Exchange

By gemmaparsons98

It was Rose's dream to get chosen for Exchange. She just never planned on it being Mason Tanner's. With an... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
EXCITING NEWS!

Chapter 5

42.3K 1.7K 961
By gemmaparsons98

'I want to punch him in the face." I muttered to Kate with my head down low, avoiding all eye contact.

"Just ignore them." She replied linking her arm through mine and shifting my shoulders upwards so that I was staring ahead instead of at the ground.

I woke up today with a newly found confidence, positive that from now on, things would be better. Mason would just be one out of another thousand human beings in my life and I would forget about yesterday and pretend as though it had never happened. It's pretty ironic actually, how one of the best and worst moments in my life were within five minutes of each other. Leave it to Mason to screw that one up for me.

Anyway, I woke up this morning prepared to leave the whole incident behind me. However, entering the school premises with Kate a few minutes ago showed me that forgetting about yesterday was going to be a lot easier said than done.

I hadn't even been here for ten minutes and people were already pointing and smirking and snickering behind my back. Actually I take that back. They were doing it right in front of my face, no shame whatsoever.

I was trying to keep my head down and avoid all of the amused stares but Kate was making the task difficult.

"Kate!" I muttered, trying to unlink my arm.

"Just be confident." She said softly, flicking her light locks past her shoulder. "You have nothing to hide."

"Yeah, because Mason made sure to publicly announce it to everyone." I grumbled.

"People are just bored and want something to gossip about." Kate stated, adjusting the strap on her shoulder. "Pretty soon it'll die down and something else will take its place. Like Sally Chalmer's implants for example."

I shot her a surprised glance, momentarily distracted. "She has implants? Who told you?"

Kate pursed her lips, staring forward. "No one but, I mean, come on, have you seen them? From normal to freaking beach balls in the space of three months? Nuh-uh, I don't think so."

My laugh was cut off by the warning bell for first class.

I sighed. "Great."

Kate gave me a sympathetic squeeze on the arm. "It'll be fine. They're just teenagers, not the Nazis."

My lips quirked up into a dry smile. "Thanks for the differentiation."

