I actually do it, they'll encourage that I quit my job at the bookstore to avoid seeing him anymore than I do at school. They probably won't let me hang out with Sage unless it's at my house. The same rule will go for Diana. I'm sure they'll talk to his father. Any trust they had for me will be completely thrown out the window. I groan in frustration and he grabs my waist and pulls me to his chest in an awkward laying down hug. 

My eyes widen as I am pressed against his shoulder. I pull myself back so that I'm gazing up at him. "We'll be fine," he replies and I nod. He leans down and lightly kisses my lips. I smile up at him widely before going in for a longer, deeper kiss. We go slow for a few minutes until I shift myself so that I'm on top of him. Things immediately intensify as he laughs devilishly and flips us so that I'm underneath him. 

We continue to make out and I tug at his shirt, smirking when he catches on. He shifts himself up and swiftly tugs it off. He attempts to lower himself but I stop him as I admire his chest with my hands. My fingers trace the scar along his collarbones before they slide down to his defined abdomen. I pull him lower to kiss me again, feeling his lips on my neck. I'm preparing to take my shirt off when his door bursts open.

"Why aren't you in school?" his dad's voice bellows. Diego jumps so high that he falls off the bed.  I yank the blankets up so they're covering my face in an attempt to mask my identity; I'm not sure how well it worked. His dad realizes what's going on and slams the door just as hard as he opened it. Diego gets up quickly, searching for his shirt in a nervous fret. I find it rolled into a ball at my feet beneath the covers.

"Do you think he noticed?" I ask as I sit up, handing him the piece of cloth.

"I don't know," he mumbles as he tugs it over his head. "I'll be back."

He slips outside and I hear muffled conversation. A few moments later, he returns and looks at me nervously. "Did he see me?" I hiss as he closes the door.

"I'm not sure. He just told me to bring you home," he responds and I put my face in my hands. I pull my hood on my head and tie the strings so tight that my face is barely visible. My eyes are barely peeking through the hole as we exit his room. I nearly fall down the steps, gripping the railing and Diego's arm for balance.

I hear the television and I don't risk looking over, feeling a gaze on me. "Hey, Orion," his father greets me from the couch.

"Hi, Mr. Ruiz," I say quietly as I turn to look at him. He furrows his eyebrows at my attempted disguise. I sigh in defeat and loosen my hoodie so it falls to my back. I should've expected him to recognize me. I mean, how many tall girls does Diego hang around with? Maybe if I was 5'4", I could've easily feigned dumb and rushed out of the house.

"It's unlike you to be skipping class," he notes. "My son on the other hand- not so much."

"Uh..." I trail, unsure of what to say.

"Do your parent's know you're here?" he inquires.

"No," I mumble.

"Do they know about whatever it is you two are?" he asks and I try to feign surprise. "I'm not stupid, Orion. I was a teenager once, believe it or not. I know what you guys were doing."

My face is bright red as my eyes focus on the dog lying on the couch beside him. "No..." I respond, kicking at my shoes.

"You do know who your dad is, right?" he inquires and I bow my head even lower.

"Dad..." Diego starts and his dad turns to him.

"I don't want to hear it Diego. Her parents were nice enough to let you stay in their house for a month and this is how you repay them?" Mr. Ruiz rants. As his voice speeds up, his language switches to Spanish and I'm immediately out of loop. I look between Diego and his dad, watching as Diego's face contorts to one of embarrassment as his father continues to yell.

Diego goes to respond but his father cuts him off quickly. "Now hurry up and go before I drop her off myself."

"Okay," Diego says and his father makes a noise, drawing Diego's attention back.

"In my car. I don't want her being driven around in that death trap," he insists and Diego grabs the keys to his father's car before leading the way outside.

"What was he saying?" I ask was we get into his dad's fancy car.

He shakes his head and lets out a low sigh. "He basically told me that I have no respect for him or your parents and that I need to start paying bills before I start bringing girls in this house," he explains. "Oh yeah, he also said that I'm ruining you."

"No you're not," I comment.

"Sometimes I can't help but feel like I am," he mumbles. 

"You're not," I tell him bluntly. "You're so much better than you think."

"As are you," he replies. "My father likes you. He thinks you're too good for me."

"That's not true," I insist and he sighs loudly.

"Yeah it is," he notes.

"Diego," I start and he shrugs.

"Look, let me just take you home," he mutters. "We can talk about this some other time."

I stare at him sadly but decide not to push. I sit back in defeat and let me drive him back home. In the meantime, I think of a lie to feed to my parents as to why I'm not at work. We slow to a stop in front of my house and he looks at me with a forced smile on his face. He leans over and kisses my cheek, waiting for me to get out of the car. I exit the vehicle, feeling uneasy. I want to ask him if he's okay but decide against it when I realize he has to get home to his father. Stupidly, I let him drive off back to his house in a sad state.

Soon enough my mom's beckoning me and my brothers downstairs for an early dinner. My dad got stuck working overnight so she figures there's no point in waiting until eight or nine to eat. We sit at the table and a topic immediately comes up and it definitely catches me off guard. "Do you know if Diego's seeing anyone?" my mom asks me bluntly.

I swallow my drink nervously. "N-No, why?" I reply.

"His dad told your father that he caught Diego in his room with some girl," my mom responds and my already red face heats up more. My brothers let loose with laughter and my mom furrows her eyebrows at them.

"That's gold," Nate comments and my mom looks at me.

"Yeah, well, Joe couldn't figure out who the girl was. He said she was short..." my mom trails and I suddenly feel grateful to Joe for lying. He's definitely sending a message though by telling my parents about it. He knew they'd ask me.

"Not a clue," I respond. "We don't really talk about that."

"Oh, okay, I was just wondering," my mom responds. "I'd hate to have him throwing away his education for some girl."

"Yeah, no, me too. I'll try to figure it out," I inform my mom with a slow nod. She smiles at me and I exhale quietly as my brothers quiet their laughter.

As the night progresses, I receive less and less texts from Diego. As opposed to our usual flowing conversation until I fall asleep, it ends abruptly at eight o'clock after extensive gaps between our messages. I stare at our chat in confusion. I didn't bring up the whole situation with his father for this exact reason. I reread my messages, wondering what I could've possibly said that made him retract like a turtle. I sigh in frustration as I lay down in my bed. So much has changed in the last two weeks and I have no idea what to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 32.1K 44
The Wattpad draft! Not the final version. I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Never had a one-night stand," "A one-night stand huh?" he smirked, "And what...
2.5M 84K 36
Tutoring the Bad Boy. ~~ He smirked. "Whoops! Look who has read 50 Shades of Grey. Trust me getting kinky is almost every guys dream. I knew you had...
421K 14.1K 44
Before you ask, no, I'm not some good girl that will let people walk all over me. I've been through some shit no girl(or anyone for that matter) shou...
87.9K 4.5K 57
Have you ever wondered what more you could be missing when you have everything? Well, Michelle Reynold who is 17, a senior, blond and beautiful, have...