The Blood Legacy (The Lost He...

Por AllisonWhitmore

The Blood Legacy begins a new adventure for Isabella, Seth and the gang when a nosy author moves into the hot... Más

The Blood Legacy
The Foxworthy Hotel
Dinner Date
Training Day
A Little Magic
A Little Help, Please?
Voices
The Time Witch
Away We Go
Crossing Guard
Hey, Seth, It's the 50's!
Trust No One
Fairy Tales Can Come True
Jack and Beatrice
Dodge's Diverting Delectables
Worst Day Ever
Morphling Village
The Landry Brothers
The Blood Legacy Law
Schism
Colin
The Forest of Violet
The Night Trial
Joseph Gaut
Bonded

A Special Guest

833 83 2
Por AllisonWhitmore

The sound of clicking filled Isabella's ears as she entered the gymnasium at the base of the hotel. It had been seven months since Jack disappeared, and in those months Colin's training of Isabella and her cohort had become a regularity in the wide windowless oblong room set up with a training mat at its center. He gave each of the young empath the option of working alone or with a partner. At first, Isabella practiced with Seth, but she'd asked to begin private lessons two month ago. Seth acted as if he understood and didn't make a fuss, but she knew he'd been hurt by it or at least, whatever pull he had to protect her as his diadem made him feel hurt by it. She couldn't stand the thought of him wanting to protect her because of some destined thing. She tried to ignore her doubts, but that was the thing about doubts. The more you tried to forget them, the more they grew and festered and took over your mind.

The sound of feet shuffling across the mats screeched as she walked down the hallway that led to the gym. Colin was early. She'd asked him to switch her workout time to the morning so she wouldn't have to see Seth. Her eyes grew wide when she saw who was on the mats. What was he doing there? She wanted to turn and leave but she couldn't.

Her eyes pinned to Seth's muscular form as he flipped and kicked through several graceful capoeira moves he'd brought to the table with the shadow boxing techniques Colin taught. Both Seth and Isabella preferred the graceful dance of capoeira for the most part, so about a month ago, Isabella had suggested they train with her old teacher. Colin had shot that idea down, stating that their training had to be precise, secret, and incorporate their powers. Isabella and Seth conspired to meet with her old coach together a couple of times, but then, after a very long makeout session in the back of the taxi that was taking them home from their lesson, Isabella voiced the thoughts that had been plaguing her since she'd read about guardians and their diadems in Joseph Gaut's book.

"Is this really a thing or are you just into me because of something neither of us can control?" she'd blurted out to Seth that day. The look on his face mirrored the quick sting she felt from him before he'd thrown up the wall he was so good at using to block her from feeling his emotions. They may have been connected, but Seth had control of himself naturally in a way that was nearly polar to her. She was still trying to bind herself together, but it was hard.

"What do you mean by that?" he'd asked.

"I just think, you know like you said on my birthday, before our first kiss," she looked away and blushed. "We're drawn together for different reasons than a normal couple."

Seth laughed. "Is that what we are now?"

"What?" She frowned and looked at him again. Why had he laughed?

"A couple?" he looked at her, eyes hard.

She felt incredibly stupid after he'd spoken those words. "I never said that," she said, moving away from him, eyes pinned to the buildings flashing beside her as they entered the boundaries of Culver City. Five minutes later, they'd be in Culver Hills, winding up the road to the Foxworthy.

"I think that book is off. I just don't think this has to do with any of that."

"That's not what you said before."

"I was wrong," he said softly.

She let a minute or so pass without responding. Her mind twisting and jumbling, not sure of what to think at all. "How do you know that?"

"I just do," he said.

They arrived back at the hotel. He knew, but she didn't. She had to focus on whomever she was supposed to be—this diadem child. Being with Seth confused the rules.

So, Isabella walked out of the car, and decided to stay away from him from that minute on.

Seth wasn't going to listen to her about it or try to figure out if what she was saying had merit. He was just going to push it away and pretend it did not exist. She wished she had that skill. Her eyes drank in the sight of him moving around the gym. He was strong and powerful where she was fast and adept. She knew how to out-think her opponents.

"What are you doing here so early?" she asked him.

