Trying Not To Love (COMPLETED)

By Books_and_nerds

I stepped forward and asked, "Where do you want me?" It took me a second to realize what I just said. Shit! I... More

Introduction ✅
Disclaimer ✅
Characters ✅
Chapter 1 ✅
Chapter 2 ✅
Chapter 3 ✅
Chapter 4 ✅
Chapter 6 ✅
Chapter 7 ✅
Chapter 8 ✅
Chapter 9 ✅
Chapter 10 ✅
Chapter 11 ✅
Chapter 12 ✅
Chapter 13 ✅
Chapter 14 ✅
Chapter 15 ✅
Chapter 16 ✅
Chapter 17 ✅
Chapter 18 ✅
Chapter 19 ✅
Chapter 20 ✅
Chapter 21 ✅
Chapter 22 ✅
Chapter 23 ✅
Chapter 24 ✅
Chapter 25 ✅
Chapter 26 ✅
Chapter 27 ✅
Chapter 28 ✅
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 5 ✅

224 36 19
By Books_and_nerds

Chapter Five: Freaking fantastic

Cassandra

The blinding sunlight peeked into my room caressing my skin and my entire body shivered in the pleasure of getting sleep in such a warm and cozy bed.

The birds chirped in the balcony of my room and trust me it was the most amazing sound I'd ever woken up to. The house back in Charleston was like a matchbox in front of this. No sunlight used to enter my room-- which I used to share with Tabby. All I ever heard day and night was honking of cars and yelling of my neighbors. But, this was amazing. This was peaceful.

The feeling was euphoric and I instantly felt awful because maybe-- just maybe-- I wanted to get used to this.

I climbed off the bed and padded towards the french doors, which I had slid open at the night for fresh air. It was warm and cold at the same time. Maybe more towards cold because a shiver ran down my spine and I wiggled my toe fingers. I was barefoot, feeling the cold marble floor underneath my feet.

A smile reached my lips, as I stretched my relaxed muscles. I'd slept like a baby. The best sleep ever.

Leaning against the railing, I glanced down at the small shed and then further into the woods. The sun touched at the top of the tall trees, rays bouncing off in a scattered manner, making my breath hitch, and presenting a mesmerizing view one which I knew my mom would have loved to paint in a heartbeat.

I couldn't draw or paint like her but I could capture it my way. I rushed inside to my bed and grabbed my phone to click a couple of shots from different angles. Satisfied, I breathed in some fresh air and then grabbed my luggage from under the bed and pulled it up, quickly zipping it open.

It was 10:30-- not too early and not too late for Saturday morning. But, I missed getting up early for runs.

I missed running.

Maybe I could start it again from Monday or something. Maybe.

I started to neatly organize my closet, it was a small walk-in one and I was mortified to realize that not even one shelf was completely filled with my clothes.

I picked a blue t-shirt with Superman print on the front and grinned at it. I loved it the moment I spotted it in Target. I had to buy it. It was loose like I liked-- not figure-hugging but a cropped version like if I had to raise my arms up it would ride up revealing my bellybutton.

And I didn't like it-- the bellybutton. But, I kept it because it was the reminder of the phase I had gone through. A phase I would never like to get back to.

Shutting my mind off, I grabbed my black sweat pants and undergarments, walking into the lavish bathroom which was attached to my room-- probably like every other room in this mansion. I took the longest shower of my life and lathered my hair with expensive-looking, fancy brand hair products. They smelled so good.

Once I was done drying myself and my hair, I scrambled into my clothes and walked out of the room. I shut my door just as another door-- only couple of steps ahead of me-- opened and shut.

I stopped, my brows knitting in confusion. I didn't know this room was occupied.

And then I had to make the mistake of turning back. I wish I hadn't. I so so wish I hadn't.

I swallowed the rock which formed in the back of my throat, making my mouth dry. It was the same brunette who I saw last night with my brother when I mistakenly walked in his room, and later in Easton's arms curled up.

I didn't know what to think of all this so I just stayed glued to my spot.

She zombie walked towards me with her eyes partially closed.

