Emily's House: Book 1 of the...

By NatalieWright_

Fourteen-year-old Emily Adams is flunking math - and life. But Emily has a secret, one that she has kept even... More

Introduction & Prologue
Chapter 1: A Run-In with Muriel the Mean
Chapter 2: Emily's Visitor
Chapter 3: Saorla
Chapter 4: The Wedding
Chapter 5: Cathaír's Bad News
Chapter 6: Sorcha
Chapter 7: The Order of Brighid
Chapter 8: The Dark One Comes
Chapter 9: March to the Sacred Grove
Chapter 10: Lianhan Sídhe
Chapter 11: Battle for the Sacred Grove
Chapter 12: Saorla at the Well
Chapter 13: The End of the Order of Brighid
Chapter 14: Search for the Torc
Chapter 15: Puzzles
Chapter 16: Escape from Muriel
PART TWO: Training of the Modern-Day Priestess
Chapter 17: To Fair Tara
Chapter 18: The Inn
Chapter 19: Things That Go Bump in the Night
Chapter 20: Monasterboice
Chapter 21: On the Run
Chapter 22: Zombie Man Wakes Up
Chapter 23: Liam Searches for Clues
Chapter 24: Emily's Search for the Sacred Well
Chapter 25: Emily and the Netherworld
Chapter 26: And Liam Makes Three Again
Chapter 27: Emily's First Master
Chapter 28: Madame Wong
Chapter 29: Breathe
Chapter 30: Riding the Waves
Chapter 31: Why I Hate Bamboo
Chapter 32: Slicing and Dicing
Chapter 33: The Sword of the Order
Chapter 34: The Three Little Ninjas
Chapter 35: The Killing Time
Chapter 36: The Darkest Woods
Chapter 37: Akasha
PART THREE: The Rise of Dughall
Chapter 38: Umbra Nihili
Chapter 39: Macha's Promise
Chapter 40: Dughall Wakes
Chapter 41: The Face in the Bucket
Chapter 42: The Machine
Chapter 43: Dughall's Story
Chapter 44: A Promise
Chapter 45: Dughall's Revenge
Chapter 47: A Present for Miss Emily
Chapter 48: Emily's Second Master
Chapter 49: The Dughall Enigma
Chapter 50: Put Your Boat In
Chapter 51: The Slippery Slopes of Time
Chapter 52: Dughall at the LHC
Chapter 53: Liam, Fanny and Jack Receive Hospitality, CERN Style
Chapter 54: Dughall at CERN
Chapter 55: Stuck Inside a Tin Can
Chapter 56: Dughall's Plan in Action
Chapter 57: Escape from the Can
Chapter 58: Dughall and the Portal
Chapter 59: Dughall's Deepest Desire
Chapter 60: Afternoon at the Horror Movies
Chapter 61: Emily Meets a Black Hole
Chapter 62: Click Your Heels Three Times
Pronunciation Guide

Chapter 46: Piecing it Together in Dublin

21.3K 231 20
By NatalieWright_

Chapter 46: Piecing it Together in Dublin

As Liam drifted to sleep on the small bed, he hoped that he'd wake from his nap to find myself back in the States, the whole thing just a crazy nightmare. Instead, he woke to find Fanny flopped on her stomach on the other bed, maps spread out in front of her. It looked to Liam like she was trying to look busy rather than actually doing anything.

On the other hand, Jake was the picture of concentration, intently reading a webpage on his laptop. His hair was more tousled than usual, his eyes rimmed in red and bloodshot from hours of looking at a computer screen.

Liam stretched his arms above his head and breathed deeply. He wasn't in a dream after all. His daughter's life depended on his belief in their outrageous story.

"Jake, you found anything interesting?" he asked.

It took Jake a minute to register a voice from the outside world. He slowly turned and ran his hands through his shock of now jet-black hair, pausing as if to collect himself.

"Well, I don't know if I'm getting anywhere with this, but I have an idea. It's a bit off the wall."

"Off the wall? More off the wall than our best friend disappearing into another dimension?" asked Fanny.

"Okay, well maybe not that off the wall. Okay, check it. Dughall's supposed to want to get to the Netherworld, right?"

"Yeah, that's what Hindergog said."

"Sure but what's he after? I mean, why does he want to go there?"

"That's the mystery, isn't it nub?"

"Don't be short with him Fanny."

"Yeah, work with me on this. What I'm saying is we have to know what this guy is after. What does he think he can find in the Netherworld?"

"I don't know. Hindergog didn't say anything about what the psychopath wanted."

"But the story he told had clues."

"What kind of clues? What do you think he's after, Jake?" Liam asked.

"Well he was power hungry, that much we know. And he clearly didn't care who got hurt in his quest for power, so we know he's dangerous."

"Yeah, but Jake, we don't know what's in the Netherworld really. We may have to wait for Emily to come back to answer that," Fanny said.

"That's what I was thinking too, but then I started to think about what Dughall might think he'll find there. You know it doesn't matter what he'll actually find there, only what he thinks he'll find."

"Okay, that's riveting, but we don't know that either."

"I think we do have some clues about that. Dughall heard the story of the well from that guy that he killed – what was his name?"

"Cormac," offered Fanny.

"Yeah, Cormac. Anyway, according to Hindergog, Cormac told Dughall all about the Sacred Well and the portal and the torc. And then there was the pixie ... "

"Macha?"

"Yeah, Macha. Sounds like she knew a lot. She probably told him things too. He probably knew a lot about the Netherworld, or at least what people thought was on the other side of that Well."

"That's some good deduction, but I'm not following what you think that tells us about why Dughall wants to enter the portal," Liam said.