"What's it look like?" he said, continuing his fast strokes and twists.

She loved the way his muscles flex and moved as he artfully took the training her brother had given him to his own heights and depths. When he paused, chest heaving and looked at her, she finally said, "Listen, I'm sorry I've been avoiding you."

"Don't worry about it," he said, lips thin.

"I'm not trying to be mean, I just think it's for the best."

"Fine."

Seth went back to working out then he stopped and threw up a shield. It was a nearly transparent barrier that would have covered about three people in combat. Seth's goal was to be able to cover the entire cohort at once but not just in one position but from anywhere they were standing within a reasonable distance. He also wanted to strengthen his fighting ability. Isabella's goal wasn't much different, but it was more about control. She felt her emotions had been so wild for so long that learning how to balance them would be best. Her focus was to learn to concentrate the feelings she picked up from others into her own power and strength.

"Want to go a round?" she heard herself asking, not really sure why she'd said it. Seth did not like sparring with her. "Looks like Colin's running late."

"I was just leaving," Seth said curtly.

"Come on," she said, watching his straight back. He wouldn't look at her. "It'll be fun."

Seth stared at her, his hazel eyes turning her insides turn to goo. She'd been avoiding him for what reason, again? "I can't," he said finally. He held her gaze a while longer. "Izzy, I want us to be together, but if you don't want that, I'm not gonna beg any more. All right?"

Isabella nodded, her heart hot with sadness. He picked up his workout bag and brushed past her as Colin appeared in the room.

"You okay, kid?" asked the tall, copper-skinned man.

"Never better," Seth said and then he was gone.

"For what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing, Isabella," said her half-brother, putting his own gear down before moving into the workout space where Isabella stood.

"Am I?" she asked, still watching the vacant spot Seth had just left.

"Guardians and their diadems should not enter into romance," Colin said, startling Isabella with the boom of his voice. "It's not safe. It's better to keep your focus."

"Why isn't it safe?" she asked him as he came to the center of the workout space and began his stretches. Isabella followed suit.

"It just isn't."

"The book says that we're bonded, but I don't want to be with someone who's just bonded to me for a reason like that."

"The plane of love is different than the cohort plane. It's a different level of consciousness."

"Yeah, but how do I know if his feelings are on that plane or on the cohort level?" she asked as they faced each other, ready for their first round of sparring as student and master.

Colin looked uncomfortable. "I'm not a romance expert, kiddo. Let's get to work," he said.

A quick right punch, then jab to the left, twist to the right, than duck and kick. Colin blocked and turned out every one of Isabella's moves. She was sweating. Of course, Colin had not perspired a bit though he executed each move with precision and pure focus. As Isabella stared down her opponent, a sense of energy swept through her that she knew was not hers. It was anger, jealousy, and it consumed Colin. It practically radiated off him she felt it so strongly. Isabella tried not to concentrate on it. But it drummed on and grew stronger by the second. Distracted, she noticed Colin's punch too late and crumpled to the floor. He went to her and dropped his hand on her shoulder. She found his harsh emotions replaced with concern, love, and reassurance.

"You need to learn how not to absorb negative emotions while in a fight. You'll need to concentrate on not only your emotions, but on the emotions and motives of those trying to kill you." Colin, eyes stern, gave her shoulder a squeeze.

"Wow. You are so smart, Colin." Isabella painted on a smile.

"You kids think you invented sarcasm." Colin shook his head but she saw a small smirk. He extended his hand for Isabella to take. She smiled gratefully as she accepted it and came to her feet. They walked over to their water bottles.

"So, how far have you gotten with Neeta?" Isabella gave him a side long look just as Colin took a swig from his water bottle.

Colin choked on the water and coughed, struggling to clear his throat. "That is none of your business."

At this, Isabella laughed for the first time that day.