Her eyes-- they were a beautiful mixture of brown and grey-- glanced at my feet and then followed the trail up until they met mine. Her eyes widened maybe with the realization of last night events, and it felt like I had splashed a bucket of ice water over her head.

I could see her goosebumps even from where I stood.

Even though it was none of my business, I definitely noticed that she was in her last night's clothes, her eyes were red, and her hair was one hell of a tangled mess.

Something warm tugged at me because when the last time I saw her, she looked like a beautiful princess but not so much right now.

What was I doing? Leave, Cass! This isn't your business.

I sighed and glanced away. I turned around to rush downstairs, I didn't want to get in the middle of anything where my brother was concerned. I'd enough share of girls hating me and blacklisting me over him.

Even though there was something different about her, I couldn't risk talking to her.

But her small voice halted me in my steps. "Stop, please."

I turned back around and saw her fidgeting with her hands, nibbling on her lip. I knew that look well enough. But, I could swear I never looked adorable doing it. She clearly looked nervous-- which almost made me laugh. Well, she didn't have to feel that way at all. I wasn't going to call her out on anything.

Her groggy voice echoed in the empty hallway, "I-uh... I was drunk last night and--"

I sighed, cutting her off. I knew where it was going and she looked really pale as if she was going to throw up or something. So, I saved her the journey to the bathroom. "It's okay. I'm not one of those who go around telling people each other's things, you know. I don't gossip. My lips are sealed. I promise." Even though I wasn't sure why I had to keep my mouth shut. But, what was she doing here? Did she live here?

A small smile appeared on her lips, as her entire demeanor relaxed.

"Thank you. I would've even begged you."

I nodded, smiling. I didn't know what to stay. I didn't have many people talking to me so I never knew what I was supposed to say next. But, it was really hard to miss that she seemed like the kind of girl Alden would never mess with. She appeared to be serious type for his taste. Why did he mess with her then?

"I'm Jeanette." The brunette stepped closer and extended her hand. I placed mine, introducing myself. "Cassandra."

"Nice name." We let go of each other's hands.

"Thanks." I knew she genuinely meant it because a small crinkle appeared on side of her eyes when she smiled ear to ear at me.

"So is yours." She grinned wider if that was even possible without creeping into weird category.

A heavy silence fell between us so I asked, "I was going down to get something to eat--" And before I could even finish speaking, her stomach growled loud enough for me to hear.

She laughed, bobbing her head up and down at my unasked question. I wanted to ask her if she lived here. Was that her room? Who was she to Easton? But, I clamped my mouth shut. It was none of my business and, by the way he'd looked at me and Alden yesterday, I could tell he didn't want us here. At all.

'It wasn't a choice, Easton.'

We walked downstairs and followed the loud groaning/growling and shutting of cabinets in the kitchen. Was that Alden? What would he do if he saw Jeanette with me? He had never made friends with girls who he hooked up with before but...

It was definitely going to be as awkward as I pictured in my head, maybe even more.

We walked into the kitchen and not Alden or Easton turned around at our arrival. A scowl disappeared and a grin popped out of nowhere.

I bit my lip, eyes widened. He was tall, but not taller than Easton. He ran a hand through his hair which I realized were shoulder length and dark as coal. His hair matched my eyes-- and somehow that created a fuzzy feeling in my stomach.

I was just hungry was all. I kept telling myself.

His dark green eyes met mine and I smiled.

Wooooooh! I am smiling?

He took two long steps and rounded around the countertop to meet me. He extended his hand, "Myself, Elliot." And I felt my legs instantly turning into noodles. He's British? Because he definitely had the accent. And damn! was that a good one?

He was clad in a grey t-shirt and loose army pants and flip-flops and yet he somehow managed to rock the look as if just rolled out of a morning magazine.

He grinned and I snapped out of my trance, placing my hand in his big and warm one, "Cassandra."

Just when I started to regain my heartbeats, he brought my hand up and up, softly grazing his lips across my knuckles. I swallowed so hard. My lips dried, devoid of any moisture.

I heard a chuckle which took my attention away from him and over to Jeanette crunching cereal in her mouth while laughing at us. She swallowed and said, "Every girl fell for that. I did too."