"Yeah, or how you think he's going to do it. He doesn't have the torc you know. Hey, you know, come to think of it, if he doesn't have the torc, he can't get through the portal, so what are we worrying about?"

"Ah, you see, that's just the question I had. We know he wants to go to the Netherworld and badly. And if Hindergog and those in his world are so worried, they must know something we don't and that must mean there's another way in."

"Right, some other portal," said Fanny.

"Or, a way to create a portal," Liam said.

"Exactly Mr. Adams! That's what I'm thinking. And here's the biggest clue that Hindergog gave us. He mentioned a large machine being built by humans."

"We build a lot of big machines," said Fanny.

"Yeah, but not many of them have any capability of opening a portal to another dimension. There may, in fact, be only one ... "

"The super collider!" Liam shouted.

"That's right. The Large Hadron Collider at CERN."

Jake and Liam locked eyes for a moment while the truth of what they'd said passed between them. The butterflies in Liam's stomach and the chills up his spine told him that they were onto something.

"Okay, would one of you like to let me know what we're talking about?" screeched Fanny.

"Mr. Adams, you do the honors?"

"Sure, Jake. Well Fanny you may have heard of atom smashers before."

"Nope. Doesn't ring a bell."

"Oh, okay. How to explain this? Well scientists – physicists mainly – build these giant machines called colliders or atom smashers so that they can do experiments on the nature and structure of matter."

"Still not following."

"They smash atoms together Fanny to see what happens," said Jake.

"All right, you don't have to get all testy with me."

"You should pay more attention in science class."

"You should stop being such a nerd."

"Okay, stop fighting you two. Fanny, atoms are extremely tiny, but they contain a lot of potential energy. Our understanding of atoms is what enabled us to build atomic bombs."

"Oh, those kind of atoms."

"Well, everything is made of atoms and atoms are made of smaller bits of stuff. Particles. And when you collide these particles you get massive amounts of energy and observe what comes out of the collision. That's what scientists are doing at the LHC. They want to see what is produced by the collision of particles at near the speed of light."

"But if they do that, won't it make an explosion like a bomb?"

"No, they aren't colliding whole atoms, only subatomic particles. There won't be bomb-size explosions, but when they smash the particles the mini explosions produce even smaller bits of matter. And that's what they're studying, those mini bit particles."

"I sorta get what this collider thing is doing, but what does this have to do with Dughall?"

"Well, if Jake's theory is right, and I'm betting it is, Dughall may be trying to use the LHC to create his own portal."

"Not following," said Fanny. "I thought this thing was smashing particles. They plan to open up a doorway to another dimension with this machine?"

"Well no, that's not in the plan. I don't think anyone is even theorizing about that," Liam said.

"It's a long shot, but it's all we've got. Fanny, remember the static electricity we felt at the portal?"

"Yeah. It was like we'd been rubbed with a giant balloon."

"And remember the silvery mist we saw?"

"Jake, I'm not a science geek like you. Just spill it already."

"Okay, here's what I'm thinking. The static electricity and the silver mist are both related to mega amounts of electromagnetism."

"Yes," Liam said. "That's right. And where is there more concentrated electromagnetism than anywhere else in the world?"

"The LHC," offered Jake.

"What do magnets have to do with the colliding thingy?"

"It's complicated Fanny, but essentially the collider uses immense magnets, five stories high, to accelerate the particles through a massive circular tube twenty-seven kilometers around. The magnets both accelerate and bend the particles around the huge circle to get them to great speeds before they collide."

"Yeah, so the most powerful superconducting magnets ever built are at the LHC."

"And so you think Dughall will use these magnets ... "

"To open a portal," said Jake.

"But how?" asked Fanny.

"That I don't know. Do you have any ideas, Mr. Adams?"

"Well, first of all, I don't see how he'd get anywhere near the LHC. I mean this is a huge compound with hundreds, if not thousands, of people around all the time. And the collider itself is a mile underground. And it's not like you just flip a switch and turn the magnets on or off."

"Yeah, I was reading about it," said Jake. "It takes weeks to cool it down enough to operate at full power."

"Exactly. It has to be super cooled to -271° Celsius to be operational. And there's a whole command center with many people and oversight. I just don't see the possibility of Dughall being able to use the LHC in any way."

"We may not see how he'd do it, but we can bet he'll try to find a way," said Fanny. "Mr. Adams, you weren't there to hear Hindergog, but from his story, one thing's for sure. This Dughall guy is pure evil and he's smart. If there's a way, he'll find it."

"I agree with Fanny," said Jake. "We have to assume he'll find a way."

"So we don't actually need to know how he's going to do it. All we need to do is make sure he doesn't get anywhere near the LHC," said Fanny.

"You're right Fanny. You know what that means?" Liam asked.

"Road trip," said Jake.

"Exactly. You guys up for another road trip?"

"As long as we're not walking," said Fanny.

Jake was already packing his laptop.

Liam knew they had to go to CERN, but it meant leaving Emily – or at least the place where she was last seen. He felt doubt about whether he was doing the right thing, but he knew he had to do something. Sitting around a small hotel room with Fanny and Jake wouldn't bring Emily back.

By late afternoon, they were on a plane to France where they would get a train to the small town on the Swiss/French border that was the headquarters of CERN.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

436K 28.6K 39
Highest rating: #19 in fantasy! Edlyn has never fit in. With her unusual white hair and silver eyes, she sticks out from her village of brown. To mak...
300K 29K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...
44.6K 5.7K 85
BLOOD IS POWER. The Blood-Bound Sovereigns, Matei and Mhera, have been leading the Penruan Empire as best as they can since the Arcborn Rebellion sha...
1.8K 285 40
Now updating twice a week (Sundays and Wednesdays) The Second compilation of the Sword Keeper Omnibus. Over a century has passed since the marriage o...