Chapter 15

Mason's P.O.V

I let out an exhale of air as the bell went, signaling the end of class. Chairs scraped backwards and voices immediately started up, interrupting the teacher's dismissal of us. I felt a little bad for her, as she was obviously passionate about her subject, however the students were simply disinterested about the Shakespearean tragedy.

"Dude, you coming?"

I turned my head up to see Nate standing over me, his arm stretched around his files.

Nodding, I pushed myself up from the desk, piling my books together.

"Yeah, sorry."

Nate and I walked out of the classroom, and as soon as we were in the hallway, he threw me a smirk.

"So, how did you find that?"

"The lesson?" I shrugged. "Fine. I mean, I don't mind English-"

"No, you idiot." Nate interrupted. "I'm talking about the dozen or so girls in there who were drooling over you like the Goddamn cure to cancer."

My lips quirked up at that. "Cure to cancer? That's complimentary."

Nate rolled his eyes, but threw me an amused smirk. "Seriously though, did you not notice?"

I had noticed. How could I have not? The beginning of class had begun with three forward girls perched on the end of my desk, asking me question after question, and giggling at my answers as though they'd been jokes.

Throughout the lesson too, I'd had a number of eyes on me, heard the term "exchange student" muttered every other minute, and was passed at least five pieces of scrap papers, each with a number and name scrawled on it.

That one had made me laugh. What did they expect me to do with them? Type in the numbers and give each stranger a call?

I pulled out the fistful of loose papers from my pocket, sending Nate a glance. "Yeah, I noticed."

Nate blew out a slow whistle before shaking his head in amusement. "God, that's crazy."

We turned a corner when I suddenly remembered that I had chemistry next, and had no idea where to go.

"Hey man, I need to go to the chemistry classroom-"

"It's right opposite me, I'll take you." He then threw me an inquiring look. "So, is it like this for you at your school back home?"

I let out a short laugh. "No ways, not like this."

"I doubt that." Nate stated dryly. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone.

I threw him an inquisitive look.

"Rose already informed me that you sit at the 'cool table' at school." He snorted, swiping through his phone.

"The cool table." He muttered again, amusement clear in his voice.

I frowned at his words. The cool table? And why was Rose talking to Nate about me anyway?

I opened my mouth to ask him what else she'd said, but was interrupted by the bell. Nate put his phone away, and looked up at me. "Your classroom is that one over there."

He then gave me a pat on the shoulder before heading to the opposite classroom. "Later man."

"Later." I muttered, still thinking about what Nate had just said. I entered the classroom alone, my mind preoccupied, before a male voice shouted my name.