Mortifying heat spread through me and Elliot let go of my hand. His beautiful green eyes took my breath away and playfully stayed on mine. "Don't listen to her. She's lying. And just jealous." He winked and I knew he was the one lying not her.

I licked my lips, looking away, and took a seat beside Jeanette wanting something to do with my hands other than just look at them.

Elliot grabbed a bowl and some cereal but then scrunched his nose. He glanced at me and smiled, "Where are my manners? Whah yah wanna eat?" He said in that deep thick accent and my insides melted.

Jeanette cut in before I could reply, "Like you can cook!"

He rolled his eyes and leaned into the fridge, making me smile. It was loaded to the peak.

"Well, we have everything...but can't."

I beamed.

Clearing my throat, I spoke, "Well, I don't want cereal. And I can cook." There... it wasn't that hard. I did it. I could totally rock having friends. Or I hoped so. I added, "I-I... can cook. Pancakes anyone?"

You should've seen how quickly Jeanette dumped her cereal in the trash while Elliot twirled around with a goofy grin.

"Are you kidding me?"

"Where have you been all my life?" That was Mr. British accent.

"Please! I'm starving."

"I want ten!"

"I want more than him!!"

I laughed as they both kept on having one-sided conversations. This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I grabbed the ingredients to make vanilla and chocolate chip pancakes. I liked making from scratch so I started working on it while they both offered to help. But there wasn't much to do for them so I just shook my head.

Jeanette excused herself saying she badly needed to shower or she was going to throw up. It was funny because she smelled fine.

I stirred the mixture until I was satisfied. I left the bowl on the island, checking If the pan was heated already or not.

"So... I heard. How long are you guys going to be here?" Elliot said and quickly added in a rush, "I didn't mean it in a rude way. Just curious. Not like I want you all to go, I mean--"

I turned around, smiling. "Six months maybe. That is if Easton didn't kick us out before that."

He chuckled, clearly knowing what I meant. Did he say anything about me to him? "Then you can always come and stay with me." My jaw dropped, as he laughed, adding, "I meant all you guys-- I still have yet to meet your brothers. You have two, right?"

I nodded, telling him about them.

"So, how you know Easton?"

He jumped up on the island, beside the stove and shrugged, gazing down at me. "Best friends since second grade."

I grinned. I didn't know how it'd feel to have childhood friends. We were never at one place for long.

I spread the batter on the pan and watched as bubbles started to appear and turned it over. This time his voice was close-- not too close though. "And he can't throw all of you out even if he wanted to. His dad makes the decisions around here."

That should have brought some relief to me but it didn't.

There was something not right in his voice when he said that. Was it anger? But, why would that be?

"So you're saying, we are safe for six months?" I joked. Anything better than silence.

He laughed, as I flipped another pancake around. "I guess. But, I was serious that you-- all-- can come stay with me." His dimples. Gosh! I was without doubt drooling over myself.

"Or me." Jeanette walked in. Her hair wet, beautifully dressed in a vertical striped blue and black dress. She winked at me and added, "I would love to have someone who can make pancakes."

I chuckled. "Thank you guys but, I think we'll manage."

I plated a couple of pancakes and a fight broke between the two for who would get those.

I laughed and quickly made some more. We all fell into a comfortable series of useless conversations. Elliot lives alone in a penthouse around fifteen minutes from here. His parents divorced around two years ago and apparently, both his mom and dad needed some time alone to figure out their lives or some BS like that. He didn't seem upset about it though. In fact, he was happier than I thought anyone would be while talking about something this serious.

Jeanette lived with her parents and a younger brother on the other side of the town-- which was almost forty to fifty minutes away. She sounded weird when she spoke about her parents or her life but Elliot didn't seem to notice it. Or maybe he already knew something I didn't. Maybe it was just in my head.

"Well my dad got a job in the IT company but, he couldn't take us with him. He wanted us to have a little of normalcy. His words not mine."

"You guys moved around a lot?" Elliot asked chewing on his bite, his dark brow raised in anticipation. I wasn't yet ready to talk about all of it.

So I shrugged and nodded, turning around towards the stove. I made tons of pancakes while answering their easy questions and laughed when they fought over something childish.