Kate threw me a quick grin. "Anytime."

~~~

Class wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I mean there were a few smirks, but once Mrs Harris started up on Cold War politics, all conversations came to a stop. Nobody was naive enough to talk in that woman's class.

At the end of class I was busy packing up my books when the intercom above our heads crackled to life and Mr Gates's low voice filled the room.

"Please may all students chosen for the Exchange program head directly to Mrs Pike's office. You have all been excused from second period. Please try to be prompt. Thank you."

I raised a curious eyebrow but didn't complain as I was getting out of Maths. I left the classroom quickly and headed for Mrs Pike's office- our school counsellor.

I had mixed emotions about the woman. I knew she had good intentions and was only ever trying to help but... she didn't understand us. 'Us' as in teenagers of the twenty-first century. Her advice was all too idealistic and not at all realistic.

I knew this first-hand from when I went to her with my troubles about Mason for the first, and last, time in freshman. I was young and sensitive back then and being totally naïve, assumed that going with my problems to the counsellor would sort everything out. I told her the whole story and watched as she nodded and leant forward in her chair. 

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you Rose."

That was all her remarkable advice consisted of. She then gave me a bright smile and I had no option but to leave the room.For obvious reasons, I never went back to her with my problems again. Now here I was, heading to her office four years later, and the situation with Mason hadn't evolved. The thought bothered me.

I walked up to her door, which was open, and stepped inside. Everything was still the same. Same wooden desk, same stupid inspirational posters, same ticking clock that was in the shape of a cat, everything was the same except that there were now six chairs seated in front of her desk instead of one.

Two were already being occupied by the girls chosen for the African exchange. I didn't know them really well but I knew that they were smart and could be pretty condescending in class. They were chattering away as I took a seat and didn't stop to acknowledge me, not that I particularly cared.

Bored, I looked around the room, wondering how Mrs Pike had come across some of these quotes. My eyes flickered over to the door and narrowed when I saw Mason and Eric Tate, the guy going on the Australian exchange with Abigail, sauntering in and both chuckling about something.

The boys both spotted me at the same time and despite myself, I flushed. If there was one comment or joke about yesterday, I would leave. However, Eric graced me with a friendly smile and sat down in the seat next to me.

"Hey Rose." He greeted politely and I raised my eyebrows in surprise. I had forgotten that Eric wasn't like most of the dimwits on the football team. Relief swept through me.

"Hey." I replied, smiling slightly.

He flicked a lock of hair over his forehead and cast me a glance. "So, any idea why we've been called in?"

I opened my mouth to reply but was cut short when Mason dropped down in the seat on my other side and said, "They're giving us these booklet things that we have to complete."

I bit my lip, wanting more than anything to move seats but also didn't want to give him the satisfaction. So instead, I sat still and kept my mouth shut.

"Booklets?" Eric questioned. "For what?"

Mason shrugged, his bright eyes drifting to the front of the class. "I don't know, but I'm sure it's going to be stuff like, 'What did you gain from Exchange?' or 'if you had to sum up your partner in one word, what would it be?'"

Asshole.

Eric's face scrunched up in distaste. "I hate that stuff. It's so..."

"Mrs Pike." I finished, unable to help myself.

Eric cast me a grin. "Yeah, exactly."

Just then Abigail entered the class room. Her eyes roamed for a seat and she smiled when she saw that the only one left was next to Mason. She plopped down in the seat and graced him with a flirty look.

"Hey." She murmured.

I watched Mason from the corner of my eye and saw his jaw tense just slightly. However he gave her a  smile back and then turned around again. I noticed that he'd angled his chair away from her, but only slightly.

Unable to help myself, I frowned. Was he already tired of her?

In that moment Mason's eyes flickered to mine and he took in my confused expression.

"Something wrong?" he questioned.

I shook my head and turned foreword again. "Nope."

"You sure?" he asked, leaning towards me and I shot him a bewildered look. Why the hell was he attempting to converse with me?

My mind clicked when I noticed Abigail desperately trying to get his attention. I rolled my eyes at him.

"You are such an idiot." I muttered, unable to help myself.

It was his turn to roll his eyes. "And what have I done now?"

I opened my mouth to reply, but then realised that it wasn't worth talking to him. I turned my head back around to face the front, wishing I could ignore his presence altogether. 

From my peripheral, I noticed Mason open his mouth to say something, but was stopped when Mrs Pike finally entered the classroom. I turned to her and watched as she click-clacked in her square heels towards her desk.

Everyone's conversation halted as we watched her stack a pile of papers, curious to know why we were there.

I took in her usual attire. She wore a bright pink top with an orange cardigan over. Her skirt was long and tie-dyed and stopped just before her beige heels. Complimenting her outfit, she wore long, colourful beaded necklaces that reached her stomach and her blondy-grey hair was pulled up and wrapped in a coral pink head scarf.

It looked as though a rainbow had thrown up on her, but hey, if it worked for her then who was I to judge?

Finally she looked up at us, her tortoise-shell glasses magnifying her eyes, and gave us a big smile.

"Well, I think a congratulations is in order." She said brightly, looking over all of us. "Well done to all of you, what wonderful achievements!"

 No one replied. Mason shifted in his seat and I was suddenly hit with the scent of his aftershave. I tried to ignore it.

"Now you are probably wondering why you've all been called to come and see me." She paused, probably expecting some show of agreement but everyone was silent. I kind of felt bad for her, but then I thought of 'sticks and stones' and decided I didn't feel that bad.

"It has come to our attention, 'our' being Mr Gates and myself, that when we put you all together with your partners, we hadn't thought about whether you... got along with that person or not."

