Crossing Guard

As the portal drew them in further, the area around them darkened. Instead of finding themselves in the past, they now seemed to be floating along on their feet. Seth reached for her hand again. "I feel like we're in some weird kinda sci-fi novel."

They suddenly passed through a thick cool ripple of air, then –

"Ow!" Isabella shouted as what felt like an invisible hand punched her in the gut.

"What the—" Seth doubled over.

Thankfully, the sensation dissolved soon after it surfaced. It seemed there was more to time traveling than just taking a portal to your chosen destination. A detail both wished the time witch had told them. But then again maybe the rules didn't allow her to say that either.

"You okay?" Seth asked her, worry etched in his brow.

"Yeah. You?"

He nodded as their feet planted on a more solid surface. "Sweet. That's much better," Seth quipped as they found themselves walking down a hall. Candles lined the walls but did not appear to be fastened to them. Paintings of people throughout time appeared in the same fashion.

"This is weird."

"Yeah. All the paintings look like they're in the hotel."

"That's true," said Isabella. She'd been too focused on the fact that they weren't stuck to the wall. But Seth was right. The pictures behind them had been of a time before The Foxworthy existed, but as they stepped further down the hall, they seemed to depict familiar locations – the Violet Ballroom, the theater, and of course, the grand lobby. Movie premieres, smiling and laughing faces, from the 1920s, 30s, 40s, filled the canvases. She recognized Renee, Sinclair, Beatrice, and her grandfather Mitchell, the latter growing from children to young adults.

"This kind of reminds of Alice in Wonderland," said Seth. "I hope we don't have to jump over some weird egg-sized men in propeller beanies to get to where we need to be."

"I hope not."

Seth scowled as he looked around, sticking close to her side. "I don't like this place. We need to get to where we're supposed to be. I'm not sure how well I can protect you in this weird dimension. What if a crazy wizard jumps out?"

"A crazy wizard, Seth? Someone's been watching too many fantasy movies...aahh!"

A growl rippled through Isabella's ears when out of nowhere, a tall thin creature covered in what looked like purple spikes and holding an ever-shifting lance appeared in front of them. Eyes like burning fireplaces glared into Isabella's terrified ones. Whatever this creature was, she could tell he was not happy they were there. Its emotions seemed cold and structured but those eyes...the eyes were angry.

Seth pulled her back and formed a shield. Isabella felt his guardian instincts overwhelm her.

"Don't look at him directly," Isabella warned in a hot whisper, hoping only Seth heard. "We were sent by a time witch and ended up here. What is this place?"

"You are not welcome here, empaths. I would advise you to go back. The Necromancer guard does not tolerate intruders and interlopers," the creature spoke, and it sounded like many voices booming as one. "Look into my eyes, empath children, and face the truth of your folly."

"No way," Seth refused, "we are not leaving until we go back in time. I don't know what you are but we were sent by the time witch. Just like Serena Silver. We know you let her through."

The creature laughed as the corridor they'd been in changed into a large room with black walls.. Isabella froze, her body filling up with what felt like icy liquid "Seth," she croaked out. Seth's shield remained and but the creature seemed to be able to penetrate her senses regardless.