Was this how it felt like having friends?

They seemed pretty cool with what I wore or how. Unlike others who thought I was a boy. Yeah... ouch.

I wanted to yell in their faces and say, "Are you blind? These are boobs and see... I have long hair which falls off my shoulders asshole."

But, I never did. I just shut my mouth and blended into the background, staying invisible. Sometimes it was hard for me to believe that good existed in this world. So I always grabbed mom's journal and read through it. Every phase she scribbled lightened my insides no matter how many times I had already read it.

"Cass?" I heard Jamey's groggy voice.

Smiling, I yelled, "IN HERE!!"

A couple of seconds later, he walked in. His nose still glued to the book in his hands.

"Pancakes." He nodded and walked without looking, bumping his foot with the leg of a bar stool.

"Ow, that hurt." He whined, he looked up and gaped, realizing I wasn't alone in here.

"Jamey say Hi to Jeanette and Elliot. Guys, this is Jamey; my younger brother."

The question in their eyes and reaction on their faces told me what I already knew they were thinking. Everyone had the same when they met him.

Jamey and Tabby were adopted. My parents always wanted to have two kids. One their own and one adopted. But when they were about to finalize for the adoption papers after Alden's birth, I made an unexpected entry.

When mom realized she was pregnant with me, they dropped the idea of adoption for some time. But after my birth, my parents decided to give not one but two children a secured home with good lives.

Elliot jumped from his stool and shook his hand while Jeanette asked him to sit beside her.

He grinned and obliged. He pushed his glasses up which always kept on sliding down his nose, and spoke, "Did you guys knew everyone had a unique tongue print just like fingerprints?"

And we laughed. I made a plate for him and slid it to him while Elliot asked more about facts-- which on his part was a mistake because then Jamey didn't stop talking.

Jeanette appeared truly amused by all this.

She looked at me and smiled. "Can you make some for East too?" East? I wanted to gag and laugh at the same time. Like a direction? Lol. That was a bad joke. I know, sorry.

Can I put some chili powder in it too?

I was tempted to ask but for an obvious reason didn't.

I smiled and nodded at her.

"You're the best." I was?

A couple of minutes later Tabby and a guy who had sandy brown hair and light blue eyes walked in, who by the way had an arm around her waist while she giggled until her eyes settled on me.

Immediately she straightened and made him drop his arm.

"Hi.... you're cooking," She gazed around. "pancakes. How lovely!" She didn't even eat pancakes.

I scowled at her and turned the stove off. "Can I talk to you for a second, outside?" Then my gaze fell on the sandy brown hair guy-- who looked really interested in gawking at my breasts. At least he saw them.

I grabbed her arm before she could argue and rushed outside and didn't stop until we were back in the living room.

"You--"

She raised both her hands up and ushered, "It's not what it seems like. I did not sleep with him. We didn't even kiss, I promise. He's one of Easton's close friend and they are allowed to sleepover. I just met him while coming down the stairs. He's nice and last night we hit it off..."

She grabbed my shoulders and jumped excitedly. "He's so awesome and makes me laugh in every two minutes. He thinks I'm beautiful," I rolled my eyes.

"Which you are..."

She pouted, "I know! But, hearing him say was different, you know..."

I shook my head, as I crossed my arms. "No, I don't."

She sighed and placed her hands on her hips. Jutting her bottom lip out, she said, "I know my limits. I know no sex before 18 and I know what Alden will do if he so much as doubt about this. But," she bit her lip, blinking at me her cute puppy dog eyes.

And I shook my head. "I'm not lying for you to him. No way!"

She grabbed me in a hug. "Pleaseeee? And it's not lying. It's just not telling the truth. Think of it like withholding a little of piece of unnecessary information."

"It's important and he should know--"

"Just this once? Please? It's a new place and it's a better fresh start than any we ever had in the past. Which means we can still keep friends which we'll make now. Please, Cass. I promise to be careful and everything."

Damn her!!

I sighed. Which meant I agreed. I agreed!!

She made me twirl around and rushed back inside the kitchen. Even though we were the same age, she would always be my little sister. Always.

"What was that about?" Alden's voice made me jump in my skin.