Oh great. I sunk down into my seat as all eyes glanced towards me. Even Mason cast me a look and I could see that he was finding this all pretty amusing. I hadn't expected this.

"After a lot of discussing, we finally came up with a solution that might help you all get to know your partners a little better." I closed my eyes.

Shit. 

"Every year the students going on exchange get a booklet that they have to complete. These booklets contain various questions about exchange, preparation for exchange and your partner."

Mason flashed a triumphant grin.

"Normally we are happy for you to do them by yourselves but in order to form stronger relationships with your partners; we are going to make it compulsory that you do them together. There are specific questions in the booklets which have to be answered as a pair, thus ensuring for us that you are indeed working together."

Most people acted somewhat indifferently to the information however I had to bite back a groan. How could they possibly think that forcing us to work together would diminish the dislike we already had for one another?

Glancing up at Mason, I saw him flex his jaw in irritation and then shoot me a glare. 

My jaw dropped open. The nerve this guy had. 

"This is going to help you and your partner with getting to know one another better, I assure you." Mrs Pike continued. "It will provide an excellent opportunity to bond."

"And then we'll continue on to be the greatest of friends." Mason muttered sarcastically. I just rolled my eyes. Mrs Pike however beamed down at Mason.

"That's right. You should all listen to Mr Tanner over here." She said approvingly.

Eric snorted and Mason rolled his eyes. 

Eager to get out of the cramped classroom, I cleared my throat and said, "Are we finished Mrs Pike?"

She turned to me and looked down at me for a second before nodding her head.

"Yes. Yes you are all free to go. Please just grab a booklet on your way out."

Chairs scraped against the floor and the six of us started to head out, accepting the booklets that Mrs Pike handed out on our exiting.

Slipping the booklet into my bag, I slung it over my shoulder and then started making my way down the hallway. I silently brushed past Mason and Eric, without so much as a goodbye. 

I was already half way down the hallway when I heard my name being called from behind. I turned to see Mason striding towards me and I fought a sigh.

"What?" I demanded when he reached me.

He raised his eyebrows in humour. "Isn't someone in a good mood today?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "It's pretty hard to remain chirpy when everyone else's conversation is about me and how I'm-" I bit my lip and my cheeks flushed.

Masons eyes flickered to the ground for a second before returning to my mine again. "It was a joke, I-"

I choked on a bitter laugh. "Hilarious joke, Mason."

I turned away from him and carried on walking, my hands shaking with anger. However I only got so far when his fingers wrapped around my wrist and forced me to stop.

I spun around and yanked my hand away from him. "Don't  touch me." I spat.

Mason raised both his hands in a calming gesture and looked me in the eyes. "Relax. Look, I'm only here because we need to organise a time when we can work on this stupid booklet."

I opened my mouth in response but stopped when I realised that what he was saying was... pretty reasonable. I sighed and ran a hand down my face. "Okay fine. What about this afternoon?"

He shook his head. "Football practice."

"Well then what about today in free period?" I asked.

"Can't. I have AP chemistry."

I stared at him for a second. "You know what? How about you come up with a time and I'll just fit myself into your schedule."

I turned for the second time but before I could even take a step Mason was in front of me, blocking my way.

"You know I'm not going to give you some sort of disease right?" he asked snappily.

I opened my mouth but he cut me of.

"You know what, don't reply to that." He ran a hand through his golden hair and thought for a second.

"How about tomorrow after school, in the library?" he questioned, eyes searching mine.

I sighed. "The library's closed after school remember?"

His eyebrows drew together in puzzlement. "It is?"

"How could you not know that?"

He blinked at me. "Why the hell would I know that?"

I shook my head in frustration, raking a hand through my loose hair. "God, you are impossible."

Mason was quiet for a moment before his honey coloured eyes brightened and he snapped his fingers. "I know. We can do it at my house."

I stared at him in surprise before slowly shaking my head. "No... I- I don't think-"

I didn't have a real excuse but seriously? Mason's house? That would be beyond weird.

"Unless you have a better idea?" He challenged.

I opened and closed my mouth like a goldfish, before I finally succumbed.

"Fine." I sighed. "Your house then. At three?"

Mason nodded. "Okay. After school tomorrow meet me at my car-"

"I have my own car." I retorted indignantly.

He sighed. "Yeah I know, but it'll be easier if-"

I shook my head and took a step back. "No thanks. I've had first-hand experience with your driving skills and I'm not in the mood to get charged for man-slaughter."

Mason shot me a glare. "Ever think that was intentional?"

"Well then I sure as hell am not driving with you. Asshole."

I stalked past him with narrowed eyes, but in my anger I failed to watch where I was going and caught the toe of my shoe on Mason's foot, causing my body to stumble forward.

 I would have ended up on my knees if Mason hadn't quickly put out his hand and grabbed my upper arm.

My face flushed and I heard Mason's chuckle low and cool in my ear.

"Watch your steps, Pierce."

And then he was gone, and I was left standing stupid and alone and just slightly out of breath, in the hallway.

Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 445 33
He's arrogant, she's not. He's a player, she's never been one. He's a party animal, she's not. He don't believe in the one, that seems to be...
8.1K 783 38
One innocently cunning kiss gets the game going. Add some competition, a little stalking, and a dash of spice and you've got yourself a full-blown dr...
341K 4.5K 21
After winning half a million dollars in Vegas, Cole Baker decides that seeing the world with his best friend and his sister is a great idea. Jake is...
12.6K 384 29
Beautiful daddy's girl, Corrie moves from California to a small town outside of New York City. She thinks she met a fine bunch of new people at her n...