***

After the bustle of the morning preparations died down, the staff gathered outside of the hotel for the grand opening at 1 o'clock. Isabella felt the anxiety, excitement, and relief evident with the staff, who stood all in neat rows and fully dressed in their uniforms. Hopefully with the new excitement and buzz around the hotel, things would get better. She hoped Nano would get home soon. Her delay was slightly concerning. Isabella stopped to look around her when she felt a light tap on her shoulder. She turned and was faced with the warm smile of an older gentleman. Isabella tensed. It was her Uncle Robert. He was holding a cane in one hand and stood tall and dignified. He looked better than before, but still Isabella hesitated to open her arms to him as she did the last time she saw him walking around.

"You look well, Isabella."

Isabella tried to clock his emotions, but they were distant. She did feel a slight warmth, however, and though she had her guard up around him like she would not have even thought to do in the past, she knew that this was really him. After her battle with the man who killed her parents, Jack Heel, Theophilus and her grandmother explained to her that the Uncle Robert she knew and loved had at some instances been Jack. During the past few weeks near Christmas when her grandmother and nearly every adult she trusted disappeared, the real Uncle Robert had been locked away in the basement of his own home on the other side of town by his brother, Jack. Jack had then taken on the form of her trusted family friend to get to Isabella. Upon discovery by his daughter, Robert was rushed to the hospital. Isabella tensed at the memory but a wave of protection and concern swept through her body. She saw Seth standing close to her to the right and next to him being Micah, Xander and Cleo to her left. Isabella's smile tugged upwards. Her cohort had come as soon as she felt a slight panic.

"I see you are with your friends. I will talk to you later." Her Uncle Robert gave her a curt nod, acknowledged Seth and Micah, who waved back, and left.

Elyse stepped up onto the small stage set up in the center of the lobby and went to stand behind a podium and microphone. "Welcome, everyone. On behalf of Catherine Bayer and the Foxworthy family, I'd like to introduce Ms. Serena Silver." Elyse waved her hand as Serena, a thin woman with frizzy red curls, left her place next to Rolf, the concierge. She took Elyse's spot in front of the podium.

"Hello, everyone. Thank you for having me here today." The crowd clapped and whooped. She blinked bashfully, but quickly recovered and continued in a loud and sure voice. "To be a part of the reopening of what many consider one of the most legendary locations in Hollywood is a true honor. I have been intrigued by the Foxworthy family since I was a small child," she said her strong voice taking a sense of awe and appreciative wonder. "If any of you are familiar with my articles and blog posts on the family, you know that I have not kept that a secret," she said. "You also may know that I have yet to publish a book surrounding the family. Something that has been an aspiration of mine for years. The blood bonds between the Foxworthy's is the stuff of legends. And so today, I would like to announce my intentions to do so with of course the permission of Isabella and her grandmother, the lovely Catherine Bayer Foxworthy. I'm only sorry Catherine isn't here today, but I would love to invite the young Miss Foxworthy to dinner tonight. You're welcome to bring a guest! I know you teenagers like to travel in packs." The audience laughed. Isabella turned red. "I am also signing the most recent copy of my mystery series today in the Velvet Ballroom for any fans. Thank you. I look forward to seeing what the new Foxworthy will bring to our city. Congratulations, everyone."

While all eyes were still on her, Serena made her way over to the spot where Isabella stood. "So, what do you say?"

Isabella looked around at everyone looking at her. What could she say? She knew her grandmother wouldn't have liked it, but she also would have disliked Isabella embarrassing the Foxworthy family in public. She felt a hoard of cameras on her and could sense the fact that she was being recorded from every direction. "Would seven be all right?" Isabella said with a painfully bright smile.

"That would be fabulous," said Serena. "It will give me plenty of time to freshen up after the signing."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

264K 15K 35
Offering Trilogy, Book 2 #Wattys2016 After a century's absence, the vampire that turned Madison has returned to claim her as his bride. An unfortuna...
359 89 25
*THIS NOVEL IS A SEQUEL TO WILD CARD/CROSS SUIT/POKER FACE/CARTE BLANCHE & CANNOT BE READ AS A STANDALONE* "It is a known legend: that of the Death M...
239K 22.2K 102
Three sisters, three callings. Morna, forced to fight the siren call of water at every breath. Adair, born with the mysterious powers of her Nother...
45.2K 776 6
When a man finds a xenomorph hurt and unconscious and takes care of it, the two form the best bond man has ever seen.