CRAP!

I turned around, as casually as I could and looked him in the eyes. "Uh... what?" I played dumb.

"Why was Tabby so excited?" I sighed, glad he didn't hear anything.

I licked my lips. "Oh, that was...nothing. I made pancakes."

A grin broke on his face and he literally sprinted into the kitchen and before I could give him a heads up about Jeanette, it was already too late.

He stood at the doorway, looking dead-shocked at Jeanette who had her eyes locked with his. Paleness didn't look good on her. Her eyes wide and her lip twitching. Her gaze fell on me and she frowned, unable to make the connection.

And then she stopped breathing altogether. She must have noticed the similarities between us.

Didn't she know he was my brother?

Oh... shit!

I bit my lip and grabbed his arm, whispering. "Act casual. Please. She's my first friend and someone to Easton." Last part caught his attention and made me relax a little.

His eyes searched mine and I knew he saw the happiness there. I was first time making friends and I liked that.

He walked in and casually took a seat beside Jamey away from Jeanette. Elliot must have sensed something because he gazed between the three of us like a tennis match in a climax.

I smiled, "Well, meet Alden. My older brother." Jeanette looked down at her plate while Elliot shook Alden's hand. "Elliot."

I cleared my throat so only Jeanette could hear me. "It's fine." Her shoulders relaxed, visibly.

"Jeanette." She mumbled, still not looking at him. Alden barely nodded and then growled, "Food?" at me.

I laughed and swiftly made him his plate. "Now, I'll do the rest of the cooking. You come here and eat." Elliot stood up, grinning at me.

Jeanette and I broke into a hysteria of laughter. About an hour ago I asked him to get me a bowl and a mixer and he was like 'WHAT?'

"I think I'll manage." I chuckled, pushing him back into his place and walking to the stove.

The door to the kitchen opened again and I swung around ready to ask how many pancakes they would want but words turned acid in my throat and I almost dropped the rest of the batter I held.

In all his morning beauty stood Easton gazing around at us as if he'd forgotten we existed-- probably he did. Because he looked surprised. Not in a good way. The kitchen was spacious but, with all of us in there it was packed, the chatter had ceased in the room. Drop dead silence.

His eyes met mine only for a fraction of a second before he walked to Jeanette, who was pale again-- this girl wasn't good at hiding things.

He narrowed his eyes at her and asked, "You okay? You look pale."

Alden stiffened and stood up. Maybe ready to leave?

She smiled and shook her head. "I'm fine. I just had world's best pancakes. You should grab some before Elliot gobbles them all."

Easton smiled.

Smiled!!

Wow. And could he smile?

What's up with everyone having dimples here? Almost every one. Were they selling it for free somewhere I didn't know?

Easton leaned into Jeanette and kissed her on the lips. Like the kiss you get in the end of Hallmark movies.

Jeanette's arms stiffened but she quickly relaxed and kissed him back. I wanted to look away. I really did but the way his lips moved, I was definitely going to moan. WHAT?

His brown t-shirt from last night still stuck to his skin, displaying his firm packs beneath the thin material. His black track pants hung too low on his waist. His hair all messed up.

I was already getting lightheaded!

I tore my eyes away from him to look at Alden and immediately felt the urge to pull him in a hug. His whole body was rigid. His jaw seemed hardened and a nerve was throbbing in his forehead. He looked seconds away from beating the shit out of Easton.

Alden didn't look like himself. He looked like he was going to rip Easton's head off or maybe just pull him away and kiss her himself.

Instead to placing my hand on the island like a sane person, I accidentally placed it on the stove and screamed, jerking back like I was electrified. The burning sensation shot through my hand to my shoulder and I cried out loud.

"Jeez! What's wrong?"

"What happened?"

"Did you burn your hand?"

"Cass! I told you to be careful!"

"You okay?" Alden was at my side in seconds and Elliot and Jamey and Tabby echoed.

Tears tickled my eyes but I wasn't going to cry in front of them. In front of him. I glanced back up and saw the kiss had broken and they were staring at me.

I looked away and down at my red hand. I could already see the start of a burnt scar.

My palm had turned darkest shade of red and it was blazing as if I'd put it on the fire and not on the pan.

Alden turned on cold side faucet, letting my hand feel little relieved. I took a refreshing breath because slowly it started to feel so good under the icy water, the burning sensation subsided.

"You should've been more careful." He pointed at me, glaring with angry eyes. I didn't know whose anger he tried to throw at me. But, I could guess.

I rolled my eyes, trying to smile. "It's fine. I just placed my hand on it for like a second." And it was hurting like I had it on for hours. Hell years!

"Does not look like fine to me. The burn is brutal." Elliot's voice was right behind me and I shivered from his closeness.

"I really am fine guys."

"I'll go and get the medicine." Jeanette rushed out-- probably happy to have an escape for couple of minutes. Or not. I sat at the bar stool beside Jamey who kept on telling me about the bacteria and how long the pain was supposed to last.

Tabby leaned down and placed her hand on my arm, trying to force a smile for me, "You are really pale." I swallowed the lump in my throat. Probably because I was holding my tears back and it was hurting like bitch.

But I refused to cry.

I shook my head. "I'm fine."

"Can I have some pancakes now, if you all are done with this drama? I'm starving." The voice groaned. I looked over at Easton and he appeared bored at best. Like what just happened didn't concern him. It probably didn't. How was he human only with her around?

He glanced at me and sneered.

I looked away because it hurt. One minute ago, I saw him smile and kiss Jeanette like he had a freaking heart. Apparently, it seemed that the same heart vanished when it came to me.

His eyes were cold and they washed over me like an ice bucket. Chills spread through my whole body.

"Dude, seriously?" Elliot stepped in front of him, his back to me.

Easton shrugged. "What? I'm hungry man."

"THEN GET WHATEVER FUCKING YOU WANT YOURSELF!" Alden yelled from beside me. His face all red.

CRAP.

Easton jumped off the stool, ready for the unannounced fight.

Super CRAP.

My heart was thudding in my throat and my stomach twisted inside of me. I opened my mouth to speak when Easton intruded, "Well, you guys are going to be here for awhile, right? So why not be of some use to me?" He raised a brow, as if what he just implied was normal.

Anger rose in me in waves.

Did he just imply what I understood? That we were to do things for him? That we were nothing but slaves to him until we were under his roof?

I bit the inside of my cheek to refrain myself from lashing out at him. But Alden didn't. He grabbed his neck and both of them started to throw punches at each other. Elliot jumped in and pulled them apart and yelled, "Back off! Can we just take care of Cassandra first?"

Both their eyes downed on me but I only held my brother's gaze, shaking my head at him. It wasn't worth it.

He wasn't worth it.

Jeanette's small voice sliced the thick silence we all fell into "What's going on here?" Her hands held the medicine box just too tight, turning her knuckles white. I looked at my brother and then at Easton and then back at her.

Oh... NO.

It dawned on me what it must look like from her eyes and I jumped in before she could start crying and explaining herself to Easton. "Nothing. Guys you know... Easton tried to take Alden's pancake." I gave her a nonexistent shook of my head, and saw her breathe again.

It was a joke but no one laughed. Not even me.

"Well, you all can get out if you want to fight." She humored us all and I smiled.

After she spread the cool ointment over my hand, I breathed better. One day in and I already got a burnt hand. Freaking Fantastic!

____________

I hope you guys like it so far. Any feedback would be welcome.

THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

PLEASE, VOTE/COMMENT/SHARE/LOVE.

~D <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

James By Izzy

Teen Fiction

88K 1.5K 31
⚠️Warning there is abuse in this story so if that is a trigger for you I recommend you do not read it, also there is sexual content so be aware⚠️ ...
1.4M 32.2K 44
The Wattpad draft! Not the final version. I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Never had a one-night stand," "A one-night stand huh?" he smirked, "And what...
55.6K 1.9K 45
I suddenly crashed to the floor, my papers flying everywhere "Watch where you're going, Jesus!" The middle one said and kept walking. "Hey, asshole...
179K 5.7K 81
His hands cold, his eyes dark holding something that no one knows. A dark aura on him that makes people stay away. He's a loner, everyone avoids him...